Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Didn't know Bernard Connolly was dead, how long ago and what happened to him,he was one nice fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

marlin vs wrote: »
    Didn't know Bernard Connolly was dead, how long ago and what happened to him,he was one nice fella.

Bernard died a few year's ago suddenly. He was living and working as a teacher in Cork. He was one bright lad going to school I often copied his homework to save from the sore hand disease that was rampant in Mount Sion back in the 60's. He would never say no and would try to make you understand the homework we were given. A born teacher. The Connolly's were lovely neighbour's.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151165476217162&set=a.10150507375342162.395856.165413427161&type=1&theater

I'm sure there are a lot of faces here that will be recognized. See anyone you know Doc.
    RIP Bernard Connolly old class mate and neighbour.
    Sad to hear that Bernard has died - one nice guy. I loved his fathers shop.
    I remember everyone Mac, but the names escape me. Apart from Bernard, Terry O'Rourke, Michael Forristal, Liam Walsh and, of course, Fintan O'Carroll - pure Gentleman! His son Fergus was a nice guy too, albeit a bit crazy at that time. HaHa!

Look what I found............

• Advertisement

That shop was a real meeting point for Barrack St and the surrounding neighbourhood, the characters that used to be there and the conversations that went on were gas. Do you remember blind Martin Sullivan and his black labrador guide dog. He would often be in there and it always amazed me I could walk in on a conversation with himself and Michael and without opening my mouth Martin would greet me by name. Although it often annoyed me when I was young and impatient waiting to be served while some conversation would be taking place that way of life is really gone now and I really miss that friendliness. There was always a warm greeting in that shop. Always thought Michael was a very clever man he was very well up on any topic that was being discussed I never remember him without a smile on his face. He was a fair man to slag as well always in a lighthearted way. Julia his wife is a real lady. Very simple times but I have some very warm memories of Connolly's shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

That shop was a real meeting point for Barrack St and the surrounding neighbourhood, the characters that used to be there and the conversations that went on were gas. Do you remember blind Martin Sullivan and his black labrador guide dog. He would often be in there and it always amazed me I could walk in on a conversation with himself and Michael and without opening my mouth Martin would greet me by name. Although it often annoyed me when I was young and impatient waiting to be served while some conversation would be taking place that way of life is really gone now and I really miss that friendliness. There was always a warm greeting in that shop. Always thought Michael was a very clever man he was very well up on any topic that was being discussed I never remember him without a smile on his face. He was a fair man to slag as well always in a lighthearted way. Julia his wife is a real lady. Very simple times but I have some very warm memories of Connolly's shop.

Where exactly was Connolly's shop in Barrack street. When did it close down?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Where exactly was Connolly's shop in Barrack street. When did it close down?

Right next to what is now Kitty Kiernan's as a mater of fact the pubs off licence was where Connolly's shop once stood. It closed down in the late nineties a few year's after the sudden death of Michael. Julia carried on for a while but her heart was broken. I do not reside in Waterford anymore so exact dates escape me.

Right next to what is now Kitty Kiernan's as a mater of fact the pubs off licence was where Connolly's shop once stood. It closed down in the late nineties a few year's after the sudden death of Michael. Julia carried on for a while but her heart was broken. I do not reside in Waterford anymore so exact dates escape me.

Did there used to be some video games in there as well?

Did there used to be some video games in there as well?
    I can't imagine anybody being allowed to run a video games arcade so close to a school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

My grandparents lived in No. 38 between Connolly's and the bookies...... reading your posts bringing back a lot of memories now..... remember your family well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Things have changed so much over the years here I not so sure for the better though ... anyone remember shop on corner around where boyle sports bookies is on yellow rd now old couple ran it lived at top of green st I think wife died few years back but still see the man around ..

doctordon wrote: »
    I can't imagine anybody being allowed to run a video games arcade so close to a school?

There was one on Barrack street ok. It only had two or three games though.

There was one on Barrack street ok. It only had two or three games though.
    Christ! When I was a kid, shopkeepers made a fortune on Stinkbombs, Klackers, Peashooters and Itching Powder! Arcade games??? I remember "Pong" for fcuk sake! This was the first ever popular arcade game and it was science fiction as far as we were concerned! At the time it was absatively and posalutely amazing! Now, compared to modern day arcade games, it's just boring.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pong
    http://youtu.be/pDrRnJOCKZc
    http://youtu.be/hj-N0zYrS7o:eek:

Christ! When I was a kid, shopkeepers made a fortune on Stinkbombs, Klackers, Peashooters and Itching Powder! Arcade games??? I remember "Pong" for fcuk sake! This was the first ever popular arcade game and it was science fiction as far as we were concerned! At the time it was absatively and posalutely amazing! Now, compared to modern day arcade games, it's just boring.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pong
    http://youtu.be/pDrRnJOCKZc
    http://youtu.be/hj-N0zYrS7o:eek:

I remember ages back I bought of compilation of arcade games that I used to play in Sullies, Franks and the Savoy for my xbox.

Crikey I couldn't believe how dull and boring they are compared to the modern games.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

Monica!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

0rt wrote: »
    Monica!

Haha, whatever happened to her?

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Haha, whatever happened to her?
    She got sense!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

Any cleaboy heads should remember "Doc's Shop" and Cystalvision video store. Used to only go into Doc's to see Karen who used to work there back in the day. I would have only been about 8-12 years old and she was only 3-4 years older i think but we all had a soft spot for her. Askin for 100 penney jellies :D

And i remember a chap called John used to work in crystalvision had an english accent, nice chap, used to be about 20 lads hang out in there chattin to him about football!

While I'm here I used to love going in to the Cleaboy pub on a sunday morning at 12 with my dad and cousin. We'd play pool and he'd have 1 or 2 pints before we headed home for the roast. Happy days :)

I remember years ago there used to be an add on WLRFM giving out a long list of Waterford garages that would have nothing to do with Japanese imported cars.

Anyone know what that was all about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

eddie rocketts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 CaptainScauld

I remember years ago there used to be an add on WLRFM giving out a long list of Waterford garages that would have nothing to do with Japanese imported cars.

Anyone know what that was all about?
    They were too well built?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

leduke wrote: »
    eddie rocketts!

Seems like only yesterday :rolleyes:

I hate cussy pats!

How To Clean Your Toilet - The Fun Way
    ticked-off cat ;-)

Put both lids of the toilet up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water in the bowl.
    Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.
    In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids. You may need to stand on the lid.
    The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.
    Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power-wash" and rinse".
    Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the front door.
    Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.
    The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.
    Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.

Easter has been and gone.

Next year - please spare a thought for the runny babbits!!

images.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Anyone remember Lonergan's Bakery on Bridge Street. I think the family lived on the Cork Rd. Their bread was gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I hate cussy pats!

How To Clean Your Toilet - The Fun Way
    ticked-off cat ;-)

Put both lids of the toilet up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water in the bowl.
    Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.
    In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids. You may need to stand on the lid.
    The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.
    Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power-wash" and rinse".
    Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the front door.
    Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.
    The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.
    Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.

I've no idea what this is doing here but well done it made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

watermark wrote: »
    Any cleaboy heads should remember "Doc's Shop" and Cystalvision video store. Used to only go into Doc's to see Karen who used to work there back in the day. I would have only been about 8-12 years old and she was only 3-4 years older i think but we all had a soft spot for her. Askin for 100 penney jellies :D

And i remember a chap called John used to work in crystalvision had an english accent, nice chap, used to be about 20 lads hang out in there chattin to him about football!

doc's was great! i remember getting a 100 pound note for my confirmation and going in to karen asking for 10 penny jellies for the craic.she told me to hold on to the note and gave the jellies for free! also remember that doc's would also sell mr. freeze either frozen or in liquid form.

your man John was gas. mad aston villa fan and always wearing his colours. he used to go around in a red bedford 'royal mail' van for a while.
    think he's living in tramore the last few years.

I've no idea what this is doing here but well done it made me laugh.
    Ajolopies! Wrong forum. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Ajolopies! Wrong forum. :eek:[/QUOTE

If you made someone laugh you are never in the wrong forum:D

Advertisement