Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How dangerous are motorbikes?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭smoc

Yeah, love the monster. Mostly cuz it has a low seat so it'ld be cool for me as i'm not very tall... And also its a Ducati and looks sexy in red!!! :D

I'm thinking of just getting a new 696. It'll come with warranty and the lot and might get it for slightly less due to the recession too. Also like the look of the new 696 compared to the old 695.
    But i'll get the Duke after getting some cheap starter bike first to get used to on. I would hate dropping a shiny new 696. Although you can easily change the covers on its tank if you damage it or get bored of the color!! But then i doubt anyone would insure me on a new 696 for my 1st bike!!

Are you mad? I've gradually worked my way up to a 636cc kwaker. I would start with a 125cc or a 250cc at the most. You will kill yourself on anything bigger to start. Took me 2 months to get used to the power of the 636. And thats just to the point that I could properly handle it. I'll never need any more power than this. It does 0 - 60 in 2.9 seconds!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

smoc wrote: »
    Are you mad? I've gradually worked my way up to a 636cc kwaker. I would start with a 125cc or a 250cc at the most. You will kill yourself on anything bigger to start. Took me 2 months to get used to the power of the 636. And thats just to the point that I could properly handle it. I'll never need any more power than this. It does 0 - 60 in 2.9 seconds!!

the monster is a fantastic starter bike. It can be legally restricted and it dimensions make it very user friendly.

I have even seen a certain lad do a whole years track days in mondello on one.(restricted) It was his first bike. He is now a very smooth and capable rider. And dam quick around the international circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Cheers for the reply smoc. I do plan on doing the beginner bike course before getting a bike. So i should get a good idea if its a thing for me or not before i completely commit into it.
    smoc wrote: »
    I'ld be getting a restricted Duke so like wouldn't that be not as lethal?? I herd the Monster is a good beginner bike with its low ride seat and light weight.
    I basically love the riding position of the bike. Love more the low rider seat as i'm not very tall so on the Monster both my feet could easily touch the ground while on something taller, i would kinda struggle..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

@antispastic

you're not cut out for biking imo. I get the impression that you would prefer your commute to involve no other traffic. I've had 2 accidents in 10 years, both of which I took as lesson learnt. Biking for me would not be the same WITHOUT the dangers. They are what make it interesting;)
    You drove in a straight line through the worlds biggest carpark for 7 years and its tainted your impartial opinion imo.

Your reading skills appear to lag quite a distance behind your riding skills.

a) I enjoyed biking for a good number of the "early years" because I was too ignorant of the full suite of dangers to have that knowledge cramp my enjoyment.

b) Some spills and increasing knowledge of the dangers reduced my enjoyment in the "middle years". I became more aware of my own breakability.

c) Even more knowledge and riding according to that knowledge and some advanced training - not to say the sheer number of miles... has restored my enjoyment of motorcycling in these "latter years"

d) If you check back you'll see that the 7 years you refer to involved commuting from Bray to Finglas via town and back - about as challenging a commute as one could wish for. When the motorway opened up I switched to a car shortly afterwards because of the boredom.

e) I would say that the challenges of motorcycling - not just the dangers are what make it interesting. Commuting that town commute was enjoyable because of the challenge and because of the experience to meet that challenge on something like an equal footing.

f) What I've been attempting to point out is that training, protective gear and the like don't significantly alter the fact that for a period (of years) you are effectively blind to dangers that can alter the course of your life forever. Enter motorcycling with your eyes as open as you can - not with your head up your arse. If your eyes being opened mean you decide not to enter it at all then I'd say you'd be taking the more logical and rational of the options.

Life doesn't have to be only about logic however

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

anyone seen the ad on c4 about the car being tboned by the bike, girlfriend now has a hatred for bikes since seeing it!

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    anyone seen the ad on c4 about the car being tboned by the bike, girlfriend now has a hatred for bikes since seeing it!

I was that learner. Although in my case it was:

a) the driver ahead of me turning left

b) the driver who'd disappeared left turning the left turn maneovre into a u-turn

c) me contributing significantly by being pissed out of my head.

If you look carefully at that video a few times on YouTube you'll see that he's riding too close to the kerb during the drivers-eye-view crash sequence - he's about 1/3 of the lane width away from the kerb. I'd be much nearer the middle of the road so as to give the driver an opportunity to see me with his quick glance.

Rider about 50% to blame in this one: not taking due account of the way car drivers drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Your reading skills appear to lag quite a distance behind your riding skills.

a) I enjoyed biking for a good number of the "early years" because I was too ignorant of the full suite of dangers to have that knowledge cramp my enjoyment.

b) Some spills and increasing knowledge of the dangers reduced my enjoyment in the "middle years"

c) Even more knowledge and riding according to that knowledge and some advanced training - not to say the sheer number of miles... has restored my enjoyment of motorcycling in these "latter years"

d) If you check back you'll see that the 7 years you refer to involved commuting from Bray to Finglas via town and back - about as challenging a commute as one could wish for. When the motorway opened up I switched to a car shortly afterwards because of the boredom.

e) I would say that the challenges of motorcycling - not just the dangers are what make it interesting. Commuting that town commute was enjoyable because of the challenge and because of the experience to meet that challenge on something like an equal footing.

f) What I've been attempting to point out is that training, protective gear and the like don't significantly alter the fact that for a period (of years) you are effectively blind to dangers that can alter the course of your life forever. Enter motorcycling with your eyes as open as you can - not with your head up your arse. If your eyes being opened mean you decide not to enter it at all then I'd say you'd be taking the more logical and rational of the options.

Life doesn't have to be only about logic however

Ok. I'll start off with this

walking point duty in Veitnam:eek::eek::confused: WTF are you on about ya clown!!!

Next, on to this

I think it's safe to say that you completely failed at getting anything across to af other than biking is a fools pursuit. Thats not just my opinion btw. If you were trying to get a less biased opinion across I suggest you try again.
    May I suggest you try this method - leave all the veitnam, training bull**** aside and give your own opinion on what biking means to you from the heart. If you can't get passionate about it then I will stand by my opinion that you're not cut out for it.

And now on to this

direct quote;
    9) Biking isn't "fun". It's a serious game where the enjoyment comes from recognising the risk, managing the risk and commanding the terrain your in. It's exhilerating in that sense. But not fun as such - your too busy concentrating to have fun. If it is being considered as fun then you're likely in serious danger.

10) If your bike commute is a town one taking (you say) a half an hour then a bicycle will get you there quicker - you don't have to stop at lights on a pushbike. You'll save time not having to struggle in and out of all that heavy gear either.

if biking is not fun then why the fug do you do it:confused::confused::confused: If it's just a mode of transport for you then you never should have posted in this thread imo.

A real biker would never advocate using a fugging bicycle over a bike:mad:

BTW you do have to stop at lights on a bicycle ya numpty

Also, if you struggling into gear then it's not the right size. Get some gear thats the same size of your ego.....................................point duty in Veitnam!!! WTF are ya like

And finally this

direct quote

Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed bikes tremendously but knowing what I know about the risks facing the inexperienced, I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to take it up.

Between the government, gaybo and yourself there'll be no young lads taking up biking in the years to come. You are the wrong person, imo, to be advising this chap on biking.

BTW - please don't ever take a job answering the phones in the samaritines!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I could only imagine that...

"Ah sure u might as well jump, walking back down the stairs is as dangerous as walking point duty in Veitnam..."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

mighty mechanic infracted for personal insults.

Keep it civil, folks !

Ok. I'll start off with this

walking point duty in Veitnam:eek::eek::confused: WTF are you on about ya clown!!!

It's an analogy used to describe the position the learner will inevitably find himself in: out on his own with death-potential likely to pop it's head out at any moment.

Can you think of a more apt one? And mind the language - otherwise we won't be conversing for long more

I think it's safe to say that you completely failed at getting anything across to af other than biking is a fools pursuit. Thats not just my opinion btw. If you were trying to get a less biased opinion across I suggest you try again.

It's not foolish to take up biking. It's illogical and irrational given the facts as they are. That's not a reason not to take it up but lets not kid anyone (nor permit them to kid themselves in the case they choose to ask the question) that the analogy above isn't the way it is.

May I suggest you try this method - leave all the veitnam, training bull**** aside and give your own opinion on what biking means to you from the heart. If you can't get passionate about it then I will stand by my opinion that you're not cut out for it.

I don't see what passion has to do with it - I'm not a crusader for/against biking. I don't hang around with bikers (and never have), I've been and enjoyed being a bike mechanic. I've been and hated being a motorcycle courier (in the days before good wet gear that is). I've 400,000 or so all weather miles under my belt and still enjoy riding motorcycles. I prefer riding on snow than ice. What has this to do with anything?

9) Biking isn't "fun". It's a serious game where the enjoyment comes from recognising the risk, managing the risk and commanding the terrain your in. It's exhilerating in that sense. But not fun as such - your too busy concentrating to have fun. If it is being considered as fun then you're likely in serious danger.
    if biking is not fun then why the fug do you do it:confused::confused::confused: If it's just a mode of transport for you then you never should have posted in this thread imo.

You're tendency not to read what's written is highlighted above. I enjoy riding a motorcycle it appears.

10) If your bike commute is a town one taking (you say) a half an hour then a bicycle will get you there quicker - you don't have to stop at lights on a pushbike. You'll save time not having to struggle in and out of all that heavy gear either.

A real biker would never advocate using a fugging bicycle over a bike:mad:

BTW you do have to stop at lights on a bicycle ya numpty

A "real" biker? There's some dictionary definition for this I take it?

You don't have to stop at lights on a bicycle anymore than you don't have to pay too much attention to the laws on bikes in buslanes (at least, you could get nicked in them for the 7 years I was riding in them daily - although cops seldom did pay attention).

Race from Stillorgan to Dame St circa 5 years ago - rush hour. Me on a Fazer 600, my mate on a bicycle. He won.

Also, if you struggling into gear then it's not the right size. Get some gear thats the same size of your ego..point duty in Veitnam!!! WTF are ya like

My ego won't be talking to your ego for very long more unless you can keep a civil tonque in your head. I seem to have gotten your goat - possibly because you have some notion as to what constitutes real bikers.

I've not got a whole lot of time for the us vs. them viewpoint to be honest. It's a viewpoint that tends to instill a shifting the blame to "stupid cagers/pedestrians/taxi drives". Which is something I don't find helpful when it comes to surviving.

My policy is to blame me when I come close.

Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed bikes tremendously but knowing what I know about the risks facing the inexperienced, I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to take it up.

Between the government, gaybo and yourself there'll be no young lads taking up biking in the years to come. You are the wrong person, imo, to be advising this chap on biking.

So what if no young fellas take up motorcycling in years to come. That's between those young chaps and motorcycling. What I feel they are entitled to is a chance to deal with facts as they are - not a "real" bikers desire to paper over those facts with "passion".

Isn't this a little arse around tit? My advice is not to jump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

If you look carefully at that video a few times on YouTube you'll see that he's riding too close to the kerb during the drivers-eye-view crash sequence - he's about 1/3 of the lane width away from the kerb. I'd be much nearer the middle of the road so as to give the driver an opportunity to see me with his quick glance.

Rider about 50% to blame in this one: not taking due account of the way car drivers drive.

Complete rubbish. As with most of your opinions in this thread.
    So if it was a cyclist who got T-boned . It would be 50% the cyclists fault?

He would be near the kerb.

No

If it was a pedestrian, who also has right of way, would it still be 50% his fault? Hey it must be. He cant be seen at a quick glace.

The Biker Had right of way . Clear cut. You have a very strange point of view and should think twice about advising young lads with your viet Nam stories and how you would ride your push bike through red lights.

Your MENTAL posts have made it onto more than one forum by now.

The countries bikers are having a right old sneer at your crazy posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

This is just my experience and my 2c worth on the subject, its your decision at the end of the day..I am by no means a bike expert and will not pretend to be. I had a stint for about a year on a bike (Vulcan 400) and that was enough for me. I spent a fortune on training and bought the best gear I could afford (advise you to do the same). I dont want to rain on your parade and its up to you to decide what to do but my experience of bikes is this:

1) My neighbour is an undertaker and burys a lot of bikers.

2) I came off a few times all due to other road users.

3) I did some work with the Johns Ambulance which made the decison for me to walk away from it.

Biking can be very enjoyable but you will come off it at some stage. You could be the safest rider in the world with the best gear and training and all it takes is a moments stupidity from another road user to put you in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

c) me contributing significantly by being pissed out of my head

Ah, I was wondering about that...

'cptr

You really can't see that your whole argument is contradicting yourself at ever turn. paraphrase - 'I love biking by only after realising that everytime I leave the house I wil probably die!!!'

Biking IS fun INSPITE OF the dangers

You haven't got my goat boss;) I'm pee-d off at the thought that someone reading your drivel may potentionaly be put off biking

The analogy is SO far off the mark it's in a different time zone. I'm sure there are some military personel on this forum that may back me up. How can you compare being t-boned in traffic to being shot between the eyes:eek::eek:

I know of a lad who had an off before Xmas and is now in a chair but all he can think of is getting back on a bike.

I don't care about infractions or whether you will continue speaking to me:eek::eek: You made a gee of advising the lad, end of!

you could have reworded your whole 1st post and left out the veitnam crap and you may have had some good adivce. Thankfully the lad took none of your doom and gloom onboard and will sone be a biker.

This is just my experience and my 2c worth on the subject, its your decision at the end of the day..I am by no means a bike expert and will not pretend to be. I had a stint for about a year on a bike (Vulcan 400) and that was enough for me. I spent a fortune on training and bought the best gear I could afford (advise you to do the same). I dont want to rain on your parade and its up to you to decide what to do but my experience of bikes is this:

1) My neighbour is an undertaker and burys a lot of bikers.

2) I came off a few times all due to other road users.

3) I did some work with the Johns Ambulance which made the decison for me to walk away from it.

Biking can be very enjoyable but you will come off it at some stage. You could be the safest rider in the world with the best gear and training and all it takes is a moments stupidity from another road user to put you in hospital.

@antiwhatever

this kind of advise would have been a lot more constructive

So what if no young fellas take up motorcycling in years to come. That's between those young chaps and motorcycling. What I feel they are entitled to is a chance to deal with facts as they are - not a "real" bikers desire to paper over those facts with "passion".

This just shows that you really couldn't give a fug about biking or the whole biking culture. If no young lads come into biking it could well die off which would be a travesty imo.

Last year alone I personally attended 5 fundraisers for various charities including make a wish, dsi and childrens hospital. This is a part of the biking culture that you have no interest in. This type of funraising will die off if theres no one to organise it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

antiskeptic, not sure what message you are trying to give, but you have me scratching my head. I dont think I will ever leave the house again because of the risks of walking down the road! :eek:

OP, I havent walked minefields in Vietnam nor could I identify a landmine from a box of Corn Flakes, but I have had 2 crashes on my bike over my 8 year biking career. One crash wrote off my bike but fortunately I walked away unscathed.

But Im still biking. There are risks involved. Ireland has one of the worst incident rates in Europe. But there are things you can do to help reduce that risk, but you can never eliminate them.

Heres my 2c.
    * Gear, buy the best you can and wear it no matter what the weather is. Gloves, boots, jacket, trousers, kidney/back protectors if necessary and of course your helmet.
    * lessons. Many training schools will teach you what you need to pass your test. Thats no where near enough. Go on to do advanced training. Its well worth it.
    * Road awareness. You've no protection on a bike. Be conscious of your surroundings. Everything from other road users, to the surface you are driving on to, the the painted lines that mark the road! Anticipate the worst case scenario.
    * never ride beyond your ability.

This just shows that you really couldn't give a fug about biking or the whole biking culture. If no young lads come into biking it could well die off which would be a travesty imo.

That's the kind of argument used by the cigarette industry MM.

So what that I don't care very much for "biking culture" (as defined by you). This is about someone asking about the dangers of motorcycling and being told about same by someone experienced enough in the plusses and minus' to comment. Its a thread about pragmatics - not passion.

Look at it this way perhaps. AF isn't my son but suppose for a moment that he was. In that case you'd likely better understand why I wouldn't give a flying jump for your "biking culture" views - in my attempt to convince my son not to step onto a motorcycle. My not knowing AF doesn't mean I care that much less about his being killed or seriously injured.

Last year alone I personally attended 5 fundraisers for various charities including make a wish, dsi and childrens hospital. This is a part of the biking culture that you have no interest in. This type of funraising will die off if theres no one to organise it

I've no desire to downplay this good work. However, any fraternity can get together to fundraise. Don't taxi's do something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭kirving

First of all I don't have a motorbike, however, I cycle a fair bit and I can't see anything wrong with antiskeptic recommending a bicycle.

I know that you do not necessarily have to be a good cyclist(as the OP says he is not) to be a good biker, but cycling too teaches you that you are very vulnerable on the roads. Many of the same hazards affect both cylists and bikers(people not seeing you, car dooers opening, wet roads, etc.) and getting a bit of experience on a bike(even for balance, etc.) cannot be bad advice.

As far as not stopping at lights goes, its up to the cyclist but it can be very risky at busy junctions.

faceman wrote: »
    antiskeptic, not sure what message you are trying to give, but you have me scratching my head.

I thought it was plain enough. Learner riders: considering taking up commuting biking? My advice is don't. If you insist on taking up biking then do yourself a favour and avoid commuting for a couple of years.

Any experienced ones out there ever come back from wintersun and find their first day back commuting involving a wet, school-morning, snarled up journey?

It's like heading into the pit of Hell compared to your relaxing on a beach but 24 hours before :)

* never ride beyond your ability.

Which brings me back to the chicken an egg dilemma for a learner rider. The learner doesn't know about his lack of ability in order that he can follow this piece of advice.

• Advertisement

That's the kind of argument used by the cigarette industry MM.

So what that I don't care very much for "biking culture" (as defined by you). This is about someone asking about the dangers of motorcycling and being told about same by someone experienced enough in the plusses and minus' to comment. Its a thread about pragmatics - not passion.

Look at it this way perhaps. AF isn't my son but suppose for a moment that he was. In that case you'd likely better understand why I wouldn't give a flying jump for your "biking culture" views - in my attempt to convince my son not to step onto a motorcycle. My not knowing AF doesn't mean I care that much less about his being killed or seriously injured.

I've no desire to downplay this good work. However, any fraternity can get together to fundraise. Don't taxi's do something like that?

as said, he was looking for advise. All you gave him was a lot of negatives from an obviously bitter older man.

when my son is old enough I'll be the first one to help him get into biking. People have heart attacks playin GAA FFS. Any thing worth doing has elements of danger. You can't get away from it. I just hope that no-one listens to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

25 years of 365 riding in the bag and this is what I'd have to say.

1) That 25 years of experience has not only revealed motorcycling (especially town commuting motorcycling) to be the equivilent of walking point duty in Vietnam, it's also taught me how to maximise the chances of survival whilst walking point duty in Vietnam.

2) Without that 25 years (or at least a good chunk of it) under your belt you're like a lamb to the slaughter. The dangers are so numerous, so subtle , so ever present - you're literally walking across a minefield blindfold. Even if your a sensible type who knows that bikes need to be treated with respect you're only a whisker ahead of the youth who thinks he can nail it open and head for the horizon. You simply can't see the danger when you've no experience and the only true way you'll learn about it is through near misses and/or accidents.

Which presents you with the very best reason to stay clear of motorcycles. The dilemma which is impossible to resolve.

"You can't ensure a reasonable chance of healthy survival without gaining experience. You can't gain the experience necessary to ensure healty survival without first running unacceptable risks".

The usual way this dilemma is overcome is to be young, stupid and fortunate enough to survive long enough. Many don't survive it. Many more are permanently and painfully disabled by it.

3) In order to be injured in a car crash you have be very unlucky or crash at reasonably high speed. Every incident on a motorcycle lends itself to potentially horrific injuries or death. A driver opens his door to empty his ashtray in stopped traffic, your driving gingerly by at 10mph, get knocked off by him ... and your legs are run over by a truck coming the opposite way. The world abounds with motorcyclists who haven't been killed or paralysed from the neck down. They've just smashed limbs and incurred permanent nerve damage and can look forward to those injuries debilitating their lives as they get older.

4) Rider training won't do it for you. It's better than nothing but it just can't cut the risk to acceptable level.

5) In skilled hands the right bike for the job can be rendered a reasonably safe beast. Wet, greasy cold roads - the like which you'd see a lot of if town commuting is your game - calls for the very best of skills and the greatest levels of alertness. If you'd balk at the notion of riding around at town speeds in the wet with no brakes - for such is the level of predictive skill required to ride safely in the wet - then commuting motorcycling isn't for you

6) I commuted Bray/Finglas/Bray for 7 years. Every few of days you'd see a bent moped/motorcycle leaning against a railing with debris from the recent collision littering the buslane.

7) Bike gear won't protect you from moderate to serious injury. You stop road rash and cracking your skull open .. is all. There's plenty more to injure that just your skin and your skull.

8) The chances are high that if you start out riding a bike you'll fall-off/crash - I don't know anyone who hasn't. The chances are also high that you'll get away with mild-moderate injury in those crashes. However, there is nothing separating getting a minor injury from getting a quality-of-life-destroying injury... except luck (or God whether you believe in him or not). You asked what folks most serious injury was? The front wheel of my motorcycle locked up at 80mph flinging me to the deck where I slid along - on my side of the road - for a couple of hundred yards. I knocked a 2 euro sized piece of flesh from one kneecap which only required a few stitches. A lad down the road from me T-boned a car pulling out of a side road at around 30mph and is spending the rest of his life in a wheel chair.

thanks dude..u've just put me off the whole bike thing I was going through..
    very true as I can see the exact same with the brother who'd had, luckily minor crashes and emerged relatively unscathed.

Any experienced ones out there ever come back from wintersun and find their first day back commuting involving a wet, school-morning, snarled up journey?

It's like heading into the pit of Hell compared to your relaxing on a beach but 24 hours before :)

This makes no sense. You live in Ireland boss. 300 of the days of the year are like this.:confused::confused: Of course everyone would prefer to be on holiday instead of commuting. You really do come across very bitter about biking.

Which brings me back to the chicken an egg dilemma for a learner rider. The learner doesn't know about his lack of ability in order that he can follow this piece of advice.

The first time I got on a bike was when I picked up my first bike brand new from the dealer. Within a week I had an off on black ice late at night. No amount of expierence would have helped me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

You really do come across very bitter about biking.

I thought this too, but I am coming around to [some] of his views.

There are many reasons to take up biking, but purely for saving 20mins commute time is not one of them.

Biking is about enjoyment, and I am pretty sure that Antiskeptic has had many enjoyable years driving.

Indeed, I even enjoy commuting. Not many car drivers / bus passengers can say that. However, I am all too aware that the enjoyment can be tempered at any instant, and that in such a case I will always be worst off.

People should get a bike, if they want to get a bike, not because they feel like they have to get a bike to serve some other purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Biking, something mulled over for a while myself, interested to get into it but think I'll be going for a 125 unless I can get a 250 thats low power to match my low experience.
    it'll be for commuting as I have zero interest in getting that sodding 25a or any other rubbish service wher e I need to get on two buses and and 2 hours journey.
    Money is a bit of an issue lately so was suprised to see price of insurance after years in the car (Car handy for the shopping and lugging tools around so I'll be keeping it unless my other half gets something bigger than a 1litre I can use)

From what I can see, buy the best gear you can afford, get some paid lessons.
    So any tips on insurance reduction other than taking a course? can you fob one insurance crowd off against another?

Personally I like the Suzuki GN type of bike, friend of mine gave me some derisory looks when I said that but he's into fast bikes.

This makes no sense. You live in Ireland boss. 300 of the days of the year are like this.:confused::confused: Of course everyone would prefer to be on holiday instead of commuting. You really do come across very bitter about biking.

After the initial shock of first-morning-back-commuting I'd slot into normal mode and get on with it (and enjoy the challenge).

The learner has 2 disadvantages:

- he doesn't see the Hell that's actually there
    - he had no normal mode to slot back into in response to it.

The first time I got on a bike was when I picked up my first bike brand new from the dealer. Within a week I had an off on black ice late at night. No amount of expierence would have helped me there.

You're saying that you'd be in the same position today as you would have been 10 years ago. That there is nothing you've learned in the intervening time that would have altered the outcome? That your ability to predict the possible dangers (for a given set of weather conditions) hasn't been altered by 10 winters?

Merch wrote: »
    already decided

Given that and given..
    it'll be for commuting as I have zero interest in getting that sodding 25a or any other rubbish service wher e I need to get on two buses and and 2 hours journey.

...you've considered and rejected cycling. :)

Biking, something mulled over for a while myself, interested to get into it but think I'll be going for a 125 unless I can get a 250 thats low power to match my low experience.

I'd go for something with a bit of power. I'd a bike stolen and hired a GN125 and it was the most lethal thing I've ever ridden. It has only enough power to accelerate at the same rate as traffic from lights - meaning you loose one of a bikes defense mechanisms: the ability to be able to squirt out of danger by virtue of acceleration.

Terrifying.

Ultimately, you need to be the one to control your speed so it doesn't matter what size bike you buy in that regard: you can go too fast on any sized bike. If fearing acceleration will be too sharp you can alter the sprockets for minor cost to reduce the "savagery" of the acceleration of a more powerful bike. 250 would be the min I'd go for.

Personally I like the Suzuki GN type of bike, friend of mine gave me some derisory looks when I said that but he's into fast bikes.

A solid enough learner bike.

nereid wrote: »
    Biking is about enjoyment, and I am pretty sure that Antiskeptic has had many enjoyable years driving.

Only one driving in fact :). But I'm taking to it like a duck to water: window wipers, heaters, sound, safety, lights that do more than glow in the dark. Why didn't anyone tell me about this before!!

The great thing is that I don't have to chase a powerful car buzz - as nothing can compare to the acceleration of a bike. Which means I can trundle along quiet happily at 55 on the M50 in this dog of an Escort of mine and let the fast boys whizz by.

Heaven!

Indeed, I even enjoy commuting. Not many car drivers / bus passengers can say that. However, I am all too aware that the enjoyment can be tempered at any instant, and that in such a case I will always be worst off.

Which hazard do you hate most. The one against which you reckon theres virtually no defence I mean?

After the initial shock of first-morning-back-commuting I'd slot into normal mode and get on with it (and enjoy the challenge).

The learner has 2 disadvantages:

- he doesn't see the Hell that's actually there
    - he had no normal mode to slot back into in response to it.

You're saying that you'd be in the same position today as you would have been 10 years ago. That there is nothing you've learned in the intervening time that would have altered the outcome? That your ability to predict the possible dangers (for a given set of weather conditions) hasn't been altered by 10 winters?

It comes down to this - you consider biking hell and I don't regardless of any conditions

I've forgotten more than most people know but black ice is black ice. No amount of training will help you in that situation.

• Advertisement

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Complete rubbish. As with most of your opinions in this thread.

Let's have a look then..
    So if it was a cyclist who got T-boned . It would be 50% the cyclists fault? He would be near the kerb. No. If it was a pedestrian, who also has right of way, would it still be 50% his fault? Hey it must be. He cant be seen at a quick glace.

The bike rider was poorly positioned on the road. It's not in the rules of the road - its in the rules of experience. The cyclist hasn't the opportunity to re-position. Nor does the pedestrian. The biker does.

If the biker without experience want's to 100% blame the car driver for his lack of experience then so be it. And there I was thinking I was being generous!

The Biker Had right of way . Clear cut. You have a very strange point of view and should think twice about advising young lads with your viet Nam stories and how you would ride your push bike through red lights.

You're free to advise them to ride in the gutter - because they have "a right of way". Each to their own.

Your MENTAL posts have made it onto more than one forum by now. The countries bikers are having a right old sneer at your crazy posts.

Hi "countries bikers"!

Advertisement