Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

flended12 wrote: »
    About 3 weeks ago, maybe 4, but the weird thing was they werent advertised on their app or in their instore mag. I was just happened to be there and seen them and dropped a hint that my birthday was coming up. (Aldi Tallaght Belgard)

I'll sell you mine for €450! :D

Nice try. I could buy a lot of Pork Shoulder for that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Not much cooking going on but here's the beginnings of my 3 reverse flow smokers. A lot of time and money going into them so far.
    All sizing calculations done properly, 5mm for firebox and 3mm steel being used for everything else. Welding has just started so hopefully I've my first one ready in a few weeks :)

Not much cooking going on but here's the beginnings of my 3 reverse flow smokers. A lot of time and money going into them so far.
    All sizing calculations done properly, 5mm for firebox and 3mm steel being used for everything else. Welding has just started so hopefully I've my first one ready in a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

niallam wrote: »

Are you making these yourself or do you have someone doing it for you?

• Advertisement

unklerosco wrote: »
    Are you making these yourself or do you have someone doing it for you?

Started the process by getting all measurements done and researching a lot on US forums.
    My brother used a CAD program to mock up every part we needed with a lot of help from our friend who is a really good welder, temperature ratings of steel, the fabrication and how best to get it done for putting together etc...
    We got 3 of everything fabricated, wasn't cheap.
    Neither of us can weld so getting them put together for us now.
    Researching hinges, vents, grates, frame, wheels and all the next bits now.
    The fireblack tape was expensive to get over from the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

daveirl wrote: »

Nice to see feedback on the NamChar. I've seen it online and thought about buying some. Did you buy the loose charcoal or the briquettes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Who did you order from ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Webber charcoal available in co-op superstores.. briquettes and lumpwood. Was around the sameprice per kg as the non branded stuff..
    Not much good if you're not in the south of the country..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Total BBQ newbie...please help?

Hi guys, wasn't sure where to put this so hope it's alright here:

My other half and I are complete BBQ newbies.

We bought a cheap charcoal BBQ from Lidl last week. It was only €25 and it probably isn't the greatest but before we splash out on a decent one, we thought getting a cheap one would be good for practising until we're more used to it.

Here's the one we bought:

http://www.bricovideo.ovh/bricopromo/grandlidl/barbecue-a-charbon-de-bois-florabest-lidl-fgw-84-test-avis-prix-notice-caracteristiques-forum.jpg

I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:

Firstly, we followed the instructions on both the BBQ and the back of the charcoal briquette bag.

It said to pour some briquettes onto the BBQ tray, which we did, but we weren't sure how much to pour on and it didn't specify.

My partner poured a small amount on...on one side of the tray, leaving half of the tray empty.

He then (according to the instructions), placed firelighter cubes on top of the briquettes and then piled a little more briquettes on top.

He then lit the firelighters and as per the instructions, we waited 30-40 mins for the briquettes to turn ash-coloured, but only one side of them turned grey.

We poked them a bit with a poker and they got a bit more grey but some of them remained black.

We were getting impatient so we attempted to cook some steaks anyway and actually, they turned out lovely.
    But we're a bit disappointed as we're so clueless and I just need to know:

-What should we be using? Lumpwood charcoal or briquettes or woodchips?

-How much should we pour onto the tray? Should we spread them all out evenly in a layer, dotting firelighter cubes inbetween and then light them?

-How do you know 100% it's ready for cooking? I noticed when the steaks were cooking, some flames appeared and were licking the steaks. Was this not meant to happen?

-Are the briquettes meant to be totally grey or is it usual for some of them to remain black?

Sorry for the lengthy post but it's all new to us and we'd really love to get the hang of barbecuing.
    My other half was going to give up and buy a gas BBQ but I'd like to master charcoal BBQ'ing as I know it's the best, taste-wise.

Any advice is HUGELY appreciated. BBQ'ing seems tricky but I'd love to know what I'm doing!
    -

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For anyone interested I saw those bbq chimmney starters in Tesco Clearwater yesterday for €8, a lot cheaper than the Weber ones for €30. They also had a selection of bq utensils and a rack for holding full chickens upright, think it was €4 or €5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'd use Lumpwood but you can use briquettes. Wood chips are for if you're cooking low and slow and adds flavour to the meat. Important thing here is to make sure you don't get ones that have lighting fluid added already, that can make the meat taste chemically.

I'd get a chimney starter if I were you. Saves all this complication with firelighters.

Take a look at the reverse sear technique on AmazingRibs.com or some of the grilling guides on SeriousEats.com are great too.

Thanks a million dave..appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Shred

I came cross this interview with Jaime Purviance yesterday Fussyonion; I think there's some useful info for beginners in fairness: http://www.mademan.com/your-stupid-barbecue-and-grilling-questions-answered/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Big Grill festival is back in Dublin in August, just picked up two tickets for the Friday as I missed it last year.
    http://biggrillfestival.com/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

Striploin on the kamado this evening.
    Got the dome temp up to 600F, then steaks on for 3 minutes a side. Perfect char and pink right through. Delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭flended12

Gonna have a go at a "swineapple " this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

flended12 wrote: »
    Gonna have a go at a "swineapple " this weekend

Give us a clue.... Sounds interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

curiousb wrote: »
    Give us a clue.... Sounds interesting!

Sounds like pineapple stuffed pig to me

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭flended12

I'll stick up a pic over weekend but swineapple is a hollowed out pineapple stuffed with your meat of choice (usually pork) & wrapped in bacon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Sounds like pineapple stuffed pig to me

Must resist a David Cameron joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

153p36b.jpg

ruo0pj.jpg

2ivmsz5.jpg

Some pics from last weekend, my ribs turned out the best yet!!

Also did some steaks late into the night, i love that weber grill : )

How and how long did you cook your ribs for ? There doesn't seem to be much pull back from the bone ?

oleras wrote: »
    How and how long did you cook your ribs for ? There doesn't seem to be much pull back from the bone ?

3 hours and 1 hour foiled at around 250F

There was some small pull back you cant see from the photo, i also let them rest for 30 minutes and they where perfectly tender.

3 hours and 1 hour foiled at around 250F

There was some small pull back you cant see from the photo, i also let them rest for 30 minutes and they where perfectly tender.

I tend to overcook them, bone falling out, i must try a shorter cook where there is still a bite, like you see in the american bbq.

Although we dont get the ribs with as much meat as they do over there.

oleras wrote: »
    Although we dont get the ribs with as much meat as they do over there.

Yeah i always wonder if that's true of just a myth, either way im happy enough to pick up half a dozen racks for a very reasonable price even if there not as meaty

#Practice :D

Out of curiosity how many hours do you do ribs for??

• Advertisement

Yeah i always wonder if that's true of just a myth, either way im happy enough to pick up half a dozen racks for a very reasonable price even if there not as meaty

#Practice :D

Out of curiosity how many hours do you do ribs for??

Usually 6, i have followed the 321 method , 3 hours on smoke, 2 wrapped with some apple juice in the foil and the last hour sauced unwrapped, the last hour usually is only 30 mins though, they are more than done at that stage. temp would be around the 225-250.

Advertisement