Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Hmm. A collapse in China is serious. This could take a while to ride out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Just put on a 100 euro bet that bank of Ireland shares wouldnt drop to 10cent at any stage in the next 2 years

How safe do ye think my money is!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

When the prom notes get mopped up by BoI this year, then the way will be clear for dividend payments in late 2016 or 2017 etc.

With the resumption of dividend payments, more institutional stock holders will be able to buy BoI.

This will (IMO) steady the SP.... as the institutional holders will displace the flaky hedgies and short sellers who have been driving the SP up and down.

Once these institutional holders are on board... I think the SP will steady up and we should see a nice climb into the low to mid 40's (hopefully).

For the next 12 months... I think the SP will hover around the upper 30's, 36 39c range etc. I was hoping for 40c by year end... and while it may touch 40c in the next few months... the problem is staying there. But too many short sellers in the stock in my opinion who keep driving it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

ABC101 wrote: »
    W.

For the next 12 months... I think the SP will hover around the upper 30's, 36 39c range etc. I was hoping for 40c by year end... and while it may touch 40c in the next few months... the problem is staying there. But too many short sellers in the stock in my opinion who keep driving it down.

I agree.there seems to be a lot of selling pressure once the SP starts getting to 38.5 territory.

BOI Divs forecast by Davy

So Davy are forecasting BOI to have divs of 0.93c next year and 1.54c in 2017

I think that might be overdoing it, but welcome to see a figure put out there. Hope to see a slight bounce in mondays open on this news

• Advertisement

The title of the article is very misleading... payout of 93 c a share!!!!!! whooppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

But then further down.... it is 0.93 cent....

Ah well... anybody can be out a decimal point or two!!!

If I had the money I would be buying more shares... but alas, maybe next year I will get some spare dosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Just put on a 100 euro bet that bank of Ireland shares wouldnt drop to 10cent at any stage in the next 2 years

What were the odds....that is a certainty
    If anything, the share price will go up but market capitalization will grow slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

daheff wrote: »
    BOI Divs forecast by Davy

So Davy are forecasting BOI to have divs of 0.93c next year and 1.54c in 2017

I think that might be overdoing it, but welcome to see a figure put out there. Hope to see a slight bounce in mondays open on this news

Davy's are the first to put a number on a dividend but the restoration in H216 has been touted for a good while now. They, and others have a target price of 43c or so, yet the price stays stubbornly below 38c. it would be great to see something move the price on but I suspect more waiting will be required.
    Early 2016 will be the crucial time.

The title of the article is very misleading... payout of 93 c a share!!!!!! whooppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

But then further down.... it is 0.93 cent....

Ah well... anybody can be out a decimal point or two!!!
    I saw that and had to take a double take...sure thats more than 2.5x the current price!! double my money and still have shares....oh wait..they are off by a factor of 100...never mind:(
    lucky john wrote: »
    Davy's are the first to put a number on a dividend but the restoration in H216 has been touted for a good while now. They, and others have a target price of 43c or so, yet the price stays stubbornly below 38c. it would be great to see something move the price on but I suspect more waiting will be required.
    I know divs have been mentioned for a while now....but Davys are one of the main commentators on BOI...so their talk of a div should put investors on alert!

I think that another good set of results would help here...but until divs are formally announced I think that a 38/39/40c ceiling will stay in place.

What were the odds....that is a certainty
    If anything, the share price will go up but market capitalization will grow slowly

Evens

• Advertisement

Interesting article here.... most of you may have read it already...

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/cantillon-exane-bnp-paribas-report-puts-boucher-before-masding-1.2395035

Target price of 43c for BOI...

I hope Mr Boucher is in steady health.... if he has to resign.... I think it would act as a negative to the SP for a while.

However BOI has gone through the fire... the choppy water has been passed and it should be a more steady time for the bank now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

They're selling their branches and leasing them at a 6.46% yield. They must be desperate for cash.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/four-boi-branches-for-8-75m-1.2390036

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Interesting article here.... most of you may have read it already...

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/cantillon-exane-bnp-paribas-report-puts-boucher-before-masding-1.2395035

Target price of 43c for BOI...

I hope Mr Boucher is in steady health.... if he has to resign.... I think it would act as a negative to the SP for a while.

However BOI has gone through the fire... the choppy water has been passed and it should be a more steady time for the bank now.
    Ffing bolix and his cronies duped a lot of descant shareholders out of their real hard earned money. Short memories.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Ffing bolix and his cronies duped a lot of descant shareholders out of their real hard earned money. Short memories.

Sorry to hear you got burnt previously.

Was it not Brian Goggin who was the chief then?

Regardless of your feelings for Boucher ( justified or not) I believe Wilbur Ross and Co told the Irish Govt that they would not invest in BoI in 2011 if Boucher was forced to resign by the Irish Govt.

Hence my comment about the markets perception of Mr Boucher.

Sorry to hear you got burnt previously.

Was it not Brian Goggin who was the chief then?

Regardless of your feelings for Boucher ( justified or not) I believe Wilbur Ross and Co told the Irish Govt that they would not invest in BoI in 2011 if Boucher was forced to resign by the Irish Govt.

Hence my comment about the markets perception of Mr Boucher.

I concur that Boucher is a master strategist to inflate perceived market value of boi! Goggin saw the boom to bust but Boucher diluted the shares and flogged them to the existing already badly burned shareholders at inflated value. Genius really!

Not very. You might as have drunk it.

I concur that Boucher is a master strategist to inflate perceived market value of boi! Goggin saw the boom to bust but Boucher diluted the shares and flogged them to the existing already badly burned shareholders at inflated value. Genius really!

Shareholder loses money and is annoyed at institution and not himself for losing money.

Maybe I'm just a capitalistic prick but is it not fair that if the value of my investment can go up, it can also go down.
    If you're not willing to take that risk, maybe the post office would be a better bet next time.

Well in fairness ..... Boucher would not have been the first.

Royal Imtech.... Shares were worth 22 euro at one time...then collapsed to 1.47 euro... then more shares printed / released (rights offering).

Then SP collapsed to 1 cent.... then a 500:1 consolidation.... so for every 500 shares you owned... you now owned 1 share...but it was worth 5 euro.

Royal Imtech SP is now worth 4 cent.....and in effect worthless....the company is effectively bankrupt.

I'm down money on some stock... but because I have diversified into other stocks which are up.....I am in effect even.

Shareholder loses money and is annoyed at institution and not himself for losing money.

Maybe I'm just a capitalistic prick but is it not fair that if the value of my investment can go up, it can also go down.
    If you're not willing to take that risk, maybe the post office would be a better bet next time.

Boucher has proven himself to neither care for the shareholders interests or the bank customers interests. He maximises his main interest. Richie Boucher. I believe him to be a sociopath. Bank of Ireland share may yet prove to be worthless. End of year accounts and manipulated media reporting have historacly proved to be cleverly orchestrated under vouchers tenure. But having said that I do agree with you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Sabre Man wrote: »
    They're selling their branches and leasing them at a 6.46% yield. They must be desperate for cash.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/four-boi-branches-for-8-75m-1.2390036

Not really. It's just cheaper than having them on-balance sheet and being required to raise/hold capital against them under Basel III rules. You'll find banks everywhere are doing the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Hi just wondering if anyone has any advice for me, i bought BOI shares in april 2013 for 0.16 cent, i have 21,300 shares. what would most people do.? are they going to rise anymore than 36 cent?

Do ya need the money?

In 20 years they will be worth more.

How much more is what makes investing fun :)

no , not really , id like tosell in about 10-12 years though

what would u think ?

If ya can wait. Then wait.

I'll probabaly get slated for this, but economics generally follow a cycle. Good times, roll on to bad times roll on to good times.

Wait for the good times and sell.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone has any advice for me, i bought BOI shares in april 2013 for 0.16 cent, i have 21,300 shares. what would most people do.? are they going to rise anymore than 36 cent?

Personally if it's was me I'd sell some shares to recover your initial investment, then what's sitting there in bank of Ireland isn't risking any of your initial investment.
    Will they rise in the long term, definitely but it could also fall just as easy as it rose, although at the moment the chance of that happening at the moment is small.
    I don't see their rise over the past three-four years repeating itself over the next four years. They've to rise another 24c before they reach their highest previous market cap and I don't think they'll have reached that market cap by then.

grand, il prob leave them there so and forget about them, who knows might get another celtic tiger in 20 years time!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Dickie10 wrote: »

granted, the share price has been a bit disappointing this year but be patient. as an investment boi will be completely different this time next year. it should be transformational for the share price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

I want to buy €1000 worth of BOI shares. What exactly do I have to do?

I realise that this is probably an idiotic post, but I just want to know where I can get set up with minimal fees so I can start making my money work for me.

I'm also aware that €1000 isn't a lot, but it is what I'm prepared to sink in at this moment in time.

Edit: Just found one of the other threads. Ignore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

80s Child wrote: »
    I want to buy €1000 worth of BOI shares. What exactly do I have to do?

I realise that this is probably an idiotic post, but I just want to know where I can get set up with minimal fees so I can start making my money work for me.

I'm also aware that €1000 isn't a lot, but it is what I'm prepared to sink in at this moment in time.

Edit: Just found one of the other threads. Ignore

What thread did you find it on?

Advertisement