Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Btw has anyone tried the snake method yet?

For lighting charcoal in a smoker?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Brian? wrote: »
    For lighting charcoal in a smoker?

For low and slow cooking, im planning to try it this weekend its meant to be very effective in giving a constant temp throughout the cook, perect for low and slow ribs.

Planning to use this rub on the ribs

Memphis_Dry_Rub.jpg?v=1460648951

For low and slow cooking, im planning to try it this weekend its meant to be very effective in giving a constant temp throughout the cook, perect for low and slow ribs.

Planning to use this rub on the ribs

Memphis_Dry_Rub.jpg?v=1460648951

What sort of bbq are you using? I use the fuse method for my Weber Smokey mountain, is that the same as the snake method?

they/them/theirs

What sort of bbq are you using? I use the fuse method for my Weber Smokey mountain, is that the same as the snake method?

Yeah the fuse method looks the same as the snake method, have you tried this??

Currently using a webber kettle, it will do for learning to smoke until i decide to upgrade :D

Yeah the fuse method looks the same as the snake method, have you tried this??

Currently using a webber kettle, it will do for learning to smoke until i decide to upgrade :D
    I wouldn't use the fuse method in a kettle when doing ribs, no real need.

I use the fuse method in my WSM for longer cooks, like pulled pork.

I smoked plenty of meat on my kettle before I got the beast, I always used this method:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/charcoal_grill_setup.html

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Actually, a good trick I found with the kettle is to put 2 small paving bricks under the grill directly. Stand them on their narrow side. You fill one side with your coals and leave the 2nd side empty for your indirect cook. It means you have coals high to the grill if you want to sear anything.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Tonight i'm grilling sirloin steaks on the bbq for the first time.

Any tips/potential pitfalls I should avoid?
    It's a 2 burner gas bbq.

Cheers.

If they're not 'good' sirloin steaks, marinade/rub them in vinegar, black pepper and salt for a while before cooking. If they're good ones, just go for black pepper and salt.

Two ways I'd do steak;

Put them on the pre heated grill at a pretty high temp, lay them there for about 25 seconds, flip for 25 seconds, the flip every 10-20 seconds until they're done. Should ensure an even cook as long as you're not serving up to loads of people.

Otherwise (And hoping you have a lid), turn on one half of your grill to a medium heat, close the lid and let it get up to temp. Pop the steak in on the side of the grill that's not turned on for about 10-20 minutes (Depending on how you like your steak). When you're about to serve, pop them on to the hot side to get a good sear, then flip.
    Anyone else obsessed with bbq smoking and grilling at the minute??

Planning to smoke me some spare ribs memphis style over the weekend.

Heres my pevious attemp at back ribs low and slow and sauced towards the end.

I've bbq'd nearly every day since last Thursday. Lovely looking ribs, but it's your cornbread that finishes it.

OldBean wrote: »
    If they're not 'good' sirloin steaks, marinade/rub them in vinegar, black pepper and salt for a while before cooking. If they're good ones, just go for black pepper and salt.

Two ways I'd do steak;

Put them on the pre heated grill at a pretty high temp, lay them there for about 25 seconds, flip for 25 seconds, the flip every 10-20 seconds until they're done. Should ensure an even cook as long as you're not serving up to loads of people.

Otherwise (And hoping you have a lid), turn on one half of your grill to a medium heat, close the lid and let it get up to temp. Pop the steak in on the side of the grill that's not turned on for about 10-20 minutes (Depending on how you like your steak). When you're about to serve, pop them on to the hot side to get a good sear, then flip.

I've bbq'd nearly every day since last Thursday. Lovely looking ribs, but it's your cornbread that finishes it.

I disagree with your sirloin steak method.

1.Grill on high
    2 let it get hot as it'll go
    3. Generously season your steaks with salt and pepper.
    4. Steaks on the scalding hot grill
    5. Turn gas burners down to 75%
    6. Turn steaks once half way through cooking. Lid closed for cook

What's the rationale behind the constant flipping?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The reverse sear method, I did this at the weekend on my charcoal grill with some pecan lumps.. I brought the stakes up to 125f, took them off and rested them for around 10 mins while I char grilled some veg then seared them for 1 min each side. It was the best steak I ever had, crazy tasty..

1.Grill on high

Heston B's method, since given the thumbs from from a lot of others, as far as I know, including the AmazingRibs owner/author for grilling.

You get an even cook on the steak, and the constant on/off heat will give a good solid even sear. I also love my steak very rare, so it's an easy cook, but I'm sure a PITA for medium and above.

Have a Google and give it a try, there's a good chance you'll stick to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

The sirloins went down a treat.

I did a single flip instead of regular flips. High heat throughout and kept the lid closed.
    I marinated in olive oil, vinegar and cracked black pepper.
    I seasoned with sea salt and garlic salt when on the grill.

Finished off with a wedge of blue cheese on top.

Curious, what does the vinegar do?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The vinegar is an acid, that breaks down muscle fibre - given enough time.

1.Grill on high

Heston B's method, since given the thumbs from from a lot of others, as far as I know, including the AmazingRibs owner/author for grilling.

You get an even cook on the steak, and the constant on/off heat will give a good solid even sear. I also love my steak very rare, so it's an easy cook, but I'm sure a PITA for medium and above.

Have a Google and give it a try, there's a good chance you'll stick to it :)

I will give it a go, it seems like a lot of work though ;).

I eat my steak blue rare, but attempt to char it on the outside. Hence my very high heat and 1 flip method. Next time I'm cooking steak for guests I'll give it a go.

My Nam-char order arrived yesterday, so it could be time for a good aul fashioned cook out!

they/them/theirs

The sirloins went down a treat.

I did a single flip instead of regular flips. High heat throughout and kept the lid closed.
    I marinated in olive oil, vinegar and cracked black pepper.
    I seasoned with sea salt and garlic salt when on the grill.

Finished off with a wedge of blue cheese on top.

Curious, what does the vinegar do?

Glad to hear it went well. Have you ever tried making blue cheese butter? It's beautiful with steak:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/griddledfilletofbeef_85373

they/them/theirs

I will give it a go, it seems like a lot of work though ;).

I eat my steak blue rare, but attempt to char it on the outside. Hence my very high heat and 1 flip method. Next time I'm cooking steak for guests I'll give it a go.

My Nam-char order arrived yesterday, so it could be time for a good aul fashioned cook out!

Oh, it definitely can be a lot of work. The most I've done it for is four steaks and it required some mental effort more than anything else, but I find it's very good, especially if you like your steak blue but with an evenly cooked sear on the outside.

Has anyone here purchased wood from http://smoke-ap.com/ based in New Ross?

He seems to sell quite a lot on Adverts.ie etc but when I went to throw in an order on the website, it went to asking for a bank transfer. Would prefer pop down and stock up than go the bank transfer route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Was dropping stuff off to littfest at ballymaloo house earlier, and had a nosey at gubbeens barbecue stall all set up (but empty till tomorrow)
    A massive pitt smoker , various styles of grill , lots of large scale heavy metal toys.. no idea what the menu is ,but they have several pitt masters involved at different times over the weekend.. i'd expect a bit of experimentation and competitive messing, as well as more standard fare.. I hope to have a wander over on sunday .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Markcheese wrote: »
    Was dropping stuff off to littfest at ballymaloo house earlier, and had a nosey at gubbeens barbecue stall all set up (but empty till tomorrow)
    A massive pitt smoker , various styles of grill , lots of large scale heavy metal toys.. no idea what the menu is ,but they have several pitt masters involved at different times over the weekend.. i'd expect a bit of experimentation and competitive messing, as well as more standard fare.. I hope to have a wander over on sunday .

Grab a few pics if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Pistachios cold smoked with plum and beech woods, they didn't last long at work! Several vacuum packed cheeses done at the same time and maturing in the fridge. There's a few useful items in Dealz at the minute, 6pk (3 large, 3 small) perforated trays, which I used for smoking the nuts, and a serviceable scrubbing brush with scraper along with large bags of wooden skewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭maximo31

Lads,
    I know this isn't near the standard of what you are discussing on here but would you think the attached would be any good at all?:

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-26-may/products-detail-page/ps/p/pizza-oven/

Thinking of buying it......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

maximo31 wrote: »
    Lads,
    I know this isn't near the standard of what you are discussing on here but would you think the attached would be any good at all?:

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-26-may/products-detail-page/ps/p/pizza-oven/

Thinking of buying it......

Holy crap! :eek:

I want one. But you know what? It would end up being used once, probably twice a year. Like all that other stuff I bought in Aldi/Lidl over the years. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

id be cautious of the quality,
    I bought the smoker, but to do (thin traditional) pizza properly
    you need to run really really hot, i wonder if this yoke would handle it
    (the smoker is used at about 100c, you'd want 300c for pizza)

ive done pizza succesfully on a regular bbq with a pizza stone
    you could always do that without buying the dedicated one,
    ive made pizza from scratch for over ten years and the BBQ
    is a great way to do, if you are doing thin ones you want it really hot
    and cook them for 2-3 mins if you are doing thicker reduce the heat and cook longer

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I’m doing some ribs for the first time on the BBQ tonight.

Last night I got two large slabs of pork loin ribs. I cut them into smaller portions, removed the membrane and trimmed excess fat.
    I applied a dry rub made up of 1 teaspoon each of:

Cumin
    Paprika
    Sweet Paprika
    Garlic Salt
    Celery Salt
    Black Pepper
    Chilli flakes

I forgot to add brown sugar to the rub so I’ll apply that later when I get home. Hopefully it won’t be too late for it. They have been in the fridge since.

I plan on firing up 1 side of the gas BBQ and place smoking wood in tin foil over the direct heat. Not sure of temperatures or times, so would appreciate any advice.
    I know I shouldn’t rush ribs but I’d like to have them done within 1.5 hours if at all possible?

I’m going to make a BBQ glaze using: Ketchup, 3 garlic cloves chopped, Worcestershire sauce, a splash of bourbon, can of coke, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, splash of lemon juice.
    I’m open to additions/subtractions from that concoction!

I plan on smoking the ribs for an hour then brush them with the sauce for the last half hour. I’d like to keep re-basting but I’m worried about losing heat by constantly opening the lid.
    Would it be better to take them out and baste them 1 at a time with the lid closed?

Also, I assume the ribs will go on indirect heat? Should I oil the rack first so that they don’t stick? Should I turn them occasionally?

Cheers.

I’m doing some ribs for the first time on the BBQ tonight.

Last night I got two large slabs of pork loin ribs. I cut them into smaller portions, removed the membrane and trimmed excess fat.
    I applied a dry rub made up of 1 teaspoon each of:

Cumin
    Paprika
    Sweet Paprika
    Garlic Salt
    Celery Salt
    Black Pepper
    Chilli flakes

I forgot to add brown sugar to the rub so I’ll apply that later when I get home. Hopefully it won’t be too late for it. They have been in the fridge since.

I plan on firing up 1 side of the gas BBQ and place smoking wood in tin foil over the direct heat. Not sure of temperatures or times, so would appreciate any advice.
    I know I shouldn’t rush ribs but I’d like to have them done within 1.5 hours if at all possible?

I’m going to make a BBQ glaze using: Ketchup, 3 garlic cloves chopped, Worcestershire sauce, a splash of bourbon, can of coke, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, splash of lemon juice.
    I’m open to additions/subtractions from that concoction!

I plan on smoking the ribs for an hour then brush them with the sauce for the last half hour. I’d like to keep re-basting but I’m worried about losing heat by constantly opening the lid.
    Would it be better to take them out and baste them 1 at a time with the lid closed?

Also, I assume the ribs will go on indirect heat? Should I oil the rack first so that they don’t stick? Should I turn them occasionally?

Cheers.

If you do ribs in 2 hours they'll be inedible. The "high heat " method I use still takes 4 hours. Save the ribs for when you have time to cook them properly.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

Hi Folks, I thought why not throw up my current project. I recently got the offset smoker that was on in Aldi and as I'm a nerd I wanted to see if I could make a pit controller for temperature monitoring and control so I rang a mate who is a bigger neard and we began work. I decided the easiest and cheapest way to do this is use an Arduino a lcd shield with push buttons a mosfet and a max6675 thermo couple driver and a 12v blower all parts were sourced on ebay.
    I have made a start on the control and successfully got the board to read the thermo couple driver and display the current temp and target temp on the lcd and activate the pwm output on a pin. I only got my mosfets this morning so the mock up and testing can start in earnest now. The whole thing has cost me just north of €50 for the lot. For the moment I'm only going to monitor the pit temp and keep using my wireless meat thermometer and I am not networking the device now. You can check out the program on github https://github.com/fat-ninja/BBQ-Controller There are two versions
    BBq-SmokerController.ino is a program where you set a min and max and the pwm out is if temp low fan is on if high fan is off other wise give it a 50% this is a test just to see if we could get the arduino to read the temp and adjust the pwm output on ping to slow or speed up the blower. The BBQ-SmokerController_cedit.ino uses a PID Library that I found online where you set a temp and the pid will try to keep it at that point. I will update github and here as I make progress and maybe some pretty pictures will go up if people are interested. Sorry for the long post hope some people find it of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I ordered a Cajun Bandit extender (from the makers in Alabama) for the 57cm Weber kettle on the 16th. It arrived earlier today, and I wasn't stung for customs duty - result! (particularly given the postage costs involved).

It's a stainless steel extender, with a stainless charcoal basket (existing grate fits snugly into it), an aluminium pizza tray 'heat diffuser', and an extra grill grate to place either a water bath, a heat sink of whatever preference, or use it as a second cooking level. I'm going to use it for smoking - this particular kettle suits this pretty well, as it's got three offset daisy wheel vents on the base, rather than a one-touch vent, so it's a bit more like the WSM smoker set-up.

Just assembled and admired it so far, but it's heavy duty, and well fabricated. Looking forward to seeing how it works out. Pics attached.

cajun-bandit-1.jpg
    cajun-bandit-2.jpg
    cajun-bandit-3.jpg
    cajun-bandit-4.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Broil King Royal 320.
    All in all I am very happy.

Still happy?

I'm in the same boat and had narrowed it down to the Weber Spirit E210 but after seeing your post I'm thinking about the Broil King Royal 320 instead. Same price as the Weber but has three burners and the reviews seem good for it. Would you still buy the same one or go back to the Weber? Are there many accessories available for the Broil King?

Brian?

Is it possible you could give me your method for low and slow ribs

Do you use the minion method??

I did some spare ribs at the weekend which turned out tough and dry, possibly my temp wasn't high enough although it held 225-250 for a couple of hours but dropped after

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Brian?

I did some spare ribs at the weekend which turned out tough and dry, possibly my temp wasn't high enough although it held 225-250 for a couple of hours but dropped after

Have a look here, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055542022&page=9

I put up a fairly detailed guide a while ago..

Brian?

This method has never let me down:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/rib5.html

I've also done "Last meal ribs" from amazingribs.com.

I use the fuse method on my smokey mountain for any cook now. I have the large smokey mountain, so I place a paving brick in the centre so reduce the amount of charcoal needed in the basket.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,204 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Still happy?

I'm in the same boat and had narrowed it down to the Weber Spirit E210 but after seeing your post I'm thinking about the Broil King Royal 320 instead. Same price as the Weber but has three burners and the reviews seem good for it. Would you still buy the same one or go back to the Weber? Are there many accessories available for the Broil King?

This might swing it in favour of the Broil King for you - https://www.flogas.ie/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

It doesn't specify if it's the Royal 320 or 340 (the pic is of the 340) , but for €385 you are getting a bargain either way.

Advertisement