Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Cyrus wrote: »
    By the way I have a deployant for the IWC that you might like, I bought from the us, it is basically the same as my oem one without the branding at 15 percent of the price, let me know if it's of interest was going to put it up for sale next week

cheers drop me a pm and ill have a look if you have some pictures. LOVE the new PAM too by the way! Still regretting selling my base logo I got off you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That 3714... Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Homer wrote: »
    How easy was it to swap out the strap? I'd have a meltdown if I scratched the lugs trying!

I always try fingernails first before tools.
    With a bit of patience that approach has worked in most cases (with leather straps only of course)

Fingernails might need filing / a bit of regrowing afterwards ...but definitely NO scratches

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭smokey20

ballyrhy86 wrote: »
    It's a Hirsch Liberty and I got it from the Watch Band Center (http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-p7909h118s846-Watch-band-Liberty-1.html). You can get that strap from a few places online. It was fairly quick in arriving.

I got the diver from Creation Watches as well, no hassles...and no customs bill yet!

Hi Ballyrhy86, or anyone for that matter, I'm going to buy the attached liberty strap for my Seiko 007... My question is do I need to buy any of those accessories such as spring bar or tool etc?

Also, on another note, I got a letter from FedEx today saying that I owe them €9.56... The letter (well I won't say letter, just simply correspondence) from FedEx was very, very unclear, but I gathered from it that they paid the custom/duty on the 007 and now I owe them the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ballyrhy86

smokey20 wrote: »
    Hi Ballyrhy86, or anyone for that matter, I'm going to buy the attached liberty strap for my Seiko 007... My question is do I need to buy any of those accessories such as spring bar or tool etc?

Also, on another note, I got a letter from FedEx today saying that I owe them €9.56... The letter (well I won't say letter, just simply correspondence) from FedEx was very, very unclear, but I gathered from it that they paid the custom/duty on the 007 and now I owe them the money.

I wouldn't bother with a springbar tool. I use a thin bladed knife, or else you could pop into a jewellers and get them to change the strap. They probably won't charge or will charge very little. I found the springbars on the 007 to be a small bit thick for the Hirsch strap, although they did squeeze through in the end. It might be no harm to pick up a set while you're at it.

I managed to get away with customs from Creation Watches, but a tenner ain't too bad I suppose! Did you go with free or paid shipping out of interest? I went with free shipping.

How do you like the watch??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I wouldn't bother with a springbar tool. I use a thin bladed knife, or else you could pop into a jewellers and get them to change the strap. They probably won't charge or will charge very little. I found the springbars on the 007 to be a small bit thick for the Hirsch strap, although they did squeeze through in the end. It might be no harm to pick up a set while you're at it.

I managed to get away with customs from Creation Watches, but a tenner ain't too bad I suppose! Did you go with free or paid shipping out of interest? I went with free shipping.

I wouldn't trust a shop assistant in a jewellers with any of my watches

Thanks for the reply Bally much appreciated.

I went with the free shipping, which was a great service, but raging to get the bill yesterday all the same.

How do I like the watch? For the moment it doesn't sit right on my wrist, it's always off centre, but I'm putting that solely down to the strap. And also the strap in general is extremely uncomfortable to the point I'm not going to wear it again until I change the strap.

Cyrus, the 007 is hardly the quality of watch that I have seen you posting up (no offence Bally or any other 007 owners) it's hardly a IWC or such like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cyrus, the 007 is hardly the quality of watch that I have seen you posting up (no offence Bally or any other 007 owners) it's hardly a IWC or such like.

Wouldn't matter to me what type of watch it was that said I'm a fussy bugger :D

Wouldn't matter to me what type of watch it was that said I'm a fussy bugger :D

Sorry Cyrus, was just going back in to delete that comment, but too late you've seen it now.

Your right, it doesn't matter what type of watch it is, ain't nobody should be scratching them, it's not a scab!!

Aye true enough. Smokey it might be best to practise on an old watch you might have lying around before attempting to change the strap with anything pointy!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply Bally much appreciated.

I went with the free shipping, which was a great service, but raging to get the bill yesterday all the same.

How do I like the watch? For the moment it doesn't sit right on my wrist, it's always off centre, but I'm putting that solely down to the strap. And also the strap in general is extremely uncomfortable to the point I'm not going to wear it again until I change the strap.

I love the watch, I'm desk-diving today!

That's probably the strap, I've read that the rubber strap can take a bit of breaking in and have heard of people leaving them in hot water to soften them. Perhaps someone might know of a way to improve the wearability of a rubber strap? Anyway pics ffs, this has gone very off-topic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This arrived during the week - it's a Hamilton Traveller II GMT.

I was looking for something a little dressier than my current collection, but not too much so. I think this is a nice mix.

8579617681_27857a5b46_z.jpg

8579654901_5b1c4a6d93_z.jpg

That's nice, especially on the mesh

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I'm blaming Peasant for this one. Took a punt on it from a Bulgarian seller; it's fairly buggered (however it's working perfectly) but the stardust dial is quite attractive. Think it would look best on a smokey blue NATO; anybody have any better ideas? A good size at about 40mm (though the 18mm strap looks a little thin) and the only brassing on the chromed case is where the back has been prized off for whatever reason - hopefully not frequent repairs. I'll need to work out the whole Cyrillic day of the week thing.

DSC_7487.JPG
    DSC_7494.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

stardust? :D

I'll need to work out the whole Cyrillic day of the week thing.

понедельник = Monday
    вторник = Tuesday
    среда = Wednesday
    четверг = Thursday
    пятница = Friday
    суббота = Saturday
    воскресенье = Sunday

so it's either Tuesday or Sunday on your watch ...Sunday ought to be red though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

peasant wrote: »
    понедельник = Monday
    вторник = Tuesday
    среда = Wednesday
    четверг = Thursday
    пятница = Friday
    суббота = Saturday
    воскресенье = Sunday

Peasant,

You gotta get out more :)

TbL

emo72 wrote: »
    stardust? :D

Star rust more like,but es gefällt mir.

peasant wrote: »

Thanks for that, I just need to figure out how the quick-set date works and everything will be wonderful :D.

Thanks for that, I just need to figure out how the quick-set date works and everything will be wonderful :D.

This should be a Raketa 2628 movement and work like this:

There is no day quickset, you have to advance the hands the full 24 hours to move the day.
    The date on the other hand should be advancable one day at a time by pulling the stem all the way out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I realized I've never owned a Citizen watch before so trawling through eBay I was looking at all sorts of Chronos but then spotted the below. Read a few reviews/watched some YouTube reviews and they were all glowing. So I'm just after pulling the trigger.

BM8475-00X.jpg

Citizen BM8475-00X.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

I realized I've never owned a Citizen watch before so trawling through eBay I was looking at all sorts of Chronos but then spotted the below. Read a few reviews/watched some YouTube reviews and they were all glowing. So I'm just after pulling the trigger.

BM8475-00X.jpg

Citizen BM8475-00X.

I had one of them but with the white face when I worked with you. loved it. looked at it one day and I had somehow broke the crystal. very upsetting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I had one of them but with the white face when I worked with you. loved it. looked at it one day and I had somehow broke the crystal. very upsetting

Aw sorry to hear that. I'm sure you probably showed it to me but as you know I have a shocking memory. Can you not get the crystal replaced one of these days?

Edit: What's the model number of the one with the white face?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Aw sorry to hear that. I'm sure you probably showed it to me but as you know I have a shocking memory. Can you not get the crystal replaced one of these days?

Edit: What's the model number of the one with the white face?

yeah ill get it done eventually. just haven't had the spare cash to get it done

hmmm just looked at it and it has a black face but a silver body and green cloth strap. good no nonsense watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Nolimits

The Orient I posted in the bargain thread just arrived from Seiya this morning. It took about a week to Ireland by EMS, didn't stay in customs long, but long enough for them to sting me with a €72.00 charge :(

Got a couple of brochures from Seiya, an Orient Mechanical one and a Casio one
    3IU2Wml.jpg

The display back does have some decoration (may not show up on the photo) but to be honest it's nothing special
    k3yCTLm.jpg

It's a Somes leather strap, for those who don't know (probably everyone) they make horses saddles.
    U4zPBvD.jpg
    This is very stiff at the moment, I had trouble bending the strap under the keeper, though you can tell this is a really high quality strap and I have no doubt it'll fit me like a glove in a few weeks

It's the face where this really comes alive (apologies for the dust)
    rVuJB1s.jpg

gM4jhXc.jpg

zgcgEzy.jpg

Couple of quick hairy wristshots
    rUZ4NHX.jpg

rUZ4NHX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Here's my small collection. It's nothing compared to some of the pieces on here but we all start somewhere! Hopefully I'll be building on it over the next while.

8589602632_1d40c3cce5.jpg

8589607120_ed28a5e968.jpg

8589609172_9c82aee3b4.jpg

8588498799_b35719008c.jpg

I've gone and done an uncle on my Quondam :D

The heavy watch sliding around on the loose fitting bracelet was getting on my nerves ...and hurt the back of my hand.

I always wanted to try out a handmade vintage strap and the Quondam seemed like an ideal candidate ...so when this one popped up on the bay I went and ordered it.

(please excuse the paw marks all over the watch, but a had to make hay while the sun shone)

246362.JPG
    246363.JPG
    246364.JPG
    246365.JPG
    246366.JPG

A very nice strap, very well made, very happy with it.

Also very supple despite a thickness of four or more mm. Doesn't quite come across in the pictures but this a biiig strap (especially where the layers overlap) and you need a big watch & wrist to carry it off convincingly. The 43 mm Quondam and my 20 cm wrist would be at the lower end of the scale here :D

I bought the strap from this fella here:
    http://www.ebay.de/sch/doktordenim2012/m.html?item=111023021129&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562
    http://www.v7-strap.de/

He uses recycled leather from such things as satchels, suitcases, biker combis and carseats to make his straps.

If I can find a few more suitable watches I'd certainly buy a few more of his products.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That looks brilliant peasant - it looks so much better because it's not pristine looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

That does look very well peasant, fits really nicely.

That Russian that you forced me to buy arrived today too ... :)

s476uf.jpg

While it must seem a bit odd to get a watch and start talking first about the strap, I am however mighty impressed with the strap! Very soft leather, long, really well made and comfortable. Watch itself is good, lume is fine (for my demands anyhow), bezel turns one way only, chrono is sub-second (which I hadn't realised), hacks and has quick date so all in all terrific value purchase! Very pleased with it.

• Advertisement

art wrote: »
    That Russian that you forced me to buy arrived today too ... :)

I deny all responsibility !

(then again ...you seem to like it ...how about a commission? :D)

looks fab, btw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement