Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The After Hours Everything Google Street View Is Now Live In Ireland....I see ya.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I thought that this was only for cities and towns. One of those cars drove past me today but I live out in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

One of the red cars drove past me the other day in Swords. I thought it was a camera crew filming a movie or something.

Then again, who would want to film a movie in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

pd101 wrote: »
    I thought that this was only for cities and towns. One of those cars drove past me today but I live out in the middle of nowhere.

As crazy as it sounds, they do need to drive to towns and cities. The cars don't get helicopter dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Pikeirl

Spotted one in Glasson, Co Westmeath, this morning. So they really seem to do rurual Ireland now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Spoke to the driver took photos of it myself. He said there is 12 cars doing the whole country but it will take them about 5 months more to complete.
    November? I was hoping it'd be up and running sooner than then. :( Ah well, better late than never I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Rabies wrote: »
    As crazy as it sounds, they do need to drive to towns and cities. The cars don't get helicopter dropped

It would be a very roundabout way of going between two towns where he passed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My friend got snapped on the Belfast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Source: Silicon republic

We should try and get as many boardsie's to appear on there holding up signs with "I can see Yore Ma".

excellent idea...that way we have a pic and an address to shoot these a55holes and finally eliminate the worst phrase on boards "yore ma".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

excellent idea...that way we have a pic and an address to shoot these a55holes and finally eliminate the worst phrase on boards "yore ma".

That's a good idea!

NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's been seen in Mayo, but I assume that it was just passing through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

wish they would update the satellite imagery of Mayo first before driving every road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

murfie wrote: »
    wish they would update the satellite imagery of Mayo first before driving every road!!
    Yeah, they've very little on the west of Ireland. :( I'm sick of having to check my roof for damage the boring way.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭AdamusAdonis

I was caught on the camera leaving my estate in Leixlip about a month ago.
    Apparently they were around Dundalk too :)

Any idea when they'll be live?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Aaaahhh Google passed me while I was having a driving lesson, I almost drove into a ditch looking at the weird car with cameras on top...

My poor little dented car will be famous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I was in Cork last week and the google car drove by me and like 8 other guys I was there with.

There was some shouting and "OMG WE'RE ON GOOGLE STREET VIEW", since everyone I was with was a massive nerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheRealBoss

It was in Abbeyleix today !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

It was in Abbeyleix today !!
    Probably still there knowing the traffic in that place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 OldChopShop

Pygmalion wrote: »
    OMG WE'RE ON GOOGLE STREET VIEW
    And why would you want to be on google streetview?This street view is a disgraceful invasion of privacy, but since when did the bebo crowd ever care about privacy?

ChopShop wrote: »
    And why would you want to be on google streetview?This street view is a disgraceful invasion of privacy, but since when did the bebo crowd ever care about privacy?

What? Google streetview is a wonderful tool. Also it's not showing anything that you couldn't see just by walking down a particular street. It's hardly peering into peoples living rooms or into their backgardens.

Further the tech seems now to be able now to auto-fuzz peoples faces upon publication so the people here with their fingers crossed that they will be snapped may be in for disappointment. Also they are working on fuzzing out older photos retroactively and people can still apply to get particular photos removed if they feel it is invading their privacy.

Personally I think it's sad that countries like Germany by virtue of their privacy laws aren't participating in this project and in time they may realise that they have been left behind.

(HATE Bebo btw).

What? Google streetview is a wonderful tool. Also it's not showing anything that you couldn't see just by walking down a particular street. It's hardly peering into peoples living rooms or into their backgardens.

Yeah and every time you apply for a job your address will be looked at. I have yet to see anyone venture to see my address physically, however they will look if it iss online.

And yes in a lot of cases it does look into peoples back gardens.
    Further the tech seems now to be able now to auto-fuzz peoples faces upon publication so the people here with their fingers crossed that they will be snapped may be in for disappointment. Also they are working on fuzzing out older photos retroactively and people can still apply to get particular photos removed if they feel it is invading their privacy..

Does not work, I live in the UK and google have not removed images of my house despite repeated requests. Separate the propaganda from the reality.

Personally I think it's sad that countries like Germany by virtue of their privacy laws aren't participating in this project and in time they may realise that they have been left behind.

:pac::pac: Left Behind????? Please leave me behind, you can rush headlong into a surveillance society by yourself.

• Advertisement

Yeah and every time you apply for a job your address will be looked at. I have yet to see anyone venture to see my address physically, however they will look if it iss online.
    Well why not just make it so employers cannot even have your address, just a confirmation from Police/Gardai that you actually do have a home? That should be enough for them shouldn't it? You just sound paranoid tbh
    And yes in a lot of cases it does look into peoples back gardens.
    If so then it's still a view from a road so these people would have folk looking into their back gardens anyway.
    Does not work, I live in the UK and google have not removed images of my house despite repeated requests. Separate the propaganda from the reality.
    I'm sure they're quite busy photographing the world and such at the minute and will deal with your request in time.
    Left Behind????? Please leave me behind, you can rush headlong into a surveillance society by yourself.
    Thanks, I will. FYI, If you give me your address I'll post some food and cigarettes to your home. You can come out from under your covers for a minute and answer the door and it'll save you the ignominy of going outside and having your privacy disturbed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Are you hiding something ChopShop?

/offtopic

While travelling to Madrid earlier this year, the only way I found my hostel was because I recognised a street corner from Google Streetview.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Are you hiding something ChopShop?

:rolleyes: The old classic
    Rhyme wrote: »

While travelling to Madrid earlier this year, the only way I found my hostel was because I recognised a street corner from Google Streetview.

What did people do for the last thirty years??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

What did people do for the last thirty years??

Learn Spanish and ask for directions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

People get so paranoid about these things. I'm sure when they came up with GPS, aerial imaging, phone book address directories and even the Internet there were people afraid of it who rejected it.

I really don't understand what people are worried about. Even if, by chance, one picture could see into your back garden and, god forbid, happened to see you watering your plants, who the hell cares!? If you were doing something you didn't want anyone to see you wouldn't be doing it in your back garden or at your front window, and if you were, other people would see you anyway.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Technology will move forward regardless of the neo-Luddites. If you have a bank card, a credit card, a phone, an address, an electricity bill, a car, or any of the other items we use in modern life, well then there is more information available about you than you'd care to know.
    Posting images of public streets is not illegal. Especially if they are blanking peoples faces on them. If your house faces onto a public street, thats just too bad. Anyone can film from a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

Does anyone know what speed it has to be going at to work? It passed me twice in the space of about an hour one day, going about 30-40 mph, I didn't think it'd be able to take legible photos at that speed. But the two roads it was on don't lead to anywhere really, and are in the middle of nowhere, so no other reason for it to be about. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

30-40mph is plenty slow enough to take photos if you use a high shutter speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

And the question on everyone's lips: Do Google use high shutter speeds?

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it shouldn't do residential streets

Advertisement