Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Back on track

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Wk 14 - Total 15 miles
    Another poor week of total milage. A promising start was interrupted by the arrival of figs junior number 2 on Thursday. Amid the excitement, and doing the daddy stuff has meant running has taken a back seat.

Now in a dilemma about the half marathon on Saturday. I know it would benefit me much more if I did a pacey LSR rather than a race. Will probably do the half at MP, and continue on running home to make 20m for the day. I'm going to find this hard, 'cos my competitive side will probably make it hard to hold back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

figs wrote: »
    Wk 14 - Total 15 miles
    Another poor week of total milage. A promising start was interrupted by the arrival of figs junior number 2 on Thursday. Amid the excitement, and doing the daddy stuff has meant running has taken a back seat.
    !
    CONGRATS;)

Well, following a few terrible weeks of training, it hasn't got any better. Has been a busy busy week, and family took priority over running. Last night was the first time I managed to get out and did 4 miles at sub-7 pace, and all was fine.

This morning I was lifting something, and am now feeling a strained back. All seems to be going against me at the moment... <Wallowing in self-pity!>

Not ideal preparation for trying to go sub-1:35 tomorrow. I'll see how I feel, but it might be a case of get around and get a t-shirt rather than setting any PBs.

At least a slow race tomorrow will mean I should be able to get an LSR in on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

If you're feeling fine tomo a sub 95 should be well within your grasp, even though your very recent training hasn't been ideal. So hit that 7.15 pace and stick to it, easy!

See you on the start line

Well, seems like ages since i posted here.

Training hasn't been going to plan in the last few weeks between one thing and another. The most frustrating thing was injuring my back which has put me out for over a week at a critical time. This was unplanned. I knew I'd have some reduction in mileage with the new arrival, but getting injured by being stupid wasn't in my plan!

Today I did a test run to see if pain was gone in my back, and managed 5.5m (41min @ 7:27pace) fairly comfortably around the park. I pretty much forced myself to stop. It felt so good to be running again!!!

So, planning a LSR for tomorrow morning early. Hopefully I can carry off a 20m, but will be aiming for a minimum of 18m.

The plan is one more LSR next weekend, before a 2 week taper. It's a bit later than I'd like, but I feel I need the mileage.

Any thoughts of sub-3:20 are gone out the window, but should still be able to pull out a respectable time if I get some mileage in this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Figs, glad your back, the lsr tomorrow is obviously a good idea but the one the following weekend I'm not so sure. Your situation is similar to my prep for Paris and I believe that last lsr with 2 weeks out was one of the main factors for my sub par performance.
    Would it be possible to get tomorrows done and then maybe aim for 15 on Wednesday the 7th and do them a little faster than normal and then hit taper mode.

Cheers Woddle, will give your suggestion some thought. At the moment I think it may be more benefit to me to get the mileage in. I think this may suit me better.

My training consecutive LSRs in the weeks when I was going well were 16, 16, 17, 20, 21, 17, and I had no problems with being tired (Edit: apart from the last 17 miler where I didn't feel well all week). I think 2 weeks taper should be good enough for me. We'll see how tomorrow goes first though!

Wk 16.7 - 18m / 2:35 @ 8:38pace

Managed a slow and grueling 18m today, in 2:35, just under 8:40 pace. Much slower than I'd have hoped at this stage, but with all the distractions, is about all I could ask for.

Found the last 4 really tough, and it just shows what missing a few weeks will do! Was going to trow in the towel at various times, but managed to get to the target of 18, but reckon I couldn't have gone another step.

I don't know how I'm going to get the fitness for the 26.2 distance in just a few weeks, but hopefully I'll get there. Five weeks ago I ran a 21 miler, and felt fresh (relatively!) after it. Today I couldn't have taken another step after 18.

Wk 17.3 - 6.75m / 46:00 @6:48 pace
    Having been stuck to the sofa in the last couple of weeks, I was feeling Sundays LSR a bit on Monday & Tuesday, so left it until today to go for a run. Felt good in general. A bit slow starting, but felt great as it went on.

My back is at me again tonight, so hopefully a good nights sleep will see it right. Longish run planned for tomorrow night (approx 10 mile), Rest Friday, and LSR at weekend. That should get me back into the swing of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

Hey Figs!!

Congrats on the recent addition... I know from experience how this can throw everything else in the air!!

As for the training stick with it... I missed the Dublin half and over a weeks training after that with an injury... Struggled to get back, first few sessions my lungs were screaming and legs felt like lead. Anyhow after a few sessions and a trip to the physio it is like I have never been away...

Have you a revised plan for DCM??

Me personally just looking for a sub 4. ;)

• Advertisement

Hi RR,

Hard luck with the injury... I was really disappointed to miss the Half, as I was in good shape coming up to it, and wanted to PB. I'm sure you were gutted too getting injured so close to half and DCM.

Hope the injury is fixed and you stay healthy for the 26th. I haven't revised my time just yet... definitely wont be sub-3:20, but I hope to do a LSR this weekend to test how good/bad things really are. I should know then if I'm talking sub-3:30 or sub-3:45. I'd be really disappointed with anything slower given that my training was going really well for the most part.

I'm sure I'll see you at some stage in the race. Have you got yourself a singlet?

Figs.

Much closer to the DCM date than planned, but finished my last LSR today. Really had to do it to prove to myself that all was ok after a few crap weeks of training.

Wk 18.2 - 21m / 2:50:30 @ 8:07 pace
    Felt good all the way through, was comfortably at or under 8:00pace for the first 17 miles, and slowed a bit in the last 4 miles, more to do with changing onto grass, and short sharp hills which just sapped the strength from my legs!

Really happy now. ;) Although this LSR was very late, I'm glad I did it to show I can still pull off a 3:30 on the day. I feel my original 3:20 target is probably a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

I'm sure I'll see you at some stage in the race. Have you got yourself a singlet?

Figs.

Hey Figs... No singlet 'Yet' - Am going to decide on which color 'singlet' after DCM ;)

So hows training? I am hoping to return to work tomorrow... Blasted cold/flu thingy since last Thursday :mad::mad::mad:... Have missed all the runs in the last two weeks. Will try to get in 3 very short runs between this evening and Sunday morning. Should be relatively fresh at the start and hopefully get around in reasonable shape!!

First log post of 2010, and I'm resurrecting this after a bit of a hibernation...

Hasn't been updated since before the DCM09, so a very quick catch up... had a bad DCM, all going well until 19 miles, and then hit the wall and just lost the will to run... Last 6 miles were painful. Finished in 3:46.

Anyway, took a break of a few weeks, then back training in late Nov... pulled my calf muscle out on fairly easy run. Three weeks later (mid Dec) pulled it again. Got back running in early Jan, all seemed fine. The next run, I hadn't got 20 metres from the house, and I pulled the same calf again...

So three weeks of massage and stretching later, I've managed two easy runs back to back, and not a sign of a niggle. Will intend to continue easy for next couple of weeks, but hopefully I'm back!

No hard and fast targets for this year yet, but I've ghosts of Achill half and DCM from 2009 that need to be put to bed!

4.2m / 33min

First run on grass since injury, and all fine... felt grrrrreaaaat!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Welcome back figs. I was beginning to think the arrival of mini figs 2 was distracting you too much.

Welcome back figs. I was beginning to think the arrival of mini figs 2 was distracting you too much.

Thanks RQ. Mini figs 2 is certainly reducing the time I have to sit down in front of computer, but am still managing to get a few runs in... even if it has to be at 6am! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

4.2m / 33min

First run on grass since injury, and all fine... felt grrrrreaaaat!!

Welcome back Figs and belated congratulations

@ RAL3 - thanks and thanks! It's nice to be back again.

Another easy 4.2 miles today in 33 mins. Felt good and wanted to stretch the legs a bit, but the thought of another set-back put pay to any such thoughts very quickly!

No running tomorrow - light gym and swim in the morning.

more swim than gym yesterday. I was shattered after it, which says more about my swimming technique than the number of lengths put in.

Back onto the road today for another 4 miles. Pushed the pace a little on this one, and no sign of any twinges or niggles, so all well so far...

Going to miss BHAA on Saturday, but think I need to get a few more miles in before I risk pulling the calf again. Shame, cos it's only out the road from me, and a few lads from work are running. Oh well, next one I suppose.

Now, time to start thinking about the rest of this years races!

• Advertisement

4 more today in 28:30. started easy, an was pushing it for the second half. A full minute and a half quicker than yesterday! Pleased with that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Going is good figs. Plenty of races coming up now no rush to get back into it.

Another 7 squelshy miles around the park today (53 mins)... may as well have been cross country running rather than a gentle amble around the park.

Experimented with routes, and made a nice 2.2 mile loop, as opposed to the 1.8 I usually run. Was a much nicer run too.

Ran BHAA Dublin Airport 5 miler at ALSAA last weekend, and used it as a tempo run rather than an all out race. Was still a bit nervous not having many miles under my belt. All went fine, and no niggles, so gave it a bit of a blast for the final lap, and finished just under 37 mins.

Out for 4.2 miles on Monday ad today at lunchtime. Nice weather this week, is perfect for lunchtime sunshine.

Longish run planned for tomorrow, then rest Friday.

Sat 20th / Sun 21st - No running.

Mon 22nd - 4.2 mile / 32 mins

Tues 23rd - 4.2 mile / 32.5 mins

Darn cold in the park today, but the run seemed easy compared to Mondays effort. Monday's was a killer. Just couldn't get the legs moving, and was a struggle all the way around. Probably something to do with lazing around and eating crap all weekend.

Planing leaving bike in work tomorrow night, and 6 mile home and 6 mile in on Thurs morning. Few pints Thurs night. Rest Friday, and race on Sat.

Advertisement