Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

What was the name of that music shop in John's Street back in the mid 1980s? It was around the corner from Abrekebabra and it wasn't Cantwells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Am i dreaming or was there a shop called An Siopa just to the left of the park (where the garage is now) run by one or two old ladies who used to speak Irish?? Anyone else remember this, I think they used to just sell sweets, bread and milk, it was a small enough shop..

I thought an Siopa was the shop up by the apple market?

Anyways, do people remember the shop on Patrick's Street just across from the pictures. Two old ladies use to run that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Run by 3 sisters from Cork as far as I remember - Alice, Queenie and cant remember the 3rd ones name - all 3 mad as a bag of ferrets

Alice Margaret and Queenie were the three ladies and they were proud Kerry women. when they retired they went back to live in the Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dunphy3

shapez wrote: »
    Not from Waterford but I do remember these over the years...

- Dusty carpark where City Square stands now
    - Quinnsworth
    - 2 way traffic from clock tower up through red square, down by Wacky Apple and onto Cork Rd.
    - Old road to Waterford from New Ross before existing one was built
    - Roxy
    - The Metroland
    - B&L on the docks
    - The Befey King (Where Abracadabra is now)
    - The Infirmary when it was used for patients
    - The old bridge with two way traffic
    - Going out by Sally Pk. hoping the rocks didn't tumble down on top of the car before new road was built

I'll add more as I think of them... :D
    jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Anyone remember that chipper across the road from the old cinema on Patrick Street called Skippers?? Used to head down there as a lad when I was up in De La Salle primary school and get some great deals like a big bag of chips, bottle of coke and 2 battered sausages for just a pound :D

• Advertisement

Wasn't there a place called ANCO or something out on the estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Bards

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Anyways, do people remember the shop on Patrick's Street just across from the pictures. Two old ladies use to run that as well.

The Mayfair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a place called ANCO or something out on the estate?

Anco was where you went to learn trades it was renamed FAS in the late 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

SubBusted wrote: »
    What was the name of that music shop in John's Street back in the mid 1980s? It was around the corner from Abrekebabra and it wasn't Cantwells.

Bernie's video shop?

Abrekebabra used to be up by AIB bank in Michael st in the late 80s, or do you mean the new Abrekebabra?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭webpal

Sinnotts, I think, they had another one in Michael st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Anyone remember that chipper across the road from the old cinema on Patrick Street called Skippers?? Used to head down there as a lad when I was up in De La Salle primary school and get some great deals like a big bag of chips, bottle of coke and 2 battered sausages for just a pound :D

Loved Skippers. They had the nicest battered sausages ever. Fitzmaurices newsagents in broad street shopping centre. They have every flavour of slush puppy

webpal wrote: »
    Sinnotts, I think, they had another one in Michael st
    Nope, this was a large musical instrument shop (more classical than trad). It was where KFC is now.

I remember a quaint little jewelry shop in Lisduggan Shopping Centre. I can't remember the name but it always seemed busy so don't understand why it closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Maybe I'm imagining this but was there once a shop down on the quay around where Johhny Hearnes was that sold sheet music and maybe records? I have a vague memory of being in Ireland as a kid on holidays from Oz in the late 60's and going into a shop down that way and seeing sheet music. Then again, it could have been a different town in a different country for all I remember :p

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

old gregg wrote: »
    Maybe I'm imagining this but was there once a shop down on the quay around where Johhny Hearnes was that sold sheet music and maybe records? I have a vague memory of being in Ireland as a kid on holidays from Oz in the late 60's and going into a shop down that way and seeing sheet music. Then again, it could have been a different town in a different country for all I remember :p

No your memory is bang on, Howard's Music Shop was next to Mackey's Menswear which was next door to John Hearne Ironmonger's.
    Always felt guilty about a prank I pulled on the two old ladies that ran the shop.It was back in the early '70s and this shop mainly dealt in classical music myself and a few friends went in looking for a Led Zeppelin album, sure the two old dears gave us a look of astonishment telling us they never heard of this group.
    I passed by a few weeks later and there in the window of Howard's was the album Led Zeppelin 3, I was too embarrassed to go in there after that. The truth be known those two ladies would buy and sell me with their knowledge of Classical music which I taught was rubbish then. How stupid I was thinking this was a great laugh then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The most random memory popped into my head the other day.

Stone or block walls with mortar on the top and bits of broken glass bottles stuck into the the mortar to discourage kids from climbing the wall.
    I remember them from Viewmount and they were either the big wall by the tennis courts or the alley way that used to go from the bottom of cypress grove through to just up from the tennis courts.

What sort of a$$hole would come up with that idea?

Stone or block walls with mortar on the top and bits of broken glass bottles stuck into the the mortar to discourage kids from climbing the wall.
    I remember them from Viewmount and they were either the big wall by the tennis courts or the alley way that used to go from the bottom of cypress grove through to just up from the tennis courts.

AFAIk, it's quite illegal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I remember every Cash and Carry my mother would go to had that. I always wondered how valuable the stock was that they'd go to that much trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

chinese man that use to come to the corner of Larchville and Sunrise Cresent and sell really nice curry chips........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    No your memory is bang on, Howard's Music Shop was next to Mackey's Menswear which was next door to John Hearne Ironmonger's.
    Always felt guilty about a prank I pulled on the two old ladies that ran the shop.It was back in the early '70s and this shop mainly dealt in classical music myself and a few friends went in looking for a Led Zeppelin album, sure the two old dears gave us a look of astonishment telling us they never heard of this group.
    I passed by a few weeks later and there in the window of Howard's was the album Led Zeppelin 3, I was too embarrassed to go in there after that. The truth be known those two ladies would buy and sell me with their knowledge of Classical music which I taught was rubbish then. How stupid I was thinking this was a great laugh then.

Wow, thanks for that. I was starting to believe it was all in my imagination. Great story about Led Zeppelin 3. When I read that my first thought was that it was exactly the type of thing I'd have done had I been here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Used to love a chip butty or 2 from Skippers on the way home from Breens of a Friday night! How long are they closed now, 3 years? Prob my favourite chipper in town!

I remember being in there one night, there used to be a very friendly girl working there who had, lets just say, a very ample chest. Anyway a guy comes in after a feed of beer, gets up to the counter:

"Next there please"
    "I want to stick my *ahem* in between your big boobs!!"
    "Well I can't help you with that"
    "Ok I'll have a chip and a battered so, thanks!"

I don't know if it was her cool reaction to the whole thing or the way he went from a drunken perv into someone who'd come in for their Friday night tea in the space of 10 seconds but I couldn't stop laughing!

Also the cries of "A chip and a taxi" every friday night in there when you were asked what do you want!

The ham blaas in Cullinane's shop on Mayor's Walk were something else too! Best in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

kfallon wrote: »
    Used to love a chip butty or 2 from Skippers on the way home from Breens of a Friday night! How long are they closed now, 3 years? Prob my favourite chipper in town!

I remember being in there one night, there used to be a very friendly girl working there who had, lets just say, a very ample chest. Anyway a guy comes in after a feed of beer, gets up to the counter:

"Next there please"
    "I want to stick my *ahem* in between your big boobs!!"
    "Well I can't help you with that"
    "Ok I'll have a chip and a battered so, thanks!"

I don't know if it was her cool reaction to the whole thing or the way he went from a drunken perv into someone who'd come in for their Friday night tea in the space of 10 seconds but I couldn't stop laughing!

Also the cries of "A chip and a taxi" every friday night in there when you were asked what do you want!
    It's closed a lot longer than 3 years I'd say. Mizoni pizza is there about 4 years, and it was a chipper before that( maybe even 2 different ones) and then Skippers.

It's closed a lot longer than 3 years I'd say. Mizoni pizza is there about 4 years, and it was a chipper before that( maybe even 2 different ones) and then Skippers.

Jaysus time flies! Used to love the place after a night out. Changing your mind about twenty times in the queue as to what you want! Was so disheartening to turn onto Patricks St to see a queue coming out the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

They had that on the walls of Newtown school (Passage Road) as well.

What was the name of the video game arcade across the road from Geoff's?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭archicraft

What was the name of the video game arcade across the road from Geoff's?

think it was franks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Mortgages.

Litter

• Advertisement

Monica

Advertisement