Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post a video of your swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Niall09 wrote: »
    Went to the range to fix the oul swing today. After about a month solid of hitting 1 or 2 fairways a round with the driver I thought it was time to see what the problem was.

Last ball of the evening

Looks great to me, what is your swing speed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

I have no idea. Haven't had a lesson in nearly 3 years.

Is there a way of figuring it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭golfnut1

Here sure what the hell, I enjoyed looking at others so here's me hitting a six iron

Any feedback welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoxjbuDmwJ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Niall,

that swing

*drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

golfnut1 wrote: »
    Here sure what the hell, I enjoyed looking at others so here's me hitting a six iron

Any feedback welcome.

Do you fall over a lot when you play?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭golfnut1

Ha.

Yeah when I saw the clip I was surprised how close together my feet were. Feet a bit further apart now.
    It's great to see your swing every now again even though I cringe when I see it its great for picking up things you never normally get to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

golfnut1 wrote: »

Any feedback welcome.

Turn the camera 90 degree and retake. ive a pain in my neck from looking at it:D

Went to the range to fix the oul swing today. After about a month solid of hitting 1 or 2 fairways a round with the driver I thought it was time to see what the problem was.

Last ball of the evening

Agree, swing looks pretty good to me too. What are you bad shots/misses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Last ball of the evening

Your shoulders are very open on address compared to your feet, knees and hips.
    Other than that it's a nice swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Agree, swing looks pretty good to me too. What are you bad shots/misses?

My bad shots with the driver are big push slices which go wayyyyyyyy right. I know what's causing it though, there's a bit of an overswing there and it's also very flat at the top causing me to come down from the inside. So when my hands don't rotate through the ball, it just goes miles right.

• Advertisement

My bad shots with the driver are big push slices which go wayyyyyyyy right. I know what's causing it though, there's a bit of an overswing there and it's also very flat at the top causing me to come down from the inside. So when my hands don't rotate through the ball, it just goes miles right.

Cant really see the overswing from that video but it does look like the club crosses the line at abt 2 sec in the vid if you look closely enough.

The rest you seem to already know whats going on so it just sounds like timing.

I wouldnt consider it flat either at the top for a driver. Not much difference between you and McIlroy in this position.

clipimage002pb.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Last ball of the evening

Ahh...a young man's swing! (And a nice one at that).

I notice that your head drops a bit towards the top of your back swing (if you notice, your head is above the level of the ditch at the end of the range at the start but falls (briefly) to the same level towards the top of your backswing).

Probably nothing and I wouldn't be in a position to say what this would cause or anything, perhaps some of the better golfers here would comment.

If you're throwing out this swing though, please PM ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Loire wrote: »
    Ahh...a young man's swing! (And a nice one at that).

I notice that your head drops a bit towards the top of your back swing (if you notice, your head is above the level of the ditch at the end of the range at the start but falls (briefly) to the same level towards the top of your backswing).

Probably nothing and I wouldn't be in a position to say what this would cause or anything, perhaps some of the better golfers here would comment.

If you're throwing out this swing though, please PM ;):D

Actually - here is an observation, take it as such please as there is nothing worse for a swing as badly informed advice. You have a very early wrist break, caused by picking the club up with your wrists. It leads to a flat takeaway, and consequently a flat return to square and difficulty squaring the club, and wild slices as an occasional consequence unless your timing is spot on. To fix, your wrists should hinge naturally at the top of your backswing, not too early - there is a tee drill you can do to promote a slightly longer, straighter takeaway, but I find people react best to simply focusing on keeping your wrists still through at least the first two feet of your takeaway - they should naturally break at the top. Hope this helps.

*edit - aimed at Niall09 obviously, not Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

[QUOTE=coddlesangers;78834085]*edit - aimed at Niall09 obviously, not Loire.[/QUOTE]

LOL! If I had a swing like that I'd be posting it with a title like "Na na nana na"!!!! AND I'd hit a 5 iron off every tee!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lessons commenced last week.
    I've booked 4 between now and next Feb.
    Going to try to put as much "good practice" in as possible between now and then.

Playing of 19 (society) at present, have only started to really play to 19 over the last 3-months with rounds averaging somewhere in the 30-34 region.

Big hopes for next year...don't we all.

He's a video of my current swing.
    The first things I'm working on for the next month are (not working on any of the following below, it's my swing pre lesson)
    1. Too much weight on left leg throughout
    2. Left leg too far forward in alignment
    3. Trying to straighten up and get the left shoulder coming under my chin.

Appreciate any feedback, I'm going to try to stick to working solely on what the pro says but appreciate any other feedback that will mess with my head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Going to try to put as much "good practice" in as possible between now and then.

Playing of 19 (society) at present, have only started to really play to 19 over the last 3-months with rounds averaging somewhere in the 30-34 region.

The first things I'm working on for the next month are (not working on any of the following below, it's my swing pre lesson)

Appreciate any feedback, I'm going to try to stick to working solely on what the pro says but appreciate any other feedback that will mess with my head :)

Looks good to me.
    I would agree that you have a closed stance...are your bad shots hooks or big pushes right?

Personally I wouldnt worry about weight on the left leg, I dont shift my weight back from my front foot in my swing (based on feedback from my prod) and it doesnt cause any problems and actually helps striking down on the irons (for me).
    /edit
    Actually in slo-mo your left foot comes off the ground, so I doubt you are keeping much weight on it to be honest!
    Do you keep your stats when you play? Your full swing is easily good enough for 12, might have to start wearing a sombrero! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

;)

Nice swing aj

Looks like a bandit off 19 to me.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Looks good to me.
    I would agree that you have a closed stance...are your bad shots hooks or big pushes right?

Personally I wouldnt worry about weight on the left leg, I dont shift my weight back from my front foot in my swing (based on feedback from my prod) and it doesnt cause any problems and actually helps striking down on the irons (for me).
    /edit
    Actually in slo-mo your left foot comes off the ground, so I doubt you are keeping much weight on it to be honest!
    Do you keep your stats when you play? Your full swing is easily good enough for 12, might have to start wearing a sombrero! :P

Most bad shots are slices Greebo and they generally come with my Driver (3 wood to lesser extent).
    I'm also prone to the odd S***k with my irons, Pro said it was due to too much weight on left, left foot causing closed stance which forces my body trying to to try to get out of the way...if that makes sense.

I started out with an out to in swing but I seem to have gotten it more on plane over the summer with irons but haven't brought the change to the longer clubs swing.

I think I see what you do with my left leg, it does appear to come up a bit, but even though it does that just means that I am applying more pressure on the smaller area of my left foot.
    I've been conscience of it since the lesson, and I'd say the weight balance on my left floats between 60-70% throughout the swing.
    My left knee and leg are very loaded/(coiled?) throughout swing.

Not too concerned with getting the chin up as I do it more often than not, that video was ball no.97 of 100 (too much I know) so it was a fairly tired one.

Realistically I was playing to 24 at start of year (was fooling myself thinking I was 18), I'm steady at 19 now, think I could push on from. I haven't paid any attention to sort game really, it's all been about getting comfortable with a good swing.

Short game work and a little improvement with swing could get me to 12, but I haven't seen a trough in a while so I could be due one!

Happy enough with it to be honest (sure I wouldn't post if not :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭MP62

At address your shoulders are parallel or slightly open to target, your hips are slightly closed and your feet are more closed, the feet don't matter overall as much as the hips and shoulders, make sure the hips and shoulders are in sync at address, I'd recomend parallel or slightly open.
    Also I disagree with a previous poster who says your swing at present is good enough for a 12 handicapper, I'd say more like a 7 or 8, finally one more thing to remember is to let the swing happen naturally, you seem to have a tendency to force the swing through impact, just trust it and let it happen.

• Advertisement

;)

Nice swing aj

Looks like a bandit off 19 to me.

Ta, not a bandit, have never had more that 37 points but I am getting there, hope to drop a good few shots by this time next year.
    If you click into the video on youtube you'll see a video from someone trying to break 80 on the list of suggested videos!

MP62 wrote: »
    At address your shoulders are parallel or slightly open to target, your hips are slightly closed and your feet are more closed, the feet don't matter overall as much as the hips and shoulders, make sure the hips and shoulders are in sync at address, I'd recomend parallel or slightly open.
    Also I disagree with a previous poster who says your swing at present is good enough for a 12 handicapper, I'd say more like a 7 or 8, finally one more thing to remember is to let the swing happen naturally, you seem to have a tendency to force the swing through impact, just trust it and let it happen.

Nail on head there! It's something that I've only really been aware off since last week. I spent all summer watching online videos, and I think they helped my swing in fairness, but I don't think I would have spotted that myself if I didn't see pro.
    That swing was a tired one alright, I did force it, the video just missed me telling my mate to scrap that one and take another one... I deleted the other video by mistake!

To other boardsie, It took me 2 years to see my swing on video, fear mainly, I'd definitely recommend it though, it really focuses the mind.

Rip that plaster of and give us a look :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

No chance of me posting mine. It's a work in progress and could well be end of my love with golf if I cannot fix it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭IanPoulter

How anyone can predict someone's handicap with a ten second analysis is fantastic. I've seen fellas hitting the ball 300yds playing of 18. Short game determines the handicap potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭MP62

IanPoulter wrote: »
    How anyone can predict someone's handicap with a ten second analysis is fantastic. I've seen fellas hitting the ball 300yds playing of 18. Short game determines the handicap potential.
    I would have said it's not that difficult atall, as far as I can see he has no obvious physical disability, so I don't see why he or anyone else for that matter wouldn't have the potential to play off 7 or 8, but maybe you know better?.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Here is mine. This is from a few months ago. Stance has narrowed stopping my right foot "slipping"

Currently off a 10 handicap but hoping to get better

Slow-mo is deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Nail on head there! It's something that I've only really been aware off since last week. I spent all summer watching online videos, and I think they helped my swing in fairness, but I don't think I would have spotted that myself if I didn't see pro.
    That swing was a tired one alright, I did force it, the video just missed me telling my mate to scrap that one and take another one... I deleted the other video by mistake!
    @AJCurry,

try hitting a few balls while lifting your right foot off the ground after impact. You're not transferring your weight over to your left foot and falling back on your right which is causing your right shoulder to block out and stopping your follow through from completing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I'd work on your short game AJ, cos that ain't the swing of a high handicapper!

If I was being ultra-critical, I'd say your swing is a little flat. If you watch a top class player, they manage to get the club coming down on a very square line through the ball, whereas you (like me!) come at it from inside the line, which means we have to rely a lot on timing to hit straight, solid shots.

• Advertisement

IanPoulter wrote: »

To sum up both sides of the divide.
    I may have a swing of a 12 handicapper (hate saying that, just quoting what was said) but I've the handicap of a 19 handicapper.
    Short game was neglected by working on swing, that's fine with me, but I need to really focus and push on with my short game if I want to reduce hc.

Advertisement