Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the Mods on Boards are too harsh?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Piste wrote: »
    I think some mods take moderating way too seriously and have absolutely no tolerance for the thread even going a little off topic.

Correct, this is the only forum I ever have issues with the mods. Take for example this condescending taunt from one of the Mods:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59434253&postcount=96

Seeming to imply that what I said was really stupid.

It's a subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) bullying I see everyday from these people. When you catch them at it, report the post as an infraction of the charter. let them see what it feels like to be on the receiving end.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

Fuck da mods
    anarchy in boards.ie
    etcetera etcetera etcetera

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Correct, this is the only forum I ever have issues with the mods. Take for example this condescending taunt from one of the Mods:

It's a subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) bullying I see everyday from these people. When you catch them at it, report the post as an infraction of the charter. let them see what it feels like to be on the receiving end.

Actually Dragan doesn't mod AH, here he is a regular poster just like you and that post was phrased in a way that wasn't even remotely bullying or condescending, he just asked you clarify what you said.

I would certainly hope so.
    you know the site is successful when people get passionately angry about it.

Edit the post i was responding to vanished lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Actually Dragan doesn't mod AH, here he is a regular poster just like you and that post was phrased in a way that wasn't even remotely bullying or condescending, he just asked you clarify what you said.

Yeah right...:rolleyes:

Do you have difficulty understanding the words "true speech"???

He's got Moderator in his info panel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Eh, he doesn't mod this forum so I don't see what the problem is. He could have phrased his post in a much nicer way but their is no rule about being nice to others.
    He's got Moderator in his info panel.

See the "mod: Nocturnal forum" in his info panel. That is the forum he mods. Outside of that forum he has no mod powers. I have banned mods before from the forums I mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

But what you said was "Wanky ****in bull**** -"

Which could come across as stupid really, maybe if you included the posts before and after?
    /peeps could make a decision.
    /Mod's are only mods on the forum that they mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Dragan wrote: »
    60% would be the majority, no?:pac:
    Er, don't get jokes much? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Who thought this thread was a good idea?

Oh, A Mod.

Great idea!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Hogzy, the OP, is not a mod, as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

This thread should be sticked in every forum, and no mod/admin be able to see it.
    it would soak up a lot.

Of,???

nonsense, balderdash, claptrap, twaddle, blather; dross, rubbish; informal hogwash, baloney, tripe, jive, bilge, bull, crap, bunk, poppycock, piffle, bunkum.

AKA, forum drama.

Google much.
    /you forgot ^^^^Shoite.

/no,actually you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Soulja boy wrote: »
    nonsense, balderdash, claptrap, twaddle, blather; dross, rubbish; informal hogwash, baloney, tripe, jive, bilge, bull, crap, bunk, poppycock, piffle, bunkum.

AKA, forum drama.
    Well done.
    Here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

*searches the thread for any mention of himself*

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

irish_bob wrote: »
    they are overwhelmingly politically liberal which means they clamp down very quickly on politically incorrect posts
    That might be because they are "incorrect". The hint is in the name.

They might be liberal to you but go over to Indymedia and we're fascists. No, seriously...!

Again you speak of the Mods as if we are one 700 headed animal, the politcal spectrum of the mods is very very wide in fact but normalised around the "social democrat" average of the irish populace. That will be because they are in fact, mostly drawn from there.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That logic is so perfect that I find it absolutely irrefutable:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

True but don't encourage him for feck sake!:D Awaits oppression.......

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Terry wrote: »
    Well done.
    Here.
    im not defending the mods. I think that any editorial intrusion even a necessary one damages a forums feel.
    whining about the mods is just as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

no editorial intervention = 4chan or worse.

Thats not something I want to put my time into let alone take risk for...

DeV.

Thats like saying no one should go swimming because someone was once killed by a shark.

I have found that asking people not to post some **** works better then editing their posts and telling them what to do.
    4chan is one end of the spectrum. theres bad stuff at the other end too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭hurdehur

I think some mods take moderating way too seriously and have absolutely no tolerance for the thread even going a little off topic, I see this quite noticably in the Ladies lounge. Also some mods are quick to lock threads that they feel are going no where, despite that many posters might not be finished discussing the topic of the thread. I think moderators overstep the mark there, it's not our place to decide when a conversation is finished, unless it has degenerated into flaming and trolling.

I also don't like moderators who give lip to posters who query their action. Quite often the poster feels they were treated unjustly because the mod hasn't given a reason why they were infracted/banned. If I infract or ban someone I always PM them letting them know exactly why. If they broke a rule that may seem nonsensical then I explain why the rule is in place, I very rarely get a hostile reaction, generally people just apologise and don't make the same mistakes again.

It really gets up people's noses when moderators respond with a curt "if you have a problem with my moderating take it to feedback", it makes posters feel brushed aside. Even rephrasing it into "I know you feel you were treated unfairly but we shouldn't drag this thread off topic by arguing who was right or who was wrong, if you'd like to start a thread in the feedback forum I'd be wlling to discuss this with you" is much less likely to annoy people than being flippant.

Great post, Piste. Up with that kinda thing! Can't believe you're not 18 yet after writing a post like that. Gives ya hope for the youth of this country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Ah most are alright. Some are just irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Most are fine,but on forums like the politics,PI and humanities forum,were mods should be non-bias and neutral,the mods reprimand people for having differing opinions then themselves,its quite scandalous really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I am not a Mod of AH. I am just a poster here. If you post bollix then i am entitled to ask you to clarify that bollix.

What is "true speech" anyway?

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Most are fine,but on forums like the politics,PI and humanities forum,were mods should be non-bias and neutral,the mods reprimand people for having differing opinions then themselves,its quite scandalous really

Generally the posters in there are gross parodies with polarized political views as well. Not a realistic view in the bunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

The less power you give someone the more inclined they are to behave irrationally with it. The mods here are no different. Most of them enjoy behaving arbitrarily, many of them ignore their own charter and can't or refuse to understand basic English. Unfortunately there's no comeback but the joke is on them. I have nothing but contempt for most of them to be honest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Soulja boy wrote: »
    Generally the posters in there are gross parodies with polarized political views as well. Not a realistic view in the bunch

I find it incredible that you have gleaned this insight so quickly for someone so new to boards mr. Soulja boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I find most mods very easy. Couple of drinks and theyll agree to anything. I dont even need the chloroform

Advertisement