Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placebo - Battle for the Sun

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Was debating getting a ticket for one of the gigs on this tour but looking at setlists I'm glad I didn't.

Old school Placebo ftw!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

gig was mind blowing mind you, they were int op form and chuffed with the crowd and they remember what happened 9 years ago when ppl got up on the top floor and the roof fell a bit, lol.

BUT SERIOUSLY.

1. Ion
    2. Scared Of Girls
    3. Brick ****house
    4. Allergic (To Thoughts Of Mother Earth)
    5. You Don't Care About Us
    6. Bionic
    7. 36 Degrees
    8. Without You I'm Nothing
    9. My Sweet Prince
    10. Every You Every Me
    11. Bruise Pristine
    12. The Crawl
    13. Lady Of The Flowers
    14. Nancy Boy

Encore

15. Pure Morning
    17. Slackerbitch
    18. Teenage Angst (piano version)
    19. Evil Dildo

Now that's a quality setlist. I'd fcuking love to see them play a gig like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I thought they were unbelivable last night, the energy from the band was unreal! I really think that the new drummer has put alot of life into the band and has giving them a good kick up the arse!

Stef was great last night too, such a crowd pleaser!

So sickened there was no bitter end or special k.

Love the new song trigger happy.

P.S can someone post the full set list they played last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭L.T.D

What did he say exactly about the last time they played the Olympia and the roof falling in? I was at that gig :D

Going tonight, can't wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

S.M.B. wrote: »
    1. Ion
    2. Scared Of Girls
    3. Brick ****house
    4. Allergic (To Thoughts Of Mother Earth)
    5. You Don't Care About Us
    6. Bionic
    7. 36 Degrees
    8. Without You I'm Nothing
    9. My Sweet Prince
    10. Every You Every Me
    11. Bruise Pristine
    12. The Crawl
    13. Lady Of The Flowers
    14. Nancy Boy

Encore

15. Pure Morning
    17. Slackerbitch
    18. Teenage Angst (piano version)
    19. Evil Dildo

Now that's a quality setlist. I'd fcuking love to see them play a gig like that again.

Ye but come on, this isnt 1998.
    Placebo of 2009 is a complete different kettle of fish and the set reflects this. They havent been playing stuff of placebo since the SWG tour...with the exception of the odd bionic or 36 degrees.

Hoping they play bitter end and special K tonight as i thought that was so good im going again :-)

Personally i think the stuff from battle for the sun is far better that anything since BMM but i hate for what its worth and Ashtray heart with a passion!

battle for the son does not compare to meds or sleeping with ghosts or the bitter end or loads of other tracks

anyway was in bed, just got woken up to meds, sounds amazing, cudnt go again was wrecked.
    prob wont see these now forever.

9 years !!!!!

Got a last minute ticket, was surprised at how many songs I knew.

Have to say, looked like a band on top of their game. Really enjoyed it

Support band were cool too. All in all a great night. Probably the most sober Ive ever been at a gig too.

Gonna try get some Placebo in my chrimbo stockings this year

Ye but come on, this isnt 1998.
    Placebo of 2009 is a complete different kettle of fish and the set reflects this. They havent been playing stuff of placebo since the SWG tour...with the exception of the odd bionic or 36 degrees.

Hoping they play bitter end and special K tonight as i thought that was so good im going again :-)

Personally i think the stuff from battle for the sun is far better that anything since BMM but i hate for what its worth and Ashtray heart with a passion!
    I wouldn't actually expect them to come out with a set list like this. I'd say they haven't played Nancy Boy in years.

The Placebo I'd want to see live again is the 1998 version though, more specifically, the 13th Feb 1999 version.

Actually, seeing as I mentioned Slackerbitch up above, what's the quality of Placebo's b-sides like these days? I always thought they were of an extremely high standard back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Anyone got a setlist?

Cross-posted from the thread in gigs & events:

Seeing as they haven't bothered to play a non-festival gig here in almost 10 years, would it have hurt to play for a little longer, or play some more of their back-catalogue? I wasn't too impressed with that side of it, I have to say.

Otherwise, the songs from BftS sound good live, but not much different from on the album. I'd give it a 7/10, but then, I have no prior comparison [unless you count the Soulmates DVD, which...doesn't count].

Hilarious mix of people in the audience, though. To one side, lesbians mawling each other aggressively and thin, androgynous gay men; on the other, moshing/jumping brodudes.

• Advertisement

Havent got a setlist, but in rough order i think it went:

FWIW
    Ashtray heart
    Battle for the Sun
    Soulmates
    Follow the Cops
    Speak in Tounges
    EYEM
    Never ending why
    Breathe Underwater
    Devil in Details
    Special Needs
    Meds
    Julien
    Blind
    Song to say goodbye

Bright Lights
    Trigger Happy
    Infra Red
    TIM

Did any of you see the Angkor Watt DVD they advertised on the screen? Its really good...nearly as good as Teenage Angst used to be on the piano back in the day:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

was at Olympia on 16th, what a wonderful performance!
    I'd say Placebo is back on track!

thank you Brian for not giving up and still making some excellent music!

not too happy with bitter end kerrang fan kids, i know its bad to say but they were well annoying.
    I dropped down around 12 second day off the gig to catch a glimpse of them leaving, there was a good few ppl waiting for hours but they escaped the back way.
    was talking to few ppl from wales, cant believe they traveled all the way !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

such a joke...they had 4 extra guitar players and 1 or two keyboard players on stage? wtf?...such a cop out, really contrived having session musicians play your songs for you.....some moments but....not a patch on the last show....

such a joke...they had 4 extra guitar players and 1 or two keyboard players on stage? wtf?...such a cop out, really contrived having session musicians play your songs for you.....some moments but....not a patch on the last show....

They didnt have 4 extra guitar players, they had Bill Lloyd who is playing with Placebo since 1999 and that other guy on the guitar. Then they had Fiona play the violin/keyboard...i thought they made a huge difference to the sound. The violin was amazing during Julien etc
    Brian played guitar the whole way through...back in the day he played some songs with and some songs without the guitar? dot really get what you mean when you say its a cop out, they can only play one instrument at a time!

Nothing will ever touch the gig in 2000 though...
    Black Eyed
    Days before you came
    Scared of Girls
    Allergic
    36 degrees
    Bionic
    Passive Aggressive
    Without you im nothing
    My Sweet prince
    Commercial for Levi
    Every you
    Special K
    Slave to the wage
    Teenage angst (slow)
    Peeping Tom

Taste in men
    nancy Boy
    Pure Morning

They didnt have 4 extra guitar players, they had Bill Lloyd who is playing with Placebo since 1999 and that other guy on the guitar. Then they had Fiona play the violin/keyboard...i thought they made a huge difference to the sound. The violin was amazing during Julien etc
    Brian played guitar the whole way through...back in the day he played some songs with and some songs without the guitar? dot really get what you mean when you say its a cop out, they can only play one instrument at a time!

Black Eyed
    Days before you came
    Scared of Girls
    Allergic
    36 degrees
    Bionic
    Passive Aggressive
    Without you im nothing
    My Sweet prince
    Commercial for Levi
    Every you
    Special K
    Slave to the wage
    Teenage angst (slow)
    Peeping Tom

Taste in men
    nancy Boy
    Pure Morning
    Still think the 1999 setlist is better although I'd take Black Eyed instead of The Crawl.

lets just quickly reviews classics

Teenage Angst
    36 Degrees
    Nancy Boy
    Bruise Pristine
    Pure Morning
    Brick****house
    Without You I'm Nothing
    Every You Every Me
    Scared of Girls
    Taste In Men
    Days Before You Came
    Special K
    Bullet Proof Cupid
    English Summer Rain
    Bitter End
    Sleeping with ghosts
    Special Needs
    Meds
    Drag
    Post Blue
    Blind
    Song to Say Goodbye

I remember during 00 when they came here, they played mostly from BMM and its fare they play all their new stuff this time around too but seriously playing something like Follow the cops back home over the above is annoying

Im not too impressed by the new album, if it wasnt for their old stuff dont think many people would give it a second listen.

Bionic & Allergic (To Thoughts of Mother Earth) are also songs that I was quite impartial to until I heard it live.

And Lady of the Flowers is still one of my favourite Placebo songs.

i was on a bit of a Placebo buzz last night and listened to My Sweet Prince live at Hurricane, centrefolds in paris, the slow Teenage angst, the slow 36 degrees...unreal stuff.

But to be honest, id put Battle for the Sun up there ahead of SWG and Meds. SWG has some of their best tunes, but lots of crap filler to...
    Meds for me was my least favourite, had its moments but i personally thought that with that album it was the end of Placebo. Then i seen them live a couple of times during that tour and you could tell they just werent into it anymore...they didnt seem to be enjoying it at all. I think this was probably Steve Hewitt related.

Then i listened to Battle and loved it, they seem regenerated and seem to be enjoying playing live again. I love the album...Kitty Litter, Battle for the Sun, Devil in Details (didnt like it that much till i heard it live the other night), Bright Lights, Speak in tounges, breathe underwater, come undone, kings of medicine...all great tunes imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Placebo wrote: »
    lets just quickly reviews classics

... but seriously playing something like Follow the cops back home over the above is annoying

Im not too impressed by the new album, if it wasnt for their old stuff dont think many people would give it a second listen.

+1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Black Eyed
    Days before you came
    Scared of Girls
    Allergic
    36 degrees
    Bionic
    Passive Aggressive
    Without you im nothing
    My Sweet prince
    Commercial for Levi
    Every you
    Special K
    Slave to the wage
    Teenage angst (slow)
    Peeping Tom

Taste in men
    nancy Boy
    Pure Morning

sorry i stand corrected...not 4....it was 3, i was at the front, side of stage , i saw 1 bass guitar player, and two guitar players (1 behind amp hiding) and a keyboard player and a girl playing another keyboard? ...if you are a three piece band you are a three piece band.....i want to see the band play....not 5 unknowns making them sound amazing.....if you play in a band you would know its an unwritten rule for live rock and roll.....its not neil diamond or lionel ritchie ....maybe im too much of a purist haha :0)

that gig in 2000 was amazing ....show in sfx for wyin tour was class as well

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I couldn't go the gig in dublin due to exams =[ I'm almost crying reading this thread. I'd kill to see them live, I swear next time they come anywhere near Ireland I'm going to trap them and never make them leave. I'd kill to see them play Pierrot the Clown live as well as Lady of the Flowers.

But I like the fact they've manage to release a good album this year, loads of other artists we're really disappointing, but they still keep making fantastic music ^.^

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Also they're playing Sonsiphere over the summer ( that's a festival in the uk) The rest of the line isn't really in the same league as Placebo are but still it's Placebo, I'd certainly go over just to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭L.T.D

Hope they do an Irish fest next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Looks like I could be seeing Placebo on successive days here in Perth in March.

They play the Soundwave festival on the 1st (which is my birthday :D) then their own show in a small venue on the 2nd (got a ticket for that already). Be quality to see them two days in a row, once at a festival and once with a full set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Zimovane

Would kill to see them live:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I've only seen them live once, that was at Oxegen 2006. They played most of the songs off Meds and threw in a few classics so it wasn't too bad a set. But what really took away from the enjoyment of their set was being crushed at the front :eek: , wasn't a very comfortable ride. They're not really a festival band though, i'd definitely rather see them in a venue like The Olympia.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So I did see them on successive days and it was bloody brilliant.

The setlists for both the festival and sideshow were very Battle For The Sun orientated and I'd have like a few more oldies thrown in.

Setlist for the sideshow last night was -

1. For What It's Worth
    2. Ashtray Heart
    3. Battle For The Sun
    4. Soulmates
    5. Every You Every Me
    6. Speak In Tongues
    7. Breathe Underwater
    8. The Never-Ending Why
    9. Julien
    10. Special Needs
    11. Come Undone