Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the Mods on Boards are too harsh?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Im sorry but the modding on here is laughable at best. Handing out 'infractions' to people?? Its like a bloody nursery school. Next youll be made sit in the bold boys corner for saying a swear word. Its like that one mods sig i saw, 'if im typing in bold, it means you have been', for gods sake...'oh no! hes typing in bold! Quick, everyone pretend like you werent messing or we'll get lines!'. Laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

"Random Moderator 1. Thats it your all banned for using omproper punctuation. IM LOCKING THIS THREAD!!! THIS THREADS BANNED! IM BANNED TOO, EVERYONES BANNED, I'LL KILL YOU!! I'LL KILL YOU ALL! BANNED BANNED BANNED. (ohh god, I just want some non-internet friends)."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Yeah gotta love it.

But yeah some mods on the site are very strict, i just don't go to those particular forums. A lot of good ones have been ruined by over zealous mods.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

0ubliette wrote: »
    Im sorry but the modding on here is laughable at best. Handing out 'infractions' to people?? Its like a bloody nursery school. Next youll be made sit in the bold boys corner for saying a swear word. Its like that one mods sig i saw, 'if im typing in bold, it means you have been', for gods sake...'oh no! hes typing in bold! Quick, everyone pretend like you werent messing or we'll get lines!'. Laughable.
    To be fair... a lot of people around here act like they are in primary too, or do you disagree?

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Hogzy wrote: »
    Do you think the Mods on Boards are too harsh?

I approved this poll with Gordon on the Help desk!!!

Yes. They have that reputation elsewhere on the interwebs too.
    Other forums see complaints about the mods becoming 'like boards.ie.'
    I first joined 3 years ago, and was pretty surprised at the swiftness to ban people and so on. Not my cuppa at all. So since then, up until today basically, I've lurked instead. I'd lay odds plenty of people do that.
    I only posted again today because I really wanted some help and advice with a hard drive problem and I know there are knowledgeable people here who might be able to assist me.
    If I didn't have that problem, I'd still be lurking to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

0ubliette wrote: »
    Cmon Wibbs. We know youre in here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I rarely see examples of overly strict moderating - and of the tiny few I have seen, in some cases the decisions have been reversed or the moderator has been told to chill out by other moderators.

What I do see though is condescending, borderline abusive, snide responses to "offenders" by mods. The vast majority of moderators don't behave in that manner, but some do. And it's the same on Feedback threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Yes. They have that reputation elsewhere on the interwebs too.
    Other forums see complaints about the mods becoming 'like boards.ie.'
    I first joined 3 years ago, and was pretty surprised at the swiftness to ban people and so on. Not my cuppa at all. So since then, up until today basically, I've lurked instead. I'd lay odds plenty of people do that.
    I only posted again today because I really wanted some help and advice with a hard drive problem and I know there are knowledgeable people here who might be able to assist me.
    If I didn't have that problem, I'd still be lurking to be honest.

The curious thing is. You posted here in Boards for help, why didnt you post in the other less strict forums across the internet for help? Why are the technical people only located here?

or does the modding help keep the noise ratio down so that people can actually help and inform each other?

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    The curious thing is. You posted here in Boards for help, why didnt you post in the other less strict forums across the internet for help?

Maybe I did?
    Why are the technical people only located here?

Who says they are?
    or does the modding help keep the noise ratio down so that people can actually help and inform each other?

No more and no less than on much better moderated boards, as far as I can tell.

• Advertisement

Who says they are?

honestly I was only going by what you said
    there are knowledgeable people here who might be able to assist me.

No more and no less than on much better moderated boards, as far as I can tell.[/QUOTE]

Like I said it was just a curious thing, if its not your 'cuppa' why did you post here looking for help if you know other less strictly modded forums around that can help just as well?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cmon Wibbs. We know youre in here :pac:
    Watch it you or it's detention for ya.....:p

I was gonna update my sig to "If I'm typing in bold you have been and if I'm typing in red you're 'kin dead", but thought better of it. :)

The bold bit is simply to make it easier to spot a mod post if you're speed reading the thread and not actually reading(as a helluva lot do in PI) and to separate a personal take from a mod action. Hey sometimes I agree with someone, but if it's likely to overly offend the OP or others or is against the charter then..... Plus PI is the most heavily modded forum on here pretty much. It's pretty black and white.

As for it being commented upon by other forums out there... Yep I've heard that too, but how big are they? Don't get me wrong there's a place for all styles of forum out, but clearly people prefer a place where they know there's some restriction on muppetry, even if sometimes it seems ott.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Dudess wrote: »
    What I do see though is condescending, borderline abusive, snide responses to "offenders" by mods. The vast majority of moderators don't behave in that manner, but some do.

I've seen that happen too.

I'm not a particularly violent person, but one particular moderators snide, self important attitude in their responses to anyone that disagrees with or questions their opinion on anything (not moderation decisions or infractions, etc. but anything they post) makes me want to reach through the screen and punch him squarely on the nose.

The rest I've come across all seem pretty decent.

honestly I was only going by what you said

And what I said in no way implied that this was the only place where such help was available.

Like I said it was just a curious thing, if its not your 'cuppa' why did you post here looking for help if you know other less strictly modded forums around that can help just as well?

Because I wanted an answer from a specifically Irish perspective perhaps?
    Because I wanted an answer that was not overly technical?
    Because after a long absence, I languished under the delusion that the complaints about boards modding was perhaps exaggerated?
    Thanks for the welcome, by the way. Now I remember with vivid clarity why I lurked for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Dudess wrote: »
    I rarely see examples of overly strict moderating - and of the tiny few I have seen, in some cases the decisions have been reversed or the moderator has been told to chill out by other moderators.

What I do see though is condescending, borderline abusive, snide responses to "offenders" by mods. The vast majority of moderators don't behave in that manner, but some do. And it's the same on Feedback threads.

There was one mod in particular here on AH (although he doesn't mod AH anymore) who in my opinion took liberties and came across as a real bully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

Would a anonymous poll on who you believe to be the best and worst mods be allowed on this site??Just wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

pipsqueak wrote: »
    Would a anonymous poll on who you believe to be the best and worst mods be allowed on this site??Just wondering?

Doubt it.

That would be like a dictator giving citizens guns to kill him with!*

* No direct comparison between a dictator and some mods was made in this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

It coud be a like a red c poll. I think some mods are very fair and well up on their stuff.(i.e Donegal fella)
    however i feel some are inebriated with the exuberance of their Own verbosity.
    :P

Thanks for the welcome, by the way. Now I remember with vivid clarity why I lurked for so long.

sorry for being curious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

pipsqueak wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a poll on the best but I don't like the idea of a poll on the worst. This doesn't just relate to mods though, it would relate to users as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I wouldn't mind a poll on the best but I don't like the idea of a poll on the worst. This doesn't just relate to mods though, it would relate to users as well.

Yes, but there is a muppet of the year award for users, chosen by the mods. Why not a mod muppet of the year category?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

Originally Posted by Dudess

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

We have a mod on Poker that started out his modding by banning three(?) people on one thread. Luckily we have since got a decent mod to balance the craziness. If I'm banned again for this post then ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

I find it incredible that you have gleaned this insight so quickly for someone so new to boards mr. Soulja boy.

Then you must find a lot of mundane shit incredible. I'm not hiding the fact that i've been here before. I have no reason to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Yes, but there is a muppet of the year award for users, chosen by the mods. Why not a mod muppet of the year category?

No point mordeth would win it every year. :D Seriously though, maybe start a thread in feedback about it and see what the masses say.

Also, I was referring just to after hours not site wide. I do thing issues about poor moderating should be brought up but I don't think after hours is the place for it.

maybe start a thread in feedback about it and see what the masses say.

I have no doubt the masses would agree. Point is, would the mods?

I was having a look at the awards forum the other day and was struck by the relish that some of the mods took in The Muppet of the year award. And wondered at the time how they would react if it was the other way around.

A kind of, you can can give it but you can't take it situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No.

I do sometimes wish some of them (and users) would give over the self-referential, matey discussions of The Modship, especially in front of newer users or in feedback. I can think of few sites where moderators are so discussed and foregrounded, even ironically.

Only a small gripe though. It's a lot of work with scant reward, especially on the troublesome forums, and I have a load of respect for the large majority of mods, especially when they cop abuse from clowns who think they should be on call 24/7, or are somehow extra-culpable for human error or lapses in judgement.

stovelid wrote: »
    No.

I was refering to that award in particular not boards in general.

I have no strong views on mods either way. Have had one run in with a mod. His attitude in the PM exchange p***ed me off, not the infraction. But I just stopped posting in that forum - problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

deadhead13 wrote: »
    I was refering to that award in particular not boards in general.

I have no strong views on mods either way. Have had one run in with a mod. His attitude in the PM exchange p***ed me off, not the infraction. But I just stopped posting in that forum - problem solved.

Sorry deadhead13, I meant No to the original question: Do you think the Mods on Boards are too harsh?.

• Advertisement

I had a strange thing happen to a "tail end charlie" post, for about four months the contents were OK then the thread was bumped and a (new) mod edited it! :confused:

I just put it down to a "new broom" being a bit overzealous.

Advertisement