Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest (and sweatiest) moments in gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Fnz wrote: »
    Is that the "drowning woman"? Swims about overhead before attacking?

'Jumpy' scaryist parts of that game are when a ghostly re-enactment of some past event suddenly *appears* without warning; usually just when the camera angle changes. Sometimes occurring as you're re-threading steps you've taken before, in an area you thought to be clear, making it all the more unexpected. Never feels like a cheap scare though, despite being 'sudden'.

I really, really enjoyed that game (Project Zero 2 over here). It just dripped 'atmosphere' - and such interesting lore to be discovered. The spirit stone radio revealed some excellent, creepy thoughts and memories.

That game failed to grab me - though I didn't give it much of a chance. Oh, and by 'stalker' do you mean 'rapist'? ;)
    No not her. The one I'm on about randomly falls from the ceiling and screams and she moves weird on her back, the first cutscene of her is when you're coming down the stairs and she passes you falling and she's pure close to your face and she crashes into the ground.
    Do you think the part where
    Sae chases you through the corridors is scary? And she tells you to open to door and let her in?
    ? My favourite ghost is the Crimson Kimono, the one that has the bell :3

Well the first one isn't a rapist, he thinks she's a big doll? I thought
    But the rest of em are like Demento's most wanted XD

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Has to be System Shock 2 for me,when you start the game and you're seeing ghosts,then you turn a corner and theres a guy hung from the ceiling-YIKES

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Silent Hill 2, Dead Space and Penumbra Overture all had moments that nearly made me piss myself :o

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I haven't played Haunting Grounds but I did check it out on YouTube quite a while ago - Must say Daniella was creepy as hell and I love her stalker theme, it's just demented.

Silent Hill 4: Overall it's not a scary game at all, however one of the many hauntings in the room gave me severe gitters. They are almost random so it was nice to see that the SH4 I experienced wasn't the same as other peoples going by Haunting compilations on YouTube. I can safely tell you that when I woke up in the room and the static started going nuts immediately, I turn around trying to figure out whats causing it - I turn around thinking it was the phone haunting again (happens after chapter 1) but notice there's something in the wardrobe - It's a shady figure of a child just LOOKING at me... There's crying going on along with the static and it gets louder and I'm standing there looking at this child shaped shadow which isn't moving. Four seconds later it lunges it's arms up at me without warning and vanishes. That freaked the **** out of me.
    Yeah I love her theme, it speeds up when she's close it's real cool.

I was scared of that part too in SH4 and I didn't think alot of it was scary, did the faces on the wall scare you that cry and then it makes a noise like my indigestion and you lose health? don't even get me started on the ending,
    the very ****ty ending

I never heard of Jericho what's it like?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was just playing Dead Space yesterday and that boss in the hydrophonics scared the **** out of me! The sound effects the game uses are amazing really creepy!

Also I finished System Shock 2 and it's brilliantly scary, Being stalked by a cyber assassin is scary as hell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

DeadSpace: Scary as hell for the first part and even though that wears off in later stages it's still tense as f00k no matter how many times I play through it. The ending gives me goosebumps every... single... time. I know what happens but... That noise... *shiver*

This gave me a fright too. I knew something had to happen, but I didn't know what; the camera work and sound made this very memorable.

Nothing in SH4 scared me really, bar the child in the wardrobe - The giant head near the end was oddly creepy but not noteworthy, really.

As for Jericho it's a fun waste of time but not my proudest purchase - Having played (and loved) Undying I assumed the fact that this was based on Clive Barkers demented idea of horror it'd mean it would be a good game but sadly it's lacking. Tries to be bigger than it really is - Here's a mini clip I made for it on YouTube (Using the boss theme from Alien Trilogy on PSX, another game worthy of mention as far as tension and the odd scare goes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuIADL4ZTOM

It's not in the least bit scary - The occasional slightly tense moment but otherwise it's just a gory shooter with a weaksauce team system that reduces you to just reviving your stupid team all the time because the AI sucks balls - Still fun, though, and it has it's moments. I think the part I mentioned in the previous post is in that above clip, actually. Liked some of the characters and the combat was fun but otherwise it's just a silly gorefest.
    Well some of those things about Jericho ticked my boxes lol. That video is the bomb, and the music, I could shake a few glowsticks
    ^D^ thanks for sharing it.
    Is there much stealth? I'm really bad at that XD

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

i think it was in Resident Evil 2 when you're in the room with the one way mirror and the licker jumps through from the other side.... :eek:

i fcuked the controller across the room and wouldn't continue playing but i wanted to find out what happened so i made my brother play while i watched :D

i don't know why i didn't finish it myself considering i survived the shock of the dogs through the window in RE1 o.0

and i know it's a stupid one, but the part in fatal frame 2 when you run down a corridor towards the camera and a rope falls from the roof. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

resident evil 1 and 2 always scared the crap outa me:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Resident Evil 2: The room with the glass window looking into anther room. Move across to the end of the room and as you return lickers smash through the glass and freaky music comes on. Never forget it, had me ****ting it.
    +1
    I still have nightmares about that! It was an interrogation room in a police station with a one-way mirror. Played through that part of the game in the early hours of the morning with the lights off..... scared the crap out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i don't know why i didn't finish it myself considering i survived the shock of the dogs through the window in RE1 o.0

Because lickers are alot scarier and do a hella lot more damage. Not to mention they can pull of your skull in one go with their tongue.

God RE5 ruined them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Krieg wrote: »
    Scariest: I guess Thief: Deadly Shadows - shalebridge cradle. I haven't played very many horror games

just watched a walkthrough for the cradle on youtube and can safely say i will never, ever be playing this game >.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Thief is a classic. My favourite bit was the Cathedral level - very nasty. The athmosphere is fantastic. You're half dead trying to get around and hoping to god one of those undead Hammers doesn't see you.

Another sweat inducing game has to be System Shock 2 - I don't know if it's been mentioned earlier in the thread. I got stuck in the cargo hold with one seriously malfunctioning pistol, three rounds and near zero health. I had just enough nanites to hack a nearby replicator but if it failed I was frankly buggered. That was a game that I nearly saved every five minutes.

Riv

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Scariest - Either seeing the dog's jumping through the window in Resident Evil 1, or some of Alma's best moments in FEAR. Like when you get in the lift, the lights start to flicker, and she appears in the corner of the lift for 1 second before the lights die. Or when walking through an office area, you go into a cubicle to listen to a phone message, and Alma charges you on all fours from under a desk. I threw my mouse off the table when that happened.

Sweatiest - For constant tension, it has to be System Shock for me. It's not got as many jumpy bits as other horror games, but it keeps the fear going throughout, thanks to its great gameplay and fantastic score. The ghosts, Xerxes talking about the Many, Shodan using the scariest voice in the history of the world to manipulate you, to the enemies that try to kill you while shouting at you to kill them. Everything about it freaked me out.

Dead Space also get honourable mention for both categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

The whole atmosphere in Dead Space was pretty creepy. Especially when played with surround sound on.

That game should come with replacement underpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners had a great tense and eerie atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Sera wrote: »
    No not her. The one I'm on about randomly falls from the ceiling and screams and she moves weird on her back, the first cutscene of her is when you're coming down the stairs and she passes you falling and she's pure close to your face and she crashes into the ground.
    Do you think the part where
    Sae chases you through the corridors is scary? And she tells you to open to door and let her in?
    ? My favourite ghost is the Crimson Kimono, the one that has the bell :3

Well the first one isn't a rapist, he thinks she's a big doll? I thought
    But the rest of em are like Demento's most wanted XD

Project Zero 2 is easily the scariest game of all time. I dont care what anyone says, that game was an absolute nightmare to play. i loved it, but it scared me so ****less at times i had to force myself to turn it off. Playing it alone, at night, in a dark room, jesus, scarier than any film ive ever seen tbh. And the 'bad' ending was just :eek: The final boss was terrifying.

0ubliette wrote: »
    Project Zero 2 is easily the scariest game of all time. I dont care what anyone says, that game was an absolute nightmare to play. i loved it, but it scared me so ****less at times i had to force myself to turn it off. Playing it alone, at night, in a dark room, jesus, scarier than any film ive ever seen tbh. And the 'bad' ending was just :eek: The final boss was terrifying.
    I'm not sure would it be the scariest, but it is almost up there. I
    cried (so no one knows it's sad ending)
    at the ending. Or do you mean the one where you try and leave before the end? I've the same hairstyle as Sae so I love her ~teehee
    Did you ever play 3? it's kinda creepy, but I'm only on chapter 4 or 5. The woman you meet at the start who's all demented, she scared me.
    Not at all - If anything it's entirely anti-stealth

Uploaded some other movies based on the game if you want a better idea about it - After I link them I'll stop talking about it to preserve the topic, even if it is a game from Clive Barker who, as people may know, is a big name in Horror.

Jericho: Nasty Cricifixion
    Jericho: Gladiator Scene
    Jericho: Failed Exorcism

There is a sequel planned and I'm hopeful it sticks more to horror than blazing guns.
    Thanks for showing me more links : D I'll watch them after I make my lunch. Thank God it's not stealthy. I'm always wary of sequels though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭briany

The extra game in Silent Hill 2 on the Xbox where you play as - well I forget her name. Anyway I was exploring the big house where it's set and I was up in the attic I think and coming back down I heard a child's voice whisper "Daddy". Lol, I jumped at that. Doom 3 on the PC after it all kicks off as well. I was pretty new to first person shooters at the time and when the first zombies came at me I think I pretty much shot everywhere but at them, needless to say I died pretty quick. Also a special mention must go to both STALKER games, those games are pretty much non stop scary, they just seem to have this constantly tense atmosphere, you never know quite when you'll be shot at or attacked by a pack of mutant dogs and the landscape is quite dank and desolate.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Let me set the scene...

Guitar Hero 2... Jordan... the billionth attempt. A solo which is so incredibly difficult on expert that it's been the ruin of many a man. I approach what is commonly reffered to as "the blue note of freedom". My mind races... Is this it?! HOLY CRAP I DID IT. I shed a tear. When I finish I'm visibly trembling. Happy days ;)

Also, most tough songs on expert drums in Rock Band will leave any man sweating... Run to the hills anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Sera wrote: »
    I'm not sure would it be the scariest, but it is almost up there. I
    cried (so no one knows it's sad ending)
    at the ending. Or do you mean the one where you try and leave before the end? I've the same hairstyle as Sae so I love her ~teehee
    Did you ever play 3? it's kinda creepy, but I'm only on chapter 4 or 5. The woman you meet at the start who's all demented, she scared me.

Thanks for showing me more links : D I'll watch them after I make my lunch. Thank God it's not stealthy. I'm always wary of sequels though

Ive attempted to finish PZ3 about 3 times now, i got really far on my first attempt but ended up getting stuck. I just couldnt figure out what to do or where to go. Came back to it a year later and attempted to finish it again but never got round to finishing it. Shame, as i loved 1 & 2. 3 was good but it took a long time to get going, the daytime sections were pretty dull
    until freaky **** started happening in them later on
    . Amazing games tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

i'm guessing none of you have played 'Penumbra: Black Plague', otherwise it definitely would've been mentioned, part 2 in a trilogy - it is ****ing terrifying, made all the more so seeing as you have no weapons to face the hideous monsters with, unlike in the first game 'Penumbra Overture' and builds up an awesome atmosphere. well worth a look at lads, and available on Steam.
    oh, and you've to play in an empty house at 3am with all the lights off.

Aliens vs Predator 2 single player as Marine was also awesome, the motion tracker just makes you **** yourself

Doom 3 is also great, but you get used to the cheap scares of "pick up gun on floor, panel flies open, demon with eyes filled with the fires of hell attacks"
    but the fact you cant use the flashlight at the same time as a gun was fantastic

FEAR had some cheap thrills

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i'm guessing none of you have played 'Penumbra: Black Plague', otherwise it definitely would've been mentioned, part 2 in a trilogy - it is ****ing terrifying, made all the more so seeing as you have no weapons to face the hideous monsters with, unlike in the first game 'Penumbra Overture' and builds up an awesome atmosphere. well worth a look at lads, and available on Steam.
    oh, and you've to play in an empty house at 3am with all the lights off.

You obviously didnt see my post :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Menefail coming up huge as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Shalebridge Cradle was pretty ****ed up. I need to go play that game again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The mannequins in Condemned. That's the only gaming moment where I just went 'Oh no. No no no, this is just wrong'.

Buh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Alien Resurrection on PS1 - The motion sensor beeping quicker, shapes coming alive on a distant wall or ceiling and rapidly moving to your location, impending death!

Thief / The Cradle - Nuff said

FEAR - Any time you see that little girl, especially where your in an air vent and she appears at the other end scuttling towards you............:eek:

The Thing - Youve found a survivor and given him some medkits and a shotgun and ammo. Hes by your side for a level or 2 and your in the thick of it blowing away monsters. Then when your back is turned, he mutates into one himself and trys to eat your face!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

You obviously didnt see my post :mad:

you only mentioned Overture which wasnt nearly as good :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Prey - the bit with the schoolbus had me saying out loud 'oh shit!' because I knew what was coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

For pure shock value it has to be Civ 2. I am playing, look at my clock and its 8pm. I figure I have been playing it for about 3 hours, I will just another 10 minutes and then give it a break for the evening. I play what feels like 10 minutes, look at the clock and its now 3am....that shocks me everytime.

I would say recently sections of dead space kinda scared me a bit.

Advertisement