Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭flended12

I have smoked plenty on a previous cheap barrel bbq from argos and only last week was given the aldi offset smoker as an early birthday gift.

It can be used as a bbq and a smoker. I seasoned it thoroughly a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the smoke was "leaking" out at parts of the main hood, but nothing that cant be fixed. Theres also a couple of mods I'd make to it, particularly with the exit at the stack and also I'm hoping to make a small fire basket and likely to use the snake method for the charcoal.

Got some plum wood delivered from the lads in New Ross, haven't used it as yet but looks like good quality.

I am planning on doing a turf smoked whiskey pulled pork on it shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

flended12 wrote: »
    I have smoked plenty on a previous cheap barrel bbq from argos and only last week was given the aldi offset smoker as an early birthday gift.

It can be used as a bbq and a smoker. I seasoned it thoroughly a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the smoke was "leaking" out at parts of the main hood, but nothing that cant be fixed. Theres also a couple of mods I'd make to it, particularly with the exit at the stack and also I'm hoping to make a small fire basket and likely to use the snake method for the charcoal.

Got some plum wood delivered from the lads in New Ross, haven't used it as yet but looks like good quality.

I am planning on doing a turf smoked whiskey pulled pork on it shortly.

i got one and have used it a few times, deffo needs a fire basket
    useless without it, it needs to be tended a lot as the fire box is small
    i found i had to top up the fire every hour, i dont know if you'll be able to do the snake in it, it might not get up to enough heat in the food chamber
    cheers

hi all

i have apple and cherry logs from a neighbours trees
    they have been drying in my shed for over five years!
    (i lost interest in low and slow smoking but am back into it)

i assume these will be fine to use?
    they werent kiln dried or anything, they have bark on

ive never used proper wood before, do i use it exclusively
    or mixed with charcoal? any idea how hot it will burn?
    or how long it will burn? i havent a clue how much to use

any advice welcome

cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

hi all

i have apple and cherry logs from a neighbours trees
    they have been drying in my shed for over five years!
    (i lost interest in low and slow smoking but am back into it)

i assume these will be fine to use?
    they werent kiln dried or anything, they have bark on

ive never used proper wood before, do i use it exclusively
    or mixed with charcoal? any idea how hot it will burn?
    or how long it will burn? i havent a clue how much to use

any advice welcome

cheers

Those logs are no use to you. I'll swing by and take them off your hands to save you any trouble :).

In all serious I'm envious of you. What I would do is chop it into fist size chunks and mix it with charcoal for low and slow cooking. But I know some of the best pit masters in Carolina cook exclusively with logs and no charcoal. I've never had enough decent wood to experiment.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Pulled the trigger on a Lokkii smoker bbq today. I've been tinkering with the idea of getting one for ages but decided to treat myself.

First on the list are some ribs followed by a brisket.

Anyone know where to buy some wood chunks as opposed to chips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Pulled the trigger on a Lokkii smoker bbq today. I've been tinkering with the idea of getting one for ages but decided to treat myself.

Amazon or local for the smoker ?

oleras wrote: »
    Amazon or local for the smoker ?

Amazon. Should arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday all going well.

Bbq tmw,

two pounds of pigs in blankets on the go as we speak,
    and this bad boy is going on at 9 a.m., ill smoke it for about 6-7 hrs and finish in the oven

Bbq tmw,

and this bad boy is going on at 9 a.m., ill smoke it for about 6-7 hrs and finish in the oven

Any chance of the step by step?

The Orchard in Celbridge has chunks.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Bbq tmw,

Why finish it in the oven?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Shred

I got a bag of Apple and a bag of Hickory for €15 each in Horkan's Glen of the Downs store last Saturday, I haven't had the chance to try them yet though.

Shred wrote: »
    I got a bag of Apple and a bag of Hickory for €15 each in Horkan's Glen of the Downs store last Saturday, I haven't had the chance to try them yet though.

Perfect. I pass there every day. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭dinorebel

i got one and have used it a few times, deffo needs a fire basket
    useless without it, it needs to be tended a lot as the fire box is small
    i found i had to top up the fire every hour, i dont know if you'll be able to do the snake in it, it might not get up to enough heat in the food chamber
    cheers
    Got one of these myself what's a Fire Basket and if I need one where would I get one?

dinorebel wrote: »
    Got one of these myself what's a Fire Basket and if I need one where would I get one?

Basically a grate, something to let the air flow underneath the fuel.

Brian? wrote: »
    Why finish it in the oven?

didnt have enough time to do it on the smoker
    went on at 10.30am took it off the smoker at 5pm double foiled it
    put it in the oven at 140 for two hours, rested for an hour

cheers

Basically a grate, something to let the air flow underneath the fuel.

yeah pretty much but a basket shape
    helps keep the charcoal under control and helps temp control
    is easier to top up as well, the smoker will choke out on its own ashes without it
    i used a shower holder thingy, broke off the plastic bits
    https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/accessories/reo-corner-basket-stainless-steel/invt/040134

cheers

I came across a group on Facebook raving bout these, Jumbuck mini spit roaster. They share recipes and some mods.

They were selling fast in Australia, then the UK got them in Homebase so i checked my local store and they had about 12 units.

Be rude not to for €55.

Only put it together this evening, ill give it a lash in the next few days, grand weather for it !

IMG_20160529_124817_1.jpg

IMG_20160530_190218_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

I usually just do thighs but tried a whole chicken on Saturday as well in the smoker.
    As always I use my own chicken rub, BBQ sauce and injection :)

I butterfly'd it first and I cook skin side on a kettle for 10 mins before smoking at 225f

1zn8zna.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How long is too long for a briskett ? (rolled and tied ), I did a cheat ,cooked it in slowcooker , then glazed/sauced and chucked it on a low grill ...
    It was about 14 hours in the slow cooker ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I came across a group on Facebook raving bout these, Jumbuck mini spit roaster. They share recipes and some mods.

They were selling fast in Australia, then the UK got them in Homebase so i checked my local store and they had about 12 units.

Be rude not to for €55.

Only put it together this evening, ill give it a lash in the next few days, grand weather for it !

Was this in homebase in limerick?

unklerosco wrote: »
    Was this in homebase in limerick?

Yes.

Yes.

Any chance you could post a SKU, model number etc. for it.. Gonna see if I can get one in Dublin..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Now while I don't need one, that'd be cool. Where do I hide it without the missus spotting it?

Any chance you could post a SKU, model number etc. for it.. Gonna see if I can get one in Dublin..

Here is a pic of the receipt, was out in the back all day, only seeing this now, sorry for the delay.

IMG_20160529_125334_1.jpg

Markcheese wrote: »
    How long is too long for a briskett ? (rolled and tied ), I did a cheat ,cooked it in slowcooker , then glazed/sauced and chucked it on a low grill ...
    It was about 14 hours in the slow cooker ..

How'd it turn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Not bad at all, thought i'd overdone it ,but the outside seemed to firm up when I put it on the grill,
    I made a glaze /reduction thing with the meat juices from the slow cooker, and fruit and vinegar (plus some ketchup)
    F-all fat came off it (especially compared to a pork shoulder) ,
    I'll happily do briskett again, (probably in the slow cooker, if its gonna be a 14 hour cook)

Next time I'll put the dry rub on a bit earlier, and i'll include ground ginger and smoked paprika ,(I was out of both)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Available in Homebase in Santry/Ballymun. They had about 25 out on the shop floor this afternoon. One less now.

alastair wrote: »
    Available in Homebase in Santry/Ballymun. They had about 25 out on the shop floor this afternoon. One less now.

Cheers, I rang them yesterday but they said it wasn't on their system.. must come up as something different, will be picking one up tomorrow so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭flended12

They have those mini spit roasters in homebase in Fonthill, Dublin. They also have a decent selection of bbq/offset smokers/pizza ovens

Advertisement