Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 alley2020

So what are the best areas to stay in to be near all the action, sites, shops etc? Any suggestions i really dont have a clue :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

alley2020 wrote: »
    So what are the best areas to stay in to be near all the action, sites, shops etc? Any suggestions i really dont have a clue :(

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Earls Court - it's the best value we could find cos London's expensive!! It's 65e pp per night.

Here's the link

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?pa=1&pn=1&ps=1&tab=description&destinationId=549499&hotelId=264885&rooms[0].numberOfAdults=2&roomno=1&validate=false&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first#description

Pretty close by tube to the main areas I think (I hope!:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 johnbaz72

I've never been to Gatwick Airport before but am due to fly there next week. I'm hoping to book a train (First Capital Connect) from there to Victoria Station but am unsure how long I should allow between getting from the plane to the train.

In most airports there can be a lengthy walk from the plane to the arrivals hall. According to the First Capital Connect website the cheaper train tickets cannot be used for a later train...

Anyway, from past experience can anyone advise me how long it should take for me to get from the plane to the train? The flight (Ryanair) is due to arrive at 12.50pm. Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Ryanair fly into the South Terminal, and the train station is more or less in ther terminal

Give youself an hour from landing, so long as it is not next wednesday when there be rumors of industrial action from immigration staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

kcb wrote: »
    Where is the best bar near Cannon Street for Munster game on Saturday?

Answering my own question here (!) but it might come in handy for someone else in future...

We ended up in :

http://www.mustard-bar.com/

Owned by a former Spanish international. There seems to be an unofficial Munster supporters club there for matches!

Note: O'Neills on Cannon St doesn't even have a TV!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

lauratkd wrote: »
    I'm going to stay in London for one night in January and am thinking of booking a hotel on the secret hotels on lastminute.com There seem to be a few nice options; Mayfair, Kensington and near Tower Bridge. Any suggestions as to which area might be better...

Mayfair is the most central of the three areas listed and the most upmarket. Its also the most clearly defined area being located entirely within a boundry formed by Park Lane, Piccadilly, Regent St and Oxford St. Any hotel here will be a good one.

Kensington is located on the western fringe of Central London and covers a wide area so a secret hotel here could range from a cheap room in a crumbling victorian mansion block around the busy Cromwell Rd to a luxurious one overlooking Hyde Park.

Tower Bridge is on the east side of town and generally refers to the area immediately south of the river (the exception being St Katherine's Dock on the other side of the bridge). Its not an area noted for its hotels but the streets around here retain much of the gritty charm of London you won't find in Mayfair or Kensington.

I'd opt for Mayfair. It may be a bit more pricey but worth it if you're only spending one night in London.

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

Just got called for an interview in london next wednesday morning. Its just off fleet street, have never been to london and haven't a clue! Flying from dublin any ideas on which is the best airport to fly into, and the best way of getting from there into the general fleet street area??

Sorry if these are really basic questions, just see the email re interview now and panicking!! Flights are quite expensive at this stage, gatwick seems cheapest, but i believe heathrow may be the handier? Not sure about stanstead or luton. Thanks in advance!

gallyer wrote: »
    Just got called for an interview in london next wednesday morning. Its just off fleet street, have never been to london and haven't a clue! Flying from dublin any ideas on which is the best airport to fly into, and the best way of getting from there into the general fleet street area??

Sorry if these are really basic questions, just see the email re interview now and panicking!! Flights are quite expensive at this stage, gatwick seems cheapest, but i believe heathrow may be the handier? Not sure about stanstead or luton. Thanks in advance!

Gatwick is actually the handiest airport serving the Fleet St area. There are direct trains from the airport to City Thameslink Station. It take about 45 minutes. Take the Ludgate Hill exit out of the station, turn left outside, and Fleet St is right there in front of you.
    This station is also served by trains from Luton Airport Parkway station. It only takes about 5 minutes more but allow an extra 15 - 20 minutes to get to Parkway station from the airport terminal, (there is a shuttle bus).

Heathrow is nearer than Gatwick & Luton but it takes just as long to get to where you want to go by Tube. Temple tube station is currently the closest to Fleet St (Blackfriars being closed for a refit). From Heathrow, change at Earls Court and take the Circle & District Line eastbound from there. I wouldn't bother with the Heathrow Express. It will only take you as far as Paddington from where you will need to continue your journey by tube anyway. Its very overpriced and not worth the extra expense for the few minutes you'll save.

London City Airport is the closest to Fleet St and served by the Docklands Light Rail directly into Bank tube station (2 stops from Temple or a 10 minute walk to Fleet St). Although I'd get a taxi from Bank as the financial district is a maze of little sidestreets and courtyards and easy for a first time visitor to take a wrong turn. However flights to City Airport are likely to be pricey and again, probably not worth the added expense for any time you might save.

Stansted is furthest away but is served by direct trains to Liverpool St Station (45 mins) which is only 6 stops from Temple (Circle Line, westbound). Although I'd recommend a taxi from Liverpool St for the same reasons mentioned above. Its only a 3 or 4 minute drive and you'll have the peace of mind of being dropped at the door without having to look for the place.

Give yourself plenty of time to get to the interview. Fleet St itself is broad enough but as I said above, the surrounding area is a warren of laneways and sidestreets. If the interview is scheduled for early on Wednesday morning, it might be worth getting a flight over the evening before and sussing the place out in advance.

I'd recommend Gatwick as the handiest airoprt for where you need to get to. As transport links go, its practically door to door.

Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

Lapin thanks a million, thats exactly the kind of response I was hoping for, I have flights booked, going over tuesday night, and hopefully i'll do myself justice wednesday morning, thanks a million for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

London: private room in hostel
    I am looking for accomm in London for a w/e in Feb.

Price sensitive, trying to pay 40 stg pn.

Hotels like Ibis / Travelodge / Premier Inn are 70-80 stg, or else the cheaper ones are 20km out.

So I'm looking at private rooms in hostels, preferably en-suite.

I have found some, e.g. St. Christopher inns, but a lot of them mention late bars, parties, etc.

Can anybody suggest any (quiet) hostels with private rooms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

I am off to London on the 29th of December for three nights.

From looking at hotels.com and booking.com, it's gonna be expensive because of the time of year.

Can any suggest a nice 4/5 Star, elegant/boutique/NICE hotel!!

The only requirment is that is must be sub €800 and quite central.

Cheers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

http://www.firmdale.com/london/covent-garden-hotel

That one should fit the bill,it's excellent as is it's sister hotel in soho.

If you want something more funky,theres the newish W

http://www.wlondon.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ticket Booking for Shows and Stuff in London??

There seem to be soo many of them out there all clammering to steal my money somehow.( I assume by their badly laid out websites ). Most strike me as companies who take your money and then hope they get the tickets at a good price and if they don't you get your money back.

I don't want that.

So any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

Ticketmaster is probably the most realiable source online for West End Shows.

There are deals to be had directly with the theatre box office in some cases depending on how long you book in advance.

If you're not fussy about which show you want to see, there is a kiosk on the corner of Coventry St and Whitcomb St (half way between Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square) selling last minute tickets to top shows for top shows for half price. Get there around mid afternoon or the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Hi all
    Will be visiting first week of Jan for 3 nights staying in Balham (near Wandsworth) What would be the cheapest and easiest option to get from Heathrow to Balham and what roughly might be a return tube fare from there to the centre (would like to determine how much id need on oyster card).

Regarding theatre/concerts is there anything worthwhile on around that time?

Have been before seen the main attractions such as the major museums and the eye but I am fairly certain that I missed out on something any recommendations?

Hi all
    Will be visiting first week of Jan for 3 nights staying in Balham (near Wandsworth) What would be the cheapest and easiest option to get from Heathrow to Balham and what roughly might be a return tube fare from there to the centre (would like to determine how much id need on oyster card).

Regarding theatre/concerts is there anything worthwhile on around that time?

Have been before seen the main attractions such as the major museums and the eye but I am fairly certain that I missed out on something any recommendations?

The handiest way from Heathrow to Balham is by tube to Leicester Square, change there and take the Northern Line southbound. Balham is 10 stops away. It will take about an hour and 20 mins. There are quicker ways involving 2 tube changes or British Rail but you'll only save about 10-15 minutes and its not worth the hassle, especially if you have luggage.

The off peak single fare with an Oyster will be £2.90 (£4.80 peak hours).
    Balham is in Zone 3. In 2012, A daily off peak price cap of £7.70 applies to any Oyster fares between zones 1 and 3. In other words, no matter how often you travel from Balham and around central London after 09.30 on any given day, you won't be charged more than £7.70. So if you have 4 full days in London and use the card often, topping up with £35 will see you right. You can always add more at any tube station or newsagents if you travel during peak hours.

Time Out Magazine is the definitive listings guide for whats on in London.

Enjoy your trip !

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mudda3

Hi,

I am planning to bring my daughter to see a show in the Garrick Theatre, Leicester Square, West End. I was thinking about booking the St. Giles hotel which seems to be close to the theatre and Oxford St. Which airport should I fly into and what is the best way to get from the airport to the West End? thanks in advance - I've never been to London before!

mudda3 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am planning to bring my daughter to see a show in the Garrick Theatre, Leicester Square, West End. I was thinking about booking the St. Giles hotel which seems to be close to the theatre and Oxford St. Which airport should I fly into and what is the best way to get from the airport to the West End? thanks in advance - I've never been to London before!

Heathrow, use either Picadilly or Heathrow Express

Picadilly line is cheaper, Heathrow Express is faster but more expensive

mudda3 wrote: »
    Hi,

All the airports have good transport links to the West End but Heathrow is the handiest. The Piccadilly Line on the tube will take you directly from Terminal 1 to Leicester Square without having to change trains. It takes about 45 minutes.
    Your hotel is only a 5 minute walk from here, straight up the Charing Cross Road (with all its wonderful bookshops), and take the second right after the Centrepoint tower.
    Or you could change tubes at Leicester Square and take the Northern Line one stop northbound to Tottenham Court Road. The hotel is just around the corner.

Gatwick is served by by Victoria and City Thameslink Stations, both of which are close to Theatreland.

The Stansted Express train runs dierctly from the airport to Liverpool Street Station. From there, the Central Line on the tube is only 5 stops to Tottenham Court Road. It shouldn't take more than an hour travel time from airport to hotel.

PS.
    Although your hotel is just around the corner from Oxford Street, most of the better known and established shops are at the other end of the street. The Tottenham Court Road end is mainly discount stores and souvenir shops. I'd recommend starting at the other end (Marble Arch or Bond St tube stations) and working your way back for a better first impression of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭eddyk

well theres a few of us heading to london sometime in the start of january. were all students around the 20 mark.
    wondering if anyone has names of good clubs etc. and a very cheap place to stay.
    thanks for the help

• Advertisement

eddyk wrote: »
    wondering if anyone has names of good clubs etc.

Dicey's for the ride. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭loadz

Hi
    I've never been to London before and i was hoping you could give advice as to where to stay in the city centre. My wife and two kids will be going. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cyprusholidays

Sheraton park tower & Quality crown hotel park are good places to stay in London. If you don't bother about the cost..I think these two are the best places as far as I know. Sometimes back I was put up at Sheraton park and my friends were at Quality crown..both are at London and good place to stay with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I think there's a sticky thread here about London. You'll find that there's no one perfect place to stay in London as there are so many variables - budget, access from airport, places you want to see, willingness to spend long times on the underground to get where you want to go, etc . . .

We stayed at the Park Plaza City Hall last year and it was very good - they had a two-room-room which we shared with the kids, tube access (to Wembley) was relatively good, the London Eye was right outside our window, etc . . . However, other times we have been going to other events in other places around London and this wouldn't have suited at all.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

London has an extensive and easy to use underground system so staying totally central is not essential, besides the chances are you will be travelling all over to see the various sights

Where will you be flying into? The can choose a hotel with the easiest links to that airport.

What are you main sight seeing plans in london?

When are you going - lastminute.com has great offers if you are prepared to leave booking late!

Get yourself Oyster cards - cuts the cost of getting round london - see www.tfl.gov.uk

Finally consider the options of an apartment as you are 4.

What is your budget, and what do you want to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

With kids, don't under estimate the amount of energy London sucks out of you and them. It's all fun and games until they are suddenly really tired and just want to get back to their hotel room . . . which involves a 10 minute walk to the tube, a wait for the tube, a 10 minute journey to the centre of London, change at some station in the centre with another 5 or 10 minute walk to the other platforms, where you wait for the next train again, followed by a 20 minute trip out to the outskirts, followed by a 10 minute walk to your hotel. You can easily burn 60-90 minutes on a quiet day just getting from where you are to where you want to be. Try doing that with tired kids and you will soon appreciate the value of a central location.

Of course, if you are interested in going to (say) Kew Gardens and are staying in Kew you don't face this issue, as with staying local to wherever your main area of interest will be.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭burberry

Hi folks travelling to gatwick with my son who wants to go an visit the emirates stadium. were staying near oxford st just wondering whats the best route to take , bus tube, train and how far is it . never been there before. thanks in advance

burberry wrote: »
    Hi folks travelling to gatwick with my son who wants to go an visit the emirates stadium. were staying near oxford st just wondering whats the best route to take , bus tube, train and how far is it . never been there before. thanks in advance

Direct and Simple Way
    Oxford Circus
    Victoria Line tube to Highbury & Islington
    Turn left when you come out of the station into Holloway Road
    10 minutes walk on the right hand side of Holloway Road to the Emirates

Total journey time from Oxford Circus 20 / 25 minutes

Holloway on the Piccadilly line will be a shorter walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭burberry

Direct and Simple Way
    Oxford Circus
    Victoria Line tube to Highbury & Islington