Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

ncmc wrote: »
    Hi all, I am travelling to London for 3 nights with my 2 sisters on the first week of November. We are looking for a central hotel that can accommodate 3 adults. We are on a tight budget, so are looking to spend no more than £150 per room per night. It is proving quite difficult to stick to this budget! Our contenders at the moment are the Royal National hotel near Russell Square for £125 per night (I have actually stayed at this hotel before and found it to be ok, but very, very basic) or Jury’s Inn Islington for £159 per night for a superior room.

I know our budget is quite restrictive and we don’t mind basic accommodation, but can anyone recommend a clean, central hotel that will accommodate 3 adults?

Had a quick look on booking.com and this place looks alright, but it does seem tricky to find somewhere decent at that price

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/accommodation-london-bridge.en-gb.html?sid=71435343b03554f1b4969ecae1e6d401;dcid=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

TigerTim wrote: »
    Anyone tell me if the Planetarium has moved. Last time I was there it was next to Madame Tussauds off Baker street. When I Google it now it seems to be in Greenwich

T.

This explains it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Planetarium

The one on Marylebone Road is now part of Madam Tussauds and is no longer a planetarium. The building is still thre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

This explains it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Planetarium

The one on Marylebone Road is now part of Madam Tussauds and is no longer a planetarium. The building is still thre though.

Many Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

ncmc wrote: »
    Hi all, I am travelling to London for 3 nights with my 2 sisters on the first week of November. We are looking for a central hotel that can accommodate 3 adults. We are on a tight budget, so are looking to spend no more than £150 per room per night. It is proving quite difficult to stick to this budget! Our contenders at the moment are the Royal National hotel near Russell Square for £125 per night (I have actually stayed at this hotel before and found it to be ok, but very, very basic) or Jury’s Inn Islington for £159 per night for a superior room.

I know our budget is quite restrictive and we don’t mind basic accommodation, but can anyone recommend a clean, central hotel that will accommodate 3 adults?

Arran House Hotel, Bloomington,
    77-79 Gower Street, London WC1 6HJ
    Webpage
    http://www.arranhotel-london.com/about_us.htm

Rates
    http://www.arranhotel-london.com/rates.htm

Two Georgian Houses made into a reasonable hotel. There are a number of hotels along this street and nearby as it is convenient for Euston Station. Always friendly staff, some rooms are bigger then others.
    (the Arran refers to Scotland).
    Convenient to a few different tube stations servicing different lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 galwaysj

Does anyone know anyone driving to Galway? Looking for a few boxes to be brought over. Kitchenware and a TV nothing untoward! Boxes will be open.
    Just moved over and can't afford courier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

galwaysj wrote: »
    Does anyone know anyone driving to Galway? Looking for a few boxes to be brought over. Kitchenware and a TV nothing untoward! Boxes will be open.
    Just moved over and can't afford courier
    London or galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Post is very confusing.

OP, you want your kit brought from where to where?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

We don't know whether you are coming or going galwaysj.

Either way your post might get a better response here as it is more geared towards people living in London.

Or maybe try the Galway City / County forums if you going in the other direction.

Anyone got a good idea of how much time it usually takes from getting off a Ryanair flight at Gatwick to get to the train platforms - ticket will be booked in advance, so have to enter codes at machine, am due to land at 1610 and trying to decide between two cheap trains at 1658 or 1710, obviously safer to book the later one but might risk the 1658.

Anyone got a good idea of how much time it usually takes from getting off a Ryanair flight at Gatwick to get to the train platforms - ticket will be booked in advance, so have to enter codes at machine, am due to land at 1610 and trying to decide between two cheap trains at 1658 or 1710, obviously safer to book the later one but might risk the 1658.

I'd definitely opt for the later train.

If you have check in luggage to collect, that will slow you down and if the flight is delayed by as little as 20 minutes, Usain Bolt would do well to make the 16.58 train.

Even if you don't have luggage to collect, and your flight arrives on time, you you should allow for the following -

- Allow ten minutes to get off the plane once the seat belt signs are turned off.

- Allow a ten minute walk to get from the aircraft to the station.

- Always ALWAYS allow at least ten minutes to use the ticket machines / office when you get to the station. Gatwick train station is always busy.

Take the 17.10 train. Its only an extra 12 minutes and the chances are you won't be hanging around for those minutes anyway.

In theory, it is possible to get from plane to train in Gatwick in less than 20 minutes.

But in practice, it often takes a lot longer.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, will probably get the later one so. Just hate being in rush hour trains in London, will have to get a Tube once I get to Victoria so was hoping the earlier the better.

The earlier train would actually arrive into Victoria in the thick of peak time at the station, while the rush will have marginally slackened off by the time the later one gets in. Very marginally, so not much difference really. Trains from Gatwick themselves at that time of day won't be affected by the rush hour at all.

If you are getting the Gatwick Express its worth noting that there are much cheaper rail services from Gatwick into London Bridge, Blackfriars, and St Pancras stations in Central London with First Capital Connect, and journey times aren't much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Travelling to London on the 29th of October (Sunday) until the 31st of Oct (Wednesday)

Just wondering would there be much going on in Covent garden between Sunday and Wednesday, really just hoping to hang out for a day and watch the street performers, if any, but are these mostly just during the summer?

Thanks in advance

Sunday is the best day in Covent Garden for street performers although there are a few there everyday. All year round.

Camden lock is another good place to see street performances if the weather is good. Again Sunday is the best day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Coming over for the weekend shortly with a few mates to take in a match at the Emirates. It's been left to me to find out about a couple of good pubs. Preferably late opening. Doesn't really matter where, we will be staying in Russell Square. Can I get a recommendation please? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

gebbel wrote: »
    Coming over for the weekend shortly with a few mates to take in a match at the Emirates. It's been left to me to find out about a couple of good pubs. Preferably late opening. Doesn't really matter where, we will be staying in Russell Square. Can I get a recommendation please? Thanks.

What's a "good pub"? A loud, "sports bar" type of place with loads of TVs? A quiet place with a good range of ales? One with live music? Something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Sorry I should have been more clear, a late bar with or without music and lively also. I have heard people mention Shoreditch and Camden as good places to try. Is this true?

Lapin wrote: »
    I'd definitely opt for the later train.

If you have check in luggage to collect, that will slow you down and if the flight is delayed by as little as 20 minutes, Usain Bolt would do well to make the 16.58 train.

Even if you don't have luggage to collect, and your flight arrives on time, you you should allow for the following -

- Allow ten minutes to get off the plane once the seat belt signs are turned off.

- Allow a ten minute walk to get from the aircraft to the station.

- Always ALWAYS allow at least ten minutes to use the ticket machines / office when you get to the station. Gatwick train station is always busy.

Take the 17.10 train. Its only an extra 12 minutes and the chances are you won't be hanging around for those minutes anyway.

In theory, it is possible to get from plane to train in Gatwick in less than 20 minutes.

But in practice, it often takes a lot longer.

Booked the 17.10 train for a Fiver through www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk also got my return on the Sunday for the same fare. Why would anyone use Gatwick Express?

Heading to London shortly for 5 days & figure an Oyster card is best for us for rail & bus travel as we will be travelling at all times & don't want to be restricted to off peak. There are 5 of us, 2 adults & 3 kids (11,10 & 7). As far as I can make out kids age 10 & 7 will travel free - does this sound right. Do I need to buy 3 oyster cards or will one do & swipe it 3 times. I've heard that you must swipe it as you leave the station or you will be charged to the end of the line. Any info appreciated.

T.

All children under 16 travel free on buses and trams and 11 - 16 year olds get child fares on the tube, but your 11 year old may require one of these.

Each adult will need their own Oyster card. It is not possible to register three people for one journey one one card. (the gates in the tube station will only open once).

"I've heard that you must swipe it as you leave the station or you will be charged to the end of the line."

This will only be an issue on the Docklands Light Rail, Trams and some National Rail services where there are no gates to exit the station. There are points to tag off (not swipe) your cards at station exits and tram platforms. There is no need to tag off after using a bus.

All Tube and many National Rail stations have exit gates that require you to tag off before they open.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Lapin for the info. I've left it a bit late for a photocard for by 11 year old so I'll probably just buy a Travelcard for her. Won't cost that much anyway.

Again, many thanks,

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

I'm looking to head to London for a couple of nights early next year and doing the Harry Potter studio tour while I'm there. Can anybody recommend to me a good place to stay thats reasonably priced. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Can't be specific without knowing what or where you want but check out Top Secret hotels on lastminute.com (http://www.lastminute.com/site/travel/hotels/deals/top-secret.html?intcmp=hotels_london_pod1_tsh_merch). Couple of years back I got a room at the very swanky Hilton at Paddington Station for £62 a night and i've just booked a good quality 4* in Berlin for £28 a night. They don't tell you which hotel it is until you stump up but it's easy to work out (Google search the description or sort by distance from a landmark and they'll show up beside the named hotel in the results).

Harry Potter tour is expensive but completely worth it btw.

Can't be specific without knowing what or where you want but check out Top Secret hotels on lastminute.com (http://www.lastminute.com/site/travel/hotels/deals/top-secret.html?intcmp=hotels_london_pod1_tsh_merch). Couple of years back I got a room at the very swanky Hilton at Paddington Station for £62 a night and i've just booked a good quality 4* in Berlin for £28 a night. They don't tell you which hotel it is until you stump up but it's easy to work out (Google search the description or sort by distance from a landmark and they'll show up beside the named hotel in the results).

Harry Potter tour is expensive but completely worth it btw.

Thanks,

I'm just looking for somewhere convenient to the city centre itself where it will be easy to get to and from the airport along with getting out to the studios really, I dont know all the areas of London so when I see an address of a hotel I dont know how close or far away it is from the city centre itself.

Which airport are you flying into? And where is the Harry Potter tour? If you can pick somewhere that's on both train/tube lines then that makes life for you a bit easier.

Check www.tfl.gov.uk for travel options.

Which airport are you flying into? And where is the Harry Potter tour? If you can pick somewhere that's on both train/tube lines then that makes life for you a bit easier.

Check www.tfl.gov.uk for travel options.

I haven't booked anything yet, trying to get an idea of cost before deciding to go ahead with it. I'd say I'll fly into Gatwick as thats seems cheaper than flying into Heathrow. I'd like to have a good look around the city along with going to the studio as it'l be the first time in London for the two of us so don't want to be based too far out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Anything in Zone 1 or 2 should suit fine for what you want. If you're unsure of a hotel's location in relation to everything else, fire it's postcode into Google Maps, then check the nearest tube station against the tube map on TFL. Maybe somewhere up around Euston would suit as you can get a train from there direct out to Watford (for Harry Potter) and you're only a 10 or 15-minute walk from Oxford Circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

Hi Guys,

I am flying into Gatwick and need to get to
    Strand Palace Hotel
    372 Strand, Covent Garden, London, WC2R 0JJ

Can you make a reccomendation, I wont be in a hurry so the best and most econimical way please.

Also can anyone reccomend a west end show to go to, we went to Lion King and really enjoyed it last year. thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi Guys,

I am flying into Gatwick and need to get to
    Strand Palace Hotel
    372 Strand, Covent Garden, London, WC2R 0JJ

Can you make a reccomendation, I wont be in a hurry so the best and most econimical way please.

Also can anyone reccomend a west end show to go to, we went to Lion King and really enjoyed it last year. thanks in advance.

Train from Gatwick to London Bridge preferably FIrst Capital Connect as it arrives on platform 5 so you can walk step free across to platform 6 where Charing X trains run on 10 minute or less intervals during the day. Strand Palace Hotel (God help you) is 5 minutes walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Catch the Stanstead Express directly from the airport lower level right to the city and catch a tube from the station to any place in London.

They even sell the train tickets on board, cheaper than anybody else I might add.

https://www.stanstedexpress.com/index.asp?SID={D450D0DE-F73B-4E51-B0AF-C98D719E7612}

Thank you for your reply, I am worried about the comment on the hotel, is it a dump. It cost quite a few quid so was hoping for something reasonable but it was the area we went for as we could walk to most places

Advertisement