Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back on track

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well done on your PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Thanks for all the congratulations guys! :)

I'm happy with the run today, and tired tonight! Spent the afternoon looking after my son, and chasing after him in the playgound, so am absolutely knackered tonight!

A 14 mile LSR planned for tomorrow morning... again back to the Park!

For the record, my splits from today were (approx):
    1. - 6:22
    2. - 6:29
    3. - 6:33
    4. - 6:52
    5. - 6:32
    + 0.052 @ 6:32 - whatever my deviation from the racing line

Fairly steady for me. I tend to go out too quickly, but was fairly disciplined today. Mile 4 was the hill that slowed me down, and looks like everyone was in the same boat looking at others' splits.

Roll on the Frank Duffy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

Hey Figs, Firstly well done on the PB. Mile 3 probably wasn't the ideal meeting place for an introduction!! :D You looked a little tired before I said hello but fair play you gritted the teeth and pushed on which wasn't easy on those hills. Although I pushed on I did pay for it towards the end and finished in a chip time of 32:50, a PB for me by almost 7 minutes...

Best of luck with the rest of the training and I will see you at the 10 miler!!

congrats on your PB too Ruarl Runner! Seven minutes is certainly smashing the previous time!!

Was back to the Park again very early this morning, and set off for a LSR with jeffontour. The weather was a bit soft to start off with, but brightened up after the first hour, and the chat was good throughout. Enjoyed this run. Legs felt a bit dead towards the end, but is to be expected after yesterdays effort.

Wk 5.7
    15.7 miles / 130min @ 8:20 pace (approx)

Weekly total - Wk 5 - 34.2 miles

Start of week 6, and things going well so far.

Felt pretty good after yesterdays 15 miler. No ill effects at all.

This week is relatively easy, with anticipating ramp up in milage next week. Plan for the week:

6.1 - Cross training
    6.2 - 3 mile
    6.3 - 7 mile
    6.4 - 3 mile
    6.5 - Rest
    6.6 - 8 mile
    6.7 - 10 mile

Went swimming tonight as my cross training. I haven't been swimming in about 2 years, and it's a real weakness. I am really terrible. I'msure I look like I'm having a fit, but it get's me to the other end of the pool.

Got a good deal on a gym membership, so planning three short pool sessions per week to compliment training. Triathlon here I come!! :D

• Advertisement

Wk 6.2 - 3.6mi / 29:30 @ 8:11 pace

Nice easy run tonight around the park. Ground was a bit wet, but evening was nice and sunny which made a change to the rest of the day... so much for July!

Legs felt a bit dead after Sundays LSR, so was a slow plod around. Wore a pair of shorts that I'd had chafing trouble with in the past, but reckoned they'd be ok for a short run... the inside of my thighs do not agree! Won't be doing that again!

Planned 7 mile run tomorrow. Will have a different pair of shorts!

Wk 6.3 - 7.4mi / 56:00 min @ 7:34 pace

Today was my triathlon day! No, I'm not changing sports, and am definitely focused on the running. However, I started the day with a swim in the pool (500m approx), cycled to work and back(10km + 10km) and finished with a 7 mile run this evening :D!

But it was hard getting my ass of the couch this evening to go for the run. It was pissing it down, and I was feeling really lazy... thought after the first two miles were going to kill me, and were done at about 8:15 pace, but things improved after that, and I managed the final mile at 6:12 pace!

3 miles tomorrow. Then relatively easy weekend.

Wk 6.4 - Skipped Planned 3m session - Had tough day and felt way to tired to run. Cycled 20k instead.

Wk 6.5 - Rest Day

Wk 6.6 - 8m / 57:30 @ 7:11 pace
    Nice tempo run down Dollymount early this morning. Gorgeous morning. It actually felt hot! Pace was good. I was happy with the session. I think the two days of rest helped a lot. Splits as follows:

1 - 7:01
    2 - 6:53
    3 - 7:07
    4 - 7:17
    5 - 7:11
    6 - 7:26
    7 - 7:21
    8 - 7:08

I reckon I'm going to need a whole lot more of these if I aim to make my 3:20:00 target. My race pace target will be 7:38, so need to get in a good few miles / longer runs running at a faster pace.

Wk 6.7 - 13m / 1:42 @ 7:50 pace

Woke up to a terrible morning of wind and rain this morning, and my enthusiasm for running had abandoned me. Nevertheless, I had a standing arrangement to be in the Park for a run at 08:00, so I dragged my ass out of bed got ready, and headed to the Park.

By the time I got there, the sky had turned blue, and the sun was out! It was at that point I regretted bringing the running tights and not the shorts!

There was a provisional plan to meet with a few others, but they were no show, so had 13 miles at a pace I felt comfortable with... and it was pretty fast for me.

I know the LSR should be done 60's - 90's slower than PMP, but things just felt good this morning, so I kept up the pace. The longer runs I plan to do slower to up my running time.

Splits as follows:
    1 - 7:09
    2 - 7:23
    3 - 7:46
    4 - 8:03
    5 - 8:13
    6 - 8:06
    7 - 7:28
    8 - 7:50
    9 - 7:55
    10 - 8:04
    11 - 8:15
    12 - 8:08
    13 - 7:53

Mileage Week 6 - 32 miles
    Milage Total - 168 miles

Does cutting the grass count as cross training? Okay, I'm pushing the limits of the definition of cross training here, but was feeling very lazy tonight. Mos I could muster is cutting the lawn!

Was planning on going to the pool for a short swim, but the other half wanted to go for a walk, so I enthusiastically agreed to stay home and do the bathing and putting to bed for the young fella.

I am feeling lazy and tired tonight, so not a good start to week 7.

Plan for rest of week as follows:
    Week | Mileage | Time | Pace | Comment
    7.1|Cross Training|||
    7.2|4m|||
    7.3|8m|||
    7.4|4m|||
    7.5|Rest|||
    7.6|8m|||
    7.7|16m|||
    Weekly Total | | | |

Hopefully the extra day of rest will make me keener tomorrow night!

• Advertisement

Was a case of "Get off yer arse" rather than "Go get 'em" tonight. Was in work early this morning, and home late, so got home and slumped onto the couch about 8pm. Anyway, 4 miles around park and road did wonders, and I feel great after it.

Pace was good... didn't use stopwatch, but pace was sub-7:30 with a 6:30 for the last mile.

Travelling for work tomorrow, so 8 miler late tomorrow night.

7.1|Cross Training|||
    7.2|4m|30min|sub-7:30 | Felt good after.
    7.3|8m|||
    7.4|4m|||
    7.5|Rest|||
    7.6|8m|||
    7.7|16m|||
    Weekly Total | | | |

Swim this morning, then travelling for work today, and was late back this evening, so skipped todays run. Planned for tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

figs wrote: »
    Swim this morning, then travelling for work today, and was late back this evening, so skipped todays run. Planned for tomorrow morning.

I'm going to help motivate you here :D
    Do you want your brother to run quicker than you :D

Only joking, I'd hate to be working and trying to fit training in.

Woddle wrote: »
    Do you want your brother to run quicker than you :D

Unfortunately, he's dropped out, so I need something else to get my ass in gear! :D

Just a topsy turvy week this week, which just happened to be the same week where i up to over 40 miles! Didn't want to slip behind, but couldn't face 8 miles this evening. Much prefer running in mornings, so early start tomorrow!

Had to split my session today, due to work and home committments... Commute to and from work of 6.3 miles each way, approx 45mins each journey. Approx 7:10 pace.

Things definitely getting easier. This run used to be a battle, and used to take at least 48 mins. Today I just seemed to fly it. Happy days!

Wk 7.6 - 16.2 / 144 @ 9:00 pace

Early morning run today at 07:30 around Rathfarnham / Rockbrook / Marley areas.

Got the best of the day as it was nice, sunny and warm. Joined Woddle, Ultraman1, Gerard65 and kevinkilbane. Banter was good and the miles seemed easy.

Wk 7.7 - 8.2m / 59:45 @ 7:17 pace

Started out slowly tonight, and got progressively faster throughout the run. Was very happy with it considering the long run yesterday. Felt great after the first two miles, and just felt like I could run all night.

Splits as follows:
    1 - 7:56
    2 - 7:39
    3 - 7:17
    4 - 7:15
    5 - 7:16
    6 - 7:10
    7 - 7:16
    8 - 6:49

7.1|Cross Training|||
    7.2| 4m | 30min | sub-7:30 | Felt good after.
    7.3| Skip ||| Swim in morning.
    7.4| 12.6m | 90min | 7:08 | Split session. 6.3 + 6.3
    7.5| Rest |||
    7.6| 16.2m | 144min | 9:00 | LSR with boardsies
    7.7| 8.2m | 59:45min | 7:17 | Slow start. Negative splits.
    Weekly Total | 40.8m | 5h 23m | |

Wk 8.1 - Monday 3rd August - Rest

Wk 8.2 - 4.1m / 27:45 @ 6:45 pace

Someone put nitro in my tank tonight! :D Just took off after the first mile... it was such fun running that fast! At one stage my watch was showing 5:45 pace and it was feeling easy!!

Splits as follows:
    1 - 7:00
    2 - 7:05
    3 - 6:38
    4 - 6:26
    4.1 - 6:18

8.1|Rest|||
    8.2| 4m | 27:45 | 6:45 | Nice fast run!
    8.3| |||
    8.4| |||
    8.5| |||
    8.6| |||
    8.7| |||
    Weekly Total | | | |

Wk 8.3 - 14.7 / 1:50:00 @ 7:28 pace

Decided to run to and from work today, and it was such a nice morning, I added an extra couple of miles by the seafront before hitting the office. Such a good way to start the day!

Sessions as follows:

8.4m / 1:04:00 @ 7:37 pace - fairly slow starting off... wasn't awake for first two miles!

6.3m / 56:00 @ 7:18 pace - inc 3 miles uphill, but wind was pretty much behind me all the way home, so made it easy.

8.1|Rest|||
    8.3| 14.7m|1:50:00| 7:28 | Split sessions
    8.4| |||
    8.5| |||
    8.6| |||
    8.7| |||
    Weekly Total | | | |

Wk 8.4 - 4.2m / 29:41 @ 7:02 pace

A short tired run this evening. Although I wasn't pushing the pace, I could feel some aches and strains from yesterdays session, so held back from pushing hard. The quicker pace is definitely getting much easier, at least over the shorter distances!!

8.1|Rest|||
    8.4| 4.2m | 29:41 | 7:02 | Kept it steady. Not pushing pace.
    8.5| |||
    8.6| |||
    8.7| |||
    Weekly Total | | | |
    [/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Wk 8.4 - 4.2m / 29:41 @ 7:02 pace

The quicker pace is definitely getting much easier, at least over the shorter distances!!

I'm the same feel so much better running faster ... just need to keep it going for longer.

shels4ever wrote: »
    I'm the same feel so much better running faster ... just need to keep it going for longer.

Yup, dropping almost 4kg in weight since last March has certainly helped me. I'm sure I've another 7kg to go to be at my optimum, but finding it hard to drop it quickly... I'm a bit too fond of my junk food! Will get there slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Yup, dropping almost 4kg in weight since last March has certainly helped me. I'm sure I've another 7kg to go to be at my optimum, but finding it hard to drop it quickly... I'm a bit too fond of my junk food! Will get there slowly.
    Same boat as me, I think i've about the same weight still to drop, Seems to fall off in phases and lumps...

Wk 8.5 - Rest Day

Was a welcome rest day, moreso because of an 8 miler on Saturday and a hilly 17 on Sunday.

Wk 8.6 - 8.2m / 63:00 @ 7:37 pace

Today I realised just how much work I have to do to make a sub 3:20 marathon. Planned race pace is 7:38 for my sub-3:20 marathon.

I planned to run 8 miles at 7:00 to 7:30 pace. But after the first 4 miles, things just started falling apart. It was a warm day, and I just felt tired after 4 miles, and cut back on the pace a bit. Splits below.

1 - 7:38
    2 - 7:14
    3 - 6:57
    4 - 7:06
    5 - 8:29
    6 - 7:39
    7 - 7:56
    8 - 7:57

8.1|Rest|||
    8.5| Rest |||
    8.6| 8.2m |1:03:00| 7:37 |
    8.7| |||
    Weekly Total | | | |

Wk 8.7 - 17m / 2:16:40 @ 8:05 pace

Enjoyable 17m spin with christeb and tunguska this morning, starting from entrance to Bull Island, along coast road, up to Howth Summitt, a loop of the top, down to the village and back along the flat. The descent to the village was good... I like descending!!

Pace was quick for me, but company was good so seemed easy... tunguska was taking it easy for him, but dragging me at a pace that felt quick for a long run including steep hills!

I'm feeling it in my legs tonight. Reckon will be some stiff legs tomorrow.

Dead tired now, as ended entertaining three toddlers for the afternoon (I would have welcomed getting 40 winks at some stage!).

Just over 48 miles for the week, so happy with that at this stage. A bit of an easier week next week, and looking forward to Saturdays Frank Duffy 10.

8.1|Rest|||
    8.5| Rest |||
    8.6| 8.2m |1:03:00| 7:37 |
    8.7| 17.0m |2:16:40|8:05| Around Hilly Howth
    Weekly Total | 48.2 | 6:06:00 | 7:25 (ish)|

Wk 9.1 - Monday 10th August - Rest

Was so tired after work today, I couldn't handle hitting the gym. That's two weeks in a row where I've missed my cross training due to tiredness. Not so much due to LSR's at weekends... I've been feeling fine after, more so due to not sleeping / awake half night with teething infant!

Wk 9.2 - 4.24m / 29:25 @ 6:6 pace

Didn't sleep again last night, and felt like crawling under my desk for the afternoon. Could easily have fallen victim to the sofa, but was determined to get running tonight. As always, felt much better afterwards!

Was running in park on grass, with a strong breeze, and some gentle hills thrown in, so happy with my average pace. Compared to last Tuesday t was a bit slower, but last week was on tarmac.

Splits tonight as follows:
    1 - 6:56
    2 - 6:44
    3 - 7:03
    4 - 7:05
    4.242 - 0:54 @ 6:37 pace

Really looking forward to sleeping tonight!!

Week 9 | Mileage | Time | Pace | Comment
    Mon|Rest|||
    Tues| 4.2m | 29:25 | 6:56 | Tempo Run around Park.
    Wed| |||
    Thurs| |||
    Fri| |||
    Sat| |||
    Sun| |||
    Weekly Total | | | |

Wk 9.3 - 9.15m / 1:07:25 @ 7:20 pace

Easy run tonight around the park. It's great... I'm now calling 7:20 pace easy :D:D The harder sessions are beginning to pay off!

Didn't really feel like I was pushing it at all, and only stopped at 9 miles because I was under time pressure. Hopefully I'll feel so good on Saturday!

Plan for tomorrow is 4 very easy miles (8:00 pace max) and rest on Friday.

Splits tonight as follows:
    1 - 7:22
    2 - 7:14
    3 - 7:19
    4 - 7:20
    5 - 7:24
    6 - 7:08
    7 - 7:28
    8 - 7:19
    9 - 7:25
    9.15 @ 7:40 pace

Week 9 | Mileage | Time | Pace | Comment
    Mon|Rest|||
    Tues| 4.2m | 29:25 | 6:56 | Tempo Run around Park.
    Wed| 9.15m |1:07:25 | 7:20 | Felt easy.
    Thurs| |||
    Fri| |||
    Sat| |||
    Sun| |||
    Weekly Total | | | |
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Bad luck on the foot. Hope it gets better soon.

I got something similar a few years ago, and was also after having been on holiday... physio deducted it was probably the cheap badly fitted sandals / flip flops I'd been wearing...

He prescribed some gentle massage, and stay away from heavy foot impacts (like running). I was right as rain after a week or so. Hope you get recovered as quick.

Improving every day thanks so I hope to back for the Warriors run. I blame the sandals. I have been on the bike since so hopefully that keeps me ticking over.

BTW nice "easy" sessions there.

• Advertisement

Wk 9.4 - Rest
    Skipped 4 miles toda due to time pressure. They were going to be very slow anyway, so not really too worried.

Wk 9.5 - Rest
    Planned rest day today. Thought about making up the milage after missing yesterdays session, but with the Frank Duffy 10 on Saturday, I thought better of it.

Wk 9.6 - Frank Duffy 10 mile 2009 - Phoenix Park
    Conditions fairly good for todays race. I felt well rested, and made sure to get a good warm up in. for some reason, I always find the first mile or so tough, then it eases off.

After slipping into the 70 plus pen, I was coaxed into the sub-70 pen by some fellow Boardsies. McMillan said I should be running sub-70 after a 5 mile of 33:12, but I reckoned a 71 / 72 was more my target, and I was goaded into aiming for sub-70 by some others.

Just before the gun my GPS packed it in, so I didn't know what pace I was running. I was going to run with Woddle for most of the race, but we got seperated by the first mile mark. I was feeling ok, and I could see christeb in the distance, and I knew he was pacing for a 68+ round, so I decided to stick with him and his running mate for the first lap.

Felt terrible at the start of the second lap, and slowed a little, but picked it up again after about half a mile.

At some point on the second lap my GPS started working again, so I was able to guage my pace again, and was pleasantly supprised that I was just about on for a sub-70. At the 8 mile mark, with the majority of the hills behind us, I just had to keep the final 2 miles at 7:00 pace to make my target... It sounded easier than it was, but gritted teeth and determination won through, helped by encouragement of the Boards members gathered on the final finishng straight, and I crossed the finish line in 69:37 (69:24 - Chip). :D

Happy with my race today. Average pace of 6:55 min/mile. It was good to meet some new boards faces too, krusty clown, ral3, DathiBC, and of course the not so new ones, Gerard65, Woddle, Stmochtas, RacoonQueen, EarlyEvening, christeb. Great to see such a good Boards turnout!

Advertisement