Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random/General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've ended up doing something I've never done before and it was a very unusual experience for me. I'm having a cup of tea to get over it.

I went out to feed my hens this evening and one of them looked uncomfortable trying to walk so I carried her to the moveable hen run and then noticed her rear end/vent and it was not a pretty sight. The poor thing is egg bound so I had to google how to treat it or she could die within 48 hours.

I had to get the pet carrier and line it with paper and wood shavings, get a basin and fill it with warm water, get old towels, kitchen roll, olive oil and change clothes expecting to get a drenching when I submerged the hen's lower half in the warm water.

I did as instructed and had her in it for 30 mins and she was so docile and didn't even flap her wings, she nodded off but I reckon she was too uncomfortable to put up any resistance. When I dried her off her vent was still oozing and she tried straining and I thought she was going to have a prolapse. I put some olive oil around it, I wasn't brave enough to go further in. :eek:

I put her in the pet carrier and put her in the body of the hen house but left the door of the pet carrier open so she could access the bowl of water in front of it. I hope she's a bit better tomorrow and I'll have to do it a few more times if she pulls through. I don't really fancy culling her just yet but my husband has told me I'll be the one doing it since I'm an experienced cockchoker though that was nearly 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

deisemum wrote: »
    I've ended up doing something I've never done before and it was a very unusual experience for me. I'm having a cup of tea to get over it.

I went out to feed my hens this evening and one of them looked uncomfortable trying to walk so I carried her to the moveable hen run and then noticed her rear end/vent and it was not a pretty sight. The poor thing is egg bound so I had to google how to treat it or she could die within 48 hours.

I had to get the pet carrier and line it with paper and wood shavings, get a basin and fill it with warm water, get old towels, kitchen roll, olive oil and change clothes expecting to get a drenching when I submerged the hen's lower half in the warm water.

I did as instructed and had her in it for 30 mins and she was so docile and didn't even flap her wings, she nodded off but I reckon she was too uncomfortable to put up any resistance. When I dried her off her vent was still oozing and she tried straining and I thought she was going to have a prolapse. I put some olive oil around it, I wasn't brave enough to go further in. :eek:

I put her in the pet carrier and put her in the body of the hen house but left the door of the pet carrier open so she could access the bowl of water in front of it. I hope she's a bit better tomorrow and I'll have to do it a few more times if she pulls through. I don't really fancy culling her just yet but my husband has told me I'll be the one doing it since I'm an experienced cockchoker though that was nearly 30 years ago.
    I know this a a random chat thread deisemum but Jesus! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

....since I'm an experienced cockchoker.....

:D
    I had two boiled eggs for breakfast....i nearly brought them both back up laughing....:D

Did you take money for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

A visit to the vet and a needle of oxytocin should do the job if you'd prefer to keep her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Yeah, the vet is your best option, for the sake of the bird.

I'd recommend City Vets over the Pet Hosital in this case. I've brought birds into Tadhg before, and he admitted that he has very little experience with birds.

• Advertisement

Well my hen is much better, she's walking around much easier and is eating and drinking. She's just after spending another 30 mins in warm water and her vent is back to it's normal colour and not red and swollen and her stomach isn't distended.

I've taken a young cock to see Tadhg before.

Now that's my random chat of the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

well, if you haven't done so already it's worth stepping out back and catching a gawk at the super moon tonight being the day that's in it :)

Just watching it now. Just read it's 14% bigger than the average full moon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tis all clouded over here in Tramore anyway. I'm looking out the window and just a little to my right I can just about see it shining through the cloud cover! If ya haven't, pop onto Waterford Weather on Facebook. They have a great photograph up of the moon!

https://www.facebook.com/waterfordweather

My husband and myself were walking through John Roberts Square this afternoon, just before 2.30pm and there were a number of Roma gypsies sitting and standing around and nearby there was a row going on with one man shouting "I don't care, they shouldn't be allowed into this country". We just kept going and didn't wait round to see what happened.

Not pleasant to see or hear especially with all the children around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

^^^^^^^^^^^
    The group of Roma tried to steal his dog by distracting him a Roma girl about 14 yrs was the main culprit.The man is widowed and the dog is the only company he has.It was a friend of his who was doing the shouting and not the dog owner as he was shaken by the ordeal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I really fancy a crack at that Mega Burger challenge below in revolution. A fellow boardsie who shall remain nameless went down in flames and it's been on my mind. 3 half pounders with coleslaw & chips in 25min.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

ziedth wrote: »
    I really fancy a crack at that Mega Burger challenge below in revolution. A fellow boardsie who shall remain nameless went down in flames and it's been on my mind. 3 half pounders with coleslaw & chips in 25min.
    NAME AND SHAME

NAME AND SHAME

Check out the Wall of Shame photos on it's facebook page ;)

More photos further down the page too, some look like they'll puke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Theres feckin' plenty left on that plate!

4 people have managed to pass it so far and 1 even asked for ice cream :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Theres feckin' plenty left on that plate!

He's a photogenic old creature in fairness......

Edit: we should have a prize for the first boardsie to finish it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Hey lads, ye should give an aul' vote for Waterford here... we're up against Kilkenny and Wexford to host the Matt Cooper Show on Today FM for a week. While doing the show he'll be basically advertising the place he's broadcasting from, might be no harm for the place to get a bit of a free plug nationally.

Here's the link

Get voting, here's what the vote looks like so far...

Screen_Shot_2012_06_24_at_162924.png

Here's the way the vote is now... keep voting! :)

Screen_Shot_2012_06_25_at_094145.png

Voting is open until Thursday iirc, one vote per day!

Wexford are way ahead now on 109 votes

• Advertisement

Wexford are way ahead now on 109 votes

Oh my days! Look at the voting now!! :eek: I think a new thread is needed! Yay or nay?

Screen_Shot_2012_06_25_at_142911.png

Not sure why I want this more now a) I'm a proud Waterfordian or b) All my family is from Wexford and I don't want them to win!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

yay...get it out there JT

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Check out the Wall of Shame photos on it's facebook page ;)

More photos further down the page too, some look like they'll puke

Jesus, most of those challengers look like they could do with cutting down on the burgers, never mind doing eating challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 granny b

Im hope you could help me here I stayed in waterford in 1971 we where sent from belfast because of the troubles and i remember staying in a big army place im just hoping that someone would have any idea about the place not much info to go on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

granny b wrote: »
    Im hope you could help me here I stayed in waterford in 1971 we where sent from belfast because of the troubles and i remember staying in a big army place im just hoping that someone would have any idea about the place not much info to go on
    That would be the Millitary Barracks on Barrack St, it is now a small housing estate but it has kept the original arch that used to lead into the barrack square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 granny b

thanks for that info i was always hoping to go back
    i was ten at the time but rember it well.. there were nuns who brought us to the beach
    and were very kind to us its a big part of my childhood memories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

granny b wrote: »
    thanks for that info i was always hoping to go back
    i was ten at the time but rember it well.. there were nuns who brought us to the beach
    and were very kind to us its a big part of my childhood memories

Im glad I could tell you something as I lived very near at the time and used to see the children heading off and I wasn't too much older. You were possibly one of them,i'm glad you have fond memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

General Q. How do you go about finding out if a house is council owned or private landlord? :/

So a little cousin of mine is hitting town friday night for the first time and I'd imagine going to try get into the foundry and I realise at 16 there are people out there drinking in pubs that weren't even alive when independence day was released. It has made me feel very very old :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

General Q. How do you go about finding out if a house is council owned or private landlord? :/

Go to the land registry office on the cork road give them the address and they should be able to help you out.

Advertisement