Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The After Hours Everything Google Street View Is Now Live In Ireland....I see ya.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I heard the cut the funding because of the recession.*

*Not actually true

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

Soon I hope. They have updated the lower level map of Dublin city centre with outline's of buildings so Streetview can't be that far away. Before next paddy's day I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

I saw a SV car on the way to Monaghan about 4 weeks ago so it looks like some areas still aren't mapped / are getting touch up's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I really can't wait to see it, hope it's up soon- they seem to be waiting until they have the whole country done, I don't know why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

We're lucky they're doing so much of the country, means we'll be able to use google maps navigation on android once it's released, byebye tomtom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I'm just waiting to see people I know,feck the face bluring I'll still know them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

When the hell is this being updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

That Google car was on my road last year, it has a funny looking yoke on the roof which is some sort of 360 deg camera. South west Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

allanb49 wrote: »
    When the hell is this being updated

We will probably get it around the time they have something new and better to bring out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,011 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Belfast is up, also road into Derry from Limavady is up too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

Well seen the EU are getting all pissy about Streetview again, they might be waiting to see what's gonna happen before they spend all the money on collecting, processing and uploading that data.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Search-Engines/EU-Wants-Google-Street-View-Image-Retention-Cut-to-Six-Months-804697/

And to be honest, slightly more excited with what the Bing map guys are doing!

Proper Flickr integration and Video overlays is so so cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What am I looking at? Is that you with the buggy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's cool. You can do a virtual tour of the murals, without leaving your seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Belfast is up, also road into Derry from Limavady is up too

They've been up for about a year. Those pictures were taken before the rest of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

If you swing left you can see a "Barb Shop". I've always wanted to go into one of those, can never have enough insults in your repertoire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Google Streetview car Snowmobile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ4pgcrJU8c

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

They pretty much have all of the UK now. When is it in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Why has this old thread reappeard?:confused: the streetview cars were in ireland nearly a year ago and still no sign of streetview ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kwyjibot

Up until a few weeks ago, Google had been starting to make some noise about street view being released in Ireland.
    But there's an article in last Sunday's Tribune which says that it's been delayed indefinitely. With all of the various privacy cases going to the EU about this, they've evidently decided to wait and see how those cases all pan out, rather than release a service they would have to withdraw / alter significantly shortly afterwards.
    Irish techno-geeks may have to wait yet another year for Google's much-hyped Street View initiative after the company admitted a launch in Ireland is "not imminent".

Although Google representatives spent more than a week last year driving through Dublin and filming local streets, the company confirmed to the Sunday Tribune that the images would not be seen any time soon

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2010/mar/07/ireland-facing-year-long-wait-for-google-street-vi/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Well thats lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

kwyjibot wrote: »
    Up until a few weeks ago, Google had been starting to make some noise about street view being released in Ireland.
    But there's an article in last Sunday's Tribune which says that it's been delayed indefinitely. With all of the various privacy cases going to the EU about this, they've evidently decided to wait and see how those cases all pan out, rather than release a service they would have to withdraw / alter significantly shortly afterwards.

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2010/mar/07/ireland-facing-year-long-wait-for-google-street-vi/

To be honest I'm not sure how much of that article has to do with the journalist misinterpreting the Google response. Google's stance on pretty much every street view launch was always "no definitive launch date is available at present."

They rarely, if ever, set a launch date for cities or countries... they usually just launched whenever they were ready, without any prior notice.

Although a year does seem like a pretty long time to take to get some pictures up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

It is furstrating when the images stop right at the border on the M1 though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

I saw one on my road a few motnhs back and I waved at it frantically :D

How come they took the time to put up the rest of the UK (which already had many major cities covered) but there is still NO Republic of Ireland?
    Why are we the poor relation? At least put up some of the big cities and towns.
    The back arse of Holland is covered but we have nothing in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Magenta wrote: »
    How come they took the time to put up the rest of the UK (which already had many major cities covered) but there is still NO Republic of Ireland?

There is a town in the southern Netherlands and northern Belgium called Baarle where the border is very weird - there are enclaves of one country inside the other. Obviously when the streetview cameras went along the road, they captured it all - they just haven't put up the Belgian bits (or any of Belgium) for that matter.

There are also some roads in NI which are inaccessible from the rest of NI (i.e. you have to go via the Republic) which have been done, so presumably the nearby parts of ROI have been done too.

Maybe there are legal hurdles to overcome in some countries begire they can operate there. And maybe, in the case of Ireland, there are technical issues to overcome. Some country roads in NI aren't alligned properly with the streetview pictures, and this might be the case with many roads in the South.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Magenta wrote: »

Did you read the post only 2 or 3 before yours ?

Advertisement