Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest (and sweatiest) moments in gaming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Eternal Darkness. Tense AND scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I am enjoying this thread.

Although I didn't continue playing the game because it was such a buggy unfun nightmare, that moment in Stalker where I first encountered a horrendous invisible monster underground was pretty damn terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Also, there is another game I'm thinking of but cannot remember the name of. I think it was on xbox. It was Japanese and set in a spooky old house. You had a camera and the house was filled with tormented ghosts. By taking photos of the ghosts you could drive them back...I forget why but it was far less lame than it sounds and there were some truly freaktastic moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Zillah wrote: »
    Also, there is another game I'm thinking of but cannot remember the name of. I think it was on xbox. It was Japanese and set in a spooky old house. You had a camera and the house was filled with tormented ghosts. By taking photos of the ghosts you could drive them back...I forget why but it was far less lame than it sounds and there were some truly freaktastic moments.

Fatal Frame, known as Project Zero here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_Frame

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

In the vein of helplessness, Clock Tower 3. The fact that you're (almost) always running away from the enemies tenses me up like nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

abelard wrote: »
    There was a bit in Eternal Darkness on the GC, where you went into a bathroom. The camera angle meant you couldn't see what was in the bath, until you walked over and investigated.......

I had palpatations for a while after that...

So what was in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

So what was in it?

Mary Harney naked!! :eek:

I was never the same after that game...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

FruitLover wrote: »
    Mary Harney naked!! :eek:

I was never the same after that game...

My eyes! The goggles do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

90% of Dead Space.

First and only game/film etc to genuinely scare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

This was more terror in the form of "oh **** what have i done". Playing co-op with a mate on Operation Flashpoint, had to blow up two scuds amongst a armoured camp at night. Getting in was tense enough as there was tank patrols aswell as infantry going about. I set the two packs and legged it back and we both pegged it off into the darkness knowing we where about to set the hornets nest off. I press the button and run. I hear one explosion..............

My mate turns to me and says did you not set off the second one? Que ">_<" moment as i run back to get within the detonators range to set off the second charge while tanks run amok furiously.

What was even worse was our helo that was supposed to pick us up never arrived and we had to go on foot to the extraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

+ 1 on Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Playing it a one am, lights out, headphones out. Fire breathing zombie coming at me, I'm desperately back peddling and trying to slow it down.

****, ****, ****!!

Class :D

Even though it was a mediocre game, there were some seriously pant browning moments in FEAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

for me it must be the time i was playing Hidden and Dangerous 1, the level where you had to lay mines and fend off the germans before you get on the plane. i just rememeber a load of them arriving on in tanks and it was fairly sticky! took me 10 attempts to beat them.

and actually on the last attempt i blew up one of my 4 men when i was laying mines lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

for me it must be the time i was playing Hidden and Dangerous 1, the level where you had to lay mines and fend off the germans before you get on the plane. i just rememeber a load of them arriving on in tanks and it was fairly sticky! took me 10 attempts to beat them.

and actually on the last attempt i blew up one of my 4 men when i was laying mines lol

yeah hidden and dangerous 2 had some fantastic tense moments in it and that was one that stuck out.

They did a few levels with the player waiting for a plane or similar.

The best was the seaplane one as the level before it you had been chased across Germany by a number of panthers and tigers and in this level they catch up with you.

What really made it tense though was that there was a genuine time limit, the sequel ruined the hold the line levels by making them trigger based, where once you were ready you radioed in and then the attack started. Made it too easy to abuse the trigger and set everything up without risk and then set the trigger off when you had mined all the opposing start points.

But H+D 1 was cruel and insane with its hold the line levels, you had mere minutes to survey the map and then make your decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Operation Flashpoints third mission. You're whole squad is dead leaving you alone in the woods. You have to make your way from wooded area to wooded area while tanks and armoured cars wait outside the wooded areas, soldiers search for you in the woods and a lynx attack helicopter circles overhead ready to blow you to pieces.

That took me hours. Possibly days. But felt great when I finally made it, made me appreciate the lack of quicksave.
    5uspect wrote: »
    I remember one of the underground labs in STALKER creeping me out.
    The bloody music got on my nerves so much I had to take the headphones off. Which just made it worse when things popped out in front of me with no warning.

First Witch I came across in single player Left 4 Dead too. After a few games of MP I just saw her as a nuisance, but playing SP at night and that music starting up and no idea what was coming freaked me out.

Oh and bits of Ravenholm, mainly the start, it wore off after a while. Until I was completely blase about it, not at all bothered at Fr Grigori taking hours to get that cart across to me. And then I saw/heard my first fast zombie and nearly fell off the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

1st Resident Evil.
    The dogs, the corridor. Screamed like a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

A-Trak wrote: »
    1st Resident Evil.

I can't believe it took four pages before that was posted. Probably the scariest moment in gaming history. The spiders on the ceiling later on the game when your not expecting them were good too.

Still my favourite game of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Scariest/Dumbest
    After an extended late night session on HL2 I went in to the garden for a smoke, when a cat jumped in the tree.... I proceeded to shat myself thinking it was a head crab and my crowbar was nowhere in sight!!!!!

One of the best

When Ice T was in the studio in GTA San Andrea gave me goosebumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shalaska

Rhyme wrote: »
    Silent Hill 2, Brookhaven hospital, wandering the dark corridors with the radio spitting odd bits of confusing static, is there an enemy or not? Walking around ready to beat in the head of anything and everything you see. Reach the end of a corridor and there's nothing, you've been a complete pussy for nothing, swing the torch to the right, door handle is broken, turn the left and there's a nurse with her arm above her head ready to attack.

Fell off the bed, controller ended up on a shelf behind the television, didn't play the game for six months.

Goddam i love that game.

truth man,silent hill 2 really was the best!the worst for me was wandering around the prison hearing those squelching footsteps behind me!! tha or the goddamn toilet that banged as you were walking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Not particularly scary, but I was sweating balls quite recently during the first sniper level in COD4: Modern Warfare and you have to remain perfectly still in the field.

I've played all the others mentioned here, Fatal Frame, Resi, Silent Hill, Eternal Darkness and all those, but since you're expecting the fear in those types of games, it's less of an emotional rollercoaster (although I did resort ot playing Fatal Frame only during day light hours when other people were in teh house :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Greyfox

1st Resident Evil.

Definitely my all time greatest gaming moment, and still the best game ever!

The introduction to the hunters also scared the sh** outta me and I loved the build up to the end with the alarm, countdown and the final fight with the Tyrant on the roof!

The errie atmosphere just has you on edge throughout the whole game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its fairly old but the original alone in the dark opening when your up in the attic and they tryin to get up to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

It wasn't particularly scary but in Half Life 2 when you fight the giant Mantus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Cryostasis has its fair share of pant-wetting moments. It's largely due to the way you start dying as soon as you move away from a heat source. I particularly liked near the start when you're floating around a flooded section in a dinghy and a zombie keeps coming out of the water at you, as well as the bit in the diving suit, and there's a great bit near the end where
    you switch on a projector in the ship's cinema and the guys on the screen start shooting you, and you have to shoot them back only that makes the screen wobble throwing off your aim and then a massive bastard comes out of the screen at you

The underground parts of Stalker are awesome in their oppressive tension. And any level in the Thief series where you had to go near the undead was horrific. I actually had to get someone else to play the catacombs level in Thief 1 the first time round, it creeped me out too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

A few of my scariest moments were;

*Forbidden Siren: The level as Harumi in the house really scared me, but it's my favourite level.

*Forbidden Siren 2: Mamoru Itsuki, 22:00/Shinari Mountain/Pylon #4, that's a scary level. (my FB2 disc isn't even scratched like a few light makes, and whenever I go into a certain level it won't load, so weird)

*Fatal Frame2: the falling woman ghost who just falls outta nowhere and she moves so freaky.

*Haunting Ground: The last 'stalker' of the game *yech*

EDIT: *Silent Hill 4: When the room goes all possessed and the giant head

That's all I can think of ^^;

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sera wrote: »

:D I haven't played it yet but I heard about that bit !

:D I haven't played it yet but I heard about that bit !
    Yeah ^D^ I won't say anything about it, but you should give it a go, it's a really awesome game, I love the thrill of the chase, I'm weird like that. It's ment to be like Clocktower (if you ever played that), I have it upstairs but haven't played it yet ~teehee

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I bought it ages ago, just never got round to it, heard it's excellent and by the same guys that did clock tower.

I bought it ages ago, just never got round to it, heard it's excellent and by the same guys that did clock tower.
    You should try make some time for it, it can be a bit frustrating sometimes, I'll admit ^^;

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

1st Resident Evil.

Heh, scary moment indeed. I remember then I played the remake on the DS knowing that moment was coming, and still jumped slightly. Damn you crazy dogs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Resident Evil 2 - First licker going by the window, ahead of the introductory cinematic for the licker in the following room.
    *Fatal Frame2: the falling woman ghost who just falls outta nowhere and she moves so freaky.

Is that the "drowning woman"? Swims about overhead before attacking?

'Jumpy' scaryist parts of that game are when a ghostly re-enactment of some past event suddenly *appears* without warning; usually just when the camera angle changes. Sometimes occurring as you're re-threading steps you've taken before, in an area you thought to be clear, making it all the more unexpected. Never feels like a cheap scare though, despite being 'sudden'.

I really, really enjoyed that game (Project Zero 2 over here). It just dripped 'atmosphere' - and such interesting lore to be discovered. The spirit stone radio revealed some excellent, creepy thoughts and memories.

That game failed to grab me - though I didn't give it much of a chance. Oh, and by 'stalker' do you mean 'rapist'? ;)

Advertisement