Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

cian1500ww wrote: »
    That's interesting, do they mind if you do something that's not directly related to the course ??

Nope, they don't mind really. Mine was unrelated to the course in many ways. Of course you couldn't do work experience in a shop or a pub or anything. Computers is where the experience needs to be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Nope, they don't mind really. Mine was unrelated to the course in many ways. Of course you couldn't do work experience in a shop or a pub or anything. Computers is where the experience needs to be :)
    Thanks, might try to look for companies not too far from home, might help save on rent. Is there much paperwork like reports to be done ?? Last time I did work experience was in secondary school and I spent more time write up reports than actually working :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Thanks, might try to look for companies not too far from home, might help save on rent. Is there much paperwork like reports to be done ?? Last time I did work experience was in secondary school and I spent more time write up reports than actually working :rolleyes:

You keep a weekly diary and submit a final report, I forget how long the report was, maybe 2500 words? It's not a thesis anyways :D To be completely honest I bluffed the diary but paid attention to the report and I got a fairly high first - you do get graded on them ;)

Your employer is required to write a bit too. And if you arrange your own work experience your employer is required to outline the tasks you'll be doing which has to be given to the department to make a decision on whether or not it's suitable.

You keep a weekly diary and submit a final report, I forget how long the report was, maybe 2500 words? It's not a thesis anyways :D To be completely honest I bluffed the diary but paid attention to the report and I got a fairly high first - you do get graded on them ;)

Your employer is required to write a bit too. And if you arrange your own work experience your employer is required to outline the tasks you'll be doing which has to be given to the department to make a decision on whether or not it's suitable.
    Ah well, didn't think I'd get of that easy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Just out of curiosity what happens if the person couldn't find a work placement? It must happen to at least a handful every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

it does and it depends on the department, the CS department usually puts you to work as an unpaid drone, working on some research or doing a site or other meaningless toiling.

a lot of these people find something elsewhere while they are working in the CS department.

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    it does and it depends on the department, the CS department usually puts you to work as an unpaid drone, working on some research or doing a site or other meaningless toiling.

a lot of these people find something elsewhere while they are working in the CS department.
    Sounds fun :rolleyes:

Sounds fun :rolleyes:

I really enjoyed my placement, (Along with its nice pay slip, VHI cover and other perks)

Get your CV up to scratch and learn how to sell yourself/charm your interview panel and you shouldn't have to worry about the other option.

oh and don't rely on Paula Murray to get you a placement... or help you in anyway... (Despite that being her job description).

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

From looking at last years timetable it's looking like I'll have a timetable clash in first semester, between a compulsary module and an optional module in another subject. Anything that I can do about it? I reeeeeeeeeeeeeaally want to do the optional module :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

scott.s wrote: »
    I managed to get my placement doing web development/design using PHP, HTML and CSS. Nothing like that covered in the course but I was really interested in it and was so happy when I got the placement. Now I do it as my job :D

It's covered these days.
    cian1500ww wrote:
    Is there much paperwork like reports to be done ?? Last time I did work experience was in secondary school and I spent more time write up reports than actually working

Weekly reports for 16 weeks, each at least 250 words. Final report is 2500 words excluding your weekly reports. Module is worth 30 credits, but the mark you get is only weighted as a single module.
    Alt_Grrr wrote:
    The CS department usually puts you to work as an unpaid drone, working on some research or doing a site or other meaningless toiling.

If this does happen it is possible to get some interesting research and if you're lucky get a paper out of it, an undergraduate publication is not to be sniffed at.
    Alt_Grrr wrote:
    oh and don't rely on Paula Murray to get you a placement... or help you in anyway... (Despite that being her job description).

I disagree, I found her extremely helpful. People expect to be spoon fed by her and just handed a job. And most people who are stuck without placement don't care, they'd rather arse around in Lab 3 for a few months than travel to interviews and potentially move down or out of the country for a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭scott.s

mp3guy wrote: »
    It's covered these days.

What sort of stuff do you get to do? We did the tiniest bit of HTML in first year, and I mean like 1 lab of it.
    I disagree, I found her extremely helpful.

Eh...
    Few of the lads from my year went into her office and she said 'I'll be with you in a minute' before continuing her game of Solitaire...

scott.s wrote: »
    What sort of stuff do you get to do? We did the tiniest bit of HTML in first year, and I mean like 1 lab of it.
    There's an entire module in second year called Web Information Processing, you also do a team project of designing a website for a company or organisation which is worth 50% of said module.

I disagree, I found her extremely helpful. People expect to be spoon fed by her and just handed a job. And most people who are stuck without placement don't care, they'd rather arse around in Lab 3 for a few months than travel to interviews and potentially move down or out of the country for a job.

I, like most others didn't find her helpful at all.
    somewhere between her limited (1 to 2 hours a day) consultation hours (which she was never available for) and her tenancy to be vague and unhelpful with even the most minute of issues. not to mention the casual spamming and refusal to use moodle.

I felt good getting a placement inspite of her 'help'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Repeat results "to be posted on 9th September"

I'm gonna be in Maynooth on the 8th seeing my friends who did Arts with me graduate.

If my logic is correct, the results will be online that day. That conundrum just blows my mind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Is there anywhere online that one could find out what modules are available for second year English and Geography, with descriptions of them?
    It's amazingly elusive!

ps...if anyone knows where I would get my hands on a flatscreen monitor on the cheap or free, I would greatly greatly appreciate it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

English, I'm not sure if the detail is up on the new homepage, but it will be soon. I also did a review of the 2nd year course in the subjects sticky ages ago.

Geography, it's on the homepage under the "undergraduates> 2nd year" section. Not so elusive! :pac:

I mainly meant English is elusive! but thanks a million! It's really appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

kellief wrote: »
    I mainly meant English is elusive! but thanks a million! It's really appreciated!

And there's loads of info about the English courses online, what're ye on about?! :confused:

And there's loads of info about the English courses online, what're ye on about?! :confused:

I'm tired and obviously didn't look in the right places!! Oh dear...sleep is soo needed right now!

Is there anywhere online that one could find out what modules are available for second year English and Geography, with descriptions of them?
    It's amazingly elusive!

Did you not get an email with the info on all of the geography modules? That at least gives you a rough guess of what each intails. Some of the modules seem to be new though, as they are not yet on the geog department website/timetable slots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I'm tired and obviously didn't look in the right places!! Oh dear...sleep is soo needed right now!

Just stick 'English' into the search engine here...

http://www.nuim.ie/courses/

Did you not get an email with the info on all of the geography modules? That at least gives you a rough guess of what each intails. Some of the modules seem to be new though, as they are not yet on the geog department website/timetable slots.

I haven't recieved anything from the college about courses at all other than an email saying about the major/minor thing, which said if you didn't get an email you don't qualify. I'm really starting to panic...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I haven't recieved anything from the college about courses at all other than an email saying about the major/minor thing, which said if you didn't get an email you don't qualify. I'm really starting to panic...

Oh Oh. You may as well give up all hope now and chuck the whole college thing in. You're clearly not welcome back :pac:

lemansky wrote: »
    Oh Oh. You may as well give up all hope now and chuck the whole college thing in. You're clearly not welcome back :pac:

I think I will!!! Chow!!

*cough.. unloved.. cough*
    Akward...

If you pm me your e-mail address I could forward on the e-mail I got about the geography modules? :pac:

*cough.. unloved.. cough*
    Akward...

If you pm me your e-mail address I could forward on the e-mail I got about the geography modules? :pac:

Going into the college tomorrow to see what the craic is!
    Will do that now thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

You're all banned...for....being....students?

Anyone here play Mafia Wars on iPhone ??
    Add me if you do :) 0403 0943 16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Christ... haven't even registered for third year and already I'm having a mad panic attack :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

First years are adorable :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement