Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

unkel wrote: »
    Love those pictures, world class!

'tis just the Irish weather ...nothing like a pissy April storm to create "mood lighting" on my window sill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

My IWC 5001-14 arrived last night. I couldn't be more pleased. Though I expect I will want to switch it onto a Brown croc strap as soon as I can source one!

P1020071_zpsa7bab27b.jpg

P1020072_zps9dea1e08.jpg

P1020078_zps5e7b93ad.jpg

P1020074_zpsd7dd040f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Where did ya buy that beauty

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

MiCr0 wrote: »
    not mine and stolen from reddit but it made me lol
    "Couldn't afford a grandfather clock. Close enough."

Wonder if you could buy that template

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Where did ya buy that beauty

I bought it from New York. Had it delivered to a friend, and the friend brought it to me. I got it for at least half what it costs where I live.
    BNIB, warrantied and in my name.
    PM if you want dealer's details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

That is pure class Fluffer. I have to say the IWC Portuguese range are stunning. I have tried on Homer's IWC Chrono (3714-46) and its amazing too.

I'd love the dealers details via pm if possible.

Congratulations on the purchase, Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

04AD69A5-0C64-4969-93C1-A610CC02A23C-7875-0000013EEEEF7D78_zps85d64c79.jpg
    DB4BE7F2-7ED2-4AE3-AD27-FD9341CE8128-8351-0000013FEB51600F_zps762ae0dd.jpg

Got a rubber strap for the PO today. Was planning on flipping it after I got it because I had myself convinced I wouldn't like it, but I really do. Nice summer look for the good weather. Feel like I should go scuba-diving or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That IWC is a class class act. One of my favourite brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

IWC looks superb

Love the back. so much on view

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

@fluffer

One word:

Feckin class

(well that's two but I thought the emphasis was warranted)

Would also like a pm re dealers details if you would oblige.

Thanks

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

An old Oriosa that my father owned back when he wore watches! I got it cleaned up recently. People here generally seem to have bigger watches so this might not be to everybody's taste.

8655666959_4262ee1f55_c.jpg

8656771634_759d90f5e1_c.jpg

8656771102_ef1dd0ce46_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

That's one of the nice set white faced dials I've seen. Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

IMG_5192_zpse0609e71.jpg

Bought last night as a result of peasants recommendation- just need to wait for it to arrive. On another note, it has acrylic instead of glass..... is it possible to replace this with glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

An old Oriosa that my father owned back when he wore watches! I got it cleaned up recently. People here generally seem to have bigger watches so this might not be to everybody's taste.
    they were made by jurgans of germany, imagne its value if it had the name jurgans on the dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

8E3D32633CB6473C8E3CC55D30152D9A-0000314502-0003222464-00600L-0154DB3F767445D2BB954CAFFA52277D.jpg

On another note, it has acrylic instead of glass..... is it possible to replace this with glass?

Lots of watches from that period come with a crystal that's more like a lid with a 90 degree bend at the edges ...would be difficult to find glass that fits.

Acrylic also has the advantage that scratches simply polish out

bernard0368 - never seen that Parnis before. Which seller did you get it from? I was looking for a white face dial a while back and this never showed up on any searches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    bernard0368 - never seen that Parnis before. Which seller did you get it from? I was looking for a white face dial a while back and this never showed up on any searches

Hi Lex got it from a ebay seller bluesky537, (s) he is open to offers I got this and another one for €80 inc. Delivery.

peasant wrote: »
    Lots of watches from that period come with a crystal that's more like a lid with a 90 degree bend at the edges ...would be difficult to find glass that fits.

Acrylic also has the advantage that scratches simply polish out

Ah that's a shame. I guess I'd prefer glass as the acrylic just seems 'cheap' if you know what I mean.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This definitely won't be to some (most?) people's taste so I won't take any offence.

It's a Steinhart Aviator hand-wound, which arrived today. It's definitely a chunky watch - square watches tend to wear bigger IMO, and this is 43mm across. It's got a really nice clear blue lume.

It came with three straps - the one it's on is pretty sturdy; I can barely bend it.

8661179840_17a9fd75a0.jpg

8661179820_13422c7a69.jpg

8661179802_1232b95aa6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Me likey :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

that would certainly be a monster on my wrist but looks great. What size wrist is yours Eoin?

The 44mm Parnis I got recently was probably a stretch too far for me...I think my max is 42mm on mine

Look forward to see it on the black strap. Think the 3 big holes in the strap up by the dial will tie in nicely with the small seconds dial at the 6 position

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Sorry Eoin,

It just wouldn't float my boat.

The square face and the corner "rivets" just don't do it for me.

Not a fan of any square faced watch to be honest.

Anyway, best of luck with it

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Eoin wrote: »
    No quoting pics fret_wimp2, ya fecker :)

Love it. I was a hairs breath from buying one of these 2 weeks ago, but I preferred the Christopher ward c11 a little more so ended up with that.it was close though.

Congrats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    that would certainly be a monster on my wrist but looks great. What size wrist is yours Eoin?

The 44mm Parnis I got recently was probably a stretch too far for me...I think my max is 42mm on mine

Look forward to see it on the black strap. Think the 3 big holes in the strap up by the dial will tie in nicely with the small seconds dial at the 6 position

I've never actually measured my wrist - I'll have to do that. I'm stocky enough, so I can get away with larger watches, but this is definitely a big unit.

Edit: it wears larger than any other watch I've had, including my 47mm Moscow Classic Aviator, and 45MM chunky orange faced diver. So if a round 44mm watch is a bit big, this definitely will be.
    Sorry Eoin,

It just wouldn't float my boat.

The square face and the corner "rivets" just don't do it for me.

Not a fan of any square faced watch to be honest.

Anyway, best of luck with it

TbL

Ah sure, I know it's very much a marmite watch which won't appeal to lots of people. If I was to trim down my collection, this wouldn't be a keeper - but it's something different.
    fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Love it. I was a hairs breath from buying one of these 2 weeks ago, but I preferred the Christopher ward c11 a little more so ended up with that.it was close though.

Congrats.

Thanks! Got it for a good price, so pretty happy. It's very well made. It's my 3rd hand-wound watch, and by far the smoothest to wind. I'd have gone for the CW too though, if I'd had the choice.

I recently had the good fortune to come across an e-bay offer (totally by accident) where yer man was selling new old stock GUB (Glashuette) stainless steel straps from GDR times which he had saved from the bin.

I bought four of them for twenty quid and three of them have now been installed to great advantage on some of their Soviet comrades.

Ladies and Gentlemen ...East meets East: :D

250333.JPG
    250334.JPG
    250335.JPG
    250336.JPG
    250337.JPG

These are lovely little straps, easily adjustable in length, not as hair eating as they look and I really like the way they change form 18 mm to 20 * straight at the end link.

Way too light and thin for a modern watch of course, but perfect for these oldies.

*Edit:

Slight correction: The trusted tape measure informs me that while these straps are indeed 18 mm at the lugs, they are 21 at their widest and taper to 16 at the clasp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

this old saying springd to mind, you are as lucky as a cut cat.

There are still some more available from the same source, pm me if interested

250476.jpg

It arrived today after about a 3-4 week wait. Looks great, better than the photo suggests. The strap is a little stiff so will take some breaking in.

Oh and I was extremely lucky in that I didn't pay any charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Haven't worn a watch in nearly 15 years but became interested in buying one recently. I think after trying on some fake Rolexs for the laugh I realised I was actually interested in wearing a watch again.

Picked this up in Japan:

tsqblnIl.jpg

Didn't want to spend too much, cost me about €80. Its a Seiko 5 automatic. I think this particular model is only available in Japan too. Better than spending €80 on a fake Rolex anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement