Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Who's smoking!!

Great bit of weather : )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

flended12 wrote: »
    They have those mini spit roasters in homebase in Fonthill, Dublin. They also have a decent selection of bbq/offset smokers/pizza ovens

Cheers, picked one up today... Have a chicken on it as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

oleras wrote: »
    I came across a group on Facebook raving bout these, Jumbuck mini spit roaster. They share recipes and some mods.

They were selling fast in Australia, then the UK got them in Homebase so i checked my local store and they had about 12 units.

Be rude not to for €55.

Only put it together this evening, ill give it a lash in the next few days, grand weather for it !

IMG_20160530_190218_1.jpg

Looks great. How high is the heat source/rack from the ground? I've visions of the dog helping to baste a joint. :-)

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Looks great. How high is the heat source/rack from the ground? I've visions of the dog helping to baste a joint. :-)

Not that high, dog would easily get at it.. You'd need to elevate it, I've mine up on a table

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Who's smoking!!

Great bit of weather : )

It's funny the smoker is pretty much in hibernation while the good weather is here. I'm all about grilling in the sunshine. Did jerk pork today

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Brian? wrote: »
    It's funny the smoker is pretty much in hibernation while the good weather is here. I'm all about grilling in the sunshine. Did jerk pork today

Was up at 06.20 ;lighting charcoal, ill get the pics up, my longest smoke yet, 15 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

How do you keep charcoal at a warm enough temp to slow cook? Or do you just keep adding to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

oleras wrote: »
    Was up at 06.20 ;lighting charcoal, ill get the pics up, my longest smoke yet, 15 hrs.

I tried to do ll 9 images, but it wsnt playing ball, then i tried 3 together, thumbnails....feckin wrecked here but ill stick them up before bed.

6.6KG Pork shoulder.

IMG_20160601_153736.jpg

Rubbed.

IMG_20160603_100213.jpg

wrapped for 24 hrs

IMG_20160603_100653.jpg

half six the fire is burning, it was my first extra long cook so was not sure if it was gona be 8 or 18 hours.

IMG_20160604_065739.jpg

This is 6 hrs in.

IMG_20160604_110535.jpg

10 hrs in, all the time keeping the temp around230-250, using a water bath on the ProQ.

IMG_20160604_151026.jpg

I didnt wrap it, i wasn't in any rush, fair decent bark after 15 hours to hit n internal of 205....and a fair few beers for the cook to boot !

IMG_20160604_220941.jpg

Oh that bark.

IMG_20160604_222502.jpg

15 hours ish.

IMG_20160604_230424.jpg

Yeah,its ridic tasty !

How do you keep charcoal at a warm enough temp to slow cook? Or do you just keep adding to it?

The Weber Smokey Mountain will hold temp for at least 6 hours without adding extra charcoal. Even on a poxy day. On a warm day I use the vents more to throttle the temp down.

they/them/theirs

Did a chicken on the Jumbuck yesterday, underestimated how much fuel it goes through.. took 3.5hrs. I'd be interested in getting a Rotisserie for my webber kettle, would get more use out of it I think and probably get a better cook with being able to keep the lid on.

Still though, for €50 can't complain too much.. handy little grill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Hi all,

Long time user of a Big Green Egg (Size L) but first time posting on the thread.

With the weather that's in it I've been smoking and grilling through the past fortnight.

Monkfish and pork belly pieces for tacos, home-made burgers, chorizo, brisket... etc.

The one fly in the ointment that's been irritating me is that I made the classic mistake of standing my ceramic plate setter up on two legs a while back... Of course, I knocked it over and the third leg broke off on impact. Although a repair is possible with epoxy resin I just didn't get around to it.

Impulse buy today - a cast iron plate setter replacement. http://smokeware.com/products/plate-setter

The shipping is pretty killer but I would have shot myself if I bought another ceramic plate setter and somehow broke a leg off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Did my first smoke yesterday on my offset. Did a rack of ribs. I was really disappointed with the result as it turned out really smokey. Now, I do love smoked food but this was far too smokey.

Did my first smoke yesterday on my offset. Did a rack of ribs. I was really disappointed with the result as it turned out really smokey. Now, I do love smoked food but this was far too smokey.

Were you using wood chips or a lump of wood? I always find woodchips tend to overpower as they burn so quick. Also, depending on the wood I would typically only use on or two lumps for ribs.. If using something like hickory I'd just use the one. For ribs I always use applewood tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

unklerosco wrote: »
    Were you using wood chips or a lump of wood? I always find woodchips tend to overpower as they burn so quick. Also, depending on the wood I would typically only use on or two lumps for ribs.. If using something like hickory I'd just use the one. For ribs I always use applewood tho

That was probably my mistake, I was using hikory chips. They were lovely and tender but the overpowering smoke flavour was very unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

unklerosco wrote: »
    Did a chicken on the Jumbuck yesterday, underestimated how much fuel it goes through.. took 3.5hrs. I'd be interested in getting a Rotisserie for my webber kettle, would get more use out of it I think and probably get a better cook with being able to keep the lid on.

Still though, for €50 can't complain too much.. handy little grill.

The €50 could be the first step in hacking together a cheap kettle rotisserie. Fabricate a ring and bolt on the twisty bits of the jumbuck.

You need to invest in chunks.

they/them/theirs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's certainly a change so far. Normally it's "quick, the sun's out! Throw a match on the disposable BBQ, throw on any auld Captain Birdseye sh*te and ring everyone to come here with beer and pray we get one sausage eaten before the rain starts again!"

The Weber Smokey Mountain will hold temp for at least 6 hours without adding extra charcoal. Even on a poxy day. On a warm day I use the vents more to throttle the temp down.

Ah I thought you were doing it on a standard charcoal BBQ.

I've only this thing at the moment

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/boston-half-oil-drum-charcoal-bbq-306770

And was trying to figure out how to keep the coals warm long enough for slow cooking
    Most of the heat for burgers and chicken seems to go out of it after an hour or so

alastair wrote: »
    Fabricate a ring and bolt on the twisty bits of the jumbuck.

That's the tricky bit... Turns out u can get a ring and rotisserie on ebay for not much more than the cost of a jumbuck..

Ah I thought you were doing it on a standard charcoal BBQ.

I've only this thing at the moment

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/boston-half-oil-drum-charcoal-bbq-306770

And was trying to figure out how to keep the coals warm long enough for slow cooking
    Most of the heat for burgers and chicken seems to go out of it after an hour or so

Does it have adjustable vents on the top and bottom?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Does it have adjustable vents on the top and bottom?

It has adjustable on the top but not on the bottom.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

Tried beef short ribs in the Kamado today for the first time. Used a melted butter/mustard/brown sugar slather, seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked for about 8 hours. Beautiful wobble to the meat, which was ludicrously moist, delicious bark, but overall found it just a little too fatty and rich to eat much.

Next thing to try: beef cheeks.

fitz wrote: »
    but overall found it just a little too fatty and rich to eat much..

U can feel ur arteries clog as you eat time... Very much a once in a while. Treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fitz wrote: »
    Tried beef short ribs in the Kamado today for the first time. Used a melted butter/mustard/brown sugar slather, seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked for about 8 hours. Beautiful wobble to the meat, which was ludicrously moist, delicious bark, but overall found it just a little too fatty and rich to eat much.

Next thing to try: beef cheeks.

This is why I love short ribs for stewing /casseroling but not for roasting.
    I know many people love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I did a pork butt into my cheapo "smokey mountain". Found it a struggle to keep temp even, thanks to the occasional rain shower, so didn't quite get to the pulled pork stage. Still though, it was delicious, good bark and smoke ring

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭flended12

So last Saturday morning at 8.30am I started a pork shoulder on my recent gift - aldi BBQ smoker.

The offset smoker box itself is quite small so I had to think carefully about how I was going to smoke and heat the meat to avoid having to keep opening the said offset.

Well I basically conjured up 3 layers of fuel.
    Bottom layer had BBQ coals
    Metal grid on top of that
    More coals and a piece of plum wood on tope of that
    Another grid and the same again.
    I made sure I kept the middle part totally free as I was doing a minion/snake collaboration
    The plum wood (8" long, 2-3" wide) was wedged right up againts the opening where the heat/smoke would travel into the main chamber.
    2016-06-07.jpg

At this stage it was guess work but as you will see from pics below, it worked well.

The 4kg Pork was dry rubbed overnight on Friday and I injected a combo of sparkling water/applejuice and bbq sauce into it whilst marinating. Water bathe included with 3/4 water and 1/4 whiskey.

Got the coals going at 8.30am on saturday morning and place only 5 or 6 of the hot coals into the far right hand corner of the offset. Lid down. At this stage I must say that the lids on the aldi smoker are poor regards a seal, so I used bungee cords to keep them as sealed tight as possible. This turned out well as it was very responsive to flu/chimney adjustments. A constant temperature of 230f (according to temp gauge) was easily kept from 9am - 12pm.

At 12 pm only a couple of hot BBQ briquettes (aldi) was needed and another piece of plum wood. The internal temp of the pork shoulder at this stage was around 140f and at 2pm I took it out.
    2016-06-07.jpg

I also turned the shoulder at this stage.
    2016-06-07.jpg

Made a mix of honey/applejuice/bbq sauce and some more dry rub on a tin foil parcel and wrapped up the shoulder again, making sure there was no way of the potential steam to escape - back onto smoker.
    2016-06-07.jpg

at 4pm the smell was mouthwatering.

2016-06-07.jpg

At 4.30pm I took the shoulder out and left it to rest as I lit 2 bags of lumpwood and put into the main chamber of the smoker so know I could use it as a bbq, which it performed well. Whilst that was getting going I carefully opened the pulled pork parcel and the bone, literally fell away to one side! Delighted!

2016-06-07.jpg

Drained the juices into a bowl and added the shredded meat back into the juices!
    2016-06-07.jpg

Shredded the pork very easily and was delighted with a really deep smoke ring that had developed!
    2016-06-07.jpg

2016-06-07.jpg

It was wolfed down!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

When did Aldi have smokers and why was I not informed???

Looks incredible. How much was the smoker?

Smoker was €79.99.

As a smoker goes I'd give it 6/10 but with a few adjustments it works great 8/10.

By the time I needed to use as bbq it was piping hot so the bbq got goin really fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Were they in Aldi recently? I don't recall seeing them.

I've done smoking in my Weber but quite fancy an offset setup

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    Were they in Aldi recently? I don't recall seeing them.

I've done smoking in my Weber but quite fancy an offset setup

About 3 weeks ago, maybe 4, but the weird thing was they werent advertised on their app or in their instore mag. I was just happened to be there and seen them and dropped a hint that my birthday was coming up. (Aldi Tallaght Belgard)

I'll sell you mine for €450! :D

Advertisement