Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

2Poc wrote: »
    Very nice watch Lex. What make is it?

IDENT by Trintec

I see they are now selling them online with the Orange Zulu 5 ring...I should sue them ;)

http://www.trintec.com/aviator-watches/nav-01-ident-instrument-inspired-watch.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

2Poc wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I’ll check it out. I doubt its worth anything significant unless you’re a nostalgic, retired Turkish train driver.
    However if there are any wealthy, nostalgic, retired Turkish train drivers out there do give me a shout and we can talk terms ;)

I need some funds for a planet ocean or submariner.

Your watch has a 1022 caliber movement in it. Omega seamaster. Automatic and as said above, probably dates from the early 70s.
    Open it up and you should see 166.0216.3 on the inside of the case.
    One sold recently for $350 on ebay...so not overly valuable.

But you never know, get it polished up, take some good snaps and stick it up on adverts for €450 and you may get a taker. Play the long game.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

But you never know, get it polished up, take some good snaps and stick it up on adverts for €450 and you may get a taker. Play the long game.

Don't fecking polish it - most of those surfaces are brushed :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

Took delivery this morning of a nice oem omega strap and pin. It's dark blue but looks black!

Going about things arseways as I don't have a watch to suit! But once I get the blue skyfall it will look amazing on it! Strap was brand new but going at a good price secondhand so couldnt resist.

This has now been serviced by Paul at Electric Watches so I don't feel that I'm offending the gods by mentioning it here. I had one of these (albeit with a silver dial) and stupidly sold it over a year ago - so let's try again in blue. The only hitch is that I've been watching an OEM bracelet on Ebay for ages and now that I'm ready to buy it, it's disappeared. Bugger! It's also on the ever-lengthening list of watches that need re-lapping but I'm not considering that until I've got a bracelet.

This might be a candidate for one of those suede Chilean straps that we've all been getting excited about.
    3.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ohhhh that's very nice CB. I love the case shape, really distinctive. I love that period of watch design of the late 60's up to the mid 70's. Real design innovation all over the place and the big names were all at it. These days the big names are very staid for the most part and raid their old cataogues and cheap "fashion" watches are where the actual design stuff seems to be(honourable mention for Seiko mind you).

And from the same era; another one of my Girard Perregaux 300 series quartz(72 going by the chip).

161b42p.jpg

This one is a real bruiser in heft. Very solid. Seems to be a much tougher steel than others I have.

Funny you mention bracelets CB, I got lucky just last night and sourced one for the above for a tenner P&P included. Result. It's not GP branded, but it is a distinctive design they used(and I've seen NOS ones with unbranded straps attached). The GP branded bracelets if you can find one are mad money, for me anyway. Nearly always more than I pay for the watches themselves. 80 quid for a watch, 200 quid for a strap. Eh... nope. :)

Actually that's some advice I'd have for folks looking at vintage stuff, if it came with a bracelet originally, or as an option* and you want that look, don't be tempted by the bargain watch head only examples(unless it's a scarily rare piece), try and buy one with its bracelet attached, it will turn out a lot cheaper in the long run. Better for resale too. Even more if you split the sale.

I've had the case of the disappearing ebay item myself. Very frustrating.

*from what I can gather, other than examples with integrated bracelets most came with a strap/bracelet options at the time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    And from the same era; another one of my Girard Perregaux 300 series quartz(72 going by the chip).

A chap on TZ-UK who's currently studying to be a watchmaker "did" one of these a while back. I think it's my perfect GP-branded 352 derivative with that slate grey dial.
    http://raulhorology.com/2013/03/the-great-grandad-of-quartz-girard-perregaux-calibre-352-project/
    Funny you mention bracelets CB, I got lucky just last night and sourced one for the above for a tenner P&P included. Result. It's not GP branded,

I've just sent you a PM.

Signed

Your dealer :).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A chap on TZ-UK who's currently studying to be a watchmaker "did" one of these a while back. I think it's my perfect GP-branded 352 derivative with that slate grey dial.
    http://raulhorology.com/2013/03/the-great-grandad-of-quartz-girard-perregaux-calibre-352-project/
    Yep that's the same case alright. Sadly not the funky dial. :)Fantastic lapping job on that one. Mine is in better condition than his was originally, but that case working makes it a new watch. Him finding it was a dead quartz can seems to be the only thing that goes on these in my experience. great he found an original one. Diamond cut natural quartz by all accounts. The rest of the circuitry seems very solid and the stepping motor is bulletproof.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Bought this Glycine today. Bored in work today, browsing ebay and just put a €60 offer on it.

Seller accepted but not sure if I got a good deal or not!

Nice looking dial, hope the case is stainless.

325974.png

60 quid? Nice one. You really can't go wrong at that money TC. The only issue may be that it's a smaller size than you may be used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

The only issue may be that it's a smaller size than you may be used to.

And if it is ... Sure isn't there a local here who loves small watches. Now who could that be.... :rolleyes: ;):D

*looks at twiglet wrists and thinks... vintage, yea baby* :D

EDIT. that said, this very day I was in my local supermarket and while waiting at the till a very well dressed elderly gentleman put the talk on me and referred to my watch, my blue dialed Girard Perregaux. Instant mutual recognition of another watch nutter. It's a pheromone thing :D His equally very well turned out lady wife looked at us both and knew "oh god, not another one". :D Turns out he was wearing a 1950's stainless steel jaeger leCoultre. In near new condition. I'd reckon 35mm in size and he was of a way more manly wrist than me. Looked good. Very good. IMHO there's a lot to be said for the sub 40mm that is unfashionable these days. Then again he was that kind of a chap who could have worn a pink 5 euro Hello Kitty watch and it still would have worked. :D

I like small watches, I wear this little guy every other week.

326013.jpg

(Horribly abused Indian Seiko 6309A in the background)

Looks very like my 1940 Alpina in layout and size. What is it TC?

193146.jpg

Looks good on the Nato strap too. Nice watch.

Love those watches, you pay an arm and a leg for the pedigree though.

This one measures about 28mm across excluding the crown, lug width is 16mm. Movement is an AS984.

The case back is stamped inside with SWISS and 4178. The number 7040X is scratched on the inside. The movement is marked only "15 JEWELS" and "SWISS MADE".

Haven't got a clue what it is, seems about 40's era though.

Looks 40's alright TC. The movement(and design) pretty much seals that date. Very nice watch. The Alpina is slightly larger at 30mm. There was a KM example that was 35mm apparently but they rarely show up. And when they do... Big money. Joke is that the KM's ten years ago you could have for under 200 quid(IIRC I paid 130 at the time). How times change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I like fossil stuff, mainly their watches - picked this up for $145 in Vegas, got to Fossil in Chicago and they had a 50% sale - thankfully I didn't see this there though, I'd have been upset!!

KkeRNhDl.jpg

FNKcVBSl.jpg

So the collection is coming along nicely. I still want a brown strap watch for casual wear but for now the Timex does me fine at work, Fossil outside of work & the TH for special occasions as it was a gift from my godmother

FnALdtEl.jpg

*Apologies in advance for image quality etc. - phone & poor lighting combo :o

I have to say D I have a lot of time for Fossil. They push design and have done for many a year. The "big" names for the most part have almost if not completely given up. They've gone all "post moderne". Either they raid their historical back catalogue to sell "authenticity" or they make tiny increments of change that often get their fans in a tizzy. "OhMiGod!!! the new Rolex has a puce coloured bezel, it's slightly more puce coloured than the last" kinda thing. It's a real pity IMH. For me anyway and for the most part, if you want to see out there designs in watches the "fashion watch" shop has way more goin on one display than Weirs has in its entire stock.

Annnyhooo... Don't think I've posted this one before. It's a Yema. A French company that has had some nice designs over the years. Some way out there wacky and some derivative, but they have an interesting history. They even have a "space watch" in their lineup.

My example is a Yema Superman, one of a few models to carry that name from the early 1960's to today. They were in many ways a "poor mans" Rolex and were advertised as such, but IMH there was feck all "poor" about them.. They had the twist of their unique locking device for the bezel, held down by a screwdown crown(of a diff design to Rolex et al), which you can see at the 3 O'clock position.
    fdwpj8.jpg
    My particular example as you can see is quartz and has the (R) attached to the Superman title, so they're known as Superman R's. They also came in automatic. I also have the original bracelet with the divers extension. Now while these first kicked off in the 60's mine is a late 80's example, powered by a Seiko movement(Seiko bought them out at this time). Nothing pretty to look at, but accurate and near bulletproof*. It also has tritium lume, though no T on the dial. The back case does say "T9 001 6E", a number that doesn't come up in the searches. Normally they have a Y instead of a T, so maybe T = Tritium? I dunno, but even with the half life of Tritium of 12 years this watch still weakly glows in the wee hours. It must have been blinding when new.

What really impresses me about the Yema Supermans of any vintage? How thin they are. These are not a bulky watch by any measure. They're 10mm or under in thickness(38mm minus crown) and that's mostly the crystal. So what, sez ye? And well ye may ask. As the dial reads these were/are rated to nigh on a 1000 feet/300 meters/30 bar in water pressure. Not BS either as mad French folks have tested this and have used them in anger on (shallower)dives. Line one of these up with a Rolex or Omega or Squale or whatever rated to that depth and they look like the welterweight who has shown up to a heavyweight boxing match looking for trouble. That's some damned good engineering in my book.

I like to add in a Buying guide, in case someone takes a fancy....There was a time when these could be picked up for buttons. Like 20-50 quid buttons. The French folks hadn't seen their value. They soon caught on though. The automatic ones run from 500 to 1000 quid depending on type, age, rarity and condition(there's a German market only one with a funkay dial or an early 60's one that's in the 1000 area). The quartz ones are cheaper as you might expect, though even there 2 to 300 quid is BIN price on the Bay and add a few more hundreds for a dealer price. IMHO the trick is to look for a quartz one, non working for spares, no worries, easily fixed. EG this current one. Snipe that for under 150 odd quid, peruse the Bay for a movement and a bit of fettling later = V cool watch. Early Quartz one too as it has the French FE movement so around 1980. Orig bracelet too and if it's original to the watch it's a very early quartz as it's a late 70's bracelet. Most of all it has its locking doodah at the crown. Never buy one without it as they are maddeningly hard to source after the fact.

Don't say I don't keep ye bored ta fuq with your inane rantings up to speed on bargains. :o:D

*well... except for me. :o This one is on it's second (NOS vintage) movement. I seem to kill post 1980 quartz with a vengeance. I've killed G-shocks by just wearing them, yet can daily wear a 1916 wristlet with no issue. Go figure. Exorcists welcome... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

After months of deliberation I finally picked up a Planet Ocean on Friday:D

A4F1920D-8E7D-4C88-B3F0-B482BF773C3B_zpsjppqwrxx.jpg

PO.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Looks lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

That is lovely. Is that the liquid metal version?

You buy new?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Any speedies owners....

Any pics of the lume....just wondering what its like

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

PO.JPG

I have one on the way too. Sold my Sub-C, and liking a three-hander went for the PO. Looks good.

Any speedies owners....

Any pics of the lume....just wondering what its like

I found the lume on my Speedy 3573 OK; but the lume on the Speedy Co-Axial is brilliant - doesn't take much to charge up and lasts all night. Will see can I get a picture of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I found the lume on my Speedy 3573 OK; but the lume on the Speedy Co-Axial is brilliant - doesn't take much to charge up and lasts all night. Will see can I get a picture of it.

The lume on my Speedy Pro is excellent. When fully charged it lasts nearly all night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bought this Evans & Evans watch as a spur of the moment purchase on eBay. Complete lucky bag purchase, but something about the design appealed to me. Just hoping that it's not too "small" - I really don't like delicate ladies watches.

$_12.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

893bet wrote: »
    That is lovely. Is that the liquid metal version?

You buy new?

Thanks, it's the normal 45.5 version. It has a ceramic bezel, but has more of a matt finish than the LM. I bought it from Dominic at Hackett Watches in London. Can't recommend him enough, really helpful and reassuring to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Thanks, it's the normal 45.5 version. It has a ceramic bezel, but has more of a matt finish than the LM. I bought it from Dominic at Hackett Watches in London. Can't recommend him enough, really helpful and reassuring to deal with.

Nice purchase, NM! I've had mine a couple of years now and love it! I know the bracelet is beautiful (i'm wearing it on the bracelet right now!), but try it out on an Isofrane strap, if you can. It transforms the look of an already-gorgeous looking watch.
    Well wear!

Tried to take a couple of shots of the Speedy lume. Quality is pretty poor - apologies. The lume is good though.

IMAG2937_zps4fbdbc31.jpg

This one is more the lume in daytime:

IMAG2933_zps854e0b97.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

Vostok 110SE

SAM_1570_zps205c903f.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement