Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Back on track

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Well done on a great determined run Figs, nice to meet you before the race.

Ended up with 70:44 but happy enough with that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think I'm the only one that felt better on the second lap than the first. Nice to meet you again even if I forogt about the first time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done figs, great time, great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Nice to meet you again even if I forogt about the first time. :D

Next time I'll step on your toes... just so you won't forget! :D

Week 9.7 - Skip Planned 12m run
    Calf was strained after Saturdays race, so decided rest would be better than risking it.

Brings an end to a fairly low mileage week... I'd planned to throttle back because of the race, but not this much!! Only 23 miles for the week.

Week 9 | Mileage | Time | Pace | Comment
    Mon|Rest|||
    Tues| 4.2m | 29:25 | 6:56 | Tempo Run around Park.
    Wed| 9.15m |1:07:25 | 7:20 | Felt easy.
    Thurs| Rest|||
    Fri| Rest|||
    Sat| 10m|1:09:24|6:56| Frank Duffy 10 + 1.5w/u + 1.5c/d
    Sun| Rest||| Strained Calf - Skip 12m Recovery
    Weekly Total | 23.35 | 2:46 | 7:07 |

Wk 10.1 - Rest
    Calf still sore. Decided another day of rest is best.

Wk 10.2 - 4m / 27:49 @ 6:56 pace
    Calf was much better today. Two days of massage and rest have helped a lot. Took it easy around the park tonight, but legs just wanted to run after two days of resting, so was quick enough in the end. Could have gone a lot quicker and further, but was conscious not to over do it after the calf strain.

9m planned for tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Did you feel the calf injury on Saturday? It's horrible to be pegged back after a good race performance.

Did you feel the calf injury on Saturday? It's horrible to be pegged back after a good race performance.

Didn't feel anything during the race, but started to tighten up that evening, and wasn't until Sunday morning that I realised I needed to give it a break for a day or so... all fine now :D.

Wk 10.3 - 9m / 63min @ 7:00pace
    Did a run before work this morning. A nice flat road route along Ballsbridge / Booterstown / Blackrock / Seapoint... there's something satisfying about going faster than commuter traffic:D

My GPS was playing up again (might mean a shopping trip for another toy!) so something about the recorded time / distance was wrong. I checked map my run, and the distance was right. Time said 57:45, which couldn't be right. I estimate it was about 63min, judging by the good old start time (07:00) / finish time (08:03) method!

Still a nice flat run, and reasonably quick. No ill effects from the leg. 4 miles planned for tomorrow. Might try to make them a bit quicker.

figs wrote: »
    Didn't feel anything during the race, but started to tighten up that evening, and wasn't until Sunday morning that I realised I needed to give it a break for a day or so... all fine now :D.

Sounds like a classic case of long run avoidance to me. :pac:

Wk 10.4 - Rest
    Skipped Thursdays 4 miler due to other committments. Rescheduled for Friday.

Wk 10.5 - 4m / 28:54 @ 7:13 pace
    Nice run around park this evening. Planned to be very easy at about 8:00 pace, and started off that way. Unfortunately it go progressively faster, with the last mile at 6:23... just can't seem to take it nice and slowly on these short runs.

Splits:
    1 - 7:46
    2 - 7:23
    3 - 7:17
    4 - 6:23

Felt good, and nice evening for it. Tomorrow I have a 9 miler, and Sunday a 19 miler :eek:

Week 10 | Mileage | Time | Pace | Comment
    Mon|Rest|||
    Tues| 4.0| 27:49 | 6:56 | Tempo Run around Park.
    Wed| 9.0m |1:03:00 | 7:00 | Flat costal run.
    Thurs| Rest|||
    Fri| 4.0m|28:54| 7:13|
    Sat| |||
    Sun| |||
    Weekly Total | | | |

Wk 10.6 - 20m / 2:53:54 @ 8:41 pace
    Replaced todays 9m run with an early morning LSR in the company of Woddle & RAL3. Felt good throughout. Nice run from Rathfarnham to Phoenix Park and back. Felt strong afterwards, which was good, as I got home, showered, and was out the door to take junior for an hour and a half around the park!

9 mile recovery run planned for tomorrow.

Mon|Rest|||
    Wed| 9.0m |1:03:00 | 7:00 | Flat costal run.
    Thurs| Rest|||
    Sat| 20.0 | 2:53:54 | 8:41 | Felt good.
    Sun| |||
    Weekly Total | | | |
    [/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

Wk 10.7 - 9m / 1:14:30 @ 8:16 pace
    No problems going slowly today... After yesterdays 20m, it was enough just to get the legs moving. Also had to contend with a gale blowing along Dollymount strand, so wasn't going to break any records today. Nice run. Reckon i got the best of the weather today.

Decent week of training. Looking forward to uping the mileage slightly next week.

Mon|Rest|||
    Wed| 9.0m |1:03:00 | 7:00 | Flat coastal run.
    Thurs| Rest|||
    Sat| 20.0 | 2:53:54 | 8:41 | Felt good.
    Sun| 9.0 | 1:14:30|8:16| Flat coastal run.
    Weekly Total | 46.0m | 6:08 | 7:40|

Wk 11.1 - Cross Train(ish)
    Well, not exactly cross training, but cleaning up garage/garden, and hauling heavy lumps of timber about constitutes some kind of training...

Wk 11.2 - 5.6m / 38:37 @ 6:53 pace
    Was raring to go this evening, started briskly, and kept it up. Nice evening for it, and felt strong. Slowed a little in the last .6 mile.

Splits as follows:
    1 - 6:48
    2 - 6:35
    3 - 6:58
    4 - 6:38
    5 - 6:52
    5.6 - 3:38 @ 7:11 pace

Week 11 | Mileage | Time | Pace | Comment
    Mon|Rest|||
    Tues| 5.6| 38:37| 6:53 | Fast Run around Park.
    Wed| | | |
    Thurs| | | |
    Fri| | | |
    Sat| | | |
    Sun| | | |
    Weekly Total | | | |
    [/QUOTE]

Wk 11.3 - 10.23m / 1:17:00 @ 7:31 pace
    Tried to hold sub-PMP today on a relatively flat early morning run from Ballsbridge to Dun Laoghaire and back. Was fairly comfortable at that pace, and kept it for the duration. There was a few moments in mile 9 where I was tempted to slow, but was just lack of concentration more than any fatigue.

5 miles planned for tomorrow, but may have to skip to Friday to fit in with life stuff...

Mon|Rest|||
    Tues| 5.6| 38:37| 6:53 | Fast Run around Park.
    Wed| 10.2 | 1:17:00| 7:31| Flat Coastal Run - sub-PMP
    Thurs| | | |
    Fri| | | |
    Sat| | | |
    Sun| | | |
    Weekly Total | | | |

Wk 11.4 - 5.13m / 38:45@ 7:33 pace
    Run around park this evening. Comfortable pace. Really didn't feel like heading out this evening, as was really tired. As always, I was glad I did! Felt so much better for it. Looking forward to rest tomorrow, then 30m over the weekend. :eek:

Mon|Rest|||
    Tues| 5.6m | 38:37| 6:53 | Fast Run around Park.
    Wed| 10.2m | 1:17:00| 7:31| Flat Coastal Run - sub-PMP
    Thurs| 5.1m | 38:45 | 7:33 | Easy Run around Park.
    Fri| | | |
    Sat| | | |
    Sun| | | |
    Weekly Total | | | |

Wk 11.5 - 10.25m / 1:20:00@ 7:48pace
    Work committments screw up my running plans for the weekend, so had to get my 10 miler in tonight. Was slower than I'd planned, but was feeling tired after the last three days, and hadn't really planned on running today.

Tomorrow will be a rest day, and 22 miles squeezed in some time on Sunday.

Mon|Rest|||
    Fri| 10.25m | 1:20:00 | 7:48 | Slow run on roads
    Sat| | | |
    Sun| | | |
    Weekly Total | | | |
    [/QUOTE]

Wk 11.7 - 21.0m / 2:53:00@ 8:14pace
    Early miles this morning. Fairly comfortable all the way. The last few miles started getting hard, and took them slowly (8:45 pace). Schedule actually said 20 (not 22 as I previously posted), so I compromised at 21.

Started from Santry, and dodged my way through puddles of puke from Saturday nights excesses to Phoenix Park. A loop of the park and back again. Needed to do a 3 mile loop at the end to make up the 21 miles, and these were slow.

All in all, pretty happy, and felt strong enough at the end too. First 50+ weekly mileage. Drop back a bit next week :D, then ramp up for second cycle :eek:.

Mon|Rest|||
    Fri| 10.25m | 1:20:00 | 7:48 | Slow run on roads
    Sat| Rest | | |
    Sun| 21.0m | 2:53:00| 8:14| Nice early miles
    Weekly Total | 52.2 | 6:47ish | 7:40ish|

Wk 12.1 - Rest
    Nothing after yesterdays session. Was feeling a bit stiff.

Wk 12.2 - 5.6m / 39:15 @ 7:00 pace
    Started easy enough around the park. Picked it up to sub-7 pace. Nice evening for run. Felt good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good week last week, as for those 7.31 miles being "sub" PMP, you know what KC (I think) says, better to fail at a tough target than accomplishiong an easier one. So lower that Marathon target!!!!

christeb wrote: »
    Good week last week, as for those 7.31 miles being "sub" PMP, you know what KC (I think) says, better to fail at a tough target than accomplishiong an easier one. So lower that Marathon target!!!!

That kind of slaggin' will never make me change my mind!!
    Ran it last year (injured) in 83 something.

All going well this year, hoping for sub-73!
    christeb wrote: »
    Figs, I reckoon you should be sub 70 at least, even going by your last time in the 5m :) You've been doing good training, I don't want to hear any excuses!
    Fair point... I guess I'm doing the opposite to you and "underpredicting" my time!

By my 5 mile time, McMillan says sub-70, so I'll revise to sub-70. Happy now?? :D

Hmmm... okay, you caught me on a bad day before! No, I think sub-3:20 is realistic, and for the moment I'm sticking to it... at least until after the Dublin Half. After that we'll see what Mr McMillan has to say!

Wk 12.3 - Skip 6m run
    :( Tired - late home from work so pushing out a day.

Wk 12.4 - Skip 5m run
    :mad::mad: Absolutely mad day at work. In very early. Home very late... absolutely knackered. Missus had to go out when I got back, so couldn't get out running.

This week was supposed to be a relatively easy week according to my schedule, but this is just ridiculous!

Friday night 11m without fail.

• Advertisement

A really tough week at work had a big negative impact on my running this week. Five early starts an a few late nights really didn't make it easy. Felt tired this weekend and todays LSR showed it.

Wk 12.5 - 4m / 28:25 @ 7:03 pace
    Forced myself out the door on Friday evening for a short 4 miles before I took over child minding duty.

Wk 12.6 - skip - Glendalough Navigation Course
    Attended a very beneficial navigation course explained excellently by Paul Nolan.

Wk 12.7 - 17.16 / 2:22:00 @ 8:16 pace
    I don't often pick terrible running routes, but today I did. I left my LSR until after lunch, so conscious that I didn't want to go anywhere near Phibsboro / Drumcondra with the Hurling final on today, I decided to head northwards, out past the airport, through Swords, and for a lap of Malahide Castle and back. However, the first and last 4 miles were awful, running on busy roads with almost non-existant footpaths, and lots of traffic. After Swords theroute was quite nice. For the first 10 miles I felt good, and was averaging about 7:30 min/mile. After 11.5 miles, I hit the wall. I just had no energy. The last 5 miles were a sluggish hell. Felt like stopping a few times, but struggled on.

And so ends a disasterous week. New week starts tomorrow. Wedding to attend next Saturday complicates the LSR, so will have to squeeze it in during the week.

Weekly mileage - 26.76m / 3:29:30 hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I feel bad now having done my lovely mountain route this morning on my own :D just in a different order, I ended up attacking the hill at mile 9 instead of 4 and I had lovely weather.
    Don't worry about the week, a good week next week will put it out of the mind.
    After Berlin we must meet up for a few scenic lsrs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

The last 5 miles were a sluggish hell. Felt like stopping a few times, but struggled on.
    those 5 wil be the best you ever did.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

For the first 10 miles I felt good, and was averaging about 7:30 min/mile. After 11.5 miles, I hit the wall. I just had no energy. The last 5 miles were a sluggish hell. Felt like stopping a few times, but struggled on.
    Sounds like a very rough week. Would you not start off with the slow miles, and leave the quick miles to later in the run? Less chance of running out of steam and if you do hit the wall, at least you're closer to home.

Sounds like a very rough week. Would you not start off with the slow miles, and leave the quick miles to later in the run? Less chance of running out of steam and if you do hit the wall, at least you're closer to home.

Yes, I suppose that makes sense, but I'm usually okay on a long run. I do finish slower, but and can keep a reasonable pace (7:30 to 8:30) all the way through. That day I was plodding at 10:00 pace at one stage! I think it was just a combination of things that had got to me... I had a tiring week at work with lots of early starts and late nights.

That all being said, last week wasn't much better, but I chose not to worry about it. I had a wedding to go to on Sat, and decided I was going to enjoy it. It wrote Sunday off, so total mileage was only 25 miles, but done relatively quickly.

Wk 13.3 - 10 miles / 71 mins @ 7:10 pace

Wk 13.6 - 15 miles / 1:50:30 @ 7:22 pace

I've tweaked my schedule a bit now to ramp up for the next four weeks with 3 long runs (20, 21, 20), then start the taper. Also planning to race the Dublin half on 26th Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

Hey Figs!!!

Your training appears to be going well overall, one bad week won't make a difference to you in the greater scheme of things!!

Are you planning on running hard at the half marathon, or will you use this as a step back week in your schedule??

Hi RR,

Yup, training's been going well in general, but the last two weeks have been cat. I guess it will be the next 6 weeks that will really determine how the DCM goes.

I'm planning to race the half... so no talking on the hills!!! :D

I've debated this a few times over the last week, as the chance of injury is much greater, it will take me a day or two to recover, etc. etc. However, I know I just won't be able to take it handy... besides, I've the ghosts of Achill to exorsise! :p

Wk 14.2 - 5m / 34:15 @ 6:50 pace
    Eventful night of running... got chased by a dog who was being playful. I didn't see it until it was right on top of me, so scared the sh!t out of me and and caused me to slip. No harm done, and still managed to keep a steady 6:50 pace the whole way round. Felt good tonight... finally banishing the guilty feelings of the last two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

Am in a similiar dilema myself??? Do I race the half or use it a PMP??? Probably decide to race this when the number arrives in the post :rolleyes:.

Have you a pre race time in mind?? Given our times for both the 5 and the 10 miles you may have company on the way round!! However this time I will limit the conversation until after the race :D!!!

• Advertisement

Have you a pre race time in mind?? Given our times for both the 5 and the 10 miles you may have company on the way round!!

According to McMillan I should be clocking a 1:32:10 based on my 10 mile time, which also equates to a 3:14 marathon, which I think I'm still a few minutes off.

I'll be happy with anything sub-1:35 for the half, which puts me in my predicted target zone of 3:20 for DCM.

However this time I will limit the conversation until after the race :D!!!

You're more than welcome to talk, just don't expect an answer!! :D

Wk 14.3 - 10m / 1:16:30 @ 7:39 pace
    Nice easy run this morning before work. Wasn't pushing as coud feel last nights run still in my legs.

Advertisement