Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest (and sweatiest) moments in gaming

Options
  • 12-04-2009 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

For tension, for me it was, during most missions, driving your target vehicle, on fire and ready to blow, back to base while rival gangs and cops are shooting at you, in GTA 2 and 3.

The haunted house level in Silent Hill 3 had a few s*it scary moments.

Half Life 1's opening also had me tense. The sense that something is about to go wrong as you (Gordon) came in for work, did it in.

What games made you sweat as hard as the final minutes of that Ireland v Wales rugby match?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Last level in fear, when the power goes out i was like aww sh**.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Scariest: I guess Thief: Deadly Shadows - shalebridge cradle. I haven't played very many horror games

Most tension: Not really able to remember any particular game moment that gave me the most tension. To be honest Im at my most tense when Im playing competitively e.g. Counter strike clan match. I remember finishing matches and having to change my t-shirt due to the sweat and heart still pounding away.

I still get a bit of it during PVP in eve online. You could spend maybe 3/4+ hours grinding away to make money to buy a good ship and then lose it in less than a minute of combat, so it can be very tense. Although the tension is subsiding as I play more and more, which is disappointing since I love the feel of tension in a game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

play the original pc Alien vs predator in multiplayer, sewer map, have it so its only 2 player one alien one space marine and play marine.

you will **** full ripe chocolate cakes.

Essentially the alien player can break almost every light in the level and the whole place is full of dark corners and ledges.

Also the alien can break any weapons the marine hasnt picked up yet (something they didnt have in the sequel :( ) so a good alien player can if he knows the map go as fast as the alien in alien 3 and smash every light and weapon on the map and then keep doing laps (circuler sort of map) making sure weapons like the smartgun are never picked up while setting the motion sensor off like mad.

after 2 minutes the marine will shooting wildly at any movement and grenading every doorway before entering, until finally *snap* and I have had a heart attack while my friend sniggers from his machine.

Man I miss those 2 player lans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

My scariest moment is so innocent compared to yours, I think I am still scarred from it.

Aliens again on the Playstation 1, there I was happy as larry, sitting on the bed in the dark, with the music loud on the telly. An innocent, very inexperienced gamer - I started the game, expecting some time to acclimatise to the game (I was wrong). 10 seconds in a FaceHugger attacked me completely covering the TV screen, with horrible noise. I screamed my head off, got the biggest fright of my life and never ever played Aliens again in the dark, with the music on loud.

This post may contain spoilers. Well it does. So read at your own discretion.

Scariest:
    Dead Space
    The zero-G bits. You're walking around. Well. Floating and flying from one place to another, bashing into random flying debris. When holy jesus ****, one of those ugly bastards appears behind you and attacks you.

F.E.A.R
    Those invisible ninja guys that jump through windows, vanish, and re-appear behind you. Gah. Usually I had my trust shotgun to blast anything that makes a sound

Condemned 1
    One bit always always stands out for me. You're in the school tracking down the caretaker. You approach the locker and open it up. That woman tells you to get a close up of his hand. There's a voice inside your head telling you not to. That you know something will happen.
    And then you do and something does happen. And jesus! I almost jumped out of my skin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Operation Flashpoints third mission. You're whole squad is dead leaving you alone in the woods. You have to make your way from wooded area to wooded area while tanks and armoured cars wait outside the wooded areas, soldiers search for you in the woods and a lynx attack helicopter circles overhead ready to blow you to pieces. So other excellent bits in that game like clearing out a village of enemies and hearing tanks in the distance. Being a realistic game you don't just hang around and take them out. Nope, you leg it as fast as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Playing Fallout 3 at 1 AM wearing headphones. When you're not expecting it, a mole rat attacks you. I know mole rats ares nothig but it's **** scary!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Silent Hill 2, Brookhaven hospital, wandering the dark corridors with the radio spitting odd bits of confusing static, is there an enemy or not? Walking around ready to beat in the head of anything and everything you see. Reach the end of a corridor and there's nothing, you've been a complete pussy for nothing, swing the torch to the right, door handle is broken, turn the left and there's a nurse with her arm above her head ready to attack.

Fell off the bed, controller ended up on a shelf behind the television, didn't play the game for six months.

Goddam i love that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Headcrabs jumping out in HL1 and Alien vs Predator 2, running away from the aliens nest hearing all the aliens behind you screeching and your low ammo count flashing away.
    "sh1tsh1tsh1tsh1tsh1t!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Hah, I'm actually playing Half-life 1 now. It does have it's tense moments. You know somethings gonna happen. Damn Headcrabs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,244 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Half Life 2: Ravenholm had some pretty chilly moments, when you aren't entirely sure whats coming at you - you just know it sounds very mean, and is moving very fast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finding the torch in Silent Hill 2 then turing around, I nearly sh*t myself.
    Also, for some reason, walking through the library in Eternal Darkness and having books float from shelf to shelf behind me.
    A scene in Alone In The Dark, on the 3DO, where you are in a library, again, and read a book, it's actually a incantation and your character slowly floats into the air and has his neck snapped!
    Even though it's very well known and even in the box art, the bloody dogs jumping through the windows in Resi, also the big feckin' spiders that drop from the ceiling.

Sweatiest of late was battling my evil doppleganger in Metroid Prime 3, that was tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

System Shock 2, that level in the Hydrophonics bay.

The first half of Dead Space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Dead Space
    when you walk into the hydrophonics section for the first time and hear a really loud noise making you think either the glass on the plant display had smashed and a monster was rushing for you or a hull breach and you are exposed to space. In the end its just hoses watering the plants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

In the beginning of the original Unreal you walk through a very long narrow and winding underground tunnel. There are is nobody else around. At the end is a massive button which you have to press to continue so you press it.
    You turn around to start walking back to your ship and the lights in the tunnel start turning off one by one, starting with the lights furthest from you:eek:
    You have no choice but to watch the darkness get closer and closer until it is completely pitch black,thats when you hear footsteps and growling.

ctrl+alt+del,end task :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Krieg wrote: »
    Scariest: I guess Thief: Deadly Shadows - shalebridge cradle. I haven't played very many horror games

That's always the example I give when someone asks this question. That level alone just made the game for me, it sticks in my mind more than any other part. No other game has ever come close to matching the fear and tension that the Cradle level in Thief 3 did for me. I think the guy who designed that part of the game got an award for it and rightly so.

• Resident Evil 2: The room with the glass window looking into anther room. Move across to the end of the room and as you return lickers smash through the glass and freaky music comes on. Never forget it, had me ****ting it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I remember one of the underground labs in STALKER creeping me out.
    I don't think I ever finished Condemned. That bit in the swimming pool in the high school was when I decided I had enough.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Operation Flashpoint
    I know that mission your referring to Retr0gamer and yeah was it tough. Don't think it was the third mission probably the 5th or 6th one but yeah getting from woods A too woods B was a nightmare. Time and again just as I thought I was about to make it across some crack shot Russian mofo would shoot me in the back from a mile away. No matter how many Russians I checked for and killed and no matter how clear the area looked there was always one bas***d left to kill me. In the end I said to hell with this and ran the total opposite way into some small village robbed some form of old school skoda and got chased cross country by a Soviet BMP but thats how I made it to the extraction point.

Such an awesome game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Scariest? Hmmm. The first Quake game was scary and tense for me, especially some of the creatures that you fought were crazy. Those zombies are creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played Doom for the first time on the PS and what a great game it was.
    But the thing that creeped me out the most was the music, and the, what sounded like, crying children, very creepy man..

Also, Doom 3, having to swap between the feckin flashlight and your weapon, doing it at the wrong moment and finding yourself up against a horror from another dimension and instead of a pump action shotgun being reduced to bopping it over the head with a Maglight!

Fear2 is currently keeping me going, and it's not the things being done to me that's unpleasant but the other characters, very cool, reminds me of Quake 2 and the various human mincing machines left on around the place!

And as regards Quake, the zombies weren't quite so scary once you had the grenade launcher, Oh Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,244 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Actually now that I think about it, The first level in HAlo where you encounter the Flood, in the swamps.

I had just so happened to try playing that level the first time in the middle of the night, alone, with the sound way up, on Heroic (because normal is for pussies and Legendary on your first run was Stupid).
    and then you're like OH THANK CHRIST THE ELEVATOR and then it starts going the wrong way, the blood starts showing up on the wall and thats the point when you realise you aren't going to make it out alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

shooting leimrod point blank in the face with a rpg a little while ago in a game of crysis wars to find he survived and I had no ammo left.

i cried :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Zero g bits in deadspace.

Return to castle wolfenstein, the catacombs level where you can hear the germans getting slaughtered for a few mins before you find out whats slaughtering them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Oh yeah, Return to Castle Wolfenstein! I remember being down in the catacombes and being faced with a fire breathing zombie thing and thinking I'm going to need a much, much bigger gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

There was a bit in Eternal Darkness on the GC, where you went into a bathroom. The camera angle meant you couldn't see what was in the bath, until you walked over and investigated.......

I had palpatations for a while after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Operation Flashpoints third mission. You're whole squad is dead leaving you alone in the woods. You have to make your way from wooded area to wooded area while tanks and armoured cars wait outside the wooded areas, soldiers search for you in the woods and a lynx attack helicopter circles overhead ready to blow you to pieces. So other excellent bits in that game like clearing out a village of enemies and hearing tanks in the distance. Being a realistic game you don't just hang around and take them out. Nope, you leg it as fast as you can.

Yep, OP F had some heart in mouth moments.

The haunted hotel level in vampire the masquerade: bloodlines, you were jumping at everything. Also at the endgame where a bloodhunt was declared on you. You walked out the door and realized that all the streets were abandoned.....except for the many vampires waiting for you. ohshi**************** run!!

Some of the "portrait" moments in Undying.

One of my sweatiest moments was landing a plane while flying with a squadron for the first time online in IL2. I'd never landed online and everyone else had crashed out or was already landed and were waiting for me so we could change map. So all eyes were on me and I was nervous as hell. I landed it though even with the pesky tricycle undercarriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Forbidden Siren: Basically at any time at all during the game when you get caught and try to hide, jack into the Shibito's vision and watch them getting closer to you through their eyes. You could be hiding under a desk and see them comming closer to the desk through their eyes *shudder*

I found pretty much any of the Aliens or Alien Vs Predator games to be quite unnerving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How could I forget that moment in super metroid.
    You kill a boss by knocking him back into a giant pool of acid and watch as it trashes about and it's skin melts off it's skeleton. Afterwards you walk back to the wall you came in on and the screen starts shaking and the boss music starts up again and the ****ers skeleton bursts through the wall. Scared the **** out of me the first time since I had **** all health left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

While exploring train tunnels in Fallout 3 i like to sneak around slowly so that i can catch enemies off guard. Doing this usually makes me all tense and alert so on the occasion a feral ghoul comes up and attacks me from behind i get quiet a shock. I've nearly fallen out of the chair a couple of times.:D

Advertisement