Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Blackrain question, is this the best way to jailbreak and unlock the 3GS, when it's all finished and the battery dies lets say in a week, will you need to run blackrain again to start the iphone. Any way around this?

Anybody?? Does blackrain require iphone to be booted through black rain if the battery dies at anytime? tks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anybody?? Does blackrain require iphone to be booted through black rain if the battery dies at anytime? tks
    Only if its a post week 40 iPhone 3GS, then its classed as a tethered jailbreak and has to be re-jailbroke at every reboot.

A bit of a pain in the arse tbh

Quazzie wrote: »
    Only if its a post week 40 iPhone 3GS, then its classed as a tethered jailbreak and has to be re-jailbroke at every reboot.

thanks

How do I tell if it's a post week 40, it's an o2 ireland one bought around christmas time, just updated the base band to 3.1.2(7D11) Model number is MC131B

is blackrain the only option, it's not worth doing if it needs a blackrain reboot every time...

Its the third and fourth digits in your serial number.

If your serial number 8794345AMJKL then its a week 43.

• Advertisement

it's week 38 then going by my serial number,
    what do I do next, blackrain it?, won't require a boot when the battery dies?

Just use Blackra1n so. Its by far the easiest. If you are worried about it going into DFU mode after a reboot later don't be, but you can always restart it after your first time usign Blackra1n if you think you need some reassurance.

Enjoy the phone.

Thanks a million Quazzie, worked a treat, that was an easy unlock..

yea. I couldn't believe it when I done it first. I kept waiting and waiting for the hard part.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Quazzie wrote: »

yea this is putting me off jail-breaking mine to be honest.
    I can't really see any advantage yet for me don't really pay for apps, and the jailbreak just drains the battery even more..

Have any other versions been like this were it was required to hook it up if the battery went dead?(then we may see a fix for the 40week onwards?)
    also if I jailbroke mine to put some paid for apps on the, could I remove the jailbreak an the still be left?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭imalegend

Need some help:

I used blackra1n and blacksn1w i think it called and got it jailbroken and unlocked but i cant activate it to work on the o2 network...

anyone have any advice for me??

i also tried using blacksn1w and another programme where u try using a diff root file when resetting the iphone in itunes.

how do i get my phone activated??

i also tried resetting the network settings as this was given as advice elsewhere...no joy

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I jailbreak my 3gs phone yesterday everythings working fine except for YouTube it is really slow at loading videos I never had this problem when I was on 3.0 can someone please help am on the newest software.

Thanks a mil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

imalegend wrote: »
    Need some help:

I used blackra1n and blacksn1w i think it called and got it jailbroken and unlocked but i cant activate it to work on the o2 network...

anyone have any advice for me??

i also tried using blacksn1w and another programme where u try using a diff root file when resetting the iphone in itunes.

how do i get my phone activated??

i also tried resetting the network settings as this was given as advice elsewhere...no joy

thanks in advance

where is your phone from?

When did you buy it

have you used the sim in the phone before?

smyths wrote: »
    I jailbreak my 3gs phone yesterday everythings working fine except for YouTube it is really slow at loading videos I never had this problem when I was on 3.0 can someone please help am on the newest software.

Thanks a mil

Reboot and see if it improves

mixednuts wrote: »
    where is your phone from?

When did you buy it

have you used the sim in the phone before?

The phone was on o2 before, i got it from a friend. The phone was bought and used here in Ireland.

Have not used the sim in the iphone before but i was using it in an older version iphone have upgraded to the i phone 3g s that my friend gave me...

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Reboot and see if it improves

Have done still no joy?!?

smyths wrote: »
    Have done still no joy?!?

I have heard of blackra1n causing issues ( which GeoHot denies) with you tube not playing videos, but never with you tube slowing up ?

Well there is a fix for the you tube not working , it may help with your slow you tube ... Here is a guide
    http://www.simonblog.com/2009/07/09/pushfix-fixes-push-notification-on-jailbroken-iphone/

It is a fix for push notification but reportedly fixes you tube bug.

Hope this helps

The phone was on o2 before, i got it from a friend. The phone was bought and used here in Ireland.

Have not used the sim in the iphone before but i was using it in an older version iphone have upgraded to the i phone 3g s that my friend gave me...

When you plug your phone onto iTunes what does it say.
    Also what does the phone display show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭savemejebus

There is also an issue with people who had BT broadband using wifi because they have now been moved to vodafone and there are some dns issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Hey Guys,

Completely new with this sort of thing, I have an iPod Touch but never bothered to jailbreak/unlock it. Basically I got an iPhone 3G 8GB today, running 3.1.2 firmware and I was wondering how I'd go about unlocking it to Meteor?

I looked through this thread and done a search on the forum but nothing showed up of any relevance. Any help is appreciated.

• Advertisement

When you plug your phone onto iTunes what does it say.
    Also what does the phone display show?

the phone display has a proper display and i can use all the apps i just have no signal bars.

the wireless works also, just cant get it to activate on the o2 network. It now says no sim card installed on the device you are trying to activate whn my 3g o2 sim card is in the phone

the phone display has a proper display and i can use all the apps i just have no signal bars.

the wireless works also, just cant get it to activate on the o2 network. It now says no sim card installed on the device you are trying to activate whn my 3g o2 sim card is in the phone

blackra1n is your friend ... See page 20 for instructions I posted.

ok tried blackra1n again and also that push fix, i got as far as iphoneil.net and there was no push fix app in the list so installed iphoneil and still in the same position except it now sees that im on o2 and just still has no signal bars!!!

any more advice please???

ok tried blackra1n again and also that push fix, i got as far as iphoneil.net and there was no push fix app in the list so installed iphoneil and still in the same position except it now sees that im on o2 and just still has no signal bars!!!

any more advice please???

Sh*t my mistake ... The reply I gave to you was for the user wanting instruction on jailbreaking .

Look no panic or harm done by using blackra1n , the only thing I can think if is that it's not an Irish phone thus won't recognise the sim.
    Seen you are jb with blackra1n try run blacksn0w ( found in the blackra1n app) this will remove sim restrictions , might be worth a try.
    If all else fails then a restore may be on the cards :(

Bonavox wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Completely new with this sort of thing, I have an iPod Touch but never bothered to jailbreak/unlock it. Basically I got an iPhone 3G 8GB today, running 3.1.2 firmware and I was wondering how I'd go about unlocking it to Meteor?

I looked through this thread and done a search on the forum but nothing showed up of any relevance. Any help is appreciated.
    blackra1n is your friend ... See page 20 for instructions I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I did a jailbreak & unlock on my 02 iPhone which I got from a friend as they upgraded to the 'S'.

At the time I was on o2(billpay) and could not get it to make/receive calls/texts but could use the internet, kept getting a message saying "waiting for activation"

Then another friend of mine tried it wth a vodafone sim and it worked without any hassle....needless to say I moved to vodafone prepay.

I've since found out it also works on three & for €10 a month you get 1gb of internet access so when my credit runs out on vodafone I'm moving to three to see how I get on with them.

Does anybody know if o2 have an extra block on the iPhone to stop somebody switching it over from Billpay to Prepay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Bit of a weird one here, my week 38 iPhone broke and was replaced today by Apple with what they said as a span new 3GS. The serial number would point to it being a week 0 model with firmware 05.11.07

Anyways, Blackra1ned it, blacksn0w it, turn it off, turn it back on and it doesn't need to boot with blackra1n ? Have tried it a good few times and it boots perfectly everytime on the Meteor sim. Only thing I can think of is maybe it's a week 0 from 2009 refurb ?

I thought that post week 40 would definitely of been a tethered JB ? I'm delighted it's not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Is the blackra1n boy from a caravaggio painting?

iTunes won't let me connect my iPhone with a 3 sim in it, does this mean I need to put an o2 sim in temporarly if I want to sync with iTunes ? Also any way to Bluetooth a movie clip from a nokia to the iPhone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

http://www.adoos.ie/post/11088281/buy_3gs_iphonenokia_n97htc_hd2blackberry_bold

who thinks this is a scam ??? too cheap to be true???

Advertisement