Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Game Permutations & Season Review.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Des wrote: »

good stuff, getting a good reaction also. are u sure we get something or will it just be a team presentation. Gary, do you know that way it works?

lads, just something i thought of. in my first season with boards, Glenwood were in a position going into the last game where if they drew, they won the league. they turned up to play us with only 10 players, we were about 7th in the table but had got a few new players in and were on a bit of a run. we beat glenwood that night 3-0. they lost the league on goal difference.

so, does lightening strike twice!!? anything can happen the next night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

That was my second game for boards. I'm sure they won't make the same mistake twice. Plus, the gap is bloody massive :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    By summer 2010, we'll have switched to weekend football and be planning an assault on the LSL ;)

Would be well up for this if it every happened:rolleyes:

It was mentioned before but there's a lot of things to take into consideration. A few on the team play for other weekend sides. We'd have to train minimum once a week. We'd need a coach or someone to run training sessions. We need a secretary to organise the league side of things. I'm sure Des and someone from team could fulfill these roles but the responsibilty would be way more than one hour on a Tuesday. We'd need a pitch, etc, etc,. A lot of work to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

good stuff, getting a good reaction also. are u sure we get something or will it just be a team presentation. Gary, do you know that way it works?

Any team that wants to attend can do so, they normally have a race night or something as entertainment as well. AFAIR each league gets dealt with in turn, so you have winners, runners up and 3rd place teams. Winners get jumpers/hoodies, medals and a trophy. Second place gets silver medals, and 3rd gets bronze medals. Think they give you about 16 medals per team.

Best defence for each league gets a trophy, as well as best keeper for each league and top scorer for each league. Normally goes on for 2-3 hours in total.

• Advertisement

Cool. First medal since winning league U-13s :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Cool. First medal since winning league U-13s :D

Wait until you win the summer league and you can all turn up for the first game in the winter league in matching winners hoodies :D

When you've been playing as long as I have you'll probably have the same collection. I've got red, navy, light blue, maroon, grey & 2 black hoodie/training tops courtesy of the astro league, always adds a certain air when you warm up as a team with them on!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

My 0.02 from the sideline:

I don't think it is just fitness why we sit back and the late goals and late pressure that we have had shows this true, imo.

How many times have we let a 2-0 lead slip this season? Yet still against Glenwood - the top team, we were the ones pressing on in their penalty box at the end and didn't get the penalty which ultimately looks like costing us top spot with the points swing if we had scored. We were also 1-0 down to an in-form Coca Cola not looking like scoring and turned that around only to be undone by an unstoppable shot, which 999 out of 1000 times, you'd ask him to hit that in the top corner and it would end up on the M50. Also the last 2-0 win at Columbas was a gritty, determined, late flourish

I think of the games I was at, the two worst performances were against the 5-1 defeat at Newpark and the 0-0 draw against Ravenhill early on. That was definitely one point gained.

Oh and it never rained - always a positive from a watching point of view :D

dfx- wrote: »
    Oh and it never rained - always a positive from a watching point of view :D

btw daryll, your commitment to the team is f*cking top notch. its not easy being a GK, i dont know how they do it. it must be frustrating when we have 2 but fair play, your attitude and commitment is the standard for everybody. those who left cos they werent getting games or turn up when it suits (in general, not necessary talkin to us here) would want to take a leaf out of your book. well done.

im sure you will get more chances this summer.

Very true Ed. Daryl has been at almost every game I think. And only played once! Fantastic commitment really. Fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Congrats lads, wasn't following things all that much this year but the standard seem to have gone up a notch or two. Glad to see it

Well done everyone, esp Des(mondo)

ive mailed astro with suggestions about changing the goal difference and also asked about the leave it rule.

was going to mention that 3rock is a sham of a pitch but said i better not....!

What's wrong with the pitch? At least it's flat. Unlike Wesley which we play every game on next season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Is the back pitch in Wesley not flat, hadn't noticed? Is it side to side or end to end or just off in places? Not mad about the surface on it - seems like it's trying to be both a soccer pitch and a hockey pitch but at least it's better than rocks like Columbas I guess.

3rock is a simply terrible pitch. is almost grand during the nice weather we are having now but its a terrible surface. it holds water at the surface and is always drenched along both sides, when there is any rain. then any bit of frost means it freezes over alot quicker than any where else. its a dangerous pitch and ive said that since the first time i played on it.

never noticed a problem with wesley either myself though surface maybe a bit rough.

Jules, next time you go out to Wesley bring a spirit level with you. All the pitches there are not flat.The back pitch has a huge slope on it. From end to end.

Hi Ed,

On the "leave it" rule, it falls under unsportsman like conduct. It is an infringement if it happens in a situation where it can affect the opposition. EG If a player shouts "leave it" or "mine" while on his own in a corner of the pitch it should not be a free. If a player, in a group of players. shouts "mine" or "leave it" and opposition players leave the ball or stop then it should be a free. Those are the two extremes but you get the idea.

The goal difference is a difficult one, we have had different rules over the years. About 5 years, or so, ago ties were decided on head to head encounters. This was very unpopular because teams that had significantly better goal difference were losing leagues because of one/two results. The problem is that not using goal difference steps away from the principals of a league where performance over a sustained period is the deciding factor.

Even with playoffs, players can be missing/suspended etc.. which doesn't guarantee the integrity of the result.

We can see the point that some results are ridiculous and can distort goal difference but these are far more the exception rather than the rule. Ideally we of course would rather walkovers/cricket scores did not occur but we have to make rules for all the teams/divisions we have to go with what we perceive to be the fairest for the most common situations.

As part of a web site redesign we will be introducing forums and team polls etc.. so this will be one of the items up for discussion and possible change.

Regards,

Astro.ie

Thanks for emailing them Ed. That seems a reasonable response and at least they listened and took the time to draft it.

Think we'd all prefer to limit the discretion of the refs given the inconsistent standard, but at least now we know that's how it's judged. Can't for the life of me see how the ref on Monday didn't see that 2 of our players stopped based on the opposition shout, but at least it we know it was just bad judgement as opposed to Astro.ie being unclear about the rules.

So, now we should all be aware of the rule and never stop until we hear a whistle.

On the goal difference I can understand their point that they need a consistent rule across all of their leagues and that at the upper end of the scale walkovers are unlikely and any cricket scores generally well earned. Maybe they could have it 2-tier with play-offs in the lower leagues, but then things get complicated. And at least there'll be the chance to give feedback when they add forums to the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That ref hates us.

I don't know why, but he hates us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I just noticed that glenwood play before us, so if by some miracle Bar Real beat them by a few we'll know exactly what we have to do.

ever the optimist :)

• Advertisement

That's a good response actually. Someone put time into that. I can see their point with regards to whether to use goal difference/playoffs, etc. Even if you did have playoffs that would increase the likelihood of bangers becoming involved as well. I think goal difference is the fairest in a league like this. Some consolation is if a possible tie was to be decided on head-to-head results, we'd still finish second.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

That ref hates us.

I don't know why, but he hates us.

He actually does, it's ridiculous.

WeAreShels wrote: »
    He actually does, it's ridiculous.

It's hilarious, though, the way he calles Jules "Julian" :D

It's hilarious, though, the way he calles Jules "Julian" :D

Thought I'd told you the background to all this? It is NOT for repeating on a public forum but I'll explain it again next week.

Thought I'd told you the background to all this? It is NOT for repeating on a public forum but I'll explain it again next week.

You did, and I remember.

:)

Pm's all round Jules!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Pm's all round Jules!

or over a pint on thursday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Lads, congrats on a great season. Well done to all involved. Hopefully the last game goes to plan for ye.

I would love to get involved in the new season, or at least trialling for you guys and seeing where it goes from there.

What position do you play? Come along to our game Tuesday sure. And Jules, wtf? You have to tell me about that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Centre Midfield. Have played Centre half too for years but that was when I was taller than everyone else, now everyones caught up or passed me out. If anyone here was playing for the soccer forum in the first poker forum game they might know/remember me.

Where is the game on?

Advertisement