Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

guil wrote: »
    More than likely not. It depends what baseband or modem firmware is on the phone and jail breaking alone doesn't unlock an iPhone

How do I go about making the phone sim free

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

For you I'd say it's easiest to contact your network and request an unlock.
    If they say no use unlock sites http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1398957

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Battleborn

Hey wondered if anyone has any advice,I recently download cydia and installous after jailbreaking my iphone. Everything seemed to be working fine,I went onto installous and downloaded a few games like Gta,and black ops zombies..they downloaded no problem but each time I go to install they won't install and say I have a valid ipa :( anyone have any solutions for this?I have tried multiple things like deleting installous and reinstalling but still no luck,even tried a different app called appcake and again same problem games download no problem but as soon as I go to install this invalid ipa comes up again...any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Battleborn wrote: »
    Hey wondered if anyone has any advice,I recently download cydia and installous after jailbreaking my iphone. Everything seemed to be working fine,I went onto installous and downloaded a few games like Gta,and black ops zombies..they downloaded no problem but each time I go to install they won't install and say I have a valid ipa :( anyone have any solutions for this?I have tried multiple things like deleting installous and reinstalling but still no luck,even tried a different app called appcake and again same problem games download no problem but as soon as I go to install this invalid ipa comes up again...any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks :)

Piracy isn't discussed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭timex711

having fully restored my iphone and putting in my meteor sim, it comes up...sim locked, insert a valid sim with no pin lock to activate the iphone....does this suggest the phone is still unlocked to meteor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

timex711 wrote: »
    having fully restored my iphone and putting in my meteor sim, it comes up...sim locked, insert a valid sim with no pin lock to activate the iphone....does this suggest the phone is still unlocked to meteor?
    no it means there is a pin code enabled on the sim, turn it off using another phone

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SillyIrish

Would really appreciate somebodys help on this,I recently bought a second hand Iphone4 jailbroke it myself and tried to "d.i.y" my own sim card as it did not come with one.after I done this diy simcard it failed to work saying "simcard failure" I have tried numerous different methods including SAM but none work so I am just wondering if I go to a shop that the iphone is network with e.g meteor or O2 shop,will they provide me with a micro sim? or do I have to be the first owner of the phone?

You can get a microsim off any of the networks no questions asked

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just say you want a sim to check reception in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Gotta pay for it though dont ya? Vodafone charged me €10 for a micro sim last year.

• Advertisement

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Gotta pay for it though dont ya? Vodafone charged me €10 for a micro sim last year.
    Usually you have to buy credit to get the sim

I'm tying to jailbreak my apple tv2. I used sesaonpass and it was successful the first time however when I installed XBMC there was no icon for that software. I found a few 'solutions' on line but they eventually reversed the jailbreak..

When I tried to jailbreak the device a second time, I didn't receive any errors but jailbreak did not work.

Have you guys any links to an solution that works?

I'm tying to jailbreak my apple tv2. I used sesaonpass and it was successful the first time however when I installed XBMC there was no icon for that software. I found a few 'solutions' on line but they eventually reversed the jailbreak..

When I tried to jailbreak the device a second time, I didn't receive any errors but jailbreak did not work.

Have you guys any links to an solution that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

No word on an Apple TV3 jb yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Quick question.

I have 3Gs which I bought second hand which was unlocked by O2 via the iTunes store and which I use on Meteor. If I upgrade to iOS 6 will I still be able to use the phone on Meteor? Or will it re-lock to O2?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Frisbee wrote: »
    Quick question.

I have 3Gs which I bought second hand which was unlocked by O2 via the iTunes store and which I use on Meteor. If I upgrade to iOS 6 will I still be able to use the phone on Meteor? Or will it re-lock to O2?

Nope. Unlocked is unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Nice one, cheers for the speedy reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭crazy eyes

I bought a 3gs a few years ago that was jailbroken and I've never updated it since then. I'd like to upgrade the software to 5.1.1 from what it currently is (4.1). I have tried to do it through the walk through on iClarified but it keeps crashing after the first stage. Is it still possible to do this?

Also my 3gs is running the 6.15.00 modem firmware, do I need to install the ipad baseband?

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭crazy eyes

crazy eyes wrote: »
    I bought a 3gs a few years ago that was jailbroken and I've never updated it since then. I'd like to upgrade the software to 5.1.1 from what it currently is (4.1). I have tried to do it through the walk through on iClarified but it keeps crashing after the first stage. Is it still possible to do this?

Also my 3gs is running the 6.15.00 modem firmware, do I need to install the ipad baseband?

Thanks for any help

Eventually used snOwbreeze to put 5.1 on the phone and I uploaded ultrasnOw 1.2.7 from cydia and I can get any coverage. Any ideas what could be wrong?

I done a few searches and uploading ultrasnOw usually solves the problem with the coverage. What can I do from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

My girlfriend and I are on the same network. We have both upgraded to different phones. Can we swap sims into each other's phone?

• Advertisement

Liamario wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I are on the same network. We have both upgraded to different phones. Can we swap sims into each other's phone?

Yes, of course. Only thing to stop you is whether its a mini-SIM/micro-SIM/nano-SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I'll need to get a nano sim, but you don't imagine that will be a problem?

She's keeping her iphone 4, and I'm taking her iphone 5. We both are currently using iphone 4(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Anyone out there know if IOS6 on iPhone4 can be jailbroken "Untethered"
    Edit: I found that's its only tethered ATM. The Dev team will probably have Untethered out before Christmas. I will wait till then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

Hi guys,

Trying to unlock my iPhone 4S 5.0.1

Long story short, Ive tried a few different methods but currently without a phone! (Moved from O2 to Emobile, phone locked to O2).

Anyone tried Megara1n before? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsU60gDoN0o

It seems to be a factory unlock but I just dont know if I should spend money... Pretty desperate for the phone to be unlocked at this stage!!

ando wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Trying to unlock my iPhone 4S 5.0.1

Long story short, Ive tried a few different methods but currently without a phone! (Moved from O2 to Emobile, phone locked to O2).

Anyone tried Megara1n before? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsU60gDoN0o

It seems to be a factory unlock but I just dont know if I should spend money... Pretty desperate for the phone to be unlocked at this stage!!
    Get it unlocked for £20
    http://unlockguru.co.uk/cart/item/parent/1008/imei/11/44f683a84163b3523afe57c2e008bc8c/O2-Ireland-Normal--iPhone-3G-3GS-4-amp-4S.html

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Received a refurb ipad 3 (ios 5.1.1) and tried to restore from my last ipad1which was jailbroken but many of the apps didnt go through as expected but about 6gb was used in the ipad prob from my pdf files that did transferred.

I tried using redsnow but it stopped because of lack of space on my laptop and about 5gb disappeared on my laptop
    Then I freed up 2 gb and tried absinthe again stopped because of lack of space.

I'm using xp can anyone tell me where the backup lacation is?
    Looked on the net and there was a location I think was for windows 7 but not xp
    I tried and tried looking around the c drive but for the life of me I cannot find it.

Any help or advice appreicated

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

I have an iPhone 4, modem firmware 04.12.01 ... according to sites I've Googled, I have to get an IMEI unlock, whatever that is. Is that still the situation? Advice would be most welcome here.

Liamario wrote: »
    I'll need to get a nano sim, but you don't imagine that will be a problem?

She's keeping her iphone 4, and I'm taking her iphone 5. We both are currently using iphone 4(s).

Nope.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »

Why would you pay to get an O2.ie iPhone unlocked when they unlock them on request for free?

Advertisement