Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Hi all. :)

Will be booking flights to London soon for a 27th-31st Dec stay.

I've been looking at the combination ticket for Madame Tussauds, Sea Life, London Eye and London Dungeon, hopefully on the 28th.

Will be taking in the the London Science Museum as well on the 29th. We will probably fill the 30th, before flying back to Cork with London Zoo (have tried booking that online but it won't let me select dates beyond November 4th, perhaps it'll come available later!)

All of the attractions on the 28th are within the Jubilee Line of the Tube from some cursory Googling. London Science Museum is a bit out of the way of those 4 as is London Zoo but they are all within 30 mins or so of the Jubilee Line by public transport. I assume an Oyster card is a must with all the travelling I will be doing.

I suppose in essence I would be grateful for recommendations of hotels that are close to the places I'll be visiting. Access to public transport that would take me to and from Heathrow would also be appreciated! We have a budget of 500 euro for the 4 night hotel stay!

Thanks for your help!

No need to be so reliant on the jubilee line. Switching tubes is relatively simple. Science museum is best found from South Kensington tube on the Piccadilly line/Circle line.

Northern line serves you just as well tbh, i know a good hotel called Hampstead Britannia, about 8 mins walk from chalk farm tube station (which is on the northern line). My parents stay there when they visit me and it falls within your budget. From here London Zoo is 10 mins walk away, and its a nice 20 walk through regents park from there to Madame Tussauds. Embankent or Waterloo on the northern line will take you close to the london eye and the sealife place (which are beside each other). Beside that hotel you also have Primrose Hill, which is a great viewing spot.

Oyster card is the way to go alright. One other thing, you should check out Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park if you're over then, its well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

You're a legend. Thanks a million! That'll make planning things a lot easier. Thanks for that Winter Wonderland suggestion, sounds enjoyable.

Would I be right in saying then that I take the Tube to Kings Cross and change there to Chalk Farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

You're a legend. Thanks a million! That'll make planning things a lot easier. Thanks for that Winter Wonderland suggestion, sounds enjoyable.

Would I be right in saying then that I take the Tube to Kings Cross and change there to Chalk Farm?

No problem. Nope tube to Leicester Square then change to the northern line northbound in the direction of Edgware. Tfl website is best for planning journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Slightly complicated plan here, and I would welcome any input.

The one constraint that we have is that we need to be on a kayak at Chelsea at 0715 on Saturday 15th September. Long story, I'll tell you another time . . .

Given the ungodly hour we plan on staying in one of the few hotels nearby - either Jurys or the Wyndham, depending on how much we want to splash out.

The problem now is getting there. Mrs Zag was going to fly to LCY and get across from there, but the TfL journey planner is setting out routes at about 50-60 minutes long, involving the Central Line to Notting Hill Gate, or the Picadilly Line at Green Park (my absolute un-favourite station to change lines). It doesn't seem to show connections with the District Line at Westminster and then Earls Court to Parsons Green which should be shorter. Am I missing something ?

Alternatively, to save ourselves a lot of hassle, is there somewhere easier to get to, which is within striking distance of Chelsea Harbour by taxi at that hour of the morning ?

The other option is simply to head in to central London, do stuff, and then head out to the hotel later. That might make it more bearable.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Maybe there are upgrading lines that morning? Or maybe try changing stops by one or two stations, could just be a glitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Yeah if you check the engineering works for the 15th you will see there is no Jubilee, no Circle and only partial District line.

Edit: Re suggestion for somewhere else to get to - you could try DLR & tube to Sloane Sq. just down the Kings Rd from Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks for that. I realised after I posted that I wasn't clear about the days. Getting from the airport to Chelsea is Friday, so I wasn't expecting engineering on a week day.

I'll check out Sloane Square - thanks.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As with car SatNavs, all automated routing algorithms have their quirks/glitches/bugs and the route proposed needs to be treated with a healthy degree of scepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You should check with London Zoo that they're actually open that week and also the other attractions.

Not to burst your bubble but a mate of mine went to London Zoo back in May and wasn't impressed, thought Dublin Zoo was much better and London Zoo is seriously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I've checked and they're all open every day of the year except Christmas Day. I think the Museum is closed on Boxing day as well but it's open every other day.

Thanks for the heads up on the Zoo. I was only looking for something to fill the last day. We might head towards Tower Bridge that day instead so!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

If you can stretch it to an extra night, the New Years Eve firework display is well worth seeing.

While you're out at the Science Museum, you should visit The Natural History Museum too. Its just around the corner. Incredible place.

Its years since I was in Madame Tussauds and I found it very overated, although The Planetaruim next door is worth a look.

Alternatives to London Zoo are Chessington, Thorpe Park and Legoland theme parks. All within easy reach of London with plenty in each to fill a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Want to go over within next couple months, getting cheap flights no problem but hotels, so far find one or two for about over €200 any cheaper even say €100 for 2 nights it's a weekend booking going over on Friday leaving on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Prometheus

Can anyone tell me what is the cheapest way to travel to London and return on the same day. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Petca4 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what is the cheapest way to travel to London and return on the same day. Thanks

There is no copperfastened cheapest way.

It involves a bit of homework when booking flights to find what is cheapest on a given day although Ryanair usually win out, but not always.

The earlier you book in advance the better most of the time.

Don't limit your search to one airport or airline. You'll often find it might be cheaper to fly into Luton with Ryanair and use Gatwick with Aer Lingus or Ryanair for the return leg.

Don't forget to weigh up the costs of travelling from the airport into Central London. If an Aer Lingus flight to Heathrow costs €20 more than a Ryanair flight to anywhere, take it. The extra cost is cancelled out by savings made from travelling from Luton, Gatwick or Stansted.

I do this trip regularly (going this Friday) and find in most cases Ryanair to Luton works out marginally better, but Luton also suits me for the part of London I go to.

Flights to Heathrow and London City airport are always more expensive than the other 3 airports.

Aer Arann use Southend but I wouldn't find this practical for a day trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Prometheus

Thanks for that.
    Lapin wrote: »
    There is no copperfastened cheapest way.

It involves a bit of homework when booking flights to find what is cheapest on a given day although Ryanair usually win out, but not always.

The earlier you book in advance the better most of the time.

Don't limit your search to one airport or airline. You'll often find it might be cheaper to fly into Luton with Ryanair and use Gatwick with Aer Lingus or Ryanair for the return leg.

Don't forget to weigh up the costs of travelling from the airport into Central London. If an Aer Lingus flight to Heathrow costs €20 more than a Ryanair flight to anywhere, take it. The extra cost is cancelled out by savings made from travelling from Luton, Gatwick or Stansted.

I do this trip regularly (going this Friday) and find in most cases Ryanair to Luton works out marginally better, but Luton also suits me for the part of London I go to.

Flights to Heathrow and London City airport are always more expensive than the other 3 airports.

Aer Arann use Southend but I wouldn't find this practical for a day trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

You could consider using www.airbnb.com to book a short term apartment rental.

Used it before for a trip to Chicago, had a whole apartment to ourselves for 2 weeks at a far cheaper price then any hotel.

Another option I've used recently is to fly into Birmingham and get the train down, if you time it right it doesn't take much longer than flying into Gatwick or Heathrow.

You also have to be lucky with trainfares but I got a return from the airport to Euston for less than €20 and that was on one of the fast trains.
    Use www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk to buy your train tickets.

From getting out of the plane you can be at the train station in 15 minutes so it's a lot quicker than in Gatwick or Heathrow.

Might be a bit of hassle for a day trip but can be worth it depending on flight costs to London.

Also depends really on where in London you want to go if it's just a "flying" visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You could also get the 9pm stena ferry from roslare and sail rail to Paddington. This gets you there at about 7:30am, but with little sleep.

The late ryanair flights from luton and gatwick are usually cheap, or you can sail rail home on the 2am ferry.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Could someone tell me why hotels prices in London have absolutely rocketed in London?

I booked 3 nights in the Sofitel St. James Place for about €800 in April.

Looking at reasonably high end 5 star in London now the cost appears to be well over €400 per night. For example the Sofitel is coming in at around €430. Others like the Corinthia Hotel are €500 + per night. Why so?

I don't mind paying a premium for a good 5* hotel but the prices quoted above are from standard rooms in these hotels. Upgrading rooms add another chunk to the cost.

Irish 5* hotels will set you back anything from €180 - €250 per night. It looks like London is double that at the moment.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

The many NAMA-owned hotels in Ireland, with their reduced prices, must be a factor in the lowering of the relative rates.

Also, the exchange rate: the pound has been getting stronger against the euro this year.

However, I have heard anecdotal evidence, plus a news story (I forget where), saying that rental prices in London have been shooting up. Possibly it's the Olympics effect, but there does seem to be a general upward trend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Louche Lad wrote: »
    The many NAMA-owned hotels in Ireland, with their reduced prices, must be a factor in the lowering of the relative rates.

Also, the exchange rate: the pound has been getting stronger against the euro this year.

However, I have heard anecdotal evidence, plus a news story (I forget where), saying that rental prices in London have been shooting up. Possibly it's the Olympics effect, but there does seem to be a general upward trend.

Yea I agree with your comments in relation to Irish 5* hotels. There's a pretty select number of 5* hotels in Ireland and when a handful of them lower their prices the others are forced to follow suit.

The exchange rate is of course a factor but it doesn't account for the increase in likes of the Sofitel from April to now.

On a side note there really are some serious hotels in London!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I'm planning atrip to London next year and having trouble finding a hotel that can accomodate all five of us (2+3). I wonder is short-term rental of an apartment (one week) is an option? Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Gorteen wrote: »
    I'm planning atrip to London next year and having trouble finding a hotel that can accomodate all five of us (2+3). I wonder is short-term rental of an apartment (one week) is an option? Any suggestions?

Try airbnb: https://www.airbnb.com/s/london?checkin=09%2F16%2F2012&checkout=09%2F23%2F2012&guests=5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Gorteen wrote: »

where in South London are you looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Ideally Croydon area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Have you had a look round for some good deals for short breaks or going into a travel agent's to see if they haven't got anything interesting on offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Anyone tell me if the Planetarium has moved. Last time I was there it was next to Madame Tussauds off Baker street. When I Google it now it seems to be in Greenwich

T.

That's a different planetarium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi all, I am travelling to London for 3 nights with my 2 sisters on the first week of November. We are looking for a central hotel that can accommodate 3 adults. We are on a tight budget, so are looking to spend no more than £150 per room per night. It is proving quite difficult to stick to this budget! Our contenders at the moment are the Royal National hotel near Russell Square for £125 per night (I have actually stayed at this hotel before and found it to be ok, but very, very basic) or Jury’s Inn Islington for £159 per night for a superior room.

I know our budget is quite restrictive and we don’t mind basic accommodation, but can anyone recommend a clean, central hotel that will accommodate 3 adults?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

That's a different planetarium.

Is the old one near Madame Tussauds gone?.

T.

Advertisement