Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Hi guys, any help appreciated.

My OH and I have to go to London next weekend 16th-19th. She's from London so getting around will be OK but I'm wondering about accommodation. I've friends in the Canary Wharf area so was thinking about getting a hotel there. Am I mad? Is it quite far out from "central"?

I don't know Canary Wharf but isn't it essentially office buildings and hence dead at the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Louche Lad wrote: »
    I don't know Canary Wharf but isn't it essentially office buildings and hence dead at the weekend?

There is a lot of apartments just outside of the business area.

The hotels are pretty cheap at the weekends and there is a fairly large shopping mall as well. It is also handy for the O2, but could be pretty empty at weekends.

It is only 15 minutes from Bond Street and 7 from Waterloo, so not too far out, as long as you are near the tube station.

There is a good Jamie Oliver restaurant there as well.

I worked at canary wharf for two year and loved it, but weekends may be a bit different. Word of earning though, the tube station is mental between 4 and 6 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Thanks guys, the gf has completely vetoed the idea of Canary Wharf. It is a bit residential but it's fairly cheap and it's where our friends are. Oh well. She wants to stay in between Highgate, Golder's Green, Hampstead Heath general area. Some of the prices are :eek: What can I expect with booking in a week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Cn anyone recommend a nice affordable hotel (kid friendly) near the Lyceum Theatre in the Westend, please and thank you?

http://www.lyceumtheatrelondon.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Hey guys, I'm heading over to London in a few weeks for four days.

Does anyone have any recommendations of somewhere centralish that would be about €350 between two people for the four nights or are we kidding ourselves trying to get something in that budget? It doesn't have to be overly central as long as it's near a tube station so we can get about easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm heading over to London in a few weeks for four days.

Does anyone have any recommendations of somewhere centralish that would be about €350 between two people for the four nights or are we kidding ourselves trying to get something in that budget? It doesn't have to be overly central as long as it's near a tube station so we can get about easily.

Play around with these, basic but clean,

Premier

Travelodge

lastminute

PM if you are unsure about a location

Stay in someone's flat for €276 here (if I've got the maths right!).

Actually, I've no idea if this place is any good or not - I just picked it out at random from airbnb. I've had good experiences with airbnb - I often use then when staying in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Folie a deux

I'm going to London in 2 weeks and I am staying in Holiday Inn Newbury Park. The hotel has good reviews but I have seen people say that the area doesn't have a good reputation. Just wondering how true this is? On the day I leave I need to get a bus at 6.30 am and I am kind of worried about it now after reading that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The only thing you need to worry about in Newbury Park is dying of boredom. Its a quiet residential area in a far corner of East London with a motorway running through it and a few large retail outlets like B&Q and Currys.

I can't understand why anyone would describe the area as having a bad reputation. Nothing happens there to give the place any kind of reputation.

The hotel is a handy 2 minute walk from the tube station which is about half an hour from central London. You might spot a few kids in hoodies hanging around the tube at night but you'll see that everywhere in London. Ignore them.

As for 06.30 in the morning. You'll be fine. The only living thing in Newbury Park at that hour is the early morning commuter traffic into town on the Eastern Avenue Motorway. Its a quiet area. You've nothing to fear. I cannot think of anything good or bad about the place apart from it being a handy place to stay for Stansted Airport or the upcoming Olympics.

Enjoy your trip. You'll be fine here. Bored, but fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Folie a deux

Lapin wrote: »
    The only thing you need to worry about in Newbury Park is dying of boredom. Its a quiet residential area in a far corner of East London with a motorway running through it and a few large retail outlets like B&Q and Currys.

I can't understand why anyone would describe the area as having a bad reputation. Nothing happens there to give the place any kind of reputation.

The hotel is a handy 2 minute walk from the tube station which is about half an hour from central London. You might spot a few kids in hoodies hanging around the tube at night but you'll see that everywhere in London. Ignore them.

As for 06.30 in the morning. You'll be fine. The only living thing in Newbury Park at that hour is the early morning commuter traffic into town on the Eastern Avenue Motorway. Its a quiet area. You've nothing to fear. I cannot think of anything good or bad about the place apart from it being a handy place to stay for Stansted Airport or the upcoming Olympics.

Enjoy your trip. You'll be fine here. Bored, but fine.

Thanks for your help :) The only reason I booked there is because it is, as you said, so close to the tube station. Don't plan on spending any time in the actual area. Will spend the day in central London and then just get the tube back to the hotel to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Hey just looking for some hint or tips on accomodation in London. Really cant be affording the prices im looking at so might consider a nice bed and breakfast, or what would be really cool would be to rent a nice quirky apartment. Id prefare to be in West end, or central london, any hints or tips? What can i expect to pay?

I stayed in a rented apartment in barcelona once and it was excellent. Close to the locals, cheap enough, and quirky. Is there any reputable companies that do this in London also?

Hey just looking for some hint or tips on accomodation in London. Really cant be affording the prices im looking at so might consider a nice bed and breakfast, or what would be really cool would be to rent a nice quirky apartment. Id prefare to be in West end, or central london, any hints or tips? What can i expect to pay?

I stayed in a rented apartment in barcelona once and it was excellent. Close to the locals, cheap enough, and quirky. Is there any reputable companies that do this in London also?

If you can get a quirky apt in the West end for the price of a B&B, let me know where it is and I'll call round and cook you breakfast !!!

I'd appeal to anyone seeking advice on this thread over the coming weeks to be more specific with their details.
    Quite simply - London is due to become the centre of the world for the next few months.

Apart from the usual annual attractions the place has to offer, there is the addition of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations which kick off later this month and last until new Years Eve.

And there is also the little matter of the Olympic Games and Paralympics later this summer.

ALL accommodation and travel to London will be at a premium from early June to late August.

No doubt there are deals to be had. Share them here !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭arch staunton

Is there a Tour company that does bus tours of London,one that travels from Ireland .( a tour that includes all the site and inc accomadation)

Thankm you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Need to get from Stanstead Airport to Kingston Upon Thames and have no idea how to do so. :roll eyes:
    Presuming best option is to get a bus/train into the city centre and then go from there?

How does something like this sound...?
    http://www.kingston.ac.uk/international/guidance-and-advice/pre-arrival-information/getting-to-kingston-university/travelling-from-stansted/

or any other ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks! :)

Need to get from Stanstead Airport to Kingston Upon Thames and have no idea how to do so. :roll eyes:
    Presuming best option is to get a bus/train into the city centre and then go from there?

How does something like this sound...?
    http://www.kingston.ac.uk/international/guidance-and-advice/pre-arrival-information/getting-to-kingston-university/travelling-from-stansted/

or any other ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks! :)

I've used the Stansted Express train a few times and I recommend it.

A tip: get off the Stansted Express at Tottenham Hale, get the Victoria tube line to Oxford Circus, and then the Bakerloo tube line to Waterloo. The reason is it's very easy to change tubes at Oxford Circus (no going up stairs or escalators etc.).

Then there are trains from Waterloo to Kingston (but I don't know the Kingston area so I can't advise you further).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

A tip: get off the Stansted Express at Tottenham Hale, get the Victoria tube line to Oxford Circus, and then the Bakerloo tube line to Waterloo. The reason is it's very easy to change tubes at Oxford Circus (no going up stairs or escalators etc.).

Then there are trains from Waterloo to Kingston (but I don't know the Kingston area so I can't advise you further).

also, there's nobody checking stansted tickets if you get off at tottenham hale. i didn't do it 'cos i needed to get to liverpool street but i'm just throwing it out there, stansted express tickets can be pretty expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

Use TFL Journey planner .. that will give you the best route, all the changes etc
    http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

also, there's nobody checking stansted tickets if you get off at tottenham hale. i didn't do it 'cos i needed to get to liverpool street but i'm just throwing it out there, stansted express tickets can be pretty expensive.

But there might well be someone checking tickets on the train. I remember being asked to show my ticket on the Gatwick Express train. And there was someone in uniform going through the Stansted Express train once.
    Goreygal wrote: »
    Use TFL Journey planner .. that will give you the best route, all the changes etc
    http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

I never knew that TfL's journey planner went out as far as Stansted. Thanks - you learn something every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

But there might well be someone checking tickets on the train. I remember being asked to show my ticket on the Gatwick Express train. And there was someone in uniform going through the Stansted Express train once.

There's always someone checking tickets on the Gatwick, you can buy them onboard as well. I've travelled on the Stansted express about 40 times and wasnever checked for tickets but ya never know, you could be unlucky. I always paid for tickets anyway as I was getting out at Liverpool street as I said.

I was asked to show my ticket for the Stansted Express last week.

On the train - about 2 minutes after it pulled out of Stansted.

Not worth the risk of travelling without one although I agree, they are expensive.

All rail travel in Britain is now. Buying your ticket online in will save a small amount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

Hi all,

Can anybody recommend a clean, quiet and safe hotel/B&B, etc., to stay in London? Am seeking a twin room. Will be flying in and out of Gatwick and would like the room to be handy for public transport, preferably near Victoria St. (I'm thinking that would be best for transport to/from Gatwick?) Would be willing to spend up to €300 for 2 nights but preferably less. Must be ensuite. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

http://londonhotels.jurysinns.com/jurysinn_chelsea
    I find Jurys great to go to. You have free cancellation up to 2pm on the day you check in. It's also near Victoria station. Book your gatwick express on the net, it's about £10 cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

thanks, but that hotel is coming up as 510 euro on hotels.com

will buy the ticket online, thanks for that.

You could try easyHotel Victoria - a few minutes' walk from from the back entrance to Victoria Station (just walk up Belgrave Road). I've only used the easyHotel in Berlin which was clean and quiet, but Belgrave Road has always felt safe from the few times I've walked along there. Downside is that easyHotel don't do twin beds, just double beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cathleencp

I am going to London next week and staying overnight. I will be spending day 1 in the city and need to be in Brunel on the morning of day 2, overnighting somewhere accessible to the Picadilly line. Has anyone any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Anyone know of any hotels or hostels in or near to Clapham in London? Trying to find some accommodation for the heineken cup weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I plan to go to London for a few days in September. Can anyone give me the names of the hotels you have stayed in or areas I should stay in or avoid?
    I was thinking of the earls court area - has any one any hotel they would recomend here?
    Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Can anyone recommend the best spot to park in the vicinity of Twickenham stadium to me a quick escape after a match?

okiss wrote: »
    I plan to go to London for a few days in September. Can anyone give me the names of the hotels you have stayed in or areas I should stay in or avoid?
    I was thinking of the earls court area - has any one any hotel they would recomend here?
    Thanks for your help.

Below is a post from boardsie leahyl, (post 743 in this thread).

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Earls Court - it's the best value we could find cos London's expensive!! It's 65e pp per night.

Here's the link

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?pa=1&pn=1&ps=1&tab=description&destinationId=549499&hotelId=264885&rooms[0].numberOfAdults=2&roomno=1&validate=false&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first#description

Pretty close by tube to the main areas I think (I hope!biggrin.gif)

I can't comment on the hotel, (although a Holiday Inn is a Holiday Inn) but it looks like good value if you can get it at the price leahyl got. Strictly speaking, its closer to boring West Brompton than lively(ish) Earls Court. Although the latter is only a few minutes walk up the road. Around the corner is the Ibis which might also be worth checking out.

There are over a hundred small cheap B&B hotels in the Earls Court area ranging in quality from dingy to very good. It just takes a lot of homework to find out which is which.

Overall Earls Court is a good area. Up until recently, it had a big Australian population, and while there are still a few left, the place isn't as lively as it was since their numbers dwindled. But its well located and in zone 1 for the tube. (West Brompton tube is in Zone 2).

London is a very safe city and there are few places you need to avoid. However, I wouldn't advise staying near some of the larger railway stations, especially Kings Cross, Paddington Waterloo and Victoria. Nothing wrong with the neighbourhoods, but like any large city, the areas around big rail stations tend to attract chancers, pickpockets and beggars and can have an edgy feel to them at night.

By the way, when in September are you planning on going? Bear in mind the Paralympics run until the 9th, so there will still be a high demand for hotel rooms up to then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just wondering if anyone knows how bad the queues are at Wembley Park tube station after a game at Wembley?

Long wait to get moving or...?

Advertisement