Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the Mods on Boards are too harsh?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

Would this thread be better off in Feedback ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

trout wrote: »

Dunno, i put it in after hours for the traffic it would get, putting it in feedback might lessen the traffic as no one goes into that forum

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hogzy wrote: »
    Dunno, i put it in after hours for the traffic it would get, putting it in feedback might lessen the traffic as no one goes into that forum
    Actually agree with you, in that it'll get wider crowd, though from an AH angle. I have to say though feedback gets a fair bit o traffic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

trout wrote: »

Just out of couriosity - why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually agree with you, in that it'll get wider crowd, though from an AH angle. I have to say though feedback gets a fair bit o traffic.

I consider AH a neutral forum, everyone (who is anyone) will pay AH a visit at some time or another...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well shít I'm here and Terry's out there somewhere, so.......:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I think the mods have enlisted help for this one! What happened to one ballot one vote!

I imagined the yes would win by a majority

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Just out of couriosity - why?

It just seems like a Feedback thread to me ... and genuine feedback at that, with viewpoints coming from all sorts.

It's fine in AH too ... just less likely to be treated as actual feedback, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 NaZionist

Hogzy wrote: »
    AH Charter wrote:
    Larger audience
    - Posting on AH simply "to reach a larger audience" may result in a ban. The thread will be moved/deleted. If your thread is more suited to another board then please post it there. After Hours is to discuss non-specific topics and issues in a general way.

I hope there are no harsh mods about. :pac:

* Yeah I know this might be called back seat modding but if there are no harsh mods about I might be alright. ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think the mods have enlisted help for this one! What happened to one ballot one vote!

I imagined the yes would win by a majority
    Perhaps you were ... um, whats they word I'm looking for, oh yes... wrong, thats the one :p

Also, I love the logic where by if it doesnt come out as you expected, that kinda implies something dodgy has gone on behind the scenes... :)
    I can simply edit poll results to read as I want them to read in fact, so I wouldnt need a posse. Perhaps and I know this is going out on a wild limb here... perhaps people are actually happy with things here... which would explain its extraordinary busyness, no? Yeah you're right, thats mad.... I actually operate all those other accounts that post here.

Its just you and me mate.

Cos I'm lonely.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's the liberals and conspiracy theorists who are usually the worst.

Even worse than drunken mods.
    DeVore wrote: »
    I love the logic where by if it doesnt come out as you expected, that kinda implies something dodgy has gone on behind the scenes...
    Hate conspiracy theorists.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm here too DeV!

Signed
    DeVore Beruthiel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Perhaps you were ... um, whats they word I'm looking for, oh yes... wrong, thats the one :p

Also, I love the logic where by if it doesnt come out as you expected, that kinda implies something dodgy has gone on behind the scenes... :)
    I can simply edit poll results to read as I want them to read in fact, so I wouldnt need a posse. Perhaps and I know this is going out on a wild limb here... perhaps people are actually happy with things here... which would explain its extraordinary busyness, no? Yeah you're right, thats mad.... I actually operate all those other accounts that post here.

Cos I'm lonely.

DeV.

WTF? Fair enough lol. was not thinking that seriously or logically. Just ment as banter

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think the rules on a certain forum from which I've been recently banned are too strict and are poorly (inconsistently) applied. But that's ok, I won't complain. Instead I'll utter snide, petty but non-bannable remarks until I eventually forget that I've been wronged. Although the unreliable letter of the law means I'll be walking a tight-rope. It's going to be dangerous, I won't lie to you. I could end up perma-banned for making rude comments about Perma Clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭hurdehur

the_syco wrote: »

Who are the worst? Perhaps the answer is Mod Goggles! (Moggles?) A test to see how drunk or hungover a mod is before they are allowed to log in to their mod account. Boards.ie could invent their own questions for the test. (How much fun would that be!) An Irish solution to an Irish problem! It would only be in action from 5pm to 11:30am for late hours, of course.

Ok, ok, it would have to be for everyone but obviously the User Goggles (Uggles?) test would have to be easier. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nowye'retalkin

Cos I'm lonely.

DeV.

So there is just three of us on this site :( That's a bit of a bummer. I was getting to like all the people, well you I suppose :(

hurdehur wrote: »
    Who are the worst? Perhaps the answer is Mod Goggles! (Moggles?) A test to see how drunk or hungover a mod is before they are allowed to log in to their mod account. Boards.ie could invent their own questions for the test. (How much fun would that be!) An Irish solution to an Irish problem! It would only be in action from 5pm to 11:30am for late hours, of course.

Ok, ok, it would have to be for everyone but obviously the User Goggles (Uggles?) test would have to be easier. ;)

Oh, I left one out. Grumpy Mod Goggles. (Gruggles?).

Boards.ie is our only big board in the country atm but the lack of respect towards the users here is both shameful and bad business.

Do the PTB here think that no-one will ever set up www.boardssucks.ie or the equivalent? Lets face it, it's what this forum needs because it has so many unshaven edges. I am a member of several international forums (Yip-effin-ee, right?)and I am embarrassed at the moderation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

the_syco wrote: »
    It's the liberals and conspiracy theorists who are usually the worst.

We're not all that bad...

Its been a couple of weeks (i think) since I've last done some drunk modding :)

Rabies wrote: »
    We're not all that bad...

I have found there are good drunk mods and not-so-good drunk mods. As a whole over the interwebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rabies wrote: »
    It's good if the drunk modding is remembered... it's when you don't remember it that the problems start ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Never had a problem with any of them tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

galwayrush wrote: »
    Never had a problem with any of them tbh.

That's because you've never had anything interesting to say. And the rest of you just shut up, OK?

We don't want any opinions around here, OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

He is, but only in relation to thinking that the majority of votes would be yes ones. This poll result is by no means good news for boards.
    I can simply edit poll results to read as I want them to read in fact, so I wouldnt need a posse.

Perhaps the chap was tongue in cheek? I doubt anyone seriously thinks that you of all people (or anyone tasked with moderation here-due to an audit trail) would be either vain or dumb enough to edit a poll like that.
    Perhaps and I know this is going out on a wild limb here... perhaps people are actually happy with things here...

I'm sure many of them are. I know there is much about boards to love, and much which causes frustration. Some of the latter comes with the territory, but more is eminently fixable.

Leaving the atari whatsits aside (as well as the people who simply aren't here any more to express concern, be they users-or quite a few mods now as well), the poll results represent 65% of users who are not fully happy with the moderation of moderation on the site.

(I have to say at this point, that the AH mods should be held up as an example of how to strike the right balance-the occasional faux-pas outside, they have it pretty much spot on in my book).
    which would explain its extraordinary busyness, no?

Possibly. I'm sure you're well aware of the concept of critical mass too, which one shouldn't rule out when pointing to the success of boards.ie in relation to new signups, as well as people who stick around primarily because there are many others who do precisely that, because many of their peers are here, because the knowledge base that boards represents is too large to simply walk away from?

It's human nature to defend ones own patch, and lets face it, it is worth defending :)

However it would be folly to assume that all is well simply because a critical question is not met with an overwhelming endorsement of that criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

That's because you've never had anything interesting to say.

Harsh :( but fair.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i think any thread with R******n or F*r****rs takiong the d**e etc should be delted and the poster gets a propper telling of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I feel sorry for mods instead of thinking they are harsh. I imagine they have to put up with a lot of crap going through comments on these forums. Being on the pc all day cant be much fun I can imagine. Fair play to ye all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol

580313Capture.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Heres an example of what i was talking about
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055519645&page=3

Mod locks the thread for no real reason, if people are replying to threads and they're not breaking any rules, then why lock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Heres an example of what i was talking about
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055519645&page=3

Mod locks the thread for no real reason, if people are replying to threads and they're not breaking any rules, then why lock it?

Maybe someone "reported" it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Zadkiel wrote: »
    Maybe someone "reported" it

Or maybe it was a dumbass thread about some random lonely perv that should never have been started in the first place?

Advertisement