Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Is there a jailbreak available for ios 6 yet? If so any links???

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you go to http://jailbreak-me.info/ and put details of the phone in you'll find if a jailbreak is available now (it isn't).

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-6-iphone-and-ipod-touch-a4-based-only-using-redsn0w-tutorial/
    For A4 devices there is a tethered jb, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 4th-gen only.
    You have to manually install cydia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Is there a jailbreak available for ios 6 yet? If so any links???

No nothing out yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

okay im just wondering what i am supposed to do....

basically, I have a jailbroken iphone 3gs and wanna install ios 6..

ive never updated it before so is there something special i have to do to it?

El Spearo wrote: »
    okay im just wondering what i am supposed to do....

basically, I have a jailbroken iphone 3gs and wanna install ios 6..

ive never updated it before so is there something special i have to do to it?

Did you do as Biko said?
    Anyway there is no jailbreak for iOS 6 and updating to iOS 6 will Just slow your phone up big time. What version are you on now?

• Advertisement

Use the redsnow break at own risk, it kept crashing for me so didn't go ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Ok here's the story. I'm on bill pay with vodafone, and i upgraded yesterday to the i phone 5. I gave my old i phone 4 to my brother. He was told it would cost €70 to unlock it. Now I know feck all about this, but surely it can be done for free. He just wants to use it as a credit phone and top up once a month. Any help please?

slookie wrote: »
    Ok here's the story. I'm on bill pay with vodafone, and i upgraded yesterday to the i phone 5. I gave my old i phone 4 to my brother. He was told it would cost €70 to unlock it. Now I know feck all about this, but surely it can be done for free. He just wants to use it as a credit phone and top up once a month. Any help please?

If your brother wants to stay with vf no Problem stick a bill pay or pay as you go vf sim in to it no problem.

Now if he wants to use it with a different network you will have to ring vf customer service and request the unlock.it should be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

slookie wrote: »

from previous experience, once your contract was sound with Vodafone, and you did the full term, just go to them and ask em to give you the unlock code. It's your phone, so you have the right to have it. As far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭robbe

Possibly (probably) a silly question - recently installed Cydia on an iPod touch running iOS5. Can I now update to iOS6 without affecting the Jailbreak?

Thanks

• Advertisement

robbe wrote: »
    Possibly (probably) a silly question - recently installed Cydia on an iPod touch running iOS5. Can I now update to iOS6 without affecting the Jailbreak?

Thanks

No jailbreak out yet for iOS 6 stay away if you want to keep your jail break!

I stand corrected there is a teathered jailbreak out for older devices more info

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/09/19/how-to-jailbreak-ios-6-and-install-cydia/

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭robbe

Cheers, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

fox007 wrote: »
    No jailbreak out yet for iOS 6 stay away if you want to keep your jail break!

I stand corrected there is a teathered jailbreak out for older devices more info

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/09/19/how-to-jailbreak-ios-6-and-install-cydia/

Yep, Jailbroke my iPhone 4 on iOS 6 and installed Cydia. Works like a charm, pity it's tethered though.

robbe wrote: »

Thanks
    In short, no.
    Updating the phone ios will kill the jailbreak and you will have to jailbreak again. Since there is no good jb currently for ios6 you should hold off for now.
    The only available one is a tethered break and that's not always working.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a jailbroken 3gs and I can't update it at all.
    It's currently at 4.0.1
    I have tried updating via itunes but I get an error.
    I have tried via Sn0wbreeze, no dice there either.
    Ideally I want it updated into the ios5 range, so I can still use it, as if unjailbroken it'll look for activation and I can't do that, no sim for that carrier.
    Some help, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

lee3155 wrote: »
    Yep, Jailbroke my iPhone 4 on iOS 6 and installed Cydia. Works like a charm, pity it's tethered though.

I've the same, an iphone 4 on ios6, is it worth the the tethered jailbreak in your opinion?

I'm considering it at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I've the same, an iphone 4 on ios6, is it worth the the tethered jailbreak in your opinion?

I'm considering it at the moment :D

I went back to iOS 5 today. Installous and a lot of other items from Cydia don't work and crash, it works and you get Cydia but from there on in it's hit and miss tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Any news on an ios6 untethered jailbreak , in particular for a 4s??.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Any news for an ios6 update for gevey sim users?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

vader65 wrote: »
    Any news for an ios6 update for gevey sim users?

Of any help to you?
    http://www.gevey.com/blog/do-not-upgrade-your-iphone-to-ios6-before-a-new-unlock-solution-release/

By any chance do you use a current version of a Gevey sim for an iPhone?
    If so, how do you find it? How is reception? Any problem with missing messages?
    Is it true that the set-up must be repeated each time the phone is switched on? :eek: So many questions...

http://www.gevey.com/gevey-ultra-s-for-cdma-iphone-4s/

The above is what I'm thinking of purchasing.
    Quick review from any current users would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Can anyone point me in the direction of the best version of redn0w to install ipad basband on iphone 4?

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of the best version of redn0w to install ipad basband on iphone 4?

Much appreciated.
    It's not possible

So is there any way to jailbreak unlock 5.1.1 with BB 04.12.01?

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    So is there any way to jailbreak unlock 5.1.1 with BB 04.12.01?
    http://jailbreak-me.info

This jailbreak is tethered iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS new bootrom, andiPod Touch 4G. The jailbreak is untethered for the iPhone 3GS old bootrom.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all,
    Need an answer by this evening :) Am placing an Apple-unlocked iPhone on eBay later this evening, but I cannot find the answer to a question and this answer determines whether it goes on eBay.ie or eBay.co.uk

If the phone is unlocked, can it be used on any carrier regardless of the country? So the Irish unlocked 3Gs can work in England, France, Spain etc just as easily as it will in Ireland.

I think I will get more by selling it on ebay.co.uk

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

If your iPhone is factory unlocked it will work with any carrier sim,in any country.I'm 100% sure of that.

biko wrote: »

Holy crap. £80 for vodafone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hey

If I jail brake my iphone 4 from o2 can I use a meteor sim inthe phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

T-K-O wrote: »
    Hey

If I jail brake my iphone 4 from o2 can I use a meteor sim inthe phone?
    More than likely not. It depends what baseband or modem firmware is on the phone and jail breaking alone doesn't unlock an iPhone

Advertisement