Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random/General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

ziedth wrote: »
    Isn't there a rule of thumb that you have to be able to stick a thick coin in it or something?

yeah, i have a vague memory of something along those lines.
    the thing is i know if i go to any garage and ask, that they'll just tell me i need 4 new tyres and suddenly i'll feel a couple of hundred euro lighter

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

longshanks wrote: »
    how do you know when its time to change the tyres on your car? is there a minimum thread depth or something?

Yup. 1.6mm IIRC. I think the coin trick is if you put a coint in the thread and you can see the bottom of the coin, the tyre needs to be changed. Bit sketchy on that though. I believe you can fail the NCT and get a fine if found by a Guarda (very rarely check). Motors forum is your best bet.

http://www.globaltyres.ie/pdfs/Tyres_can_Kill.pdf

Also, check the tyre pressure on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

There's an indicator strip that shows when tyres are worn, well there is on my tyres and I wouldn't have known only for the tyre fitter showed me when I was replacing them.

I'm a hoarder, I've still got my 80's and 90's "fashion" if you can call it that.

Anyway I started clearing out stuff today and found at least 1000 books but best of all my wedding video which I haven't watched in years.

We'll be 19 years married next Monday, would I be mean to make hubby sit and watch it next Monday? ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

deisemum wrote: »
    We'll be 19 years married next Monday, would I be mean to make hubby sit and watch it next Monday? ;)

Congrats :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

how do you know when its time to change the tyres on your car? is there a minimum thread depth or something?
    Hi longshanks, you can buy a tyre thread depth gauge in most car accessorie shops (Deeveys, halfords). They are really handy. They shouldn't cost more than €5. Some tyre places even have free keyring type ones if you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Isn't there a rule of thumb that you have to be able to stick a thick coin in it or something?

there used to be alright, it was in relation to the groves on and old ten pence piece iirc..

best of getting a gauge from a motor factors, handy to have in the car..

one piece of advice, never go cheap on tyres and get them inspected regularly and changed when needed, even though it is 1.6mm legal depth, I never allow tyre to go below 2mm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

ok thanks people, and sully. thats the tyres question sorted.
    now answer me this, what did people do before toothpaste and tootbrushes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 love2swim

is it just me - or is today the QUIETIST day ever in Waterford???

the phone ain't ringing, I got zero emails, the dogs aren't barking - it's too darn quiet...

ok thanks people, and sully. thats the tyres question sorted.
    now answer me this, what did people do before toothpaste and tootbrushes?

Long ago people didn't eat as much sugary, refined food as what's available nowadays. Their food contained more roughage.

They used to chew twigs, for toothpaste some people used soot, others a paste of eggshells, pumice and ashes.

Just imagine french kissing back them :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

what did people do before toothpaste and tootbrushes?

Ha ha good one,

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Ah it's a lovely day today, Makes the city centre all shiney.

Bad news though, Think I'm going to be an employment statistic this time two weeks. at least I'll get more time to annoy everyone on Boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Bad news though, Think I'm going to be an employment statistic this time two weeks. at least I'll get more time to annoy everyone on Boards :D

sory to hear that dude....

it is a lovely day.... think me and heathen need to do a mcflurry run and watch all the shiney things in the city later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Sorry to hear that Ziedth. There's lots of us in Waterford already in that ever-expanding club, it sucks. On the upside though, it does give you a lot of free time to enjoy (even if you have no cash to do so with :p)

On a completely unrelated note, anyone pass by the cops loading a car onto a towtruck on the main road outside those blocks of apartments opposite the hospital about an hour ago? Wonder what happened - was it a breakdown, or siezure of car, or what.... (me being the nosy parker that I am).

echosound wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Ziedth.
    robtri wrote: »
    sory to hear that dude....

Cheers lads, Might have something else lined up not management now but sure I think most of us dole goers would take anything at this stage.

Did Anyone notice there is NOTHING out there jobs wise? I mean granted I haven't had to look for say 14 months buts there is really nothing doing out there.

I hope it works out Zeidth.

My hubby is self-employed like myself and his work is very quiet at the moment, he's considering going back to London for work. His friend in London has work for him from June onwards if things don't improve here.

I hope it works out Zeidth.

My hubby is self-employed like myself and his work is very quiet at the moment, he's considering going back to London for work. His friend in London has work for him from June onwards if things don't improve here.

Cheers, I know I'm tempted to look further out myself but just so settled its hard to know what to do. Hope it works out for him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Apparently Abbott in Clonmel are one of the only companies around here that are taking people on. And possibly Boston Scientific up there too. It's a bit of a trek every day but I'd say people would happily do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Anyone hear that annoying repetitive ad on the radio for XtraVision
    "1 euro 1 movie 1 night"
    "How much is that?"
    (x3)

It's like Deja Vu...in a way....I remember renting a video tape for 1 pound a night back in the good oul days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jackdrel

know the add and its grinding :mad::mad: but there is another add at the moment that has a woman running around after pigs which is crazy ..

• Advertisement

speaking of annoying adds i would happily serve life in prison for punishing those responsible of the "i want to do a poo in pauls bathroom" add.

Anyone doing anything for the weekend? Looking like i going to a random session.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Guys, anyone else have the same problem or is it just me? I go to Harveys every saturday night and in the last two months I've managed to lose 5 jackets in the smoking area. Granted i do get pissed. so much soo, i woke up this morning with only one leg in my jeans and me lyin on the sofa, I obviously made an attempt to get to bed. Back to the mystery, but is anyone else experiencing losing jackets there?

The place is too big and because Im so drunk, I end up losing my mates because i'm probably throwing shapes on the dance floor or downing baby guiness's. I have to cut down methinks because I wouldn't mind the damn jackets weren't cheap. I had to see if I could find the t-shrit i was wearing this morning and panicked thinking I took that off as well. I'm bad enough as it is. Trying to get the jackets back is fruitless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jackdrel

dont know about waterford night clubs but i worked in a second hand shop in kilkenny city and the nightclubs would bring clothes they would find down to us so we could sell them on ,,, we got some good brand names

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sounds if you should just pay the €2 for the cloakroom. Would have saved you a bit of money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cill Chainnigh

€3 for cloakroom in Harveys - extortion - everything about Harveys is expensive - why do we always go there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Because there's nothing in the way of a decent alternative. I wish Ruby lounge was bigger. €3 for coat is crazy though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Because there's nothing in the way of a decent alternative. I wish Ruby lounge was bigger. €3 for coat is crazy though

It's extortionate alright. I remember going to Breens / The Bridge in the early 90s and paying 30p to put the coat in. Gasps of horror when they increased it to 50p.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Blaalarry

On the river today FRI. Two beautiful sailing ships - wonderful sight, should be there still today if you go down early. Wonder who owns the boat on the marina called JUMPIN' JACK FLASH?? Now i bet he's a gas!!

This evening I found out some very good news about my 11 year old son and I'm dying to tell him but cannot so that I don't ruin the occasion for him.

He's won player of the year on his soccer team and the awards night is next Friday. The coaches don't normally disclose the winners in advance but I was told so that he'd definitely be present on the night.

He's mad into sport so will be delighted when he's called out next week.

• Advertisement

This evening I found out some very good news about my 11 year old son and I'm dying to tell him but cannot so that I don't ruin the occasion for him.

He's won player of the year on his soccer team and the awards night is next Friday. The coaches don't normally disclose the winners in advance but I was told so that he'd definitely be present on the night.

He's mad into sport so will be delighted when he's called out next week.

Congrats :) Hope you have a good night and best of luck keeping secret!

Advertisement