Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the Mods on Boards are too harsh?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

'' Getting to know you , getting to know all about you ''

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eoinsku

Generally I find that any display or wit or personality is frowned upon, as they quote the 'unhelpful nature of the post'...

After all, isn't a forum a place of free speech? Fair enough, remove the racist / idiotic comments, but everyone surely can appreciate a witty comment...

Lighten up ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Pun

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Eoinsku wrote: »
    Generally I find that any display or wit or personality is frowned upon, as they quote the 'unhelpful nature of the post'...

After all, isn't a forum a place of free speech? Fair enough, remove the racist / idiotic comments, but everyone surely can appreciate a witty comment...

Lighten up ffs!
    No free speech here, I'm afraid.
    Blame the government and their publisher is responsible for libel laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think some mods take moderating way too seriously and have absolutely no tolerance for the thread even going a little off topic, I see this quite noticably in the Ladies lounge. Also some mods are quick to lock threads that they feel are going no where, despite that many posters might not be finished discussing the topic of the thread. I think moderators overstep the mark there, it's not our place to decide when a conversation is finished, unless it has degenerated into flaming and trolling.

I also don't like moderators who give lip to posters who query their action. Quite often the poster feels they were treated unjustly because the mod hasn't given a reason why they were infracted/banned. If I infract or ban someone I always PM them letting them know exactly why. If they broke a rule that may seem nonsensical then I explain why the rule is in place, I very rarely get a hostile reaction, generally people just apologise and don't make the same mistakes again.

It really gets up people's noses when moderators respond with a curt "if you have a problem with my moderating take it to feedback", it makes posters feel brushed aside. Even rephrasing it into "I know you feel you were treated unfairly but we shouldn't drag this thread off topic by arguing who was right or who was wrong, if you'd like to start a thread in the feedback forum I'd be wlling to discuss this with you" is much less likely to annoy people than being flippant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eoinsku

Terry wrote: »
    No free speech here, I'm afraid.
    Blame the government and their publisher is responsible for libel laws.

OK, I'll update my post:

remove the racist / idiotic / libellous comments

surely wit is still allowed (as long as it's not racist / idiotic / libellous, that is)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

The question you need to ask is why are they modding in the first place?
    --->

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Wit is almost always allowed, welcome even! It's just in PI some people might be sensitive or vulnerable and a witty retort really isn't helpful. You might think you're a comedic genius but it'd be very annoying for a person who is seeking genuine advice to see a thread full of gobsheens thinking they're comedians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I think people need to realise that this is an internet forum.

Eoinsku wrote: »
    OK, I'll update my post:

remove the racist / idiotic / libellous comments

surely wit is still allowed (as long as it's not racist / idiotic / libellous, that is)...
    It's allowed in AH. Even encouraged.
    Some forums are for very specific things and people try to deal with things in a professional manner. The general user base there might not appreciate wit, so it's frowned upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Personally, I have little or no time for wit.

Ah poor wit .What's he done now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

latchyco wrote: »

Lost his sense of humour?

trout wrote: »
    No, you're just not very good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

K4t wrote: »
    No, you're just not very good at it.

PMSL

latchyco wrote: »
    Dunno.
    Funny you should say that though.
    With the way things are going , we will just have to do without him.

/RIP Wit.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

too harsh in some places, and often not harsh enough in after hours... and yes i know that's the forum where not anything goes not not far off it blah blah blah...

just my two cents :)

PMSL
    Sarcasm truly is the lowest form of wit.

There's a mod I've got to know recently called Terry who is very much an unknown quantity as of yet. I'll keep an eye on him/her.
    Ahh. I see you have just discovered AH.
    Have fun.

Dunno.
    Funny you should say that though.
    With the way things are going , we will just have to do without him.

/RIP Wit.:(
    Ah...

'' cant live ,if living is witout youoooooooooo '' :(

rip wit

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    Ahh. I see you have just discovered AH.
    Have fun.
    And I've made a fair few posts too :eek: You don't do anything half hearted do you, Terry? I feel this relationship is going blossom over the coming years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Waterford Institute of Technology ?

Yeah, it's a bit of overkill.
    They only need to know how to service a Massey Fergeson.

Sarcasm truly is the lowest form of wit, because I don't get it.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Well I was warned for calling someone 'tedious' once. Quite rightly I might add. That kind of language is outrageous and has no place here. I deeply regret my actions now.

It won't happen again, probably because anyone who didn't vote no will be banned for infinity.:(

;)
    PMSL

Well I was warned for calling someone 'tedious' once. Quite rightly I might add. That kind of language is outrageous and has no place here. I deeply regret my actions now.

It won't happen again, probably because anyone who didn't vote no will be banned for infinity.:(
    Not from AH.
    I'm a yes man.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Most of them seem ok.... except that AlmightyCushion. He banned me twice just for kicks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

javaboy wrote: »
    Most of them seem ok.... except that AlmightyCushion. He banned me twice just for kicks.
    I'm really just a big softy.

I'm really just a big softy.
    The post alone is just cause for another ban imo.

• Advertisement

I tested the boundries by calling somebody ( non poster ) a nasty name .And I thought '' hmm that ( caution) will never happen to me '' .

But it did and rightly so to . :(

psst - pissed at the time

Advertisement