Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placebo - Battle for the Sun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

If you've signed up to Placeboworld.co.uk you can listen to the new album in full this weekend.

Quite simply, it's amazing. Songs like Bright Lights and The Never-Ending Why make For What It's Worth sound like sh!te, and I like For What It's Worth :pac: This album will definately get good reviews.

I have my ticket for November 15th, can't wait. Last time I saw Placebo here was in 2000, and then I saw them at in London in 2003 just before Sleeping With Ghosts came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Lamps

Just had a listen, that sounds a super album on first impressions.

None of this electronic crap they were doing, every song sounds good. i think this is going to be an awesome album.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Going to see Placebo twice this year. When it's not a famine it's a feast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Got the album

First listen right now, so far my favourite is Ashtray Heart

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just gave it a first listen and I'm very impressed. Sounds like a real return to form.

I wasn't a huge fan of 'Meds' and this has me excited in the same way 'Sleeping With Ghosts' did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Just having a listen now and it's great.

'Kings of Medicine' is an absolutely cracking song.

Manics & Placebo - 2 of my favourite bands releasing 2 cracking albums in the space of a month :)

New Muse album 'The Resistance' out in November hopefully :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Listened on placeboworld.com....not convinced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Listened on placeboworld.com....not convinced.

listen again then. :D

Your the first person ive come across thats not impressed with it, its a cracker.

Seeing them in 2 weeks at rockness and then in December (i cannot wait for that gig)....they've been away for to long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Lamps

Seen them at pinkpop last night....holy crap they were awesome and the new drummer is really energetic. They are in top form, roll on December.

Lamps wrote: »
    Seen them at pinkpop last night....holy crap they were awesome and the new drummer is really energetic. They are in top form, roll on December.

That was ****ing DEADLY :D

I think we've just found our Album of the Year

I cannot praise this release highly enough - definitely the best thing they've ever done....... IT'S F*CKING BRILLIANT!!! :D

I think we've just found our Album of the Year

I cannot praise this release highly enough - definitely the best thing they've ever done....... IT'S F*CKING BRILLIANT!!! :D

i agree, its amazing, where the feck did they pull that from!
    I seriously thought they were on the way down and out, Meds and Sleeping with Ghosts wernt great, but this is a fantastic album. Speak in Tounges and Battle for the Sun are probably my favourite 2 placebos songs ever, cant stop listening to them!

Is Happy your gone about Steve Hewitt i wonder....

There's actually not a bad tune on it!

Ashtray Heart and Kings of Medicine are my faves :D

There's actually not a bad tune on it!

Ashtray Heart and Kings of Medicine are my faves :D

Those two and 'The Never Ending Why' make up my top 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

5/10
    maybe 6 after a few listens,
    not bad, NOT amazing either.

refer to older albums for an argument. Nothing appeals like 'sleeping with ghosts' or 'special needs' or 'meds' etc [using new ones for a fair argument]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Downloaded it,will listen and see if it hits the peaks of the first 2 albums.

Downloaded it,will listen and see if it hits the peaks of the first 2 albums.

Report back after listening to it a few times- first impressions can be deceiving. Trust me, it's a cracker

Just a heads up to those who didnt get a ticket for the first night in the olympia....they've added a second date the night after.

Im going to both, ive waited 9 years for them to play the Olympia again and it may be another 9 before they do it again!

Also listening to some of thier recent live sets, i love the way they mix their own songs...this version of Meds is amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtqVZP5RwWY

Cant wait to hear the album in high quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

My friend told me last week that one of the songs is definetly about Steve Hewitt.

Im very excited about this album after hearing everyones opinions. Im in NewYork at the moment so its not out here until the 9th! Cant wait!

Yeah, gonna go both nights too :D

The albums been absolutely SLAUGHTERED in the music press! I've read 6 reviews and they all ripped it to shreds........ they must be listening to a different album to the rest of us!

Kerrang and Rock Sound gave it a good review (4 K's and 8/10). The mainstream press have always given them a hard rap. I mean if they're not complaining about them sounding like they used to they're complaining about them changing their sound.

I bought the limited edition box set of Battle For The Sun, it is absolutely beautiful. The package is so nice (2 CDs, 2 LPs, 2 DVDs, a poster and really nice artwork with some hand written lyrics), the live DVD that comes with it in particular is pretty good. It also has two bonus tracks, 'Unisex' and 'The Movie On Your Eyelids'. Unisex is brilliant, should have been an album track I think, strangely it sounds a bit like Snow Patrol to me... well if Snow Patrol wrote an interesting song :pac: 'The Movie On Your Eyelids' is a slow song, more of a grower I think, it usually takes me a while to appreciate some of Placebo's slower songs.

GothPunk wrote: »
    Kerrang and Rock Sound gave it a good review (4 K's and 8/10). The mainstream press have always given them a hard rap. I mean if they're not complaining about them sounding like they used to they're complaining about them changing their sound.

I bought the limited edition box set of Battle For The Sun, it is absolutely beautiful. The package is so nice (2 CDs, 2 LPs, 2 DVDs, a poster and really nice artwork with some hand written lyrics), the live DVD that comes with it in particular is pretty good. It also has two bonus tracks, 'Unisex' and 'The Movie On Your Eyelids'. Unisex is brilliant, should have been an album track I think, strangely it sounds a bit like Snow Patrol to me... well if Snow Patrol wrote an interesting song :pac: 'The Movie On Your Eyelids' is a slow song, more of a grower I think, it usually takes me a while to appreciate some of Placebo's slower songs.

Class! I'll download em and letcha know what I think of both of em! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

i agree, its amazing, where the feck did they pull that from!
    I seriously thought they were on the way down and out, Meds and Sleeping with Ghosts wernt great, but this is a fantastic album. Speak in Tounges and Battle for the Sun are probably my favourite 2 placebos songs ever, cant stop listening to them!

According to the band themselves, Hewitt's departure was entirely his own decision, and he left on good terms. Certainly, it sounded like there was much less agro than when he replaced Robert Schultzberg.

Class! I'll download em and letcha know what I think of both of em! :D
    There's another song, the Japanese bonus track, called 'In A Funk' that's definately worth seeking out, sounds very like Placebo in '96.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Valmont2006

Love the new album. The title track is by far and away my favourite. We have a couple of Placebo Goodybags up for competiton on Culch.ie if anyone is interested. Don't think too many of our readers are Placebo fans - so they may as well go to people who deserve them.

Love the new album. The title track is by far and away my favourite. We have a couple of Placebo Goodybags up for competiton on Culch.ie if anyone is interested. Don't think too many of our readers are Placebo fans - so they may as well go to people who deserve them.

Done and done :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, good luck to all who enter. (Although I hope I win! :pac:)

Advertisement