Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

just wondering whats the cheapest way to get to and from gatwick airport to the city centre

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

freyners wrote: »
    just wondering whats the cheapest way to get to and from gatwick airport to the city centre

Have a look at the Overview Of Gatwick - Central London Transfers table near the bottom of this page on the London Toolkit website. It provides a handy list of fares, journey times and links.

From my own experience -

The bus is cheaper but not worth it for the time it takes to get into Central London (even if you do manage to get one of those Easybus fares for £2).

The chances are, when you do arrive at Victoria Coach station, you'll need to continue your journey by tube, (a 5 minute walk from the coach station), so for the sake of an extra couple of pounds I'd get the train to London Bridge. It takes less than half an hour, doesn't cost that much extra and there are excellent Tube connections from London Bridge.

Its a lot less hassle for little extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Lapin wrote: »
    Have a look at the Overview Of Gatwick - Central London Transfers table near the bottom of this page on the London Toolkit website. It provides a handy list of fares, journey times and links.

From my own experience -

The bus is cheaper but not worth it for the time it takes to get into Central London (even if you do manage to get one of thoseEasybus fares for £2).

The chances are, when you do arrive at Victoria Coach station, you'll need tocontinue your journey by tube, (a 5 minute walk from the coach station), so forthe sake of an extra couple of pounds I'd get the train to London Bridge.It takes less than half an hour, doesn't cost that much extra and there areexcellent Tube connections from London Bridge.

Its a lot less hassle for little extra cost.
    cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Huntelaar

Thanks for that Lapin!

Any suggestions on a few nice kinda classy restaurants or bars around Westminster? Nothing ridiculously upper class or anything, just nice ha!

Huntelaar wrote: »
    Thanks for that Lapin!

Any suggestions on a few nice kinda classy restaurants or bars around Westminster? Nothing ridiculously upper class or anything, just nice ha!

Not much in the way of restaurants around Westminster. The area is mainly occupied by Government offices, departments, and civil servant buildings. You could easly spend a few hours there taking in some of the most famous sights in the world - The Houses of Parliament - Westminster Abbey - Downing street - Whitehall - St James' Park - Westminster Bridge etc, and you should, but its not an area known for dining. Although the place is dotted with some lovely pubs, most serving food.

There is also very little on the London Eye (Waterloo) side of the river, and anything close to the main attractions will be far from classy and poor on value. Having said that, its worth sneaking down to the hidden gem that is Roupell Street for a pint in London's best pup, The King's Arms !

Head towards Trafalgar Square from Big Ben. (About a 10 minute walk), Behind the National Gallery is the heart of the West End and more restaurants per square foot than anywhere else in Europe. This is where you'll find Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Soho and Covent Garden. There are restaurants here to suit all tastes and pockets.

If you're looking for somewhere to go before/after the theatre, there are plenty of eateries around Victoria, but like Waterloo they are mainly pubs and the place is also full of fast food joints. (Like the neighbourhood around most major train stations anywhere).

An old favourite of mine is just a few minutes walk from The Apollo Theatre. The Boisdale in Belgravia (The ultra plush area behind Buckingham Palace) is a Scottish restaurant with a difference. I haven't been here for about 18 months but can't wait to go back again. Its a little bit pricey but classy without being over the top. The food, service and decor is top notch. The owner (A chap called Ranald McDonald !) will look after you. And its only a 3 minute taxi from Westminster or the West End.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hix Soho is a great place for pre and post theatre dining. http://www.hixsoho.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    Upmarket shopping on whats meant to be a lads holiday?
    I'd best not let my partner see that particular post :p
    I'm only a few minutes from SNN so I have easy access to all the London airports apart from Docklands I think.
    So I think maybe basing in London close to tube and train access will allow us a lot more flexibility on this trip.
    Thanks again Fred.

Just to follow up on this.
    We have kinda settled on staying in the Kensington/Earls Court area as it seems to be easy accesibility to Heathrow, Tube and nice and central too.
    I reckon with a Merlin pass and a travel card it could be great value ;)
    We have been looking at the Ibis Earls Court and Kensington Close hotel(budget is kinda important)
    We are looking at maybe a 6 nights stay and after a hotel that will be comfortable for 2 adults and 8y.o.
    Other than the 2 I've mentioned would anyone have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Has anyone ever used londonmusicals.ie im looking at booking tickets for a london show using this site for my wifes birthday but dunno about it. It looks pretty decent and the ticket prices seem ok but has anyone used it? I dont want to be caught out by a dud site

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Find the theatre's official website and they will have a link for ticket sales. Anything else involves dealing with third parties who may or may not be official ticket agents and may or not involve rip-off merchants.

Seven theatres are covered here.....

http://www.delfontmackintosh.co.uk/

And if it's not on that website, this is a safe place to start if you can't find the official theatre website....

http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks, I'm looking for some Oyster/Travelcard advice from the experts here please?
    We are doing a week in London in late March, 2 adults + 1child.
    We will be doing trips to Windsor(Legoland), Staines(Thorpe Park) and Watford Junction(Harry Potter) which are all outside the Zone 1-6 areas as well as the usual London touristy bits.
    Would it be better to just buy 7day Zone 1-6 travelcards and pay the supplemental fares needed for those journeys?
    Or is there any money to be saved/other advantage from buying a Zone 1-9(Although I must admit I am having difficulty in figuring what exactly extra is included in zones 7/8/9 apart from Watford Junction)?
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Is there anything you even realistically want to see outside Zones 1-2 other than what you've mentioned? The reason I'm asking is that there's £50 difference between 2 x Zone 1-2 7-day Travelcards and 2 x Zone 1-6 (£30 V £55 each), so even allowing for paying for the trip to Watford and maybe the return to Heathrow on Oyster topups you're still not coming close to making a Zone 1-6 worth it.

Check out fares here, including for the child as you didn't mention an age http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

If there is the odd thing you want to see outside Zone 2, then get a bus. All London bus journeys are included on an Oyster travelcard.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Hey folks,

Looking to book a trip to London. Aer Lingus flies to SEN airport? How easy is it to get from there to central London (Oxford Street, Marble Arch area)?

Sorry if wrong forum! Bah didn't see megathread :( Can this be deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Hey folks,

Looking to book a trip to London. Aer Lingus flies to SEN airport? How easy is it to get from there to central London (Oxford Street, Marble Arch area)?

I did try google but can't seem to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

It's Southend Airport. It's an hour from there to Liverpool St then another half hour or so to Oxford Circus. Single train tickets are about £15 off-peak

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It's Southend Airport. It's an hour from there to Liverpool St then another half hour or so to Oxford Circus. Single train tickets are about £15 off-peak

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Or change to the central line at Stratford for an easier experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

It is very easy. They advertise the station as 100 steps from the airport. The trains are pretty regular. Have a look on www.trainline.co.uk for the times. The train goes into London Liverpool street in about 45/50 mins. From here you can take the tube to marble arch (central line)

Hope this is some help

Marcusm wrote: »
    Or change to the central line at Stratford for an easier experience.

+1

Much easier. Liverpool street Tube station is a pain in the neck. The ticket area is too small and there are always queues there.

Stratford have been revamped in recent years (it is the nearest station to the Olympic Park) and its much easier to get around.

20 mins direct to Oxford Street on the Central Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

The thing SEN has over the bigger LDN airport is that its so small you can be out and at the train station in a matter of minutes. Its all very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

Hi Everyone,

Writing this on behalf of a friend but he'll be using my account.
    Here's his words.

Hi baically my girlfriend and I are interested in moving to London but have a few queries and would like to be able to get feedback.
    My girlfriend and I are both 25 with decent qualifications. My girlfriend has a degree in Office Management and experience in a factory while I have a Higher Certificate in Business and Computing and 5 years experience in Accounts Assistand and Administration roles. I'd just like to explore what is the realistic version of things in London.

Like what are our chances of finding a job in London and what is job market like over there? We aren't fussy and expecting to be walking in to big paying jobs and know it'll be low paying hard work but that is the type of people we are that want to work hard. Just we have fears that we will go over and find nothing. Also we know we need about £4000 starting over and can save that but can anyone recommend the best value areas to rent and places to be aware of. Also any other info would be great.
    We'd be prepared also I should note to take jobs outside our field and any additional info people may have would be great such as where to stay when first moving over, good recruitment agencies etc to apply and any info that is beneficial. The Irih Centre had a good booklet and it helps but its much more assuring hearing stories from people who have experienced it first hand and are aware of what the economy, job situation and other aspects are like in UK (which I know is only slightly better than here) but more importantly London.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

Anyone at all to help?

• Advertisement

Muffinman1 wrote: »
    Anyone at all to help?

More info here Muffinman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Filangi88

Hey:)

Does anyone know the cheapest way to get from Stansted to Putney? Would I be best going to Victoria Station and then tube? I don't know my way around London at all.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Probably, though flying into STN to get to Putney is just a bad choice - if you haven't booked, I'd recommend paying that bit extra and using one of the airports in the right side of London!

i've already booked...id change my route but ryanair don't go to heathrow..shock horror! and gatwick isn't much closer. should have gone with eurolines after all!!! :P

Filangi88 wrote: »
    Hey:)

Does anyone know the cheapest way to get from Stansted to Putney? Would I be best going to Victoria Station and then tube? I don't know my way around London at all.

Thanks!

Yep, thats the handiest way.

The cheapest way to get from Stansted into Central London is with Terravision coach to Victoria.

From Victoria Take the District Line Tube westbound towards Wimbledon. East Putney is the 9th stop.

If you haven't got an Oyster Card, buy one at Travel Information Centre located in the opposite platform seven in the main concourse of Victoria station as the tube ticket hall downstairs is currently undergoing renovation and there will probably be queues there.

Turn left outside East Putney tube station to get to Putney High Street. (About a 5 minute walk).

Yep, thats the handiest way.

The cheapest way to get from Stansted into Central London is with Terravision coach to Victoria.

From Victoria Take the District Line Tube westbound towards Wimbledon. East Putney is the 9th stop.

If you haven't got an Oyster Card, buy one at Travel Information Centre located in the opposite platform seven in the main concourse of Victoria station as the tube ticket hall downstairs is currently undergoing renovation and there will probably be queues there.

Turn left outside East Putney tube station to get to Putney High Street. (About a 5 minute walk).

Thanks so much!! thats great!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Travelling to london in 2 weeks with my mum. Flying into stansted has anyone any recommendations on hotels near liverpool street or in general? Thanks

I don't know much about hotels in London as I don't stay in them when I'm there but I do know they are pricey. Although it depends on what you're looking for.

While handy for connections to Stansted, Liverpool St and the surrounding area isn't one of the more exciting parts of town. Its located in the financial district of The City of London and can look deserted in the evenings and weekends following the mass exodus of office workers in the City. Indeed the sight of thousands of people walking across London Bridge in the same direction between 5 and 6 every weekday evening is quite spectacular in itself. Many of the pubs and restaurants in the City close in the evenings around 8 or 9 and don't open at all at weekends.

Having said that there is lots to see and do in the area with places like The Tower of London, Tower Bridge. St Paul's, all within walking distance. And its only a few minutes from the West End by tube, bus or taxi. The Number 11 Bus is particularly interesting as it passes by some of the most famous landmarks in London and a seat on the top deck is as good as many of the tour buses, but without the commentary.

Also close to Liverpool Street are the markets of Petticoat Lane and Brick Lane which is well worth visiting if you're there on Sunday morning. I love the place.

For a nice bite to eat and a drink not a million miles away is Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese pub just off Fleet Street. Hidden well enough away not to become a tourist trap, walking through the door of this pub is like stepping into the 17 century. No visit to London is complete without a visit here.

The Liverpool Street Travelodge looks like good value. Its about a 10 minute walk from Liverpool Street station itself and closer to Aldgate Tube station.

Enjoy your trip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

I don't know much about hotels in London as I don't stay in them when I'm there but I do know they are pricey. Although it depends on what you're looking for.

While handy for connections to Stansted, Liverpool St and the surrounding area isn't one of the more exciting parts of town. Its located in the financial district of The City of London and can look deserted in the evenings and weekends following the mass exodus of office workers in the City. Indeed the sight of thousands of people walking across London Bridge in the same direction between 5 and 6 every weekday evening is quite spectacular in itself. Many of the pubs and restaurants in the City close in the evenings around 8 or 9 and don't open at all at weekends.

Having said that there is lots to see and do in the area with places like The Tower of London, Tower Bridge. St Paul's, all within walking distance. And its only a few minutes from the West End by tube, bus or taxi. The Number 11 Bus is particularly interesting as it passes by some of the most famous landmarks in London and a seat on the top deck is as good as many of the tour buses, but without the commentary.

Also close to Liverpool Street are the markets of Petticoat Lane and Brick Lane which is well worth visiting if you're there on Sunday morning. I love the place.

For a nice bite to eat and a drink not a million miles away is Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese pub just off Fleet Street. Hidden well enough away not to become a tourist trap, walking through the door of this pub is like stepping into the 17 century. No visit to London is complete without a visit here.

The Liverpool Street Travelodge looks like good value. Its about a 10 minute walk from Liverpool Street station itself and closer to Aldgate Tube station.

Enjoy your trip :)

Thank you very much for your help its much appreciated! First time to london can't wait to get on that plane lol :)

• Advertisement

I've been to London a few times and have booked to go again next month, so as it's a lazy Sunday, Ive been looking up things to do, that I haven't done already. I'm looking for some advice on these suggestions:
    Up at The O2 You can walk up along the roof of the Millennium Dome/O2
    The Shard Views of London, 70 floors up
    Emirates Air Line Crosses the Thames from North Greenwich to the Royal Docks
    Westminster Abbey Didn't go on my last trip, it sounded expensive (around £18) for visiting a Church, but maybe those who have been, can tell meif it is worth it. Although I really enjoyed St. Pauls cathedral.

Advertisement