Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Wembley Park was upgraded around the same time as the new stadium and its a lot easier (and quicker) to get in and out of it now on event days than it was for the old stadium.

Even so, you should still expect delays getting in after a match. Depending what part of the ground you're sitting in, it will take at least 10 - 25 minutes just to get to the tube station. It may take another 5 -10 minutes to get onto the platform. (Metropolitan line is the quickest into Central London and the larger trains are more comfortable.

Alternativlely, on the other side of the stadium is Wembley Stadium station with trains to Marylebone. (Chiltern Trains).

Further up the high st (10 minute walk) is Wembley Central on the Bakerloo Line serving the west end and Sourhern trains to Euston.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lapin wrote: »
    Wembley Park was upgraded around the same time as the new stadium and its a lot easier (and quicker) to get in and out of it now on event days than it was for the old stadium.

Even so, you should still expect delays getting in after a match. Depending what part of the ground you're sitting in, it will take at least 10 - 25 minutes just to get to the tube station. It may take another 5 -10 minutes to get onto the platform. (Metropolitan line is the quickest into Central London and the larger trains are more comfortable.

Alternativlely, on the other side of the stadium is Wembley Stadium station with trains to Marylebone. (Chiltern Trains).

Further up the high st (10 minute walk) is Wembley Central on the Bakerloo Line serving the west end and Sourhern trains to Euston.

I only want to travel one stop on the Metropolitan line to Finchley road as it turns out, would I be better walking ya think?

I'll be in block 548 north west side of stadium (close to the front doors me thinks !)

Its a long walk from Wembley to Finchley Road. A least 2 hours.
    Wembley is all industrial estates and wasteground between the stadium and Neasden. Unlike the tube line, there is no direct road to Finchley Road.

You're in a handy spot in the stadium, (saves having to walk around it when you exit the place after the match).

Allowing a few minutes wait for the tube, I reckon you should be in Finchley Road within 40 minutes of the final whistle. The tube journey itself is only 7 or 8 minutes of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

What game are you going over for? If its a final, you should remember that half the fans leave first, so it isn't too bad.

Last time I went, I watched 40,000 Spurs fans vacate the ground in about 30 seconds.

What game are you going over for? If its a final, you should remember that half the fans leave first, so it isn't too bad.

Last time I went, I watched 40,000 Spurs fans vacate the ground in about 30 seconds.

Irons v Blackpool ! Hopefully it will be the Blackpool fans leaving first. OY !

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    Its a long walk from Wembley to Finchley Road. A least 2 hours.
    Wembley is all industrial estates and wasteground between the stadium and Neasden. Unlike the tube line, there is no direct road to Finchley Road.

You're in a handy spot in the stadium, (saves having to walk around it when you exit the place after the match).

Allowing a few minutes wait for the tube, I reckon you should be in Finchley Road within 40 minutes of the final whistle. The tube journey itself is only 7 or 8 minutes of this.

Google maps says a walk to Preston Road is 30 mins - better walking or sitting tight for tube at Wembley Park?

Thanks

vicwatson wrote: »
    Google maps says a walk to Preston Road is 30 mins - better walking or sitting tight for tube at Wembley Park?

Thanks

Sit tight for Wembley Park.

Preston Road will be busy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭londonbus

You could always do what the man who runs the transport system in London says:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/olympics/olympic-news/transport-chief-says-go-down-the-pub-to-ease-travel-congestion-7312798.html

.. while you wait for the queue at Wembley to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Hello all, just said I'd throw up a few questions on this as we're in dire straits at the moment. Four friends and I are planning on working and living in London for the summer. We are already looking at short term accommodation leases in areas such as Clapham and Ealing. The properties are mainly 2/3 bedroom apartments as we cannot afford any bigger, but we plan on kipping in together in a tight apartment on couches or whatever(that's a give in a case of students).

So I was just wondering what are the vicinities of Ealing and Clapham like, with regards to nightlife, availability of part time jobs, shopping and safety.

Cheers in advance for any replies received.

Hello all, just said I'd throw up a few questions on this as we're in dire straits at the moment. Four friends and I are planning on working and living in London for the summer. We are already looking at short term accommodation leases in areas such as Clapham and Ealing. The properties are mainly 2/3 bedroom apartments as we cannot afford any bigger, but we plan on kipping in together in a tight apartment on couches or whatever(that's a give in a case of students).

So I was just wondering what are the vicinities of Ealing and Clapham like, with regards to nightlife, availability of part time jobs, shopping and safety.

Cheers in advance for any replies received.

I reckon you'd be better off asking this over on the excellent Moving to / Living in London thread.

In the meantime, some info on Clapham and Ealing.
    Both areas are safe as is the vast majority of London.
    However, Clapham is near to Stockwell, parts of which are best avoided at night.

Clapham has a more vibrant nightlife, with a great mix of pubs, restaurants etc, and the area has a very cosmopolitan feel to it. Its also much closer to central London and has good transport connections both tube, surface rail and by bus. As a result, accommodation around Clapham will be more expensive than Ealing.

Ealing is more suburban in nature and although the area is well served with many good pubs and places to eat, it wouldn't top many people's list for nightlife in London. Its further out of town than Clapham, but is well served by tube and surface rail. Its also a bus hub for west London.

Neither area would be known for its shopping. Both have all the shops you'll find on any high street in the UK and the large supermarket chains, but if its speciality shops or high street brands you're after, you'll need to look elsewhere.

Both areas have Job Centres with lists of part/full time jobs updated daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 youtubevlz

go to google.com, it have everythings you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Does anyone know the best place to buy London theatre tickets - for Warhorse - for this weekend?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

Hi,

After scouring the entire dfa.ie website and getting dropped calls 6 times with the passport office I can't get a definite answer to this.

I got married a few months ago. Me and the wife have a trip to the UK planned and she needs to change her passport into her name name.

Does anyone know what exactly she needs to send off, get signed by the gardai and what should be originals/copies?

I had some passport issues before and got some great help here on boards.ie so thanks in advance if anyone knows the story.

Cheers,
    JL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Tow

Is is not written on the Passport Form?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

No, not for change of name. Maybe it is just seen as a normal, new passport application?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

There is no requirement that she get a passport with your surname. If her current passport is still valid, why not use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Google says http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/applying_for_or_renewing_an_irish_passport.html
    It is no longer possible to obtain a replacement passport (e.g. if your passport has been damaged or if you have married and want to change the name on your passport). Instead, you will have to apply for a new one. See our document on renewing an Irish passport.

Never mind, got a PM with the answer. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

What do you mean "never mind" ?

You asked the question. If you got a good answer, do you not think it makes sense to share it with the rest of the people ? Especially those who tried to help you ?

z

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Can you not just get the plane ticket in the name on her passport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

She's probably better to just hang on to her existing passport. The main reason for wanting one in her married name as soon as possible as far as I can see is if there are children who have the fathers surname.
    If she wants to take them out of the country herself and they have different surnames, that's where trouble can arise.

Reply for Yorky - post 873

Try
    http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/buy-tickets/tkts/

Failing that, there is a green kiosk on the corner of Coventry St and Whitcombe street outside Pret A Manger and opposite KFC, McDonalds and the new M&M Store that sells last minute tickets for West End Shows.

Its about half way between Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square and only a couple of minutes walk from either of those tube stations.

I got tickets there a couple of times and never had a problem although I have heard some negative stories but I don't know how true they are.

Here is a handy guide to places selling tickets for West End Shows.
    Shop around and don't allow yourself to get ripped off.

Enjoy the show !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Hi.

I'm planning a trip to London in a while and am looking for the cheapest possible accomododation. Basically all I'm looking for is a bed and a roof.

The location needs to be as near to Picadilly and the City Centre as possible.

If anyone knows the nearest airport also that would be great.

Thanks for your time,
    Glenn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

have you looked at www.hostelworld.com ? or www.couchsurfing.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Hi.

I'm planning a trip to London in a while and am looking for the cheapest possible accomododation. Basically all I'm looking for is a bed and a roof.

Thanks for your time,
    Glenn.

As for airports: London City airport is the closest. However, it's probably best to just choose whichever one provides the most convenient departure and arrival times, from whichever Irish airport is nearest to you. The overall time door-to-door won't be much different because of the time needed for check-in, security, baggage, the flight itself and so on.

Cheapest accomodation in London?

Hi.

Thanks for your time,
    Glenn.

............................................................................................................................

Heathrow is the handiest airport to get to Piccadilly from as its on the same tube line (Piccadilly line) so no need to change. The journey takes about 45 mins.

London City Airport is nearer but you'll need to make a couple of changes between the Docklands Light Rail and Tubes to get to the Wast End so the journey time could be a lot longer and more awkward if you have luggage. Flights into City Airport are also more expensive on average.

Luton, Stansted and Gatwick are all further out of London, but all three have excellent transport connections into the heart of the capital.

If you're on a tight budget, there are a few things to consider when choosing which airport to fly into. The nearest airport to where you want to get to isn't always the handiest or most cost effective.

Also, if an Aer Lingus flight to Heathrow costs around €30 more than than a Ryanair flight to Stansted, choose Aer Lingus. Any saving made on the cheaper Ryanair price will be cancelled out by the cost of the train from Stansted to London.

If you fly into Gatwick, don't get the Gatwick Express into Victoria. Get the First Capital Connect train to Blackfriars instead. It only takes a few minutes longer and is less than half the price.

For accommodation, that hostelworld link quoted above is excellent. It will probably cost more to stay in and around Piccadilly (especially in the run up, and during the Olympics) but shop around. A few minutes either side of Piccadilly Circus on the Bakerloo Line could net you considerable savings in accommodation costs.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Anyone know if the tubes running later at night due to Olympics for August. I read Stratford tube connections are but what about the other lines like metro line etc. Im staying with relatives outside the city so would love if we could stay in city late and then get tube back home. Normally finish around 11.30 pm.

Only for an extra hour it seems.

From Get Ahead of the Games via TFL.

Tube, DLR and Overground
    • During the Olympic Games, services will generally start between 5-5.30am as usual. However on Sundays Tube services will start 30-45 minutes earlier than usual, at around 6.30am. This will vary by line and station so check the TfL journey planner and local publicity for revised train times.
    • The Tube and DLR services will run around 60 minutes later than normal on all days, including Sundays. Last trains from central London will leave around 1.30am.
    • During the Olympic Games, the Tube will run extra evening services on the Jubilee, Central and District lines. There will be more trains running in the late evening from Friday 3 August, when events start at the Olympic Stadium.
    • On certain days and at certain times of day during the Games, some stations will operate differently. Measures may include entry or exit only at some stations, one-way movement within the station or station closures at stations where capacity is not high enough to deal with the demand. These changes will be signed within the affected stations in advance so you can plan for these different operational measures.
    • There will be a high level of demand for lifts at key stations. So some accessible stations are expected to be exceptionally busy at certain times, on certain days during the Games. Find out more information on accessible travel on the Tube, DLR and Overground during the Games.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I'm hoping to get into London next week, I will be staying overnight in High Wycombe and hoped to head into London before heading North on the M1. Which would be the best way to get into london - train, tube, bus? Will be driving so need somewhere to park the car before heading in. Need to take into consideration I want somewhere close to access M1 from later in the day.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get into London next week, I will be staying overnight in High Wycombe and hoped to head into London before heading North on the M1. Which would be the best way to get into london - train, tube, bus? Will be driving so need somewhere to park the car before heading in. Need to take into consideration I want somewhere close to access M1 from later in the day.
    Thanks

Suggest your park at High Whycome and take the train to Marylebourne (30 minutes).

When you are finished M40 , M25 then M1

Six of one half a dozen of the other going any other way

Advertisement