Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The After Hours Everything Google Street View Is Now Live In Ireland....I see ya.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 matgrogan

Google isn't the first street view in Ireland, have look at www.exploreskibbereen.com or www.exploretemplebar.com They've been up for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Anyone got a pic of one of these cars?

Why WTF civis_liberalis???

google-street-view-car-bucharest.jpg

The astras seen in Ireland have been red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Why WTF civis_liberalis???

These areas only have low-quality satellite images on Google Maps, so I was very surprised to hear that they would be covering them in Street View.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'm slightly unnerved that people have such a "ah this is cool" childhood mentality about this and aren't slightly concerned with a corporation taking pictures of your houses.

They read our emails, record everything we search for using their search engine and now this....

Soon there'll be google-cams in everyone's houses for maximum invasion of privacy so that we can all be on "real-ity teeeeeee V".

This is another form of CCTV

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I'm slightly unnerved that people have such a "ah this is cool" childhood mentality about this and aren't slightly concerned with a corporation taking pictures of your houses.

Your hous eis on a public street. What possible issue could arise from someone having a picture or something that is on permenant display in public anyway?

Yes, they will use a 6 month old still photo (that gets older every day) to keep track of you.:rolleyes:

Jesus will you conspiracy theory nuts ever gtfo or at the very least stay in you box/forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Google car seen in Carraroe and Spiddal in Co. Galway in the last few days. WTF like?

Obviously got lost.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 matgrogan

Anyone know how often they will update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You should masturbate frenetically in the garden as the car passes your house, thus forcing them to blank it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LampPost

They read our emails, record everything we search for using their search engine and now this....

Soon there'll be google-cams in everyone's houses for maximum invasion of privacy so that we can all be on "real-ity teeeeeee V".

Could not agree more.

You must consider the crowd in here. They bend over when asked.

And another thing. I have asked them to remove my house and car from street view. That was over a week ago, and nothing has yet been done. The new Freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

LampPost wrote: »
    Could not agree more.

You must consider the crowd in here. They bend over when asked.

And another thing. I have asked them to remove my house and car from street view. That was over a week ago, and nothing has yet been done. The new Freedom.
    If anything that'll attract more attention to your house. You'll get daytrippers from the country coming up to see what ya have to hide. There will be bus laods of Japanese tourists constantly turning up asking for a pic of you outiside your house.

Is this an attempt to become an interwebz legend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LampPost

If anything that'll attract more attention to your house. You'll get daytrippers from the country coming up to see what ya have to hide. There will be bus laods of Japanese tourists constantly turning up asking for a pic of you outiside your house.

Is this an attempt to become an interwebz legend?

Unlike most if you, I am 25 and amazingly don't watch cartoons or play games on a playstation.

Does that also shock you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Unlike most if you, I am 25 and amazingly don't watch cartoons or play games on a playstation.

Does that also shock you?

You should try the PS3. I hear there is a game called Soylent Green you might like ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

matgrogan wrote: »
    Google isn't the first street view in Ireland, have look at www.exploreskibbereen.com or www.exploretemplebar.com They've been up for a while.

ah well not quite as good but you go down the alleys ways etc useful for old city areas, unless google get bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Still struggling with the coherent English though, yeah? ;)

Where do you live LampPost? I'm sure Google have a backlog of deletion requests etc. to get through so a week isn't that long, you can't presume they're simply ignoring your request yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

from the Times (of London)
    A spate of burglaries in a Buckinghamshire village had already put residents on the alert for any suspicious vehicles. So when the Google Street View car trundled towards Broughton with a 360-degree camera on its roof, villagers sprang into action. Forming a human chain to stop it, they harangued the driver about the “invasion of privacy”, adding that the images that Google planned to put online could be used by burglars.

As police made their way to the stand-off, the Google car yielded to the villagers. For now, Broughton remains off the internet search engine’s mapping service.

It was Paul Jacobs who provided the first line of resistance. “I was upstairs when I spotted the camera car driving down the lane,” he said. “My immediate reaction was anger; how dare anyone take a photograph of my home without my consent? I ran outside to flag the car down and told the driver he was not only invading our privacy but also facilitating crime.”

He then ran round the village knocking on doors to rouse fellow residents. While the police were called, the villagers stood in the road, not allowing the car to pass. The driver eventually did a U-turn and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Good morning Mike.. you're late.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055529103

Although the topic was so boring that it ended in AvatarCop-Keira and Mr.Lizard abusing each other and the thread being locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sorry! Just browsing timeonline and the headline "Village Mob thwarts Google" caught my eye :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

This will only encourage many womon to whip up their T shirts and show the world .Ya know what they are like once they see a camera

Bah :(

Although the topic was so boring that it ended in AvatarCop-Keira and Mr.Lizard abusing each other and the thread being locked.
    They say opposites attract .In this case I would say two of a kind :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Hah well maybe we could use this topic to actually talk about it :p

I hate all everyone who keeps saying "ohh burglars are going to use Google street view to break into my house". First of all: The view of your house is not private. Anyone can simply drive or walk along the road you live on and look at it.

Although it arguably makes it easier for burglars to pick their target, if your house is picked out from millions of houses in your country, then it would most likely have been inevitable that your house would have been targeted anyway.

As well as that, if no one had moaned about it or made a big deal about it in the first place then the majority of people wouldn't even know what Google Street View is. If any burglar now decides to try use it to rob a house, they most likely came up with the idea from when they saw the headlines about privacy campaigners trying to stop Google Street View in case a burglar uses it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I saw a black Astra in the Petrol Station in Newcastle, Co. Wicklow the other day. It caught me by surprise as the area is not in the satellite view.

As for all the privacy concerns from the Daily Mail brigade. Get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They've all got cellars full of children to keep hidden, show some empathy ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Ok honestly I do not think Street View is a good idea it is an invasion into normal lives. People can be seen in various places at various times of the day. Lord knows one could be in nightwear or doing something, when you don't expect your picture to be taken and display on the internet without your permission. This is where I think the whole idea is wrong. People have mentioned the fact you can walk down a street and strand outside a house and theres nothing wrong with that, but think of this. A person can sit in front of their computer and look at someones house for as long as they want too. Now what is right about that.

I know this is coming to Dublin but I really think it should not be in Housing Estates or Residential area's after all its not a tourist attraction. And who needs to have this anyways for directions, we have sat navs and maps to do that.

I do think this is an invasion of the privacy and I wonder how far will Google go. We have Google Earth, Google Ocean, Google Space and now Google Street View. What is next on the agenda? Google Home View? An exploration of individuals homes in different areas, where they would come into your home and photograph all your rooms??? I should hope not!

We live in a day and age where we are gradually becoming more and more like living our lives in a goldfish bowl. How much further are we going to go with all of this?

I am going to write to Google to take my house off the Street View before it is even up on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

merlie wrote: »
    A person can sit in front of their computer and look at someones house for as long as they want too. Now what is right about that.

I totally agree, looking at static images for extended periods of time is very strange behaviour, and it must be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Source: Silicon republic

It's about time this came to Ireland. Can't wait for them to come to Galway. We should try and get as many boardsie's to appear on there holding up signs with "I can see Yore Ma".

They are not going to galway there is fcuk all in galway.:D

Seriously though the water thing I think you are all gone mad over there.

I went to galway once..... Wont be going again :D

If everybody in galway holds a sign saying "I can see yore ma" they will all hold one in cork saying "Yeah, but you can't find me da"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Ok honestly I do not think Street View is a good idea it is an invasion into normal lives. People can be seen in various places at various times of the day. Lord knows one could be in nightwear or doing something, when you don't expect your picture to be taken and display on the internet without your permission. This is where I think the whole idea is wrong.

Google blur the faces, so that could be anyone in their nightwear. Also, it's very unlikely that you'll be in your nightwear:

a) outside
    b) in the middle of the day

People are caught in embarrassing situations every day. That's why Google have the blur feature, and the option to write to them asking for the picture of you removed if you so choose.

People have mentioned the fact you can walk down a street and strand outside a house and theres nothing wrong with that, but think of this. A person can sit in front of their computer and look at someones house for as long as they want too. Now what is right about that.

Time spent passing by house: 3 seconds.
    Time in a photograph: instant.

It's just a photo of the house. Spending hours looking at a photo of a house is not the same thing as looking at the house for hours.

We also have to take rational human behaviour into account: nobody will spend hours looking at a picture of house, unless it was their own house and a particularly nice house at that.

Anyone who wants to break-and-enter that house will get much more information by observing the house in the real world. Furthermore, I imagine that most street thugs don't plan their operations in Google Earth.
    I know this is coming to Dublin but I really think it should not be in Housing Estates or Residential area's after all its not a tourist attraction. And who needs to have this anyways for directions, we have sat navs and maps to do that.

True. We have satnavs for finding our way around. Also maps, including Google's own amazing Google Maps.

It is, however, much much better for talking someone through directions. I'm sure we've all wandered around a foreign city at some stage in our lives, map in hand and still completely lost. Is it not so much better to be able to take the route virtually first? Time and energy saved.

Sure, my road isn't a tourist attraction, but there are hundreds of pictures of famous churches etc. Big deal. That's why Street View is so interesting: you can wander around completely obscure places that would never otherwise get attention.

There's a certain 'neatness' appeal to Street View. Why hasn't seen it and thought, ''Wow, that's neat!" My housemate spent the summer working in a warehouse in Manhatten and in five minutes was able to show me his house and where he worked. He was even able to walk me through his journey to work everyday, where he went on his lunchbreak, and all the other local stuff he did. It was pretty cool, and otherwise impossible but for Google Earth.

I do think this is an invasion of the privacy and I wonder how far will Google go. We have Google Earth, Google Ocean, Google Space and now Google Street View. What is next on the agenda? Google Home View? An exploration of individuals homes in different areas, where they would come into your home and photograph all your rooms??? I should hope not!

You make one product - Google Earth - sound like several different products to make it sound like long list. Stop. As for Google Home View, I think it's unfair to charge Google with an imaginary offence.
    We live in a day and age where we are gradually becoming more and more like living our lives in a goldfish bowl. How much further are we going to go with all of this?

I look forward to seeing your goldfish bowl in Street View. But seriously,I have no idea what this means. House + picture of house = bowl...?

area's

You have used an apostrophe mark. You know what that is?

Apostrophes are used when an object belongs to something. John's car. Rob's computer.

They are also used in the place of the word 'is'. John's tired. Rob's arriving in the next few minutes. In this instance, it comes from the Greek rhetorical term when an orator would address a body not present.

They are not used for plurals. John has two car's is wrong. Please learn this.
    I am going to write to Google.

Use apostrophes, along with decent sentence punctuation, if you do.

Best of luck with that letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

banquo wrote: »
    Google blur the faces, so that could be anyone in their nightwear. Also, it's very unlikely that you'll be in your nightwear:

a) outside
    b) in the middle of the day

People are caught in embarrassing situations every day. That's why Google have the blur feature, and the option to write to them asking for the picture of you removed if you so choose.

Time spent passing by house: 3 seconds.
    Time in a photograph: instant.

It's just a photo of the house. Spending hours looking at a photo of a house is not the same thing as looking at the house for hours.

We also have to take rational human behaviour into account: nobody will spend hours looking at a picture of house, unless it was their own house and a particularly nice house at that.

Anyone who wants to break-and-enter that house will get much more information by observing the house in the real world. Furthermore, I imagine that most street thugs don't plan their operations in Google Earth.

True. We have satnavs for finding our way around. Also maps, including Google's own amazing Google Maps.

It is, however, much much better for talking someone through directions. I'm sure we've all wandered around a foreign city at some stage in our lives, map in hand and still completely lost. Is it not so much better to be able to take the route virtually first? Time and energy saved.

Sure, my road isn't a tourist attraction, but there are hundreds of pictures of famous churches etc. Big deal. That's why Street View is so interesting: you can wander around completely obscure places that would never otherwise get attention.

There's a certain 'neatness' appeal to Street View. Why hasn't seen it and thought, ''Wow, that's neat!" My housemate spent the summer working in a warehouse in Manhatten and in five minutes was able to show me his house and where he worked. He was even able to walk me through his journey to work everyday, where he went on his lunchbreak, and all the other local stuff he did. It was pretty cool, and otherwise impossible but for Google Earth.

You make one product - Google Earth - sound like several different products to make it sound like long list. Stop. As for Google Home View, I think it's unfair to charge Google with an imaginary offence.

I look forward to seeing your goldfish bowl in Street View. But seriously,I have no idea what this means. House + picture of house = bowl...?

You have used an apostrophe mark. You know what that is?

Apostrophes are used when an object belongs to something. John's car. Rob's computer.

They are also used in the place of the word 'is'. John's tired. Rob's arriving in the next few minutes. In this instance, it comes from the Greek rhetorical term when an orator would address a body not present.

They are not used for plurals. John has two car's is wrong. Please learn this.

Use apostrophes, along with decent sentence punctuation, if you do.

Best of luck with that letter.

I agree with all of what you said except for where you start correcting people on how to spell etc. Thats wrong and as this is after hours and fairly free I also think its bad manners and takes away from your points above. Give people a little break. Our parents raised us. They should be the only one's to correct us!!

Roll on goolge street view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Point taken. I usually refrain from being a grammar Nazi - aren't enough hours in the day! - but in this case the poster mentioned they intended on writing a letter and... I'm weak :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Spotted a google mobile coming off a little side road on the Galway - Headford road today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Well all those nutters who are obessed with people who have those god awful statues in thier windows will be happy, they can now google where they all are.

Advertisement