Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

summer season 09 - how the opposition are doing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

That makes a mockery of the whole ****ing league tbh. They should be both put down for a 3-0 loss. ****ing joke.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Couldnt agree more Martin, it's a joke and should not have been allowed. I miss a lot of united games playing for Bordeaux and even before that playing with other teams.

If I have the choice to play or watch, playing wins 100% of the time no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

That's absolutely scandalous, they shouldn't be allowed play for 6 points in the next fixture. Refusing to play a game of ball cos of two English teams on the tele... for ****s sake :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

That is ridiculous in fairness, what happens now if one of them is unable to field in a team in the return game? A six point walkover for their opponent?

What happens if one of them is doing brutally in the league while another is 4 points off the top? They agree to let the others win or not turn up at all since they were sound enough to let them watch the match.

A load of hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Draupnir wrote: »
    That is ridiculous in fairness, what happens now if one of them is unable to field in a team in the return game? A six point walkover for their opponent?

What happens if one of them is doing brutally in the league while another is 4 points off the top? They agree to let the others win or not turn up at all since they were sound enough to let them watch the match.

A load of hoop.

shocking. i assume all the other teams know about this? its farcical. they are obvious buddies with each other and would be worried if as you say, theres a league to be won on the back of this.

• Advertisement

While I agree, neither of these teams are likely to be challenging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 andrew71

Howdy lads, Andrew from Full Irish here. Is that for real about a 6 point game? That's not right at all. It's open to all kinds of abuse. Is this something that should be raised with Astro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

andrew71 wrote: »
    Howdy lads, Andrew from Full Irish here. Is that for real about a 6 point game? That's not right at all. It's open to all kinds of abuse. Is this something that should be raised with Astro?

Hello there.

Yeah, when I noticed there was no result down for that game yesterday morning, I got on to Astro.

Here's the email exchange
    Hi,

Just wondering if the game in our Division last night between Shakhtar Senseless and Ravenhill didn't go ahead, or if neither team has yet updated the website?

Cheers

Des
    Hi Des,

They both wanted to watch the Champs League game so they decided to play for double points inb the return game.

Regards,

So this means any team can make that arrangement, right? Or any two teams can come up with a harebrained idea that's against the rules of the league.

One of your guys said they should both be down for a 3-0 loss and that's bang on.
    If a team fails to fulfill a fixture, that team automatically loses that fixture by a score of 3-0. If a team fails to fulfill a fixture without prior notification both to their opponents and to the league they will have one league point deducted and Rule 14 will also apply. If neither team shows up, without prior notice, the penalty applies to both teams and no points will be awarded. If prior notification is given the one point deduction will not apply but the absent team still loses the game by 3-0. The fixture will not be rearranged under any circumstances.

Both teams gave prior notice that they weren't going to fulfill the fixture so they should both be down for a 3-0 defeat.

One game cannot be worth 6 points, it's just completely unfair. If they wanted to stay in and watch TV that's their tough luck.

Under that rule they both lose 3-0. Complete joke.

• Advertisement

I suppose we could go all Ollie on them :D

Hey Andy, I'm off to Germany for the weekend tomorrow, but yeah, I think possibly we should get in touch with the league to see what exactly is going on here.

Perhaps email the contacts for the other teams available in the division too, see what they think.

There is a Ravenhill player who was with us for a season or so a while back, and he does use this site too, perhaps he'll post in here to give maybe a better perspective on this situation.

I'm gonna check with the other lads on our team, see what they think. Will get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

There is a Ravenhill player who was with us for a season or so a while back, and he does use this site too, perhaps he'll post in here to give maybe a better perspective on this situation.

You know lads, given how well you all know me and the interaction we've had you could have just sent me a PM and asked rather than mouth off.

To dismiss a couple of the myths posted, we're not buddies and have never met the other crowd before. Actually that may not be true, but I won't know that until we play them and find out, but to the best of my knowledge none of us know any of them.

Secondly the whole idea of 6 point games is something that has always been available in the Astro leagues, or to put it fairly, has been available for as long as I've been playing in them which is 10 years now. Granted most of the time you see it happen it's because there was something wrong with the pitch or the ref didn't turn up, but it has always been there as an option.

Now with that said I'll tell you the events as they transpired. It turned out that a number of our players where injured, away or had tickets to the game last Tuesday. So we mailed the Astro league on Thursday to see whether there was a provision that would allow us to postpone the game and field a full side. They said there wasn't but that we could agree with the other team to play one game for 6 points at a later stage in the season.

We didn't particularly want that, but faced with the option of turning up with 9 men or maybe having a full side later in the season and winning a game for the full set of points we sent the mail. I sincerely doubt that Des or any of the guys running the other teams would do anything different if they didn't have a team and were given the option.

Shaktar declined and said they would like to play the game, so we were ready to play on Tuesday and were planning on turning up with 10 players in the end, even though one of those was injured and just making up numbers, that includes me but only because I couldn't get a ticket for the game. If I could have I wouldn't have been there either.

We then got an email on Tuesday afternoon from Shaktar saying that they couldn't field a team and would we still consider playing a game later in the season for the full 6 points. We could have acted the prick and said no we'll take a walkover, but what would that have served?

Lads, ultimately (and I want to win as much if not more than the next man) these are supposed to be social leagues with the emphasis on having a game of ball rather than gaining points at any cost. As we had initially suggested it in order to avoid fielding an under-sized team the gaffer decided that the better part of valour was accepting their request.

In fairness while I like to think I get on with any of you that know me, there are bigger battles to be fought than two teams in a social league deciding to play one game for 6 points. Especially since it happens at every level right up to Leinster Senior League when required, again with the caveat that it's mainly for pitch or referee issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ketamine rovers

I agree with frank.whats wrong with a bit of friendly banter between teams.get the rivalry's going.thats whats its all about.its not my fault teams are getting intimitaded by ketamine rovers.might be afraid of getting the beat down from a set of kids in there debut season.ketamine rovers for the league.f***ed up on the first game.on top form now.the last 3 games.3 wins.3 clean sheets.will be top in no time.just looking forward to play the league leaders.expecting a good game.

Cant understand why everyone is going mad about ravenhill and shaktar not playing.let them play for the six points.both teams have played 2 and 3 games each and either have won a game.ketamine rovers are not one bit bothered about this.where winning our matches and thats all that counts.stop crying about it and get on with the league.check the league table out.there down bottom with no points.no worries.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The issue is that come end of season Ket, if you're on top and are 4 points ahead of either Ravenhill or Shakthar and you have no games left and they have to play each other if either of them win you will lose the league as they are playing for 6 points.

Yet if they had played on tuesday and got a draw or the other team won this may not be the case.

Can astro reschedule the game?

Iago wrote: »
    You know lads, given how well you all know me and the interaction we've had you could have just sent me a PM and asked rather than mouth off.

To dismiss a couple of the myths posted, we're not buddies and have never met the other crowd before. Actually that may not be true, but I won't know that until we play them and find out, but to the best of my knowledge none of us know any of them.

Secondly the whole idea of 6 point games is something that has always been available in the Astro leagues, or to put it fairly, has been available for as long as I've been playing in them which is 10 years now. Granted most of the time you see it happen it's because there was something wrong with the pitch or the ref didn't turn up, but it has always been there as an option.

Now with that said I'll tell you the events as they transpired. It turned out that a number of our players where injured, away or had tickets to the game last Tuesday. So we mailed the Astro league on Thursday to see whether there was a provision that would allow us to postpone the game and field a full side. They said there wasn't but that we could agree with the other team to play one game for 6 points at a later stage in the season.

We didn't particularly want that, but faced with the option of turning up with 9 men or maybe having a full side later in the season and winning a game for the full set of points we sent the mail. I sincerely doubt that Des or any of the guys running the other teams would do anything different if they didn't have a team and were given the option.

Shaktar declined and said they would like to play the game, so we were ready to play on Tuesday and were planning on turning up with 10 players in the end, even though one of those was injured and just making up numbers, that includes me but only because I couldn't get a ticket for the game. If I could have I wouldn't have been there either.

We then got an email on Tuesday afternoon from Shaktar saying that they couldn't field a team and would we still consider playing a game later in the season for the full 6 points. We could have acted the prick and said no we'll take a walkover, but what would that have served?

Lads, ultimately (and I want to win as much if not more than the next man) these are supposed to be social leagues with the emphasis on having a game of ball rather than gaining points at any cost. As we had initially suggested it in order to avoid fielding an under-sized team the gaffer decided that the better part of valour was accepting their request.

In fairness while I like to think I get on with any of you that know me, there are bigger battles to be fought than two teams in a social league deciding to play one game for 6 points. Especially since it happens at every level right up to Leinster Senior League when required, again with the caveat that it's mainly for pitch or referee issues.

Gary, whatever you might think about there being bigger battles to be fought, the lads at Boardeaux have put a lot of time and effort into building a team from scratch and are on the cusp of a big achievement as reward.

It's fairly ****ty for other lads to suit themselves and treat the league as a joke so they can watch something on TV. Just because it's football does that make it ok? If half your side get tickets to the new Star Trek film next Tuesday night will you try and get a six point match against your opponents? If the weather is brutal can teams start rescheduling to good conditions?

The whole idea of a league as that it tests a team over a prolonged period, testing their ability as well as their staying power and commitment. If you start organising six point matches at the end of the season then that's a joke and disrespectful to the rest of the league, be it Brenfer North Dublin Under 8F or it's English Premier League.

I'm not having a pop at you personally by the way, fair play to you for giving the other side of the coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Gary, whatever you might think about there being bigger battles to be fought, the lads at Boardeaux have put a lot of time and effort into building a team from scratch and are on the cusp of a big achievement as reward.

and I don't dispute that, neither do I dispute the fact that fairly soon they'll walk away with the league. May be this summer season, but will happen soon enough I think.
    It's fairly ****ty for other lads to suit themselves and treat the league as a joke so they can watch something on TV.

Just to be clear, we weren't looking to postpone because the game was on TV. We couldn't field a team because we didn't have enough players that weren't injured and in the country.

Just because it's football does that make it ok? If half your side get tickets to the new Star Trek film next Tuesday night will you try and get a six point match against your opponents? If the weather is brutal can teams start rescheduling to good conditions?

Again we didn't want a 6 pointer, we wanted the game rescheduled. If that wasn't possible we were happy to turn up and play, even without a full team.
    The whole idea of a league as that it tests a team over a prolonged period, testing their ability as well as their staying power and commitment. If you start organising six point matches at the end of the season then that's a joke and disrespectful to the rest of the league, be it Brenfer North Dublin Under 8F or it's English Premier League.

I'm not having a pop at you personally by the way, fair play to you for giving the other side of the coin.

I disagree with this on the basis that ideally what you want is for each team to make the best effort they can for every game. If you lost the league because your nearest opponents got a walkover in the last game that would make a joke of the competition. Playing a 6 pointer isn't ideal, but does happen as I mentioned in every realm of amateur football in Ireland. I've played in 6 pointer games in the Intermediate Divisions of the Leinster Senior League in the past.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that nobody is trying to get one over on anyone else, a situation came up, some solutions were proposed and one was taken. If the option is there then people will take advantage of it. Maybe the league need to change their rules, but the ethos of the Astro league is firmly on enjoyable and competitive social occasions rather than winning at all costs.

Or to put it another way, if for whatever reason the Boards team didn't have enough players this week would you rather give a walkover or play for 6 points at a later stage in the season? If a team is doing it every week then there's a problem, if it's a once-off then I don't think it's such a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

For what it's worth, while I'd have a pretty low opinion of a bunch of lads if they opted to sit on a bar stool watching a match instead of showing up for a scheduled game (which is what this looked like based on the Astro.ie mail), even then I didn't have any major beef with it as a once-off.

Gary has pointed out that there was more to it than it first seemed, so my view on it is just leave it be. We're already giving teams enough incentive to try knock us off the top without making too big a deal of things like this.

Looking forward to the game against Ketamine now by the way!

Iago wrote: »
    and I don't dispute that, neither do I dispute the fact that fairly soon they'll walk away with the league. May be this summer season, but will happen soon enough I think.

Just to be clear, we weren't looking to postpone because the game was on TV. We couldn't field a team because we didn't have enough players that weren't injured and in the country.

Again we didn't want a 6 pointer, we wanted the game rescheduled. If that wasn't possible we were happy to turn up and play, even without a full team.

I disagree with this on the basis that ideally what you want is for each team to make the best effort they can for every game. If you lost the league because your nearest opponents got a walkover in the last game that would make a joke of the competition. Playing a 6 pointer isn't ideal, but does happen as I mentioned in every realm of amateur football in Ireland. I've played in 6 pointer games in the Intermediate Divisions of the Leinster Senior League in the past.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that nobody is trying to get one over on anyone else, a situation came up, some solutions were proposed and one was taken. If the option is there then people will take advantage of it. Maybe the league need to change their rules, but the ethos of the Astro league is firmly on enjoyable and competitive social occasions rather than winning at all costs.

Or to put it another way, if for whatever reason the Boards team didn't have enough players this week would you rather give a walkover or play for 6 points at a later stage in the season? If a team is doing it every week then there's a problem, if it's a once-off then I don't think it's such a big deal.

Fair play for responding Gary, can see where you are coming from and agree with Jules, let it go since it's a once off.

19:15 WES1 Ketamine Rovers 2-1 The full irish
    19:15 WES2 Roys Rovers 6-2 Fabulous Benedictine Monks
    20:15 WES1 Glenwood Rovers 4-3 Shackthar Senseless
    20:15 WES2 Bareassalona 1-2 Ravenhill

Is anyone heading over early?

If anyone is, can they see if they can get the results fo the first two games, thanks.

Hopefully Full Irish can do us a favour and take points off Ketamine Rovers.

• Advertisement

Other scores as above.

We should be back on top on Goals Scored, as the GD with us and Ketamine is equal on +11

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

looks like ketamins beat full irish 2-1, now i maybe wrong. leaves us both on 15, us top on goals scored.

its us and them for now, but that can and will, change. glenwood started poor last year but then won 10 in a row.

That Glenwood match was a strange one.

Shackthar had ten men, and it was 1-1 at half time.

They then went 3-1 up with about ten minutes to go, and then collapsed with Glenwood scoring three.

Des wrote: »
    That Glenwood match was a strange one.

Shackthar had ten men, and it was 1-1 at half time.

They then went 3-1 up with about ten minutes to go, and then collapsed with Glenwood scoring three.

+1, was some turn around but fair play to Glenwood they went for it and got the 3 points.

As Ed says, looks like Ketamine will be serious challengers this year but Roys Rovers are only a couple of points behind and TFI only a couple behind them so it's still pretty tight.

The game against Ketamine in 2 weeks will be a challenge and a massive 6 pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

What's the link to the league table? Might be a good idea to stick it into the Fixtures/Results sticky.

Hadn't realised Glenwood got the 4th last night as I was in the 5-a-side pitch warming up....bummer cos a draw there would've been the ideal result for us.

Far too early to see how things will shake up towards the end but it's clear that Ketamine will be there or thereabouts. I'm on holliers next week so will miss the Glenwood game but am looking forward to that Ketamine game...

Anyone catch the Ketamine score? Full Irish and Roys Rovers won again anyway. Two tiers of 5 now with 6 points seperating the two.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Anyone catch the Ketamine score? Full Irish and Roys Rovers won again anyway. Two tiers of 5 now with 6 points seperating the two.

They won 6-0 Martin. So they are now on top.

No matter. When we win next week they'll be back to second :cool:

• Advertisement

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    No matter. When we win next week they'll be back to second :cool:
    + f**king 1!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement