Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 man with van

egans bar
    bobby megees bar
    club la( now masons
    preachers
    the old stand bar
    sheffins bar(now harveys)

used to get threw these bars on a saturday nite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Anyone else remember when the original Coachmans pub got in a big screen video in the early 80's and started showing horror films at the weekend. It all started out with old Hammer movies but after a few weeks got more and more dodgy with I Spit on Your Grave, The Many Faces of Death, etc ... until it was bordering on snuff stuff. They stopped then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

old gregg wrote: »
    Anyone else remember when the original Coachmans pub got in a big screen video in the early 80's and started showing horror films at the weekend. It all started out with old Hammer movies but after a few weeks got more and more dodgy with I Spit on Your Grave, The Many Faces of Death, etc ... until it was bordering on snuff stuff. They stopped then.

Remember it well. The video The Hills Have Eyes is the one I remember watching.
    They used to say at the time this form of entertainment was going to kill the music pubs.
    When you look back now those video's were rubbish its hard to believe that some of this trash was actually remade in the last few years.

did ye mention the Chuck wagon and the little sweet shop that was between the USA bargain stores and Geoffs, used to always get me coconut mushrooms in there before heading back to the roundabout to thumb home to Tramore. Do ya remember thumbing a lift in the good old days?

oh and the motorcycle centre on the quay, nearly forgot that.

• Advertisement

did ye mention the Chuck wagon and the little sweet shop that was between the USA bargain stores and Geoffs, used to always get me coconut mushrooms in there before heading back to the roundabout to thumb home to Tramore. Do ya remember thumbing a lift in the good old days?

Many a day I thumbed to Tramore due to lack of funds and still had a great day.
    Even got a lift from the Gaurds on one occasion as far as the Black Rock to where the yellow margin is so we would be safe and ended up walking home as nobody would stop out there to give us a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Many a day I thumbed to Tramore due to lack of funds and still had a great day.
    Even got a lift from the Gaurds on one occasion as far as the Black Rock to where the yellow margin is so we would be safe and ended up walking home as nobody would stop out there to give us a lift.

I think the Guards were taking the píss when they gave you a lift out that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dzilla

Peugout on the quay, bmw in the glen, the old bus station and the chaos parking and dropping people over, silver waterford creamary trucks, old fashioned bars that haven't had the heart, soul and character refurbushed out of them,

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Brother Corneluis in St Stephen's Street school, got in trouble for calling him a 'bollix' in the Scouts but it was someone else. He had us marching around one evening for about two hours to get ready for the St Patrick's Day parade. Great to see him in the news this week!

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I think the Guards were taking the píss when they gave you a lift out that far.

No we were given a stern lecture on the rules of the road and were told if caught again it would mean a spin to the barracks with a summons for our troubles. When you are 13 or 14 that can frighten the sh*t out of you.
    We were right tippers then we used to commit crimes like playing ball on the road, knockadolly and thumbing to Tramore which mean't walking on the wrong side of the road. Real hardened criminals you could say as we got older though we moved on to driving in from Katie's Reilly's with a few large bottle's on board. Now there was some scary nights but looking back on it now it was madness but sure the Glass was in full flight and money was no object. Most of us were earning a wage at 16 yrs of age and hadn't a brain in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

That was Fred James shop, and it was called The Motorcycle People, and you also had Willie Reagens on the Manor what a man to fix a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

SubBusted wrote: »
    Brother Corneluis in St Stephen's Street school, got in trouble for calling him a 'bollix' in the Scouts but it was someone else. He had us marching around one evening for about two hours to get ready for the St Patrick's Day parade. Great to see him in the news this week!
    NEWS ROOM:Trial of former Brother continues today at #Waterford Circuit Court.
    Closing submissions will be heard today in the trial of a former Brother, accused of indecently assaulting a pupil at a primary school in Waterford City in the late 70's and early '80s. Con Desmond of Ennis, Co Clare, has pleaded not guilty to indecently assaulting a pupil at the De La Salle National School on Stephen Street in Waterford City 13 times between September 1977 and June 1980. He was known as Br Cornelius and later became a priest.Yesterday at Waterford Circuit court, evidence was heard from the mother of the alleged victim, a former member of the Board of Management at the school, and other witnesses who gave brief statements.

http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/172708.html

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

The huge play area with slides and stuff where pcworld is now. Loved that place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Bards

and the little sweet shop that was between the USA bargain stores and Geoffs

O'Connors

marlin vs wrote: »
    That was Fred James shop, and it was called The Motorcycle People, and you also had Willie Reagens on the Manor what a man to fix a motorbike.

If I am not mistaken is Fred a brother of George in the Motorcycle shop in Gorey and Marcus in Mayors walk worked in the shop on the Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 trpsarge

Double decker buses where you could get from Lismore Park to Johns park for 10p, smoke fags upstairs, and go round the town for the day watching everything from above and never have to get off.

Sometimes you got to know the conductors and drivers, have a smoke with them and it would even cost you the money.

From the age of about 13 to about 20 I almost grew up with the conductors and drivers and almost like 'friends' used to go from Lismore Park to Ard na Greine, quick smoke and a chat before going on a date,real easy going, no wonder CIE never made a bob.

Going to the Kill disco

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Teddy Gillfoyles magic shop in Patricks st up from the Regina! Used to sell little bangers with a fuse on em. We used to light them off a cigarette and throw them down from the Gods in the regal and the Col!:D

oh yeah. And smoking and especially having a pretty dacent court in the Cinemas (when the lights went down of course:o)!

Godsentme wrote: »
    Teddy Gillfoyles magic shop in Patricks st up from the Regina! Used to sell little bangers with a fuse on em. We used to light them off a cigarette and throw them down from the Gods in the regal and the Col!:D

oh yeah. And smoking and especially having a pretty dacent court in the Cinemas (when the lights went down of course:o)!

Oh baby when the lights went out.
    What great memories there.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

What was the name of that video library beside Revolution in the late 1980s? Owned by a couple from Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What was the name of that video library beside Revolution in the late 1980s? Owned by a couple from Northern Ireland.

Strand video? It was still there up to 2002 if thats the one you recall, cant remember any other down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Bernie's Video

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

Oh baby when the lights went out.
    What great memories there.
    Ah yea Mac! But what about the wannabe moral police with their flashlights? BASTARDS! Manys the amorous moment they destroyed! I was convinced that they hid until things began to heat up and then pounced - flashlights directed at you from every conceivable angle!!:eek:

Its a bit of a vague one, but compared to my friends kids that are now in their early 20's, we all a had flats at 18 / 19.

There was no bus home when I started working so, I moved out as soon as possible. It was only a £15 a week flat in O O'Connell St, but more 20 year olds live at home now, how do they manage to 'court'!

I remember thinking how cool and modern Adelphi Quay looked when they were built!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 trpsarge

You had a whole Flat...four of us shared a house in Mall lane...which had half a dozen pubs a chinese and a chipper in spitting distance!

doctordon wrote: »
    Ah yea Mac! But what about the wannabe moral police with their flashlights? BASTARDS! Manys the amorous moment they destroyed! I was convinced that they hid until things began to heat up and then pounced - flashlights directed at you from every conceivable angle!!:eek:
    I'm convinced it was a conspiracy. How are things Doc. This thread is like a memory it keeps coming back.

I'm convinced it was a conspiracy. How are things Doc. This thread is like a memory it keeps coming back.
    Things are good Mac -Busy, busy. Hope all is well in Carrick!:)

trpsarge wrote: »
    You had a whole Flat...four of us shared a house in Mall lane...which had half a dozen pubs a chinese and a chipper in spitting distance!

2 single beds, a kitchen behind a curtain and a 'bathroom' beside the front door!

Couldn't ask for anything more, Roxy down stairs! Downes around the corner. :D

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    2 single beds, a kitchen behind a curtain and a 'bathroom' beside the front door!

Couldn't ask for anything more, Roxy down stairs! Downes around the corner. :D
    Corner of Mary Street and Dye house Lane. Great flat, very roomy! The bed actually DID fold into a wardrobe!!!! Take a girl home on the spur of the moment..........How da FCUK(!) are you supposed to get the bed out of the wardrobe............casual like - with six pints inside you? I learned that the ONLY way to achieve it was to wait for her to ask "Where do you sleep"? BINGO! ;)

• Advertisement

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151165476217162&set=a.10150507375342162.395856.165413427161&type=1&theater

I'm sure there are a lot of faces here that will be recognized. See anyone you know Doc.
    RIP Bernard Connolly old class mate and neighbour.

Advertisement