Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

summer season 09 - how the opposition are doing

Options
  • 15-04-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

early days, so impossible to judge who will be the main condenders.

tonights scores so far -

Ketamine Rovers 3 Bareassalona 2
    Roys Rovers 3 Glenwood Rovers 2
    The full irish 0 Boardeaux 3

obviously glenwood losing is good news, just also means that may roys rovers are good!

i wonder if they have got in another team yet, who would have been playing ravenhill tonight.

it will be 3/4 weeks before we know what the new teams are like and who will challenge.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ketamine Rovers look decent, they can pass the ball around but are a bit on the older side so their fitness is their weak point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Shackthar Senseless 1 Fabulous Benedictine Monks 4

the monks are a big physical side, will be decent. playing them next week i think? early indications show that as last season, alot of the teams will beat each other and take points off each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Looks like, as we suspected, standard is a little higher in summer. Makes it more interesting anyway. Takes a few weeks for the results to form a pattern anyway so we actually know who'll challenge.

looks like the filled 12 divisions also. wonder why we seem to be the only division with a slot for another team. Gary, did ravenhill play last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Think Roy's Rovers won our league in our 2nd or 3rd season. Decent team and were good for the 2-0 win against us that I remember but they were also very dependent on 2 or 3 key players - striker, right winger and centre midfielder. That's quite a while ago now so I doubt they're the same, but if they've improved further they'll be a very strong side.

Unless the Monks have changed dramatically since the last 4 times we played them (and I saw the 2 lads I know last night so doubt they've changed that much), we are a much better side than them.

Does that mean we're entitled to 3 points against them or Shacktar cos Monks walloped Shacktar? Hell no, we'll have to fight hard for every 3 points in every game. What it does mean though is we should have absolute belief in our ability to beat every team in this league. If we believe that and play to our ability, we'll go very far. If we get complacent, we won't but I sense we have the opposite challenge at the moment - managing the clear hunger for the title in the squad; when you're that eager it's difficult to keep composure on the ball and we saw a little of that last night. I'd prefer that to complacency though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Think Roy's Rovers won our league in our 2nd or 3rd season. Decent team and were good for the 2-0 win against us that I remember but they were also very dependent on 2 or 3 key players - striker, right winger and centre midfielder. That's quite a while ago now so I doubt they're the same, but if they've improved further they'll be a very strong side.

Were Roys Rovers the side that wore all the Italian jerseys and the chap you knew smashed Simon and his shinguard in half?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

i wonder if they have got in another team yet, who would have been playing ravenhill tonight.

I mailed them to ask
    me wrote:
    Hi,

Was just wondering what the situation is regarding the unfilled place in Mens 11-a-side Division 9?

Will the place be filled, or will we miss out on 2 games this season?

Thanks
    astro wrote:
    Hi Des,

We're actively trying to fill the place.

Hopefully should have someone either next week or the week after.

Regards,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Roys Rovers beat Glenwood last week, so it looks like they are a decent team too.

From what I heard/saw tonight

Ravenhill 0-2 Ketamine Rovers
    The full irish 1-1 Roys Rovers
    Shackthar Senseless 1-3 Bareassalona

Glenwood Rovers didn't play

We're top on GD

Shackthar shipped three tonight having let four in last week against FBM, we should definitely be targetting six points against them.

Email from Astro
    Hi Lads,

Perrem Design Hardware are taking the last place in Div 9 and will begin their fixtures tomorrow night.

You will see that the TBA team has been removed and that you will have games in those slots.

Regards,
    ASL

• Advertisement

Thats good news at least we wont have a week with no game.

any sign of when the cup games kick off?

It's usually later in the season.

As far as I remember it usually kicks off the Friday that a lot of people head out of Dublin to a field in the sticks. ;)

Decent enough side with one excellent player in the middle. Nothing we should fear though. The league is there for the taking.

Thats good news at least we wont have a week with no game.

any sign of when the cup games kick off?
    Des wrote: »
    It's usually later in the season.

As far as I remember it usually kicks off the Friday that a lot of people head out of Dublin to a field in the sticks. ;)

How wrong was I?
    :o
    Hi Lads,

Each Summer Astro.ie run a free cup competition for all 11 a side teams.

Your first round cup game will be played on as below.
    (All cup games are played on Fridays)

Please note your time and venue, directions are below.

Fri 22-May-09 St. Colmcilles, Knocklyon 21:00 Boardeaux ( 9 ) v Norfolk-Inchance ( 12 )

Tonight's other results

Ravenhill 0-1 The full irish
    Shackthar Senseless 2-4 Roys Rovers
    Perrem Design Hardware 0-7 Ketamine Rovers
    Glenwood Rovers 1-0 Fabulous Benedictine Monks (Featuring Jules)

Perrem didnt have 11 for that game just to note.

Glenwood 1 - 0 Fabulous Benedictine Monks.

I really enjoyed playing for the Monks and it nearly paid off as I was involved in several moves and laid on a good few chances that brought great saves out of the Glenwood keeper so it nearly helped drop 2 points off one of the title contenders.

Glenwood scored after 10 minutes just as Monks' 11th man was arriving and to be honest Monks had one very weak player so it's clear Glenwood are very beatable. I was focusing on learning a lot about Glenwood and will share my observations with the gaffer.

A few things of note though:
    -as soon as the massive fella, Red, at the back went off they really fell to pieces at the back.
    -their keeper pulled off easily the two best saves I've seen in any astro game. Both full length dives digging out shots into the bottom corner - he got down well despite his height. Also made my light work of my 30 yarder heading for the top corner.
    -they really are a great example on communication: they're literally having full conversations with each other - as the ball arrives to a man he's already been told clearly what his options are.

Despite all that, Glenwood were extremely lucky to hang onto the win: despite the 2 great saves Monks also hit the post from 8 yards and there were several other shots that would've gone in on another night.

So all in all, I admire a lot about Glenwood's organisation but if they can be left playing the ball into the corners for the last 5 minutes as they hang onto a 1-0 against a limited Monks team, we can definitely beat them as long as we take the game to them and don't give them the space to play the ball out of defence like they love doing.

Was the ginger lad in the middle for them? He's the key for them. Without him they're fairly rubbish.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Was the ginger lad in the middle for them? He's the key for them. Without him they're fairly rubbish.

There was a smallish ginger lad in the middle but he didn't stand out at all - he rarely got any time on the ball though he looks handy enough on it.

Another point I noticed was they actually win quite little breaking ball. Their preference of playing the ball out of defence (as they are excellent at retaining it) plays to their strengths but they're not the fastest in scrambling for 2nd ball. Pushing up on them is the way to get to them - they'll have less options for playing it out of defence, we'll win more breaking balls and it'll be in their half, and we can match their forwards and wingers for pace should they pick out good through balls.

Perrem didnt have 11 for that game just to note.
    Also, from a GD point of view, I'll just point out that the Perrem game was, in fact, only 7-0, according to the Astro League table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ketamine rovers

Ket rovers are on flying form now.fell at the first hurdle.first game was total shambles.an own goal gave bareasselona the win.but were back.flying form.last 2 games.2 wins.2 clean sheets.ketamine rovers wil be top in no time.and for the age thing.players age range from 18-24.dont think thats old.fitness wise.improving every day.that league is ours.once were top.were staying there.09 is the year for ket rovers.

Yiz are ****. Boobs. Rounders. Monkey. Go boards

Ketamine Rovers look decent, they can pass the ball around but are a bit on the older side so their fitness is their weak point.

Just looking at this post again and you must have been talking about one of the other sides. These lads are all kids. As our new poster just mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ketamine rovers

ye ket rovers are all kids alrite.jus like the arsenal.jus watch out.fitness is improving every game.none of us hav jobs.training every day for this league.go on the ket.that league is ours for the taking.leixlip red.prepare for the beat down.KET KET KET KET KET KET KET KET KET....one bit of advice.just watch out for the "ket corners"......fan base 30+............GO ON THE KETAMINE ROVERS.....KET KET KET KET KET KET

ketamine rovers, a few things.

Stop posting in that abrasive style.

You are welcome to post here, but if you start annoying people, you won't be allowed to post any more.

No TXT SPK please, I'll start deleting posts like that.

just watch out for the "ket corners"......fan base 30+

:D

:D

as jules once said, sure lads, we have 70,000 people to call on :D

Last Nights Games

Glenwood Rovers 0-1 Ketamine Rovers

Bareasselona 3-0 FBM

PDH 1-2 Full Irish

Shakhtar Senseless -v- Ravenhill

Last seemed to not go ahead :confused:

:eek:

Good Grief
    Hi Des,

They both wanted to watch the Champs League game so they decided to play for double points inb the return game.

Regards,
    :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

That is feckin hilarious about Shacktar and Ravenhill deciding to watch the match instead of play their match....just strikes me as pretty sad to choose to sit in front of a tv instead of getting out there to play a match (fair enough if people actually had tickets to the game).

Ketamine did strike me as a decent side when I saw them alright, they play nice football. Don't see much wrong with a few healthy jibes between rivals so let the man speak I say (though agree with the stance on text speak - down with that sort of thing!).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement