Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

19072013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Lovely CarltonBrowne. Not a brand I was familiar with, I am now..

I see Techné watches use identical hands. I wasn't aware that style dates back to the early 1900s.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"Cathedral hands" as they were/are called. Seem to come out around WW1 when radium as a lume material started to be available. I bloody love the design myself.

Here's my 1916 Longines with those hands(not a great shot TBH :o) ;

263725.jpg

I've a couple of others of that vintage too. I demand a revival goddamit! :)

BTW diggin the Brooks bike saddle while we're going old school, but still relevant. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Wibbs wrote: »

Lovely...Whats the Diameter ? 36mm I guess ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thanks, yep 36mm a "big" size for that time. Most seem to be 30mm

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wibbs wrote: »

Not a great shot? I think that dial looks beautifully clean & fresh. Can't believe it's nearly 100 years old :eek:

Educate a beginner like me. Is that watch very rare / valuable now?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭jefferson73

konnichiwa

9368524558_74209d752e_b.jpg

What can you tell us about these? My interest is raised because I've just seen another, a yellow one, sell on TZ-UK. The coloured pushers are a tad marmite but the dial and case look very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

2013-07-26111731_zps764b2798.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭jefferson73

What can you tell us about these? My interest is raised because I've just seen another, a yellow one, sell on TZ-UK. The coloured pushers are a tad marmite but the dial and case look very nice.

JDM Seiko 30th Anniversary (Giorgetto Giugiaro).

Giugiaro "Bishop" chronograph.

seikobishop.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Funky. I would happily wear one though.

http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/spirit/giugiaro/

unkel wrote: »
    Not a great shot? I think that dial looks beautifully clean & fresh. Can't believe it's nearly 100 years old :eek:
    That's mostly the porcelain/enamel dail U, they basically don't age, unless they crack. I've a slightly earlier one (1909) and looks damn near new. Think about pottery. Some stuff out there is over a thousand years old and looks like it was made yesterday.
    Educate a beginner like me. Is that watch very rare / valuable now?
    In that slightly larger size rare enough. With original hands, movement and crown(has a tiny L for Longines on it) rarer again. Funny enough the really early wristwatches aren't that valuable, even from big names and considering their age. That example I'd reckon around a thousand euros and 200 of that would be because it's got an Irish hallmark(1916 and all that). Generally a similar watch of that era from one of the big names will run you from 300 to 1200 euro and lesser names you can pick up for under 200 quid. Crazy considering they're the very start of the men wearing wristwatches era.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

i was trying to move some vintage stuff earlier this year, i couldnt, i have a 1921 hamdem ww and a 1931 longines both serviced, not an offer, i was rooting thro the box yesterday and discovered that the hamden had a crack straight across the glass, one of the joys of having old stuff, i also have an 1878 verge movement with a solid gold dial and raised markers, which i am looking for a case for. a needle in a haystack job unfortunately, as the old homestead requires a new roof its wood and slates that i am collecting nowdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

My new Citizen Eco Drive World Time Chronograph "Blue Angles" Edition (Red Arrows in Europe)

pnq9.jpg

x5s7.jpg

My very old Seiko World Timer too......

mpac.jpg

28zq.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hi all,

n00b here. I only have this Casio and am thinking of getting something more traditional/formal. Where is a good place to start, pouring over this thread? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Hi all,

n00b here. I only have this Casio and am thinking of getting something more traditional/formal. Where is a good place to start, pouring over this thread? :o

Regardless of budget....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056993759

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Hi all,

Definitely worth browsing through this thread. This thread has all sorts., From the high end to the daily beaters. Also try the " Today I'm wearing....". I'm starting to get worried about the number of watches I've bought since finding these threads....... :-(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056870591

DC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Grand, thanks. And if I see something of interest is it best to post here, or start a new thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

New Festina F16585 Chrono.

f1_zps2035d812.jpg

f2_zps517c8616.jpg

f4_zpsca680f68.jpg

f3_zps1d5d627b.jpg

f5_zpsf891491f.jpg

Has a vertically chequered face which doesn't show up, very cool looking.

Bought it for general holiday use, in and out of the pool etc. Gives the Certina a run for its money, really like it!

Damn you. :pac: I've just ordered one of that as my first forum inspired purchase. :P :)

• Advertisement

Congrats! I was prepared to drop €300-€500 on a Festina piece but everything in that range looks awful IMO. Came across the above, amongst the cheapest in their range and they look fantastic. The blue tinted model looks cool too.

Arrived today. Haven't played with it for long, but how do I set the day? I set the time, and month, but no joy on the day so far.
    I like it.

It's a pain in the ass if I remember right, you have to spin through the hours for the day to change.

Got it, thanks. There is a logic to it. What's the bottom mini dial for - the one above 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Got it, thanks. There is a logic to it. What's the bottom mini dial for - the one above 6?

It shows if it is AM or PM. Your watch is showing 8 on the hands and 20 on the subdial.Therefore I can see you took this picture at 8pm / 20:00 :)

I copped that just after I posted. :o
    I'll stop talking now. :pac:

Btw, I was on the bus the other day and thought someone opposite me was wearing a Festina and started thinking he was a boardsie. Is this what buying and posting on here does to ye? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I copped that just after I posted. :o
    I'll stop talking now. :pac:

Btw, I was on the bus the other day and thought someone opposite me was wearing a Festina and started thinking he was a boardsie. Is this what buying and posting on here does to ye? :pac:

Yes . That and credit card debt

I've had a fello Boardsie pick me out one night a few years back because of one of my watches and she wasn't even a poster in here. FWIW lads, no use as a attraction thing as she expressed more of a "ahhhh bless you're you're a bit odd about watches aren't you?". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Back to the roots again with the latest arrival.

Having spent three figure sums on the last few purchases it was time to go back to "fun for a few quid" ...twenty-odd to be precise :D

Ladieeees and Gentlemen ...the big, slim, light and OVAL Vostok handcranker:

267115.JPG
    267112.JPG
    267113.JPG
    267114.JPG

Nice size with 43 mm across (including crown) and 45 mm lug to lug, height about 10 mm, most of it domed plexi.

The plexiglass crystal will profit from a gentle polish and then it'll be near perfect.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement