Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ferrari 575 Maranello F1 written off in Sandyford this morning (All Threads Merged)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

pred racer wrote: »
    :D

That ferrari is probably up for sale on ebay with light frontal damage :-)

Slight dent on bonnet, crack in both headlamps, mark on wing (can be polished out) Slight kerbing to both front alloys. No serious chassis damage, airbags intact (but out). Car is driving.

Buy your place in motoring history by being a clown and spending 100k on a car thats almost wrote off in a recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

TomMc wrote: »
    But who would spend serious money on a crash repaired one. Just because it might look like mainly cosmetic damage, doesn't mean the steering will feel right even if repaired. Never mind the integrity of the car as a whole.

Fixing wrecked exotics reminds me of Trigger and his broom with all those new heads and handles.:D

people would queue up to buy it if it was cheap enough after repairs... no matter what damage was repaired..

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

ned78 wrote: »
    Source?

Very reliable source, was at the scene!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Sad to see a Ferrari like that, hope all involved were ok....:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Not many drivers can say their car was wrote off by a ferrari lol.

Glad no one was hurt tho despite what looked like a heavy enough impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Zube wrote: »
    wtf? Why do Enzos keep breaking in half? Is it like the Starship Enterprise, where they have to eject the Warp Core in an accident before it explodes?

Reminds me of the time the stick of dynamite blew the terminator in half in the original:P The front bit kept crawling... Or maybe the Ferrari's are like the T1000's in T2 and just come back together magically:confused:

Anyway, back to point... The Pug is up on the path and in the fence; I walk that path twice a week with my kids in the pram! Thankful no one was killed on the path!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

From the Evening Herald:
    By Cormac Murphy

Wednesday March 11 2009

A top-of-the-range Ferrari worth €160,000 was wrecked in a road accident in Dublin's Sandyford.
    The flash Ferrari 575 Maranello F1 from Des Cullen Cars on Blackthorn Road in Sandyford hit a blue Peugot 307 yesterday. Trevor Musgrave of Des Cullen Cars said the only casualty was the car.

Valeted
    The accident happened on the way back to the showroom after the car had been valeted.
    A contributor to the Boards.ie website commented: "It was only a matter of time. There's two lanes there coming down from the Beacon court, one is a right turn into Dunnes, they're not really marked that well."
    The bonnet of the Ferrari was completely ripped off in the accident. Bits of both cars were strewn across the road as members of the emergency services swept the debris away.
    Another contributor to Boards.ie said: "Look at the state of the bonnet! It's going backwards! Glad to hear everyone's alright. That's an expensive loss for Des."

Looks like the Herald reads boards - and I hope I'm not alone in thinking that quoting an anonymous internet contributor as a source of opinion for an established newspaper is pretty sub-par journalism.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

AudiChris wrote: »
    From the Evening Herald:

Looks like the Herald reads boards - and I hope I'm not alone in thinking that quoting an anonymous internet contributor as a source of opinion for an established newspaper is pretty sub-par journalism.

Well the Herald is a sub-Par paper so it makes sense really:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Very much so! No offence to everyone on here but they were really scraping for info!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

robtri wrote: »
    possibly.... but much better to get that than have it sitting outside your showroom for at least 12 months further depreciating

I'm open to correction on this but I'm pretty sure Des is more of a broker than a dealer. Himself and his dad are very well connected in well heeled motoring circles and afaik most of his stock is just being sold for somebody else, or on approval from dealers accross the pond.

He currently has three Astons, two Bentley Continentals, five Ferarris and two Porsches listed on Carzone. I can't imagine anyone would have that sort of capital tied up in stock in this country.

• Advertisement

Actually, now that I've thought about that newspaper article quoting us, could people do me a small favour?

The photos on the first post of this thread were taken by me. I haven't given authorisation to anyone to reprint or reuse them (except of course boards.ie :p).

If you see an article that uses any part of my photos, can you let me know?

Lazy journalism is one thing, but "misappropriating" copyrighted material is quite another...

Thanks!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

From the Evening Herald:

Was thinking the same myself. typical tabloid,not only did the 'Journo' not leave the office to cover the story,he didn't even leave his desk. Actually must check if they used one of the photo's posted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Actually, now that I've thought about that newspaper article quoting us, could people do me a small favour?

The photos on the first post of this thread were taken by me. I haven't given authorisation to anyone to reprint or reuse them (except of course boards.ie :p).

If you see an article that uses any part of my photos, can you let me know?

Lazy journalism is one thing, but "misappropriating" copyrighted material is quite another...

Thanks!! :D:D
    you mean like CBG using them? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

OMG I'm famous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mr Quiet

fonda wrote: »
    Valetor was not insured to drive the car and took it out for a spin, he decided to hit the sport button as he was driving to "see what it done" and lost control :eek:
    fonda wrote: »
    Very reliable source, was at the scene!

It was a valet guy and there is an issue over the insurance aspect. Valet guy lost it into oncoming traffic. Valet guy was allegedly not on the insurance policy for the valet company.

Easy to see the problems this is going to cause Des. Can he be arsed with it all any more at his age?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Mr Quiet wrote: »
    It was a valet guy and there is an issue over the insurance aspect. Valet guy lost it into oncoming traffic. Valet guy was allegedly not on the insurance policy for the valet company.

Easy to see the problems this is going to cause Des. Can he be arsed with it all any more at his age?

Where you reading this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Mr Quiet wrote: »
    Why should he worry, he's nothing to do with the dealership any more!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Victor_M wrote: »
    Well the Herald is a sub-Par paper so it makes sense really:)
    ^^^^Will they quote that ^^^^ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Funny thing is that its the 2nd Ferrari that has been wrecked in the Sandyford industrial estate. A F355 was wrecked about a 2 mins drive from where this one was ruined. Its the bermuda triangle for Ferrari`s :)

Was thinking that too... that guy was giving welly around the corner (ironically it was claimed - just after a valet too!!) and he said there was too much tyre dressing applied and he lost it and went into a wall next to a bus stop!

Creepy... both Ferrari's wrecked just after a valet in the same locality... Q that creepy music from 80's program I cannot think of the name of... :D

Just remembered... The Twilight Zone! Somethings going on for Ferrari's on Sandyford. Better stop driving mine through there.... as if!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Zube wrote: »
    wtf? Why do Enzos keep breaking in half? Is it like the Starship Enterprise, where they have to eject the Warp Core in an accident before it explodes?

....oh, that's easy. The guy that does their design used to design thermostat's on 156's, but got a promotion....... ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭MarkN

Can I just say that I know the owner of the valet company that has been linked to this and it's a bloody disgrace that some idiot on Boards has been allowed claim anyone was or wasn't insured on any policy. :mad:

And there's plenty of companies that bridge the difference of a cars price tag to the owner and the value the insurance company will pay out - if I can have one on my car I don't see why a prestige car dealer can't avail of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

From the Evening Herald:

I've suspected that for a while now. A few times now I have had that deja-vu feeling when reading some of the Heralds small sidebar 'human interest' stories and then next time I logged into boards I'd realise that I had read them all in 'Afterhours'....the day before the Herald :D

MarkN wrote: »
    Can I just say that I know the owner of the valet company that has been linked to this and it's a bloody disgrace that some idiot on Boards has been allowed claim anyone was or wasn't insured on any policy. :mad:

Fair point, this is just like the "rumour mill" for dealer closures.

There's no point in posting something you think is true here, unless you can substantiate it, especially as this involves legal liability etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You overlooked the all important "allegedly" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

peasant wrote: »
    You overlooked the all important "allegedly" :D

For all we know, Mr. Quiet made the legally recognised four-finger "air quotes" sign when he typed "allegedly", which definitely clears him of all legal and moral responsibility for spreading scurrilous rumours about businesspeople.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Funny thing is that its the 2nd Ferrari that has been wrecked in the Sandyford industrial estate. A F355 was wrecked about a 2 mins drive from where this one was ruined. Its the bermuda triangle for Ferrari`s :)

think you could be on to something... queue x-files music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

God I would hate if I had expensive stock lying around unsold for ages and then some guy writes off the car.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mr Quiet

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to insinuate anything. But if you know Tony et al I am sure you can ask them yourself.

Please come back and set the matter straight? That would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Serect user

I know the guys very well. The owner of the valeting company is great at what he does it's just unfortunate for all parties involved. Thank god no one was hurt.

I heard the guy was not insured cause he only works at the weekend normally ,but all full timers are insured. I know the owner wasn't the one who gave the keys to valetor he knew nothing about the Ferrari untill it was hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

"Rumour" has it that Des didnt own the car. Plus the price was only dropped by 40grand a couple of weeks ago cause it wasnt selling.

Where's MacGuyver when ya need him?....A bit of electrical tape, a straw, and a shoe, and he'd have the ferrari like new again!!!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement