Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being an Atheist in Ireland is a Cnut

Options
  • 05-04-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭

My mam is up in my house for the weekend and it being Sunday morning, she tried to make me go to mass with her. I refused, using the old "but I'm an Atheist" reasoning to broach the subject. So off she went, noticeably indifferent to my proclamation of faithlessness.

She returned an hour later with some of her friends for tea and a Chocolate Kimberley in my kitchen. I went in to feed the dog and mam said to her friends "he says he's an Atheist, so he wouldn't go to mass with me". The other women laughed, and basically dismissed that such a thing existed.

I tried my best to explain my position on the whole religion thing, and even quoted Darwin. It had little effect on them.

One of the women is a real Jesus freak, and part of the parish brigade. She looked visibly shocked at what I was saying and didn't even crack a smile.

Do any of you experience such rejection of your views by family or friends?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Don't mind them, they're retards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Who cares, you know your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I remember on the last census, i ticked Atheist or whatever the equivalant was in the Religion question. My mother told me a few days later she changed it to Roman Catholic afterwards :eek: I was like wtf, my family aren't even that religious!

At the moment, yes the elders in society seem to still hold onto the religious ethos of Ireland but give it a few years and it will all change. Hopefully the Catholic church and every other religious order for that matter, fades away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

You should have told those filthy catholics to get the place-that-doesn't-exist out of your house with their beliefs and such!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

My mam is up in my house for the weekend and it being Sunday morning, she tried to make me go to mass with her. I refused, using the old "but I'm an Atheist" reasoning to broach the subject. So off she went, noticeably indifferent to my proclamation of faithlessness.

She returned an hour later with some of her friends for tea and a Chocolate Kimberley in my kitchen. I went in to feed the dog and mam said to her friends "he says he's an Atheist, so he wouldn't go to mass with me". The other women laughed, and basically dismissed that such a thing existed.

I tried my best to explain my position on the whole religion thing, and even quoted Darwin. It had little effect on them.

One of the women is a real Jesus freak, and part of the parish brigade. She looked visibly shocked at what I was saying and didn't even crack a smile.

You.. even quoted Darwin and they didn't understand? Heartless freaks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

there's an atheist forum for this stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Do you know what really cracks me up? The f**kin "immaculate conception". WTF! It sounds like something Mary made up on the spot to Joseph, as a bare arsed sandal salesman legs it out the back window..Oh yeah, it probably was.

ATHEIST and proud

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The saddest thing about all of this is you quoting Darwin to your mother and her friends. Its a different generation, with different values and from a time in Irish history where it wasn't OK to logically think these things through.

I'm the same, still get asked to go to mass when I'm at home. Its such a joke and I'm always feeling guilty about it even though I know its a pack of superstitious old nonsense. Can't tell your folks that though! They believe it so let them be in ignorant bliss - there's a lot to be said for being in ignorant bliss!

there's an atheist forum for this stuff...

OP probably doesn't believe in using that forum.

Denerick wrote: »
    I'm the same, still get asked to go to mass when I'm at home. Its such a joke and I'm always feeling guilty about it

See, you still have a bith of catholic left in you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

zeppe wrote: »
    Do you know what really cracks me up? The f**kin "immaculate conception". WTF! It sounds like something Mary made up on the spot to Joseph, as a bare arsed sandal salesman legs it out the back window..Oh yeah, it probably was.

ATHEIST and proud

Was it not Mary that was concieved in the immaculate conception? Born without original sin so god could slip it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I think it's all just books and ideas.

I've yet to find any concrete evidence that there even is a Darwin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

ATHEIST and proud

The Immaculate Conception refers to when Mary was concieved, not when Jesus was concieved.

Dolorous wrote: »
    The Immaculate Conception refers to when Mary was concieved, not when Jesus was concieved.

Exactly. Jesus was concieved when the first of the Gospels was written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    Exactly. Jesus was concieved when the first of the Gospels was written.

So was yor... never mind

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

The Immaculate Conception refers to when Mary was concieved, not when Jesus was concieved

I'm probably wrong(memory of religion class a bit hazy) but wasnt the Immaculate Conception when the angel Gabriel visited Mary and said you have a baby coming who would be the son of God?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm probably wrong(memory of religion class a bit hazy) but wasnt the Immaculate Conception when the angel Gabriel visited Mary and said you have a baby coming who would be the son of God?
    I'm probably wrong though and if so I stand corrected.

No.

It's when Mary was born without original sin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Who cares
    My gmother is probably the same and asks each week will I go to mass
    don't bother arguing or explaining your position, they're not going to listen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I've been pontificated to be atheists many times more than I have been by theists.

I worked with an agnostic once who would bitch about atheists all day, he found them far more self righteous than any theist he'd met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP I'd be more concerned about them eating all your chocolate Kimberley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The good news is they'll all be dead soon enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

I just can't wait to arrive in atheist heaven. It's an amazing place. With no sheriff (God), it is far more wild-west than goody-two-shoe religious heaven. Plus, the canteen is apparently outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This thread is thtupid... Get a blog, nobody cares about your life...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

OP do you mind me asking what age you are?

you will find as you get older people won't care what faith you practice or what you like to do on a saturday night. I know many people and couldn't tell you if they belive in God or not...because no-one really cares.

I do agree there is nothing worse than someone harping on about their beliefs, this includes all people.

I would not call someone with strong beliefs a retard only that they are stuck in their ways just ensure you don't fall into the same trap by rubbishing people with a different way of thinking/living to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Dolorous wrote: »

Ignorance is bliss for atheists. All their beliefs are based on half baked ideas with no evidence to back them up. I really can't stand the smug self righteousness of atheists trying to force their beliefs on everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ignorance is bliss for atheists. All their beliefs are based on half baked ideas with no evidence to back them up. I really can't stand the smug self righteousness of atheists trying to force their beliefs on everyone.
    You have got to be taking the piss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

You have got to be taking the piss?

you are if you're trying to dispute anything in my post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What I find objectionable is certain atheists acting all self satisfied in a "that showed them" kind of manner - it's not rebellious or shocking to be an atheist. Ditto people who attack the catholic church. If you think the above is sockin' it to the system, you are 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I was in town yesterday with two friends, and these two preachers came up to us, both in about their fifties, carrying their bibles and holy Mary chains and all this ****e. Starting asking us questions about do we pray and God is great and all this. Said to my friend: "Do you believe?" to which my friend replied "No, sorry, I'm atheist." Completely ignoring what he said she goes on about prayer and how lovely and dandy it is and God will save him or something.
    Then she started on me, explaining to me that prayer stops people commiting suicide and people who pray have less psychiatric problems. So predictable was she that I started guessing her next words, which I don't think she was best pleased at :pac:
    Eventually, they fúcked off. I was well pleased with myself for being such a sarcastic cúnt. Had to refuse the things they were trying to hand out three times aswel.

Dangerous people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement