Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being an Atheist in Ireland is a Cnut

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

On a point about Atheists in Ireland did you see this part of our constitution:

The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law.

We better start being more careful about our blasphemy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, but what does the law say should be a fitting punishment for such crimes?

if its just having a nun tickle your nads with a feather boa then i don't see a problem, but if it's something really nasty like being forced to watch songs of praise on a loop 24/7 for 10 years then just shoot me now.

vibe666 wrote: »

if its just having a nun tickle your nads with a feather boa then i don't see a problem, but if it's something really nasty like being forced to watch songs of praise on a loop 24/7 for 10 years then just shoot me now.

I'd imagine crucification ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

vibe666 wrote: »

Excommunication from teh church! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Galvasean wrote: »
    Excommunication from teh church! :eek:
    i think my total lack of communication with any kind of church already precludes me from that or at the very least would negate any effect it would have had otherwise.

now wheres that feather boa? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

My mam is up in my house for the weekend and it being Sunday morning, she tried to make me go to mass with her. I refused, using the old "but I'm an Atheist" reasoning to broach the subject. So off she went, noticeably indifferent to my proclamation of faithlessness.

She returned an hour later with some of her friends for tea and a Chocolate Kimberley in my kitchen. I went in to feed the dog and mam said to her friends "he says he's an Atheist, so he wouldn't go to mass with me". The other women laughed, and basically dismissed that such a thing existed.

I tried my best to explain my position on the whole religion thing, and even quoted Darwin. It had little effect on them.

One of the women is a real Jesus freak, and part of the parish brigade. She looked visibly shocked at what I was saying and didn't even crack a smile.

Do any of you experience such rejection of your views by family or friends?

It wouldn't kill you to go with her, it is only half an hour.

I was raised Catholic, I dont practice anymore, but my family do. I dont attend mass but the more time I send away from home, the more grateful I am to be able to do things with them when I get home. And it feels nice to do something they enjoy and value for a change.

There are bigger problems

efla wrote: »

I was raised Catholic, I dont practice anymore, but my family do. I dont attend mass but the more time I send away from home, the more grateful I am to be able to do things with them when I get home. And it feels nice to do something they enjoy and value for a change.

Or she could have stayed home and played ludo with him. After all she was visiting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Did someone actually just drag this thread up from the Dead!!!!

It's a Jesus thread people!!!!!

God 1 - Heathen bastards 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Since when has quoting Darwin being a reason to be atheist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

efla wrote: »

WTF? It wouldn't kill you christians to STFU and leave everyone else the fcuk alone... he doesn't want to go, why should he go? If anything why didn't she make him happy and stay at home? Eh? Would you go to another religions mass thingy to please them? Say they are family members or mates? Doubtful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Min wrote: »
    Since when has quoting Darwin being a reason to be atheist?

Nobody in this whole thread has said that "quoting Darwin is a reason to be an athiest" as that does not make any sence. He quoted darwin to try prove his point to the ignorant b!tches (not your mother OP, the other women).

WTF? It wouldn't kill you christians to STFU and leave everyone else the fcuk alone... he doesn't want to go, why should he go? If anything why didn't she make him happy and stay at home? Eh? Would you go to another religions mass thingy to please them? Say they are family members or mates? Doubtful.

Why not go if invited to the religious practice of someone else, it would be a bit closed minded to just say no without using your God given brain.

Nobody in this whole thread has said that "quoting Darwin is a reason to be an athiest" as that does not make any sence. He quoted darwin to try prove his point to the ignorant b!tches (not your mother OP, the other women).

quoting what from Darwin?

You don't know the people to call them ignorant bitches. You call that that for having a different opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Why not go if invited to the religious practice of someone else, it would be a bit closed minded to just say no without using your God given brain.

But if the op is an atheist the op doesnt have a "God given brain". the op has a brain. And as an adult the op has the choice to say no. You are basically saying that the OP should respect their mothers beliefs but its ok their mother doesnt respect theirs. So it is you actually being close minded in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

They sound like ignorant and stupid dinosaur biddies to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I assume then you have problem with going to a scientology ceremony when invited?

But if the op is an atheist the op doesnt have a "God given brain". the op has a brain. And as an adult the op has the choice to say no. You are basically saying that the OP should respect their mothers beliefs but its ok their mother doesnt respect theirs. So it is you actually being close minded in this case.

But maybe the OP didn't show respect in the first place by saying no and doing it for his mother.
    Didn't give respect and then in the process got back what he gave.

Didn't use his God given brain........

Malty_T wrote: »
    I assume then you have problem with going to a scientology ceremony?

No, if I could observe and not sign up.

I see Katie Holmes is raising her child as a Catholic like her parents want according to the papers......despite the father being number 2 in the scientologist movement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

I'm lucky enough that my whole family are atheists, never had to do any convincing or arguing about religion. Which actually is a bit sh1te, I feel unfulfilled by my teenage years having never argued with them about...well, anything. The forward thinking wankers!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No, if I could observe and not sign up.

I see Katie Holmes is raising her child as a Catholic like her parents want according to the papers......despite the father being number 2 in the scientologist movement

Ok, so you'd gladly go every week to it?
    Oh and I'm also enrolling you in Islam, Judaism and Mormon too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement