Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest (and sweatiest) moments in gaming

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Scariest: Hmm being a Wii owner doesn't really give me much range of fearful games! But I'd have to say Dead Space: Extraction. I've watched the bro complete Dead Space on his ps3 and wanted to delve in to the universe myself. There was one bit near the end where the group are near to leaving the ship and you get to the train platform. Except there's a group of people standing there, waiting. Suddenly (and very effin slowly) they all start to turn their heads to look at you. The protagonist looks away, then back and BAM there's one of the bastids standing right behind you. Nearly cacked meself.

Sweatiest: Any of the horde battles in Resi 4 I s'pose. They always get the heart pumping.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

you only mentioned Overture which wasnt nearly as good :D

just kidding man :pac:

i love the trilogy of penumbra, such an underrated gem of a game. i remember playing the first one just after watching dawn of the dead, expecting zombies or something in the game. couldnt be more wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

scariest
    for making you jump: Quake 1. Possibly largely because it was the first 3d fps I played though.
    for freaking you out a bit: Silent Hill when you go into the other dimension

most tension:
    In Space Rogue, a very very old game now. There's a bit where you have to retrieve something from an abandoned station only inhabited by a monster that kills you immediately it gets near you. High level of tension if you are trying to complete the game in one sitting, without using a save.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I've always thought that the level in Max Payne where you are in this giant black place* and there is a baby constantly crying was pretty freaky.

*I haven't played it in a while so my memory is rusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Jako8 wrote: »
    I've always thought that the level in Max Payne where you are in this giant black place* and there is a baby constantly crying was pretty freaky.

Are you on about at the start?
    I'm still on chapter one XD

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That but can **** right off with those annoying jumps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The sweatiest - The last lap of my first online race win in Grand Prix Legends at Monza!! It took me about six months to get to that level of ability. My biggest fear was sliding off on spent tyres, trying to concentrate on this as well as my hands and arms shaking like fook was bad.

Scariest, lol I decided not to bother playing the rest of FEAR after bricking myself after playing for only half an hour. That burning stress tension in your shoulders aint worth it!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Sera wrote: »
    No not her. The one I'm on about randomly falls from the ceiling and screams and she moves weird on her back, the first cutscene of her is when you're coming down the stairs and she passes you falling and she's pure close to your face and she crashes into the ground.
    Ah yeah, remember her now (thanks to a quick youtube search). There's a cutscene for her so, at least, you get a warning 'scream' before she's up close and personal. The way she moves is pretty unique. I like the 'Woman In Box' spirit, she's got that classic Ringu 'TV' animation.
    Do you think the part where
    Sae chases you through the corridors is scary? And she tells you to open to door and let her in?
    ?
    Think I know the bit you're on about - scary because you're being chased through a new area and aren't sure which way to go. Some of the doors you come across are locked and, if caught, it's insta-death? Is that the bit?
    My favourite ghost is the Crimson Kimono, the one that has the bell :3
    Is that Sae, or Yae (that game loves its similarly-named twins)? Don't remember the 3 bells bit though.

The Kusabi you face after this cutcsene makes for a terrifying experience when you don't know what to do.

Also, check out this jackass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb1nVP6RX7E&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If I recal correctly, you were walking along a trail of blood floating in darkness.

Yeah that was a pretty awesome scene.

Fnz wrote: »
    Ah yeah, remember her now (thanks to a quick youtube search). There's a cutscene for her so, at least, you get a warning 'scream' before she's up close and personal. The way she moves is pretty unique. I like the 'Woman In Box' spirit, she's got that classic Ringu 'TV' animation.

Think I know the bit you're on about - scary because you're being chased through a new area and aren't sure which way to go. Some of the doors you come across are locked and, if caught, it's insta-death? Is that the bit?

Is that Sae, or Yae (that game loves its similarly-named twins)? Don't remember the 3 bells bit though.

The Kusabi you face after this cutcsene makes for a terrifying experience when you don't know what to do.

Also, check out this jackass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb1nVP6RX7E&feature=related
    I know you get a warning scream, but she still freaks me out, and the way she moves her body, yesh.

Yeah that's the part good man! : D it is only scary first time around but I think it's so scary, it took me more go's then it should have to get past that part.

No it's Chitose,
    she's the white haired boy's sister
    , here's a wiki on her, or if you perfer, a clip show with her track on the ost : D
    She's my favourite, because, umm guess she's like me, kinda shy, I used to hide in closets from strangers too as a kid.
    http://www.cameraslens.com/fatalframewiki/index.php5?title=Crimson_Kimono
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y573jqOlUA

Yeah that's the part I was thinking of.

• Advertisement

e7850ba07d2a0171.png
    How's that for scary? lol XD

http://lutc.blogspot.com/
    There's a game there called the Darkness, it's my one of my favourite games, it's pretty spooky, give it a go ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

When i was a young nooblet in primary school, It was a stormy dark winters day, I found a scratched PlayStation disc lying on the empty cloak room floor, Turned it around and read 'Silent Hill'

I ran home and inserted the mysterious game, It worked! I started playing the game not having a clue why i was following a girl in fog? Then disfigured creatures start coming from all directions :eek:

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    When i was a young nooblet in primary school, It was a stormy dark winters day, I found a scratched PlayStation disc lying on the empty cloak room floor, Turned it around and read 'Silent Hill'

I ran home and inserted the mysterious game, It worked! I started playing the game not having a clue why i was following a girl in fog? Then disfigured creatures start coming from all directions :eek:
    I never played SH1, was it any good? Stormy winter days are the best days to play a scary game ^D^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

clock tower 1 on ps1,fatal frame and silent hill......god....these games are so disturbing that i only dare to play max 2hrs everytime i turn them on( and rarely turn them on to play again)....

clock tower 1 on ps1 is my no.1 - ***king scary to walk around the building and when you hear that MUSIC and the sound of the scissors.......*shiver*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I never played SH1, was it any good? Stormy winter days are the best days to play a scary game ^D^

Very good but not a patch on the second game. The story is a lot simpler.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Very good but not a patch on the second game. The story is a lot simpler.
    I really liked the 2nd one, is the director's cut any good for 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Scariest moment for me was Resi 1, when your walking down a quite hallway and the dogs burst through the windows. I almost died!

Also following the bloodtrail in max payne is up there with the scary moments, scary in a kind of sadistic way.

Most tense moment for me was in Legacy of Kain Defiance when you alternate playing between Kain and Raziel in the final showdown...

I really liked the 2nd one, is the director's cut any good for 2?

I've never played the directors cut but the only difference is it contains a new extra section where you play as maria and fills in a bit more about her. If you are going to get Silent Hill 2 then there's no point not getting the directors cut edition since it has the extra chapter.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've never played the directors cut but the only difference is it contains a new extra section where you play as maria and fills in a bit more about her. If you are going to get Silent Hill 2 then there's no point not getting the directors cut edition since it has the extra chapter.
    Oh I have SH2 already with the making of and stuff. ^^

• Advertisement
Advertisement