Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The After Hours Everything Google Street View Is Now Live In Ireland....I see ya.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The Google car is in Leopardstown/Stepaside this morning.
    Spotted it turning into the estate beside Dunnes Stores, Leopardstown at 09:10.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Spotted the red astra google car this morning, on the enistymon road, leaving ennis at 8.30.
    It looked like the cameras were all taped up in black plastic bags. Not sure it was even recording, or if there was a hole for the lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Was walking down the north road in finglas yesterday towards the village and i noticed the Red Astra with all the cameras on top, So i gave it a wave:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

red astra google car was on the Dual Carriageway in Swords this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

seen it heading down the m50 this evening also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

merlie wrote: »
    I do think this is an invasion of the privacy and I wonder how far will Google go. We have Google Earth, Google Ocean, Google Space and now Google Street View. What is next on the agenda?

Yeah I'm sure the fish and alien population are up in arms over the invasion of their privacy that Google Ocean and Space brings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Saw it on Monday on Ballygal Road in Finglas. Took pictures...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'm from Santry, so this is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

banquo wrote: »
    I'm from Santry, so this is awesome.

Why? If you live there you know what it looks like, if you're in lands foreign then fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

It spent last Tuesday in Ballinrobe, County Mayo. I snapped a picture of it as it cruised around some of Ballinrobe's housing estates.

It seemed to be around the town for most of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

R0C wrote: »
    It spent last Tuesday in Ballinrobe, County Mayo. I snapped a picture of it as it cruised around some of Ballinrobe's housing estates.

It seemed to be around the town for most of the day.
    Did it get a pic of the Bull ?.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

galwayrush wrote: »
    Did it get a pic of the Bull ?.:D

:D

I doubt it!
    The bull incident actually happened a month ago. But I guess it took the following four weeks for Cummins' (SuperValue) to hire the people necessary to buy the attention of the entire media forum. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

merlie wrote: »
    Ok honestly I do not think Street View is a good idea it is an invasion into normal lives. People can be seen in various places at various times of the day. Lord knows one could be in nightwear or doing something, when you don't expect your picture to be taken and display on the internet without your permission. This is where I think the whole idea is wrong. People have mentioned the fact you can walk down a street and strand outside a house and theres nothing wrong with that, but think of this. A person can sit in front of their computer and look at someones house for as long as they want too. Now what is right about that.

I know this is coming to Dublin but I really think it should not be in Housing Estates or Residential area's after all its not a tourist attraction. And who needs to have this anyways for directions, we have sat navs and maps to do that.

I do think this is an invasion of the privacy and I wonder how far will Google go. We have Google Earth, Google Ocean, Google Space and now Google Street View. What is next on the agenda? Google Home View? An exploration of individuals homes in different areas, where they would come into your home and photograph all your rooms??? I should hope not!

We live in a day and age where we are gradually becoming more and more like living our lives in a goldfish bowl. How much further are we going to go with all of this?

I am going to write to Google to take my house off the Street View before it is even up on the net.

Be careful. There is a group getting organized on the net now where they are searching for places removed from street view. When they find them they post and ask anyone who is around there to take as many photos of the house as they can a post them on their own site.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

The privacy arguments are boderline bunkum, I found streetview very handy for planning visiting particular locations etc on a visit to the States last year, puts gps in the shade when you can actually check out the surroundings of a place in advance.

As for

Also, it's very unlikely that you'll be in your nightwear:

a) outside
    b) in the middle of the day

People are caught in embarrassing situations every day.

The above obviously excludes the daytime pyjama-wearing denizens of environs city-wide, whose only likely embarassment at the eventuality would be that they were, ahem, overdressed for an appearance on the internet.....

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

The Black Google street car just passed me 20 mins ago on camden street:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

class - is it sad that I'm jealous?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Saw it in my estate in Galway earlier in the week or last week (I forget).

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

It was wandering around Clane about 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

class - is it sad that I'm jealous?!

Depends on what your jealous of ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I saw it on an overpass on the M8 this morning. I didn't think they'd be mapping motorways so maybe they're doing Kilkenny as well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

It was in Aylesbury in Tallaght, last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hopefully it wont be to long until they get this up and running. They put up one of the area I live in Spain around the turn of the year but all the pics were over 18 months old at the time which was easily noticable due to construction work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Spotted the car in Ranelagh today. It's like seeing a celebrity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I think that Google might be doing a large update to Google Maps in Ireland. I've noticed that Google now gives local search results for Ireland and that Google Maps on the iPhone has a lot more information than before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Anyone (insiders maybe?) know when the streetview for Ireland will actually be up and running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The google streetview car passed my house about 3 weeks ago. I was digging earth with my shirt off looking uber sexy. PM for autographs.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭selekta

Are they still on it? They passed by me in Howth a couple of months ago, I thought it would be published by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

a google car was parked up in my car park the other day. Spoke to the driver took photos of it myself. He said there is 12 cars doing the whole country but it will take them about 5 months more to complete.

I asked whats roads are been covered and he described a map (road map but forget the name) and he basically said any road on that map was been mapped by their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

The car I saw in Whitehall was red...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

The car I saw in Whitehall was red...

The one in Walkinstown today was black, with Spanish numberplates.

flickr.com/.../GoogleCar

I believe it takes several months to capture and process all the photos before they are actually visible in Street View.

Advertisement