Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Vostok 110SE

Nice watch. What year is it? It looks both old fashioned and quite modern at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

Nice watch. What year is it? It looks both old fashioned and quite modern at the same time.

2014 :D

http://www.meranom.com/amphibian-se/110se/

Its the modern version of a vintage Vostok.

38405dc25814069f6f86a254a8f00775_zps12a63ddc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Picked up a Seiko 5 Automatic 21 Jewels with navy face on Canal St, NY. It's a little smaller than my other watches, but looks well. Picture is closest I can find online

seiko-5-auto-dark-blue-face-snxs77k1-292-p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Is there anywhere in Ireland that does finance on watches. Would love to get something special but just donf have €5k lying around at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

dudara wrote: »
    Picked up a Seiko 5 Automatic 21 Jewels with navy face on Canal St, NY. It's a little smaller than my other watches, but looks well. Picture is closest I can find online

Nice taste

• Advertisement

GEO147 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in Ireland that does finance on watches. Would love to get something special but just donf have €5k lying around at the moment.

Personaly I wouldn't advise it, you'll end up paying much more for your watch.

Sorry, don't know the if there is anyplace though.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Personaly I wouldn't advise it, you'll end up paying much more for your watch.

Sorry, don't know the if there is anyplace though.

I know what your saying but in the UK plenty of places offer 0% finance. Doubt if anywhere in paddy land would though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

GEO147 wrote: »

You could get a bankloan but that's a little silly for a watch IMO. A 5k watch is for someone with 5k lying around not someone will eventually pay 6k in repayments and will undoubtably have found better uses for that money in the meantime.....

Harsh I know but true, buy a nice second hand in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,978 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Vostok 110SE

That new Amphibian is class!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Talking lume, this is how the Omega Seamaster looks in the half-light (or under my desk). Note the green minute hand...

IMAG2968_zpsdfd87870.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

^^^ great taste in watches :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

This is a slightly customised (compass added and new diver strap) Lorus with full 'lumibrite' face. For it's price it stays readable all night. And thankfully the lum is non-radactive unlike some more expensive models, and will survive a day's swimming/windsurfing as is 100m proof.

click to view larger image:
    lumibrite.jpg

Flogging shortly, as have an eye on a rus/ger 'quick set alarm' auto, lum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Glycine arrived in the post today from ebay, not particularly well packaged.
    Takes about 9 winds to start up and the spring in the keyless works is either broken or about to break (no definite click when setting time, crown has to be held out to prevent it clicking in).

Also:

327431.jpg

Time to mail the seller.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bloody hell TC. That's well out of order. Dead right get back to the seller.

Some people don't have a clue packaging watches. I had one sent from France in an ordinary envelope. Yep, you read that right. There was a couple of squares of bogroll loose inside said envelope and the watch itself. The watch actually survived the trip intact.:eek: IIRC it was a Russian Vostok so that's all that needs to be said really... Loose inside a padded envelope is common enough. Like that will protect a watch. :rolleyes:

I have heard that ebay's global shipping program can be a right pain on this score. Apparently they regularly open the sellers packaging and transfer the item to a smaller box so it's cheaper to ship. Of course they charge the cost of the full box... US sellers and buyers are up in arms over it and other issues with said programme(the customs charges are a rip off for a start). I avoid any seller using it like the very plague*. I'd advise other folks the same, buying or selling.

*That said I snagged a longterm personal grail watch for me last week at very little money for such a grail(dire pics, wrong description and even the wrong description was misspelled) and didn't spot the seller is in this programme. Now he's in the UK, so hopefully it'll be different but I am worried TBH as the watch in question would be more delicate than some. If it's not packed well it may very well turn up buggered.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Really happy with the Boccia Bund I bought from a seller on boards, especially now it is on a black Hirsch strap. It is now my daily watch.

aBy1UBa.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

ty Wibbs (again) will get to 50 posts eventually - just need to buy more watches, post the pics and get my post count up :D

rwbug wrote: »
    Really happy with the Boccia Bund I bought from a seller on boards, especially now it is on a black Hirsch strap. It is now my daily watch.

I'm really glad that it's found a good home and it looks great on the Black Hirsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Well, it's back.
    DSC_2383.jpg

And in the meantime I've managed to pick up another lost cause - more of that once it's been to the doctor (and winged its' way over the pond).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bloody lovely watch CB. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ok crappy late nite pic. With CB's UG mocking me in the background with it and his class and refinement...

o8i54j.jpg

I have previously mentioned my early quartz and leccy watch madness and I also mentioned that if you get into these it's a damned good plan to have a spare movement/watch stuck somewhere safe in a static bag with moisture gel stuff and a large hound to guard them(check to all). Well here's a public demonstration of my madness. I have posted and bored ye to tears with pics of my 1975 LIP Roger Tallon designed R33 quartz. Rare as hen's teeth in unicorn gravy(and my particular example only exists as a singular so far), but obsessive bloody nutter(true hearted WIS)* that I am, I also have another as a "backup". And here it is. A German Market LIP rebranded as a Dugena mit Deutsch day wheel and local dial printing.Funny enough, as things turn out the "spare" is far less flakey than the "original". Very solid and very accurate(3 seconds per month). Though like all of these movements the hacking feature is a hack. Pull the crown and the second hand get's all disco and jumps all over the place.

For future Google ref. Crown first position on these babies changes the day/date, clockwise to advance the date, anticlockwise to advance the day. T'is fiddly.

*I'd go with feckin certifiable TBH. Oh you think that's excessive? In movements/watches, I have two Omega 1310's, four Girard Perregaux 300 series, two Accuquartz, two Mosaba tuning forks. That's before we get to my mechanicals... :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

This bad boy arrived from China today.

Smart watch for $33.

Cant really go wrong with that price. Limited that it does not have Andriod on it (so must use the stock apps), does not have wifi or 3g capabilities.
    It connects to my phone via bluetooth and imports address book and any notification from your phone appears on the watch.
    The watch can also receive and make phone calls via blue tooth or when micro sim is inserted.

Its a bit of a gimmick really, but something to show the lads down the pub over the christmas.

20141114_112554.jpg

20141114_112604.jpg

Looks much bigger than I am used to on the arm.
    20141114_112740.jpg

For comparison, beside a 2 euro coin.
    20141114_113158.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭the goon

Wow that looks lovely. I myself am waiting on one so would be interested to get your opinion on it when you have a chance to play around with it. To be fair though, I can't really expect to much from a smartwatch that costs less than 40 quid!

the goon wrote: »
    Wow that looks lovely. I myself am waiting on one so would be interested to get your opinion on it when you have a chance to play around with it. To be fair though, I can't really expect to much from a smartwatch that costs less than 40 quid!

There is a fairly good review of it in Bargain alerts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92943598&postcount=1

the goon wrote: »

I posted this review over on BA.
    Having had this watch for a few days now I have to admit to being underwhelmed by it.
    Its horses for courses of course, but my main gripes are:
    1) The watch is physically too big for my liking. Not possible for me to wear it under a shirt cuff as not enough room there to slide the cuff back if I want to see the watch!
    2) When connected via bluetooth the watch gives you any notification that your phone has. This is ok but can be anoying when your watch buzzes to give you a notification that your phone is aligning GPS, or has just updated some app.
    3) For emails you just get a notification via bluetooth on the watch that an email has been received and who sent it. You cannot read the email.
    4) The blue tooth connection is a bit flakey for me. Seems to randomly disconnect sometimes, and buzzes to tell me that. Then reconnects and buzzes to tell me that too. There is probably a setting that you can use to stop this.
    5) The quality of phone calls over bluetooth is poor unless you use the headset. Even then it is just about acceptable.
    6) The pedometer seems to reset itself every now and again which defeats the purpose. Also, it is just that, a pedometer. No way to link it to an app or GPS for more detailed analysis.

I dont really see this as a 'smart' watch. More like a phone watch with some features that are not very useful in my opinion.
    I have not yet used the watch with a sim card inserted, I may try that later in the week.
    But it is looking like, in my case at least, that the watch will be in the bin by the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭the goon

I posted this review over on BA.
    Oh well. I might just keep it in the packaging and gift it to someone as a gadgety Xmas present. Having read that thread over on Bargain Alerts I think I will have a look at the Pebble.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

New arrival - bit of an impulse purchase, but under 100 quid. It's unbranded, but I think it's pretty similar to a Parnis. I sort of regretted selling my Russian flieger a year or two ago, but at 47mm with a massive crown, it was too big. This is a more manageable 45mm and I think it wears a little smaller. No idea what the lume or timekeeping is like yet. Still not sure the flieger look is for me though.

15786739936_d00f7c6a8c_z.jpg
    15190444764_43a708af22.jpg
    the goon wrote:
    Having read that thread over on Bargain Alerts I think I will have a look at the Pebble.

That's actually my other recent arrival (Pebble Steel) - I'm looking into apps for smartwatches at work, so finally had a sort of valid reason to get one to play around with. I'll report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭893bet

Just lightened my wallet today also! Looks my my skyfall is gonna have to wait till next year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Nice Railmaster

Like wibbs, am also wondering about the Stowa Flieger I just bought and it is big enough for me at 40mm

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Here's the Pebble Steel. It looks bigger than it is from that angle, it's actually quite subtle.

The first pic is a list of notifications; the others are different watch faces that are available. If I had it connected to my work phone, I'd probably use a more detailed face that shows meetings etc, but I like the simplicity of the first watch face.

15806499336_3117050ff5_b.jpg

I posted a few initial thoughts about it here in case you're interested.

On another note, I'm not really bonding with the flieger I posted earlier; think it'll be flipped soon enough.

• Advertisement

Eoin wrote: »
    On another note, I'm not really bonding with the flieger I posted earlier; think it'll be flipped soon enough.

Form an orderly queue behind me folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement